PDA

View Full Version : Who I would nominate for Airman of the year

jondstewart
03-24-2013, 06:49 PM
An Airman or NCO that comes to work every day and gives 100% on his/her job, whether they repair aircraft, issue speeding tickets, or cook. Not perfection, but is dedicated and committed. An Airman that has a good attitude and never complains whatever the circumstances. An Airman that does not step on toes with the weaker or less competent and sucks up to the higher-uppers, but treats each and every person with dignity and respect. An Airman that is approachable and personable, not cold, self-serving, and business-like (very commonplace at Randolph). An Airman that is not hesitant to correct those who are failing to perform below par, but does not berate, pontificate, or personally attack the person who's doing it. An Airman who takes college classes or trade courses so they can prepare themselves for the real world when they separate or retire or for personal fulfillment, not as an EPR builder. An Airman who has done all this and then some, but has received few if any awards in his career and doesn't expect any.

THAT is my idea of a model Airman!

RobotChicken
03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
:spy Good luck with that service person anywhere getting it. The 'PC YES Bunch' would never allow it or let it come about in the first place. :fencing

jondstewart
03-24-2013, 07:03 PM
:spy Good luck with that service person anywhere getting it. The 'PC YES Bunch' would never allow it or let it come about in the first place. :fencing

Yeah, the sad reality is that Services folks who usually get all those awards are not usually warm or personable. Many people mistake "professionalism" for being all business and nothing more

I don't know what "PCS YES BUNCH" is, but I might add, you need to PCS every 3-4 years in order to have a successful career or instead of be an average Joe. I mean, how often does one get an AF Achievement or Commendation medal outside of PCS'ing or deployments?

RobotChicken
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah, the sad reality is that Services folks who usually get all those awards are not usually warm or personable. Many people mistake "professionalism" for being all business and nothing more

I don't know what "PCS YES BUNCH" is, but I might add, you need to PCS every 3-4 years in order to have a successful career or instead of be an average Joe. I mean, how often does one get an AF Achievement or Commendation medal outside of PCS'ing or deployments?

'Politically Correct' Marxism type.

combatrob
03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
'Politically Correct' Marxism type.

Because the military is dominated by Marxists now. Damn commies.

Robert F. Dorr
03-24-2013, 11:01 PM
An Airman or NCO that comes to work every day and gives 100% on his/her job, whether they repair aircraft, issue speeding tickets, or cook. Not perfection, but is dedicated and committed. An Airman that has a good attitude and never complains whatever the circumstances. An Airman that does not step on toes with the weaker or less competent and sucks up to the higher-uppers, but treats each and every person with dignity and respect. An Airman that is approachable and personable, not cold, self-serving, and business-like (very commonplace at Randolph). An Airman that is not hesitant to correct those who are failing to perform below par, but does not berate, pontificate, or personally attack the person who's doing it. An Airman who takes college classes or trade courses so they can prepare themselves for the real world when they separate or retire or for personal fulfillment, not as an EPR builder. An Airman who has done all this and then some, but has received few if any awards in his career and doesn't expect any.

I vote for the first person who tosses out the Kool-Aid and spells the word airman correctly, without a capital letter.

Robert F. Dorr
03-24-2013, 11:02 PM

If Grammar Police were still alive, he or she should say that the word is whom.

imported_ManOSteel
03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
I vote for the first person who tosses out the Kool-Aid and spells the word airman correctly, without a capital letter.

Yes, and bonus points for getting rid of the ridiculous use of "Team" in front of whatever base you are stationed at. Makes me want to be a marine...or is that "Marine"?

RobotChicken
03-24-2013, 11:40 PM
If Grammar Police were still alive, he or she should say that the word is whom.
:hail I nominate RFD for the 'new' sheriff of 'Grammar Control'! :humble

jondstewart
03-25-2013, 12:36 AM
:hail I nominate RFD for the 'new' sheriff of 'Grammar Control'! :humble

Jeez, you people are being awfully hard on me for not capitalizing or punctuating every single word correctly! Compare me to the average 12-30 year old now on writing! Uh huh!

But back to the original post, I know that for a fact is not true in the real world, or the real Air Force in any way! And I'm sure all of you realize that one way or another. The enlisted people who have real successful careers are usually have some sociopath tendencies. It doesn't mean they're bad people. It just means they love themselves more than others and will use weaker people as an end to justify means, whether it be intimidation or manipulation. And Services is full of those kinds of folks!

OtisRNeedleman
03-25-2013, 12:47 AM
I have two.

Colonel Tim Bush. He admitted he hadn't met AF standards and didn't quibble or place the blame on someone else. Colonel Bush gave up command, saluted his wing, and left with his head held high. Colonel Bush will be retiring soon, if he hasn't already.

Lt Gen Franklin. Whether you agree with his decision to overturn the Lt Col's court-martial conviction or not, the general apparently studied all the material and decided to do what he believed was the harder right than the easier wrong. I'm sure the general knew his decision would be roundly second-guessed, yet he still made the decision to overturn the conviction. I am also sure Lt Gen Franklin will be retiring soon.

And the Air Force will be worse off for losing these two airmen.

RobotChicken
03-25-2013, 12:57 AM
:amen:first

Shrike
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Jeez, you people are being awfully hard on me for not capitalizing or punctuating every single word correctly! Compare me to the average 12-30 year old now on writing! Uh huh!
Just tell them to FO. Or better yet, catch Bob Dorr making a typo or error and point it out to him. He rarely if ever seems to acknowledge it while at the same time he sanctimoniously chastises others for their writing skills. I believe this is known as hypocrisy.