PDA

View Full Version : Retroactive Compensation Payment from VA

efmbman
03-26-2013, 11:44 PM
I got a letter in the mail today from the VA. The letter stated:

The Defense Authorization Acts of 2003 and 2004 established two programs whereby certain military retirees may have restored to them some or all of the retired pay they waived as required by law to receive disability compensation from VA. VA has worked with DFAS Cleveland to develop a method for making retroactive Combat Related Special Compansation (CRSC). Concurrent Receipt of Retired and Disability Pay (CRDP) payments and VA disability payments previously withheld but now permitted by law.

Long story short... they deposited almost $7,000 in my account today. I was placed on the retired list on 1 SEP 2012, so I can't imagine how I would be eligible for such a payment.

Have any of you other Blue ID holders received this letter? Does this sound like a mistake?

KellyinAvon
03-27-2013, 12:05 AM
I got a letter in the mail today from the VA. The letter stated:

The Defense Authorization Acts of 2003 and 2004 established two programs whereby certain military retirees may have restored to them some or all of the retired pay they waived as required by law to receive disability compensation from VA. VA has worked with DFAS Cleveland to develop a method for making retroactive Combat Related Special Compansation (CRSC). Concurrent Receipt of Retired and Disability Pay (CRDP) payments and VA disability payments previously withheld but now permitted by law.

Long story short... they deposited almost $7,000 in my account today. I was placed on the retired list on 1 SEP 2012, so I can't imagine how I would be eligible for such a payment.

Have any of you other Blue ID holders received this letter? Does this sound like a mistake?

Are you 50% or more service connected disability? This sounds like concurrent receipt. Touch base with a Veterans Service Officer before you buy something really cool.

efmbman
03-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Are you 50% or more service connected disability? This sounds like concurrent receipt. Touch base with a Veterans Service Officer before you buy something really cool.

Yes, I am. Case was finalized 25 FEB 2013. Maybe the letter is trying to tell me I am getting the dual payments..? So I get retirement pay as well as a compensation pay?

KellyinAvon
03-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Yes, I am. Case was finalized 25 FEB 2013. Maybe the letter is trying to tell me I am getting the dual payments..? So I get retirement pay as well as a compensation pay?

That's what it sounds like. Get it double checked before cashing the check.

efmbman
03-27-2013, 12:20 AM
That's what it sounds like. Get it double checked before cashing the check.

Definitely! If I learned anything from being in the military, it is don't trust finance to get it right. When overpayed, put it in savings because they will take it back without warning. Thanks for the input.

tiredretiredE7
03-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Yes you do get two payments of retirement and disability compensation pay. It looks like you received back compensation pay for the months in between the time you filed for compensation disability pay and the first month you started receiving the compensation disability pay. I am guessing about 7 months? Make sure a veteran service agency reviews what you received to ensure you got the full amount.

I am not sure how Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) applies. I am still waiting on my back pay from the VA. The last I heard was I would be receive my back pay in Dec 2013 and I started receiving payments Oct 2012.

efmbman
03-27-2013, 11:57 PM
The VA has an annoying but effective callback system. You leave a message and choose a time and believe it or not, someone does call you at that time.

It all checked out. The $7K is back pay for the disability compensation going back to my retirement date of 1 SEP 2012. The guy that I spoke to was shocked that I would question if I was actually eligible for this money. I do appreciate all the input and hopefully this information will clear things up for someone else in the future.

CrustySMSgt
03-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Damn, now I can't remember if my wife is 30% or 50%... but she only gets a concurrent payment of $500 as a 25 year SMSgt, so $7k seems like a lot, unless you're at a much higher percentage. VA math makes my head hurt... lol

efmbman
03-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Damn, now I can't remember if my wife is 30% or 50%... but she only gets a concurrent payment of $500 as a 25 year SMSgt, so $7k seems like a lot, unless you're at a much higher percentage. VA math makes my head hurt... lol

i am rated at 70. the $7K is for 5 months of back pay.

CrustySMSgt
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
i am rated at 70. the $7K is for 5 months of back pay.

Just checked with my wife, she's 60% and only gets $500 a month as a 25 year SMSgt. If I remember correctly, you're an "O"; $1400 a month concurrent pay... very nice!!

efmbman
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Just checked with my wife, she's 60% and only gets $500 a month as a 25 year SMSgt. If I remember correctly, you're an "O"; $1400 a month concurrent pay... very nice!!

I agree it is nice but I was not an officer. The high amount was another reason I wanted to talk to someone about it. But they convinced me it is legit. The guy walked me through it in very simple terms.

CrustySMSgt
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
I agree it is nice but I was not an officer. The high amount was another reason I wanted to talk to someone about it. But they convinced me it is legit. The guy walked me through it in very simple terms.

Didn't mean to insult you like that... :madgrin:tape

I wasn't sure, but the amount you were getting had me thinking maybe that was the case. If I remember correctly (we have separate finances, so I'm not sure) she gets $2,500 a month and then the VA check for $500 as a 60% 25 year SMSgt, so $1400 a month seems pretty darn high (or my wife's getting hosed!)

efmbman
03-28-2013, 03:09 PM
It does seem off. Seems like you wife may be getting short changed.

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 05:19 AM
It does seem off. Seems like you wife may be getting short changed.

OK, I guess I was behind the times... as I said, we don't mix our money, so I have no real idea what she gets. I guess in the beginning she got a check for $500 and I never heard anything more. Talked to her and she told me a couple months later she got some back pay and now her concurrent check is around $1k, so that's much closer to what you're getting.

efmbman
03-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Glad to hear that. It bothers me to think that a deserving vet is not getting taken care of.

efmbman
06-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Does this retroactive payment happen automatically and if so, how long does it take to happen? Thank you very much.

It is automatic, but I should qualify that as some things need to happen.

Once you get your rating, your part is basically done. It is up to the VA to transmit the change of payment information to DFAS. If you are retired and over 50%, you will receive your retirement pay in full. You will also receive a VA compensation check based on your percentage. If you are under 50%, the math gets kinda weird because DFAS will decrease your pay to level not to exceed the compensation payment + the retirement.

That's how it is working for me... others may want to chime in to share their situation.

efmbman
06-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Sir, thanks for the reply. In relation to the retroactive part, say they owe 6 months retroactive disability pay,
How long after rating decision does dfas take to pay out?

It took 6 weeks in my case because of the timing. Just like in the military, transactions applied after the 20th of the month will not take effect the 1st of the next month; it will be the following 1st of the month.

wildman
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
This may be a tad off the topic and if it is please place it where you think it should go.

Social Security disability works just about the same way. Took me three years before I was declared and I did get back pay to the date of my diagnosis. Also there are different categories. VA does not recognizance this as it was not service connected, found this out the hard way. I did get Medicare part A and B however and being retired I do have Tricare for life. Made the mistake of using a VA hospital that wound up costing me a pretty penny, didn't make that mistake again. Pass this along to any who may be in the same situation.

Always.
Wildman

jody
06-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your opinion.

RobotChicken
06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Hmmmm?????????????????

wildman
06-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Sir, you have stoked my interest. What was your experience at the VA and how was there an expense incurred?

Shortly after having arrived in Kansas having moved from California I developed cellulites so I drove the hour to Fort Leavenworth not knowing they no longer had an active hospital. I was told to check the VA hospital. I told them at VA I had Medicare part A and B and I had Tricare for life. I was admitted to the hospital and treated. I stayed three days. A week latter I get a bill for the hospital stay and all the medication. Was told they do not take Medicare nor Tricare. The bill came to around $3000.00. If I had used a civilian hospital Medicare and Tricare would have covered the entire thing.

Always,
Wildman

RobotChicken
06-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Post #23 after #24...........:rocketwhore:

wildman
06-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Had you been rated for that as a disability? Does the VA accept insurances?
Can people go to VA and get treated for anything they need, or just what
they got rated for? Thanks for your time.

I don't know the answer to this. I now use a civilian doctor (love her) and if necessary a civilian hospital. Medicare and Tricare cover it. Not all doctors will take Medicare or Tricare so if one goes this route they need to check beforehand. I also would make sure you understand what the VA will and will not cover before you use them if you go that route. That was my mistake I took the word of an individual at VA who did not know what they were talking about plus I was sicker than a dog at the time. My disability is civilian related and not military. I am 100% Social Security disabled however.

Always,
Wildman

Endorphika
06-17-2013, 09:34 PM
efmban

Did anything change with your CRSC monthly allotment? Have you learned anything about the process that you can share? My husband got a letter in March stating that he's eligible for 50% CRSC and it dates back to Sep.2011, but the only payment he's received is the monthly payment of 760. no large sums. I'm curious as to why your payment has already hit and you were eligible one year after he was. Perhaps it has to do with whichever VA regional facility it's coming from?? Ours is in Louisville.

efmbman
06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
efmban

Did anything change with your CRSC monthly allotment? Have you learned anything about the process that you can share? My husband got a letter in March stating that he's eligible for 50% CRSC and it dates back to Sep.2011, but the only payment he's received is the monthly payment of 760. no large sums. I'm curious as to why your payment has already hit and you were eligible one year after he was. Perhaps it has to do with whichever VA regional facility it's coming from?? Ours is in Louisville.

The originating office could be a factor. I have heard that Nebraska, Oakland, Baltimore and others have serious problems. The only saving grace (and I know this is not the right answer) is that eventually the back pay will arrive. If your husband has a myPay account, CRSC can be accessed/viewed there.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Just checked my compensation status and see that the contractor (QTC) that did my VA physical, blood work, etc is two weeks overdue on getting their results back to the VA. I'm only four months into my claim process and already want to kick someone's ass!

TwinkieToes
06-18-2013, 03:37 AM
What VA claim pgrm are you usng? I ask b/c you say you are 4 months into claim and hd your VA exam, i saw you said in anther thread that you just got paroled and startd growing facial hair. what do you mean paroled?what I am confused b/c most people do not hav VA exam until after final out dte, at least thats what my husbnd had too do. So I am guesing there is some new pgrm that allows early VA exam befor offl ret date. This could be educational for upcoming retires;

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-18-2013, 03:53 AM
What VA claim pgrm are you usng? I ask b/c you say you are 4 months into claim and hd your VA exam, i saw you said in anther thread that you just got paroled and startd growing facial hair. what do you mean paroled?what I am confused b/c most people do not hav VA exam until after final out dte, at least thats what my husbnd had too do. So I am guesing there is some new pgrm that allows early VA exam befor offl ret date. This could be educational for upcoming retires;

I think they call it BDD. I filed my claim and was subsequently evaluated before my terminal leave started. I am not officially retired until 1 Sep.

lowdog5
08-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Hi there, I was just reading your post and it sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. I was awarded an approval for a claim I submitted back in September 2008 for Sleep Apnea and I received my first monthly payment on October 1st 2012. I received a direct deposit payment of $2.700 from DFAS but nothing from VA for retro-CRDP from September 2008-September 2012. Its August 2013 and still haven't heard a word from the VA in reference to this payment. My asumption is if you got $7k for approx. 6 months.....My payment would be substantialy larger because we are talking about 4 years of back-pay. Would I be correct in this asumption? I did retire in 2001 (20years) and my Disability is service connected.....Any info would be greatly appricated.

Sincerely,
Mark

efmbman
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
I would guess you are correct. The process will pass through DFAS so they can either make adjustments to your retiree account or verify no adjustments are required. Since you have a rating over 50%, it is a check the block - it should not affect your retiree payments. It does take time, however. How long? Who knows. In my case, I get the checks each month but only my retiree pay is viewable on myPay.

Hugh Mongus
08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
This is the shortened version of my experience with the VA:

I also participated in the BDD program thinking it would get me ahead of the backlog and long wait. It did not. I completed my claim and all my QTC appointment in September 2012. I went on terminal leave in November and did not receive my first monthly payment until August 2013. The first thing that anyone dealing with the VA needs to understand is that it is going to take time and you will get pissed off. I initiated my claim with the DAV. I received a call from a VA rep at Tinker telling me I needed to drive 1.5 hours to sign a new claim because the DAV did not do mine correctly and left off many medical issues. I asked if I could do it via email or fax to save the drive. Of course an original signature was required. Then I get a letter from the VA May 2013 telling me my claim has been adjudicated but I needed to submit another form waiving my retired pay because the person that filed my claim failed to put an "X" in a block. I immediately filled it out and faxed it to the number they provided the following morning. I waited a couple of weeks and called to verify they had it. This is when I learned the VA has 21 days to enter new documents into their system. This means that your paperwork is now in line, not being processed. I waited three more weeks and called back. They said they had no record of ever receiving it. I told them I had the original form and the fax receipt that showed successful transmission but they didn't care. This is when things really started going down hill. I had to resubmit this form three times and eventually give it to a friend of mine that works at the local VA to get it into their system. Then I waited two more months and still had heard nothing. I called the VA and they told me my claim had been sent to DFAS for a pay audit and it would be approximately another 3 months. Then I called DFAS to see if they were in fact auditing my account. Guess what, they had not received anything from the VA. The lady at DFAS was nice enough to let me know that once they receive paperwork from the VA they have 45 days to audit my pay account then they send it all back to the VA. She said it had been taking the VA up to 3 months to issue payments after they received everything back. I also had to send in a form adding my dependents to my file so I could receive the correct amount of compensation which I thought was funny because i can click over to the education benefit part of Ebenefit and all my dependents are already listed there. Anyway, after being lied to by the VA and figuring it was going to be months down the road before I got anything accomplished I sent an email to my congressman. It is amazing the things that get accomplished when you do this. My dependents were added to my file, my claim was closed and first payment established within three days of me sending that email. I received a check for four months of the difference between my retired pay and my compensation. I am still waiting for my retro pay. I am hoping to get it soon. Since then I have been enrolled in the VR&E program receiving $900 a month. They bought me a new laptop and printer for school.

I have not had anything go well dealing with compensation. VR&E was simple, quick, and easy.

efmbman
08-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear about all your troubles, but I keyed in on this:

I also participated in the BDD program thinking it would get me ahead of the backlog and long wait. It did not.

Unfortunate that you missed the threads, but a few folks have posted on this forum the evil of BDD. The VA even had a press release recently about doing the fully developed claim as the way to go. I can't find the VA release, but there is this:

(CHEYENNE, Wyo). – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) invites all those who assist, serve, treat, or otherwise interact with Veterans and their families on a regular basis to participate in a special workshop on the Fully Developed Claims (FDC) Program, hosted by the Cheyenne VA Veterans Service Center.

Submission of a “Fully Developed Claim” is the fastest way for Veterans to receive decisions on their benefit claims. These workshops are designed specifically for all of VA’s partners and stakeholders who help Veterans and their families with VA benefit claims. The workshops provide an opportunity to learn more about the FDC Program and how to encourage and help Veterans file FDCs.

Read more: KCSG Television - Cheyenne VA Veterans Service Center to Host Workshop on Fully Developed Claims (http://www.kcsg.com/view/full_story/23364799/article-Cheyenne-VA-Veterans-Service-Center-to-Host-Workshop-on--Fully-Developed-Claims-?instance=more_local_news1#ixzz2c4crcqDG)

Not trying to rub it in, but maybe this will help another Vet.

jdintn
12-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know how one would be able to confirm that your retro (back pay) is in the cue for consideration. My claim was submitted in Aug 2012. Was approved 1 Sep 2013. Just received a deposit for Nov 2013, and as I understand, should have 14 months of back pay. According to the local VA rep, this can take up to a year to be paid. I did have to file a form to add my wife. Logged on to eBenefits and do see this was received and it shows the status.
Would appreciate any input.

Jim D

jdintn
12-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I retired in 1967. In Aug 2012, I applied for disability. Was awarded 80%, effective 1 Sept 2012. First deposit just received for Nov, 2013. I understand the 14 months back pay takes up to a year, but is there a way to verify i'm in the cue or does one just wait a year to see if you receive back pay? If you know.

thanks, Jim in Tn

jdintn
12-29-2013, 03:09 PM
re: VA back pay

I was approved for disability on 1 Nov 2013. I received a payment on 24 Dec 2013 for 14 months of back pay (Sept 12-Oct 13). I had bee told this could take up to a year. Of course, it didn't include my dependent status, as this is still being processed. Bear in mind, everyone's situation is a little different.

VFFTSGT
01-02-2014, 01:03 AM
re: VA back pay

I was approved for disability on 1 Nov 2013. I received a payment on 24 Dec 2013 for 14 months of back pay (Sept 12-Oct 13). I had bee told this could take up to a year. Of course, it didn't include my dependent status, as this is still being processed. Bear in mind, everyone's situation is a little different.

My retroactive pay came quick too but my claim also processed much faster than expected. *shocked*

However, they did not include the dependent status either. Apparently, there was an error on that dependent form and instead of spending 5 seconds to make a phone call to me they typed up two very long paragraphs in the notification packet telling me why I am not receiving compensation for dependents yet.

jdintn
01-02-2014, 01:24 PM
If you don't mind telling me, what was the error on your dependent form? I might need to check mine as the VA rep filled it out and sent it in for me. I know it was received because I have an account on eBenefits and there it shows it will be processed between Feb 20 and May 2. If you rather send this info through an email, my address is jdaugherty9@gmail.com
Thanks, jim

VFFTSGT
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
If you don't mind telling me, what was the error on your dependent form? I might need to check mine as the VA rep filled it out and sent it in for me. I know it was received because I have an account on eBenefits and there it shows it will be processed between Feb 20 and May 2. If you rather send this info through an email, my address is jdaugherty9@gmail.com
Thanks, jim

sent u a PM

jdintn
01-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I can see the couple of messages I posted and the one Military Times sent me, but you message does not show? I'm probably doing something wrong. Not a problem though. I signed on to eBenefits and it shows they are reviewing my dependent form and even gives a projected completion date. It just takes time.

RetC141BFCC
01-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I can see the couple of messages I posted and the one Military Times sent me, but you message does not show? I'm probably doing something wrong. Not a problem though. I signed on to eBenefits and it shows they are reviewing my dependent form and even gives a projected completion date. It just takes time.

Ok from someone was has been dealing with the VA for over 10 years take ebenfits with a grain of salt. My claim for two children on ebenfits shows completion date of Aug 2013 this is to put my two daughters back on my claim. When u call the 1800 827 1000 number u get Peggy. You all remember Peggy from the discover commercials this is Peggy how can I help you. Please check out had it.com had it is one word for some great information. If the VA screws up your claim and does not put you kids or wife on your claim it is considered a new claim. Good luck

jdintn
01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your post. I just now reviewed the VA form 21-686c I filed to add my wife. (the VA rep completed it and I reviewed) Have her birth date as 1-1-1932 and it should be 1-15-1932. I suppose they will reject it because of this?? If I read what you are saying, they will not retroactive the extra payment for a spouse? Only start when she is approved? I was wondering about this. A DAV rep filled out my initial claim and never mentioned that I needed to file this form and I just didn't know about it. Guess I should have did more homework before filing a claim.

jdintn
01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Can anyone give me instruction on opening a private message in my inbox? have been trying to display 2 messages in my inbox for several days. Thanks

UncaRastus
01-09-2014, 03:46 PM
On the top left, under Forums, there should be a Private Message heading. Push that, when you arrive at your messages, click on the message.

RetC141BFCC
01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Just checked my compensation status and see that the contractor (QTC) that did my VA physical, blood work, etc is two weeks overdue on getting their results back to the VA. I'm only four months into my claim process and already want to kick someone's ass!

Flaps If you call Peggy at the 1800 Number. 1800 827 1000 Hit option 1 then 2 then 3 then 1 then 0. You don't want to wait for all the bull they will tell you the Average wait for the RO you are useing. If you are in VA the average wait is 10 months. Good Luck. I have one claim that is 15 months old. Just to put the daughters back on my file

RetC141BFCC
01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your post. I just now reviewed the VA form 21-686c I filed to add my wife. (the VA rep completed it and I reviewed) Have her birth date as 1-1-1932 and it should be 1-15-1932. I suppose they will reject it because of this?? If I read what you are saying, they will not retroactive the extra payment for a spouse? Only start when she is approved? I was wondering about this. A DAV rep filled out my initial claim and never mentioned that I needed to file this form and I just didn't know about it. Guess I should have did more homework before filing a claim.

As long as you filed the spouse claim within one year of your claim date you should get back pay. Any questions PM me