PDA

View Full Version : Student at FAU suspended for not stomping on Jesus sign

garhkal
03-26-2013, 07:14 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=florida+student+told+to+stomp+on+jesus&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=tMv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=DvNRUfKUMZiz4APU1oFg&ved=0CDEQqAI&biw=1432&bih=725

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/03/23/students-told-to-stomp-on-jesus-at-florida-atlantic-university-by-professor-deandre-poole/

Wow.. Saw a news clip about this on Oreilly last night and was shocked to hell about it..

What are your thoughts?

JD2780
03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
The teacher is an idiot and I applaude the kid for standing up to him.

Steve45213
03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
It looks like FAU did not take action against Rotela for refusing to participate in the exercise, and that his banishment from class was related to how Rotela handled his refusal with the professor. These are separate things. Also, note that the only real sources for any of the "reporting" is the student himself and his attorney.

And the professor isn't an idiot. Even the Fox News report itself stated the purpose of the exercise was to get students to discuss the importance of symbols in culture, which is a perfectly legitimate pedagogical pursuit. Prompting students such as Rotela to have such a visceral reaction to the exercise exemplifies the reverence with which some people treat their symbols. And he wasn't "standing up" to his professor. He was treating the professor disrespectfully and, arguably, threateningly.

RobotChicken
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
:faint Why not a 'White Flag'? We have surrendered everything else in this country. :painkiller

JD2780
03-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Threateningly? Wow that's just crazy talk. Arguing heck yes. Yes he was standing up for what he believed in. I'm tired of us tip toeing around every culture except the white Christian culture. Wonder what would happen if he had them stomp on a dradel(sp) or a manora(sp). Heck go stomp on the Muslim holy book or a picture of Muhammad.

No wont do that. We'll pick Jesus because screw Christians.

garhkal
03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
And the professor isn't an idiot. Even the Fox News report itself stated the purpose of the exercise was to get students to discuss the importance of symbols in culture, which is a perfectly legitimate pedagogical pursuit. Prompting students such as Rotela to have such a visceral reaction to the exercise exemplifies the reverence with which some people treat their symbols. And he wasn't "standing up" to his professor. He was treating the professor disrespectfully and, arguably, threateningly.

I heard that on the fox news story where the teach was saying it was done to "stir discusson". so why did they only do it to a piece of paper with Jesus wrote on it? Why not a piece of paper with "democrat/republician", or Mohammed?

Steve45213
03-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Threateningly? Wow that's just crazy talk. Arguing heck yes. Yes he was standing up for what he believed in. I'm tired of us tip toeing around every culture except the white Christian culture. Wonder what would happen if he had them stomp on a dradel(sp) or a manora(sp). Heck go stomp on the Muslim holy book or a picture of Muhammad.

I got the "threateningly" from http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/university-files-charges-against-student-who-refused-to-stomp-on-jesus.html where it says, "Rotela’s attorney said he believes the perceived threat came when Rotela told the teacher “don’t do that again” – in reference to stomping on the paper. The student also told the instructor, “You’ll be hearing from me.”

Does that rise to the level of aggravated menacing? No, but under the circumstances I think a reasonable person could feel threatened.

thread_cop
03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Imagine the outcry if the "exercise" would have been to have everyone kneel in front of that same picture.

edit: Or draw a cartoon picture of Muhammad

Steve45213
03-27-2013, 09:13 PM
I heard that on the fox news story where the teach was saying it was done to "stir discusson". so why did they only do it to a piece of paper with Jesus wrote on it? Why not a piece of paper with "democrat/republician", or Mohammed?

Probably fear of the reaction from someone who takes religion seriously, is my guess.

And I imagine the textbook writer assumes that most religious people in the US believe in the christian versions of gods.

Rainmaker
03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Yet another daily example of our societal decline.

JD2780
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I got the "threateningly" from http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/university-files-charges-against-student-who-refused-to-stomp-on-jesus.html where it says, "Rotela’s attorney said he believes the perceived threat came when Rotela told the teacher “don’t do that again” – in reference to stomping on the paper. The student also told the instructor, “You’ll be hearing from me.”

Does that rise to the level of aggravated menacing? No, but under the circumstances I think a reasonable person could feel threatened.

Then every person in active duty should feel threatened every day by supervisors.

garhkal
03-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Probably fear of the reaction from someone who takes religion seriously, is my guess.

And I imagine the textbook writer assumes that most religious people in the US believe in the christian versions of gods.

So why did he feel it was ok to do it to a sheet of paper with Jesus's name on it? Do Christians not take their religion seriously?

JD2780
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
So why did he feel it was ok to do it to a sheet of paper with Jesus's name on it? Do Christians not take their religion seriously?

Plus it's just ok to just hassle Christian's. Here is to the white Christian. Losing my right to free speech and freedom of religion since about 2008

Banned
03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
This looks like an excellent lesson plan... teaching the students that words and symbols in themselves are meaningless... the only value they have is purely associative.

However, if the teacher involved was excessively aggressive and punitive in the way he carried out the lesson plan... that's another matter entirely.

imported_WILDJOKER5
03-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Just drawling a pic of Muhammad gets your entire country threatened....right denmark?

JD2780
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Just drawling a pic of Muhammad gets your entire country threatened....right denmark?

Should I be mad at America and be " I kill you"? I don't think so. However, I still don't like what the teacher did.

imported_WILDJOKER5
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Should I be mad at America and be " I kill you"? I don't think so. However, I still don't like what the teacher did.

Thats normal. I wont get a hissy over what the teacher did, I would just point out the obvious that he didnt have the balls to do such a thing to muslims.

Banned
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM

Me neither... it seems to me the teacher didn't fully understand what the point of the lesson was!

JD2780
03-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Me neither... it seems to me the teacher didn't fully understand what the point of the lesson was!

JoeB write this shit down!!! We agree!!!

garhkal
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
+2.. Though me and joe have seen eye to eye in the past, its rare..

RobotChicken
03-28-2013, 07:24 PM

:usa2 Looks like the 'left coast Marxism PC 101 class' has come to the East Coast to 'Roost'!(pun intended) :mad:

sandsjames
03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Just be thankful it wasn't a picture of Muhammad on that piece of paper.

JD2780
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Just be thankful it wasn't a picture of Muhammad on that piece of paper.

Yea there would riots around the world. More attacks on troops. Crazy.

sandsjames
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM

And an outcry from our own liberal media stating how insensitive we are and how it's actions like this that cause the rest of the world to want to kill us.

However, if it's Jesus, it's no biggy. No harm, no foul.

JD2780
03-28-2013, 07:33 PM
And an outcry from our own liberal media stating how insensitive we are and how it's actions like this that cause the rest of the world to want to kill us.

However, if it's Jesus, it's no biggy. No harm, no foul.

Speakin da trufe

Banned
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM

To be fair completely fair here - its not like those troops are just out having a picnic. Muhammed was a character in South Parks in the 90s and nobody seemed to mind. Apparently dropping thousands of tons of bombs on people doesn't make them more friendly to us.

Rainmaker
03-28-2013, 08:06 PM
To be fair completely fair here - its not like those troops are just out having a picnic. Muhammed was a character in South Parks in the 90s and nobody seemed to mind. Apparently dropping thousands of tons of bombs on people doesn't make them more friendly to us.

That's only because the Mahommets didn't have cable and internet yet.

sandsjames
03-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Nobody minded? Really? That's why, when Family Guy tried the same thing, they were forced to cut out the Muhammed scene.

RobotChicken
03-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Nobody minded? Really? That's why, when Family Guy tried the same thing, they were forced to cut out the Muhammed scene.

:doh That is because they use 'FG' as a base line of American intelligence and family values. :violin

JD2780
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Yea they got more upset over the cartoon than anything else. They don't value actual life. They being middle eastern folks. Not all Muslims.

garhkal
04-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Especially since they seem to have no problem blowing up not only themselves, but dozens of their own to kill one or to of us.

candycane3482
04-03-2013, 04:44 PM
It looks like FAU did not take action against Rotela for refusing to participate in the exercise, and that his banishment from class was related to how Rotela handled his refusal with the professor. These are separate things. Also, note that the only real sources for any of the "reporting" is the student himself and his attorney.

Exactly. I love how people use Todd Starnes as a "source" too. That guy is the worst excuse for a journalist I have ever read in my life.

Pullinteeth
04-03-2013, 06:06 PM

It was in 2001. Episode 68 "Super Best Friends." You are right though...he was on it and no one said squat. However in 2006 when they brought back the Super Best Friends for the "Cartoon Wars" episodes, they weren't allowed to show him nor were they allowed to show him in their 200th episode. Unless you got episode 68 prior to 2011, he is no longer in that episode and it isn't availible online nor will it be rebroadcast....