PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Airmen?

Sergeant eNYgma
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I've not heard the term until I read something in an email the other day.

WTF is a Civilian Airmen? Do they PT Test? Do they have to have the 80 hr CBT done in 24 hrs?

JD2780
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
It's stupidity. Stay away from that phrase. I doubt the Marines calla their civilian "civilian Marines".

BUDJR8
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I heard the CMSAF use it...

Robert F. Dorr
03-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Yes, the term is being used (and in capital letters, too). And yes, it's stupidity. The irony is that the Air Force's civilians make an important contribution and deserve recognition. But a civilian is not an airman.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Everyone has to be special.

Jamethon
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM
As dumb and blue as it sounds, I had to go through physical and psychological training that most Americans cannot complete, or qualify for. Now for one of those people to either wash out of basic training or become medically disqualified, only to get hired in a GS position and have the "honor" of being called a civilian airman? That is flat out disrespectful to those who have actually earned the title of "Airman."

Call them what they are.. civilians. They didn't earn the title of "Airman," and if they did but have separated/retired.. then call them what they currently are.. a civilian.

Bumble78
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
As dumb and blue as it sounds, I had to go through physical and psychological training that most Americans cannot complete, or qualify for. Now for one of those people to either wash out of basic training or become medically disqualified, only to get hired in a GS position and have the "honor" of being called a civilian airman? That is flat out disrespectful to those who have actually earned the title of "Airman."

Call them what they are.. civilians. They didn't earn the title of "Airman," and if they did but have separated/retired.. then call them what they currently are.. a civilian.

Next you are going to tell me that a SSgt Select is really a SrA.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
I ain't got beef with civies at all (No choice I'm at an AFMC base nuff said) but reading that blew my mind. Wish I could post the email but I deleted it...

Silverback15
03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Alright before you guys start getting too elitist and big headed. As a full time reservist I'm (Air Reserve Technichian) I'm one example of a civilian airman. If it makes you feel better I have to pass PT, do all the CBT's active duty does, plus a couple federal employee CBT's active duty doesn't see. Big Blue has to call us civilian airman so they can keep us in uniform so they can have more control over us by playing the rank card. We don't want to be in uniform, we've sued the secretary of the air force to get out of it. Also we can be furloughed even though Big Blue claims we're "dual role".
FYI, I was active duty for 6 years, traditional reserves for 7 years, and now an ART for 11 years.

JD2780
03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Alright before you guys start getting too elitist and big headed. As a full time reservist I'm (Air Reserve Technichian) I'm one example of a civilian airman. If it makes you feel better I have to pass PT, do all the CBT's active duty does, plus a couple federal employee CBT's active duty doesn't see. Big Blue has to call us civilian airman so they can keep us in uniform so they can have more control over us by playing the rank card. We don't want to be in uniform, we've sued the secretary of the air force to get out of it. Also we can be furloughed even though Big Blue claims we're "dual role".
FYI, I was active duty for 6 years, traditional reserves for 7 years, and now an ART for 11 years.

No when they mean civilian Airmen they talk about the typical GS employee or contractor.

Quixotic
03-25-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm going to start striving to be the best 'airman civilian' I can be.

Time to dust off my old ball cap.

MACHINE666
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
I will take a dump in the coffee pot of anyone who refers to me as a "civilian airman" or a "civilian soldier"....and call it a day!

:D :D :D :D :D

ConfusedAirman
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Don't blame AF civilians. Every one I know thinks the term is a joke.

RobotChicken
03-25-2013, 08:41 PM
:spy Hey 'Superman' wants to know if he can get in on this.....:clock WAIT!! Got 'Wonder Women on line 2, she is...'

JD2780
03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Don't blame AF civilians. Every one I know thinks the term is a joke.

It would be like getting mad at TACPs PJs and CCTs for the stupid phrase "battlefield Airmen"

KellyinAvon
03-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Would anyone call Department of Veterans Affairs civil service employees, "Veterans"? We all know that answer.

BRUWIN
03-26-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm a civilian airman...you guys need to quit being so butthurt over what I'm called. We should have a civilian airmen creed.

KellyinAvon
03-26-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm a civilian airman...you guys need to quit being so butthurt over what I'm called.

Do you answer the phone, "Intel shop, Civilian Airman Bruwin, may I help you? Followed by, "No, I'm not kidding.":pound

JD2780
03-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Do you answer the phone, "Intel shop, Civilian Airman Bruwin, may I help you? Followed by, "No, I'm not kidding.":pound

Well played, well played indeed.

Drackore
03-26-2013, 04:32 AM
The Civilian Airmen Creed:

I am a Civilian Airman.
I am overpaid.
I have answered my wallet's call.
I am a Civilian Airman.
My mission is to nag, whine, and complain.
I am faithful to myself,
A Tradition of ducking work,
And a Legacy of knowing my contract.
I am a Civilian Airman.
Guardian of coffee pots,
My Nation’s reason for sequestration,
Its historian of 'back in my day'.
I defend my contract with my Life.
I am a Civilian Airman.
Fat, Lazy, Obnoxious.
I will never leave late,
I will never do what you need,
And I will not be on time.

RobotChicken
03-26-2013, 05:03 AM
:hail Well played...:cheer2

Drackore
03-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Forget Civilian Airman, Retiree is where I am going in about five years. Hellz yea boyyyyyy.

Robert F. Dorr
03-26-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm a civilian airman...you guys need to quit being so butthurt over what I'm called. We should have a civilian airmen creed.

A creed. Yes, that's it. Of course. A creed. And a waist measurement standard.

BRUWIN
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM

I am a Civilian Airman.
I am overpaid.
I am a Civilian Airman.
I am faithful to myself,
I am a Civilian Airman.
Guardian of coffee pots,
I am a Civilian Airman.
Fat, Lazy, Obnoxious.
I will never leave late,

That's pretty disrespectful to us civilian Airmen. We are the AF's rock while the "first out the door" Blue Suiters barely reach a 6 hour workday when they ain't deployed. Sequestion is the final nail in the AF coffin. The AF is gonna go to hell in a handbasket on those days we ain't there.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
No when they mean civilian Airmen they talk about the typical GS employee or contractor.

^^^^ Yeah this...even if they've NEVER served.

Silverback you count with the rest of us far as I'm concerned. Didn't know about the Furlogh thing though that's bullshit.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-26-2013, 01:09 PM

I am a Civilian Airman.
I am overpaid.
I am a Civilian Airman.
I am faithful to myself,
I am a Civilian Airman.
Guardian of coffee pots,
I am a Civilian Airman.
Fat, Lazy, Obnoxious.
I will never leave late,

Lmao don't think they'd try to remember this one either...

thread_cop
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I bet if sandsjames was to start memorizing this creed now, he'd know it by heart when it becomes necessary in 91 days.

Shrike
03-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I bet if sandsjames was to start memorizing this creed now, he'd know it by heart when it becomes necessary in 91 days.

Does sandsjames have a GS or contractor job all lined up? Not that you'd have any way of knowing this information, of course.

thread_cop
03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Does sandsjames have a GS or contractor job all lined up? Not that you'd have any way of knowing this information, of course.Yeah, I couldn't speak for him.

My guess would be that he does not. Since he'll be moving back to his house in Wichita Falls (or so I think I read somewhere on this forum) he will possibly try to get a job as an instructor again (though there are currently no openings). He'll probably keep his resume and application ready to go in case something opens up and I'm betting he has a couple of close friends in high level positions at the schoolhouse he taught at before. They may possibly be willing to write a job description that fits his qualifications very well. Until then he may work at Home Depot or Best Buy, or possibly just bag some groceries at the commissary. He'll be fine financially for sometime as his bills are paid off and his mortgage is only $500 (including tax/insurance). Again, this is all information I am gathering from his posts in other threads. I do hate to speak for others.

Drackore
03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Don't hate...it took me only 10 minutes to pen that and it was within the first 30 mins I was awake. If you want it to really sting I will need some more time.

That's pretty disrespectful to us civilian Airmen. We are the AF's rock while the "first out the door" Blue Suiters barely reach a 6 hour workday when they ain't deployed. Sequestion is the final nail in the AF coffin. The AF is gonna go to hell in a handbasket on those days we ain't there.

TJMAC77SP
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM

I consider you an Airman.