PDA

View Full Version : Why is this national news?

TJMAC77SP
03-26-2013, 04:12 PM
“Video shows Mark Kelly's daughter's dog attack sea lion” (http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2013/03/26/2021023/)

Granted perhaps any video that shows a dog attacking (and killing) a sea lion pup would be aired but why?

It seems (obviously) that this one is getting air time because the dog belongs to Mark Kelly’s daughter (and he was present and actually got the dog to let go of the pup). I suppose the gun owners rights lobby will now point to this story as an example of the ‘violence’ in the Kelly family or some such nonsense but why encourage this tripe?

Journalism as it was and should be practiced is dead.

Given JoeB’s absence I might have a couple of days without being accused of being in favor of animal cruelty because I just don’t see the story here. The dog did what dogs do. There is no evidence the owner provoked or encouraged the dog’s behavior (quite the contrary). It is a sad story but seems just a story of nature happening.

It should be noted that this story did not originate on Fox News or its affiliates.

TSgt"M"
03-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Anybody with the celebrity status of Mark Kelly will get on the news for something like that. It shows to me that pit bulls need to be registered and you need a background check to own one.

thread_cop
03-26-2013, 04:42 PM
“Video shows Mark Kelly's daughter's dog attack sea lion” (http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2013/03/26/2021023/)

Granted perhaps any video that shows a dog attacking (and killing) a sea lion pup would be aired but why?

It seems (obviously) that this one is getting air time because the dog belongs to Mark Kelly’s daughter (and he was present and actually got the dog to let go of the pup). I suppose the gun owners rights lobby will now point to this story as an example of the ‘violence’ in the Kelly family or some such nonsense but why encourage this tripe?

Given JoeB’s absence I might have a couple of days without being accused of being in favor of animal cruelty because I just don’t see the story here. The dog did what dogs do. There is no evidence the owner provoked or encouraged the dog’s behavior (quite the contrary). It is a sad story but seems just a story of nature happening.

It should be noted that this story did not originate on Fox News or its affiliates.

It's "national news" because our media has become nothing more than an overabundance of agenda based stories and gossip columns. Before our citizens will have any sort of chance at being educated we have to have a media base who actually reports news. There is no such thing as a real "newsworthy" story anymore. Look at any major (or minor) news website. They all have forums and all those forums discuss irrelevant, or false, information. No different than what we do here. Since sponsors are used on those sites, that will easily translate to what's shown on the "5 o'clock News" or in the papers. It's not about information, it's about money. Not saying the rags shouldn't try to make money, but they should also try to have a little bit of integrity.

I think news shows should be rated like movies and video games. There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the program that states the following:

"The stories you are about to hear were selected in order to garner ratings. In addition to this, our newscasters will be reading scripts designed to sway you one way or another. If you are more interested in actual news than propoganda, we suggest you find another avenue."

Shrike
03-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Who's Mark Kelly? I have no idea who this guy is.

thread_cop
03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Who's Mark Kelly? I have no idea who this guy is.Neither do I.

edit: I guess that should probably be "nor", not "neither".

TSgt"M"
03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Navy Captain, Astronaut. Husband of Gabby Gifford.

JD2780
03-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Navy Captain, Astronaut. Husband of Gabby Gifford.

And apparently the breeder of vicious, and dangerous mammal eating creatures!!!! The dems are taking their sponsorship back as we speak!!!!

RobotChicken
03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
:doh Somebody would have shot the dog to protect the Sea Lion' all hell would have broken loose! Next up when all guns are banned...removal of all dog teeth to protect owners and would be injuries and death from dogs. (war dogs exempt)

Sperry1989
03-26-2013, 08:38 PM
:doh Somebody would have shot the dog to protect the Sea Lion' all hell would have broken loose! Next up when all guns are banned...removal of all dog teeth to protect owners and would be injuries and death from dogs. (war dogs exempt)

Yo Chicken. Glad to see you flew the coop from Tak's Life and are now flocking around in different threads. When I think my day is going down the sh*&$er, I can always count on your comments to make me forget any rational or irrational thoughts I might have had. Long live the chicken. :rockon

RobotChicken
03-26-2013, 08:56 PM
:rockon Just 'Clucking around'.....:pound

JD2780
03-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Until they're discharged. Then the teeth will be removed because they're mentally unstable. Dogs with PTSD!!

Pullinteeth
03-27-2013, 12:55 PM

And...you would be wrong... If you do a search online for this idiot, the first thing that comes up is "Mark Kelly tries to save seal pup." Not "wacko anti-gun idiot sics dog on seal pup"...

Robert F. Dorr
03-31-2013, 01:13 AM
Who's Mark Kelly? I have no idea who this guy is.

I'm trying to teach my dog to bite somebody famous so I can get some publicity and sell [censored] of my [censored]. I love it that the person who identified Kelly for you spelled Giffords' name wrong. But, then, you use two spaces between sentences. Maybe I'll sic my dog on you.

Robert F. Dorr
03-31-2013, 01:15 AM

Given JoeB’s absence I might have a couple of days without being accused of being in favor of animal cruelty because I just don’t see the story here. The dog did what dogs do. There is no evidence the owner provoked or encouraged the dog’s behavior (quite the contrary).

The dog didn't do what dogs do. Dogs do not have any natural inclination to be hostile or aggressive. In almost every situation where a problem appears to be caused by a dog, the real cause is a human. That's the case here.

imnohero
03-31-2013, 01:46 AM
Dogs do not have any natural inclination to be hostile or aggressive.

This is wrong. First, it's far to broad a generalization, since "dog" includes wolves. One couldn't even say "domestic dogs" have no natural inclination toward aggressive behavior, I had a German Shepard that demonstrated that aptly enough. One MIGHT say that some breeds of domesticated dogs, e.g. Golden Retrievers, have been bred to dampen their bite and prey drives, and are most frequently not aggressive or hostile. But that's about all you might could say.

Robert F. Dorr
03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
This is wrong. First, it's far to broad a generalization, since "dog" includes wolves. One couldn't even say "domestic dogs" have no natural inclination toward aggressive behavior, I had a German Shepard that demonstrated that aptly enough. One MIGHT say that some breeds of domesticated dogs, e.g. Golden Retrievers, have been bred to dampen their bite and prey drives, and are most frequently not aggressive or hostile. But that's about all you might could say.

There is no generally accepted definition of the word "dog" that includes wolves. Even if there were, you already knew that I wasn't referring to wolves. Moreover, I'm not sure even a wolf would be aggressive without a reason.

imnohero
03-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Stick to aircraft history, Bob, and stop digging this hole.

The dog was, in fact, doing what an Am. Bulldog would be expected to do. The problem in this video is that the girl was unable to control the dog, not the dog itself. I expect that Mr. Kelly will have to reconsider whether his daughter should be walking the dog alone.

Banned
03-31-2013, 04:39 PM

I see what you're saying, but this should come as no surprise. Just like everybody else in a capitalist system... news organizations exist for ratings and profits. Their business is NOT to educate - it is to garner as high a viewership as possible.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/537223_600287969999448_2126041755_n.jpg

It's "national news" because our media has become nothing more than an overabundance of agenda based stories and gossip columns. Before our citizens will have any sort of chance at being educated we have to have a media base who actually reports news. There is no such thing as a real "newsworthy" story anymore. Look at any major (or minor) news website. They all have forums and all those forums discuss irrelevant, or false, information. No different than what we do here. Since sponsors are used on those sites, that will easily translate to what's shown on the "5 o'clock News" or in the papers. It's not about information, it's about money. Not saying the rags shouldn't try to make money, but they should also try to have a little bit of integrity.

I think news shows should be rated like movies and video games. There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the program that states the following:

"The stories you are about to hear were selected in order to garner ratings. In addition to this, our newscasters will be reading scripts designed to sway you one way or another. If you are more interested in actual news than propoganda, we suggest you find another avenue."

Just couldn't stay away during your ban... could you sandjames? Just FYI... you've been reported.

TJMAC77SP
04-01-2013, 12:07 PM
The dog didn't do what dogs do. Dogs do not have any natural inclination to be hostile or aggressive. In almost every situation where a problem appears to be caused by a dog, the real cause is a human. That's the case here.

Really !?!?!

How did you get THAT from the clip? Did you see a different clip because the one I saw showed the dog's teeth already on the seal pup's throat and the owner (and someone else) desparately trying to disengage the dog.

Also it IS CERTAINLY in a dog's nature (or almost any animal's nature) to act aggressively given particular stimuli. Who knows what set this dog off? I don't because all I have to go on is the clip I viewed. What source are you using?

BTW, way to completely miss the frapping point Bob. Or did you?

(I put 5 spaces between those last two sentences. Figured I would return the favor and drive you nuts)

TJMAC77SP
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
There is no generally accepted definition of the word "dog" that includes wolves. Even if there were, you already knew that I wasn't referring to wolves. Moreover, I'm not sure even a wolf would be aggressive without a reason.

I was not including wolves in MY definition but I would include EVERY breed of domesticated dog. If you think you can predict the behavior and ANY animal at all times you are a lot more delusional than I have previously concluded........and that is going a long way down that road.

TJMAC77SP
04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
And...you would be wrong... If you do a search online for this idiot, the first thing that comes up is "Mark Kelly tries to save seal pup." Not "wacko anti-gun idiot sics dog on seal pup"...

And the second item on my search this morning was this. (http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/horror-gun-basher-mark-kellys-dog-kills-baby-sael-video/)

My comment was pretty much tongue in cheek but am not surprised to be right (sadly). All it proves is that the internet provides a voice to all (even the deranged).