PDA

View Full Version : GET RID OF REPUTATION

Shrike
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Moderators: The reputation system is the reason for much of the strife on this board. It is the reason why several members have multiple accounts in order to gang up on people who they don't like or who they just can't engage in intelligent debate. It is a broken system and always has been. Get rid of it!

Those of us who have been here a while know who the trolls are and aren't so reputation is unneeded. New members will learn quickly. There is no need for reputation - get rid of it and you will eliminate one of the things that is dragging this forum down.

- James

giggawatt
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I tried going down this road. The mods are powerless. It is a website issue and they straight up told me that it would not be changed. However, thanks to SomeRandomGuy, the reputation system is no longer anonymous. Sure it takes a bit of effort but you can identify anyone that reps or negs you and hit them back if necessary.

CrustySMSgt
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
It did significantly drop off once they couldn't hide behind their keyboard... but I concur

efmbman
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I tried going down this road. The mods are powerless. It is a website issue and they straight up told me that it would not be changed. However, thanks to SomeRandomGuy, the reputation system is no longer anonymous. Sure it takes a bit of effort but you can identify anyone that reps or negs you and hit them back if necessary.

i am not so sure about that. i have been an admin/mod on vbulletin forums, and the rep system an optional feature. it can be removed.

i do agree that it should removed here. it does nothing but cause trouble and allow the less mature to devolve more.

AJBIGJ
03-28-2013, 05:35 AM
I concur as well, while it is kind of fun to be able to "respond in kind" now that we can track the source. It does get old, and the only real alternative we have is to get a bunch of people together and rep bomb the bejeezus out of em until their rep-giving powers are absolutely negligible (also why the troll who created the actual "Sithlord" account apparently left the playing field, they never posted to get hit in return and got must have gotten sick of hitting us up with gray dings).

Monkey
03-28-2013, 06:52 AM
No way! My reputation represents who I am. How else will I ever be able to judge my self-worth?

KellyinAvon
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Moderators: The reputation system is the reason for much of the strife on this board. It is the reason why several members have multiple accounts in order to gang up on people who they don't like or who they just can't engage in intelligent debate. It is a broken system and always has been. Get rid of it!

Those of us who have been here a while know who the trolls are and aren't so reputation is unneeded. New members will learn quickly. There is no need for reputation - get rid of it and you will eliminate one of the things that is dragging this forum down.

- James

I think we peaked at the "Blutarski Incident". (Chief Wiggums voice) That was some good hate boys.

Greg
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
After separating from active duty, I worked for a trucking company as an on-the-road supervisor, and as such my work days were varied. Some days I spent the majority of the time on the road, doing saftey patrols, route audits, landfill observations, and accident investigations. Other days were spent, mostly, in the office getting caught up on paperwork, or working the dispatch desk.

After some time, I started to ponder, to myself, which group engages in more drama, emotion, or histrionics; the females of the front offices, or the big, burley truck drivers? After awhile I found it didn't matter, humans are human!

CrustySMSgt
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Interesting... as soon as I posted about the appearance that the fella above me forgot which profile he posted under in the "Thanks Moderators" thread, it disappeared...

CrustySMSgt
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
I just went fully through all options like the above says we can do and there is no option like it says to turn off rep view.

Unless I'm missing it, the term "User CP" is no longer used on this vbulliten forum, which would indivate to me the FAQs are outdated.

CrustySMSgt
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Chief, your banter and accusations ruined that thread, but you're still okay in my book.

Well played! :usa2

Banned
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
As a vbulletin site... I think there is a way to turn off reputation - or tweak it so it isn't as ridiculously bloated as it is now.

Vrake
03-28-2013, 04:47 PM
I concur as well, while it is kind of fun to be able to "respond in kind" now that we can track the source. It does get old, and the only real alternative we have is to get a bunch of people together and rep bomb the bejeezus out of em until their rep-giving powers are absolutely negligible (also why the troll who created the actual "Sithlord" account apparently left the playing field, they never posted to get hit in return and got must have gotten sick of hitting us up with gray dings).

Well said..

My solution is the opposite though.

REP bomb everyone (and I mean everyone) with positives that would be the same as no rep. Let people's words speak for themselves and over time someone who has something to contribute will be known. The trolls will be ignored and maybe go away.

<-- stupid Squid checking in :)

Banned
03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
I propose either scrapping it entirely, or let users opt out of it.

Again - as a vbulletin site... there is a way to allow users to "disable" their reputation system. So many potential solutions... why don't the mods do any of it? Your guess is as good as mine!

sandsjames
03-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Man, it's good to be back. I've learned my lesson.

On a totally different topic, thread_cop PMed me and said he was going on vacation, so probably won't be posting for some time.

Banned
03-28-2013, 07:41 PM
If the last software let users choose to not display rep, why not this update.

Psshhhh... again - I have not the slightest idea. The logic by which this place is run eludes me sometimes.

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Man, it's good to be back. I've learned my lesson.

On a totally different topic, thread_cop PMed me and said he was going on vacation, so probably won't be posting for some time.

lol... welcome back!

Banned
03-30-2013, 01:42 AM
lol... welcome back!

Some of us are willing to take a trip to ban camp like a man... apparently for some people, that "fight for flight" reflex kicks in, and they create an alt-account so they can continue gabbering even during the ban.

Banned
03-30-2013, 02:16 AM
When I get a neg rep, this is my response:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/532903_539233989462652_1477590121_n.jpg

technomage1
03-30-2013, 04:43 AM
The rep system needs to be disabled or moderated. It's way better now you can figure out who left you rep, but allowing a troll to run unchecked for 8 months and leave helpful "feedback" such as "faggot" was too much. Not cool.

On the other hand, I never gave so much positive rep as I did then, trying to mitigate the effect this was having on the boards. I still don't know why anyone would take the time or effort to create multiple accounts and try to harass people.

PickYourBattles
03-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Some of us are willing to take a trip to ban camp like a man... apparently for some people, that "fight for flight" reflex kicks in, and they create an alt-account so they can continue gabbering even during the ban.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Joe Bonham again.

CrustySMSgt
03-30-2013, 05:45 AM

And don't even try and hide it... :noidea

Banned
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Wow, so the site was down for a day for maintenance... and it still runs like shit. How impressive.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
It keeps putting my posts in font of others. One has my post with a quote in it, before the actual post I quoted.

sandsjames
04-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Nice. The "fight or flight" thing. Way to borrow more material from PYB.

Again, not sure who you are talking about. My sig line states that what you are saying is absolutely untrue.

Oh, and as mentioned before, "thread_cop" has been around for quite awhile so couldn't have been "created" to beat the ban. I'm glad that the thing that makes you feel like a man is taking your punishment from irrelevant mods. Way to go.

sandsjames
04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
And don't even try and hide it... :noidea

Definitely. If one is going to attempt to take on the mods and use an alt account they should try to cover it up. The consequences handed down from the mods on this site are some pretty serious shit.

On the other hand, I guess you could act like this is really an important place to be and pretend that a ban actually has some meaning. I don't know why, but I guess you could.

TJMAC77SP
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM

'Take it like a man'.........Butt Hole Surfers reference?

Hey, who is the girl with the pretty blue hair?

Rainmaker
04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
It keeps putting my posts in font of others. One has my post with a quote in it, before the actual post I quoted.

Rainmaker wonder how you did that geewhiz shizit.

Banned
04-03-2013, 11:01 PM

No idea what that is... but sounds intriguing.

A psychology major I know... going Public Affairs got me addicted to photographing pretty things.

Pullinteeth
04-04-2013, 03:05 PM

Could be a Michelle Wright reference.... My hair was that color about a decade ago...but I am not a chick so it can't be me!

TJMAC77SP
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
No idea what that is... but sounds intriguing.

A psychology major I know... going Public Affairs got me addicted to photographing pretty things.

Although I am too old to actually date women with hair that color I actually find the colors intriguing and attractive (most of the time).

As to my historical reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butthole_Surfers)...............The line in the song was (if I recall correctly)..."Fist Fuck.....take it like a man"

Banned
04-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Although I am too old to actually date women with hair that color I actually find the colors intriguing and attractive (most of the time).

As to my historical reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butthole_Surfers)...............The line in the song was (if I recall correctly)..."Fist Fuck.....take it like a man"

Its not quite that vibrant in real life... took some editing to get the nice shine to it.

sandsjames
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Its not quite that vibrant in real life... took some editing to get the nice shine to it.

So you're saying that it takes photoshop to make the women you know look attractive?

Banned
04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
So you're saying that it takes photoshop to make the women you know look attractive?

The level of editing is dependent on the photographer. Some will edit the living shit out of their photos. I don't - I mostly keep my editing to color correction - adjusting the exposure, and maybe adding a bit of extra jazz to the picture. I believe imperfection is what it means to be human, so I don't attempt to make the model perfect... nor would I find it attractive to do so.

sandsjames
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
The level of editing is dependent on the photographer. Some will edit the living shit out of their photos. I don't - I mostly keep my editing to color correction - adjusting the exposure, and maybe adding a bit of extra jazz to the picture. I believe imperfection is what it means to be human, so I don't attempt to make the model perfect... nor would I find it attractive to do so.

I was just messin' around. She seems attractive in a Lady Gaga kind of way.

Pullinteeth
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Looks like they got rid of rep...

MACHINE666
04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
The Military Times moderators should've enhanced the reputation system, instead of doing away with it.

People could vote on which posts are awesome, and which posts suck.

Posts that are awesome are given boners.

Post that suck are given turd piles.

The more boners or turd piles someone has on a post stays on that post only.

That way, they can redeem themselves from talking like a shit stain on one post, by supporting their claim on a different post by doing cock push-ups.

Is good, ja?

:D

Sergeant eNYgma
04-09-2013, 07:43 PM

How can you find out? I just leave my username initials so people know I gave rep. I don't neg rep though never did...

giggawatt
04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
How can you find out? I just leave my username initials so people know I gave rep. I don't neg rep though never did...

There was an entire thread explaining it. It ended the reign of the neg rep Sith Lord. It's a mute point now.

Pullinteeth
04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
There was an entire thread explaining it. It ended the reign of the neg rep Sith Lord. It's a mute point now.

Moot point...though it is silent...hmmmmm....