PDA

View Full Version : Is AAFES losing business?

jondstewart
03-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I haven't seen the incentive to shop at the BX or get base gas anymore. For the past several years or so, gas prices on base have always been exactly what they are off base. I get gas on base simply because there are otherwise no gas stations between Eagle River and Anchorage. Plus the DVD's sold at the BX or shopette are usually around $12 to $15 and Wal Mart has tons selling for $5.

It seems only the food court area is still packing them in, still

RobotChicken
03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
:laugh They have a 'captive customer base (pun intended) ' that can move across the world and not loose one. Only RIF's now and then will affect AAFES and they know how to adjust. :welcome

monarch93
03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
AAFES leadership is out of touch with reality and AAFES is doomed if it doesn't improve. At Fort Stewart they've renovated the food court three times in the 8 years I've been here and renovated the central corridor outside the PX and the building is barely 11 years old. Rebranding the Exchange wasted untold thousands (if not millions) of dollars. The remodeling of the store has wasted more money and made the store chaotic. Good job AAFES...I do most of my shopping off post. Many I know do the same

chevyman
03-24-2013, 08:45 PM
I haven't seen the incentive to shop at the BX or get base gas anymore. For the past several years or so, gas prices on base have always been exactly what they are off base. I get gas on base simply because there are otherwise no gas stations between Eagle River and Anchorage. Plus the DVD's sold at the BX or shopette are usually around $12 to $15 and Wal Mart has tons selling for $5.

It seems only the food court area is still packing them in, still

Depends on where you are at. Here in Utah people buy from the Class Six beacuse the booze is cheaper than off base. You can buy expensive electronics items tax free, but they do not have the best selection. The clothing selection is terrible.

RobotChicken
03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Depends on where you are at. Here in Utah people buy from the Class Six beacuse the booze is cheaper than off base. You can buy expensive electronics items tax free, but they do not have the best selection. The clothing selection is terrible.
:lever Some things never Change!!! (pun intended) :rapture

wxjumper
03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
If you have the Star card, getting on base gas is better even if it is the same price. You get 5 cents off a gallon when you use your Star card to pay.

Airborne
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
If you have the Star card, getting on base gas is better even if it is the same price. You get 5 cents off a gallon when you use your Star card to pay.

Of course you pay your card off in full every month. Thats being subsidized by the other knuckleheads who dont.

MajesticThunder
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Today’s exchange business concept is inexcusably antiquated and unfit for purpose. Gasoline is the number one profit money maker for exchanges. :wof

Functional Military Clothing Sales Stores (MCSS), morale boosting Tactical Field Exchanges and shops afloat are only remaining military unique function worthy of salvage provided by any of the lackluster hodgepodge of different top heavy, redundant function exchange organizations.

Why is active duty military personnel still assigned to the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (Exchange)?

Of 73 military authorizations in The Exchange worldwide, 54 are located at HQ Exchange, Dallas, Texas. For example:

Brig. Gen. Casey Blake (USAF) Deputy Director, Army and Air Force Exchange Service (Exchange)

Colonel Thomas P. Ockenfels (USA) Chief of Staff Army & Air Force Exchange Service

Chief Master Sergeant Tony Pearson (USAF) Senior Enlisted Advisor Army & Air Force Exchange Service (Exchange)

These superfluous military manning positions need to be axed, before any operational unit force reductions are considered.

Rotating teleconferences to link up e-councils of serving members could provide sufficiently diverse customer feedback and valid customer representation to a drastically downsized, modernized, totally civilian, and consolidated exchange for all military branches service focused on e-commerce is the best way forward.

Such sanctioned Fraud, Waste, and Abuse traditions of military authorizations in these supposed penny pinching times is contemptible. :rant

How many maintenance or intelligence airmen “worker bee” positions could be funded by just converting USAF military “business” support or leadership allocations away from AAFES to authentic hands-on mission meets the tarmac operational billets for an active duty special operations wing?

OtisRNeedleman
03-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Within the last year our local Main Exchange underwent a total renovation. Wonder why. Place is never crowded. I find very little there I need. And after the last experience with a "special order", requiring the intervention of the two-star commanding AAFES at the time, no way would I even dream of ordering anything. AAFES, for me, is strictly "take it or leave it". Face it, they don't care. They don't HAVE to care.

My guess is that most people stationed in the CONUS spend more money at Costco/Sam's Club, Walmart, or at Amazon than at the Exchange. Exceptions might possibly be in the area of liquor, gasoline and, of course, military clothing. Selection is better and prices are often better. Last week needed a new battery for the laptop. Toshiba wanted over $100. Amazon price: $18.80. Never even entered my mind to check the Exchange's price. They probably didn't carry the battery anyway.

Don't understand why there are so many military authorizations within AAFES. Guess they need a few but 73, including a flag officer, is too many.

CJSmith
03-25-2013, 04:57 AM
While many of these points may be true, if they did get rid of AAFES there will be a thread on here in about 3-5 years bitching and complaining they want their shopping back.

imported_biddy1030
03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
The BX here got renovated not too long ago and the only time I go in is for a haircut during my lunch hour. The selection is terrible but at Holloman, the Walmart in town is absolutely filthy so I do most of my shopping at amazon or eBay.

Dan-O
03-25-2013, 08:36 AM
I live overseas and I still find it cheaper to go off base and buy stuff from the local market.

giggawatt
03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
In on AAFES hate thread.

poindexter
03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Our BX is busy simply because to go to lunch in town would take too long and it's a heck of a drive sometimes. They just renovated the BX and now there is a Dunkin Donuts, Popeyes and Subway and it stays packed. The only thing appealing about out BX is they sell guns and sometimes they are cheaper than Chucks (the popular gun store) other than that, I don't see many people, other than retirees and civilians hording the BX.

Chief_KO
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Many many years ago congress passed a law that forced military exchanges to raise the price of gasoline to be within so many cents of gasoline off base due to the lobbying efforts of the retail industry. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN CONGRESS!!
The product company's must open their accounting books to the exchanges (the government) to negotiate the exchange sale price. Many, many, many of the popular product lines do not want to do this, hence few of the "top brands" can be found at AAFES.
WRT the name change...I think it is only a matter of time that all the service exchanges merge into one, like the commissaries did some years ago.
I agree that many BXs are dead or near death... Other than the "outrage" perhaps it is serious time to consider contracting out the exchange to a commerical reseller like WalMart.

Robert F. Dorr
03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Many many years ago congress passed a law that forced military exchanges to raise the price of gasoline to be within so many cents of gasoline off base due to the lobbying efforts of the retail industry. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN CONGRESS!!
The product company's must open their accounting books to the exchanges (the government) to negotiate the exchange sale price. Many, many, many of the popular product lines do not want to do this, hence few of the "top brands" can be found at AAFES.
WRT the name change...I think it is only a matter of time that all the service exchanges merge into one, like the commissaries did some years ago.
I agree that many BXs are dead or near death... Other than the "outrage" perhaps it is serious time to consider contracting out the exchange to a commerical reseller like WalMart.

Two questions:

1. At a stateside base with a community nearby, why are any of these facilities needed?

2. What's a WRT?

Shrike
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Two questions:

1. At a stateside base with a community nearby, why are any of these facilities needed?

2. What's a WRT?
War Readiness Training

Stalwart
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
maybe "With reference to"

HipCat
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Count in Fairchild AFB with the other suck BX. They remodeled about a year ago, to add in a gun shop. We had one that was being run by a retired AF guy out of outdoor rec. It was perfectly fine there. They could have left the guy in charge of it and given him some AAFEES employees. They ignored him completely to put the one in the BX. They also decided to put in a cell phone stand right in the front of where the "power zone" was. Then, they decided to close down our furniture store and start putting display stuff in the BX. Now, the furniture store has taken about 1/4 of the space of the BX. The rest of the BX has an absolute abysmal selection on everything because of the gun counter, furniture store and cell kiosk. Every time I, or my wife, go there, we always come away disappointed because we can't find what we wanted.

For the gas, it is usually the lowest price in town. There happens to be a native American run gas station about 1/4 mile outside the base and, they have to match their price. However, they DON'T make money off of gas. Despite what some of you may think. I asked one day when there was a price discrepancy between the 2 that stayed for about a week. The person at the shoppette said that they don't know how they can keep their prices so low, they have the same supplier of gas as the native American run station. Yet, the shoppette was left 5 cents higher and still losing a lot of money at the price then. This was about a year ago and, since then they have always matched the price. I would imagine they still are losing money to match most times. Especially with how much lower it usually is then in town.

For other civilian gas stations, they make very little money off of gas as well (the station itself, not the supplier.) Most of their money comes from the store inside. The ones who make the money off of the gas sales is the state, in the way of taxes. As well as the supplier itself.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
No matter what base I go to, the Class 6 seems to do alright. :)

70gto
03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm always amazed at the suprisingly "weird" stuff that's sold at the kiosks. I.e Paper wind chimes, asian dresses, macaroni art....

JD2780
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm always amazed at the suprisingly "weird" stuff that's sold at the kiosks. I.e Paper wind chimes, asian dresses, macaroni art....

The only people that value macaroni art are the parents of the kid that made. Even then, that art does have an expiration date.

OtisRNeedleman
03-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Two questions:

2. What's a WRT?

I would definitely say in our area (Monterey) the commissary is badly needed. It has probably kept us from having more Danny Holleys. Who is Danny Holley? He was a 13-year-old dependent son living with family, father doing a remote in Korea, who killed himself in 1984 so there would be more for the rest of the family. Google "Danny Holley". The exchange (Base Exchange and Navy Exchange)..not so much, outside the gas station, military clothing sales, and the barber shop. There is a Costco, Walmart, Target, etc. here, and you always have Amazon and other online retailers. Probably need to keep the shoppettes and the small troop store at the Presidio of Monterey since so many students haven't a vehicle.

thread_cop
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
The only people that value macaroni art are the parents of the kid that made. Even then, that art does have an expiration date.

My niece and I were joking around last year before Christmas about what to get and I told her to make me something out of macaroni (she's 23). Well, I opened my gift and it was a framed "macaroni art" Air Force symbol. Each piece individually painted, etc. I'm not for Air Force memorabilia type stuff, but it's pretty awesome (hanging in my bar). Kind of a running joke with us now.

Shrike
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
No matter what base I go to, the Class 6 seems to do alright. :)

My liver's not going to just damage itself!

:)

thread_cop
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
My liver's not going to just damage itself!

:)

If they ever take the Class 6 away there will be riots. We don't need a golf course, chapel, bowling center, etc, just don't screw with our booze.

JD2780
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
My niece and I were joking around last year before Christmas about what to get and I told her to make me something out of macaroni (she's 23). Well, I opened my gift and it was a framed "macaroni art" Air Force symbol. Each piece individually painted, etc. I'm not for Air Force memorabilia type stuff, but it's pretty awesome (hanging in my bar). Kind of a running joke with us now.

That's actually pretty cool.

thread_cop
03-25-2013, 06:06 PM
That's actually pretty cool.

What's funny is it's the only gift I got that I can remember exactly what I got and who gave it to me. Now I've got to figure out something good to make for her next year.

MACHINE666
03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Supposively AAFES makes $1 million a day in the Ramstein/KMC area in sales....when I was taking my Accounting classes last year, there was someone who worked contracting on Ramstein who shared this information with me, and he seemed pretty legit too. AAFES KMC Mall DOES NOT however, pay for its utilities (electric, water, etc), and insists that the Air Force does that instead....same with the parking lot. They want the SPs to ticket any overnight parkers, but they don't want to send people out to clean up the garbage that gets left behind. Even the inside of the KMC Mall is falling apart, with the elevators, urinals, and walls significantly damaged or in a continual state of non-repair.

Bottom line is that AAFES can lick my herpes-encrusted bung-hole as I give them a Hot Carl with my HIV positive poop. The amount of money they make, versus the shitty quality merchandise and the minimum wage they pay their workers is unacceptable. If they're losing money, then good.

OtisRNeedleman
03-25-2013, 07:00 PM
If they ever take the Class 6 away there will be riots. We don't need a golf course, chapel, bowling center, etc, just don't screw with our booze.

Gotta have the library, though.

Way back when remember Class 6 stores were inside the various clubs. Could be done. Bet the clubs would welcome the walk-in traffic. Would definitely bring in revenue. Have seen plenty of people loading up their carts with booze.

CYBERFX1024
03-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Supposively AAFES makes $1 million a day in the Ramstein/KMC area in sales....when I was taking my Accounting classes last year, there was someone who worked contracting on Ramstein who shared this information with me, and he seemed pretty legit too. AAFES KMC Mall DOES NOT however, pay for its utilities (electric, water, etc), and insists that the Air Force does that instead....same with the parking lot. They want the SPs to ticket any overnight parkers, but they don't want to send people out to clean up the garbage that gets left behind. Even the inside of the KMC Mall is falling apart, with the elevators, urinals, and walls significantly damaged or in a continual state of non-repair.

Bottom line is that AAFES can lick my herpes-encrusted bung-hole as I give them a Hot Carl with my HIV positive poop. The amount of money they make, versus the shitty quality merchandise and the minimum wage they pay their workers is unacceptable. If they're losing money, then good.

Have you actually spoken to a individual contractor that AAFES "allows" to to do business on base? AAFES requires them that they get a certain percentage of money off of what is brought in. Just like how the Mafia does it. Camp Lejeune has a guy that sells hot dogs and other items ON the shooting ranges. The guy brings in a HUGE amount of money everyday. We just happened to strike up a conversation with him concerning the whole AAFES issue.

The organization of AAFES is all about making profits for those high up in the company who just happen to be former Generals.

USMC0341
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Have you actually spoken to a individual contractor that AAFES "allows" to to do business on base? AAFES requires them that they get a certain percentage of money off of what is brought in. Just like how the Mafia does it. Camp Lejeune has a guy that sells hot dogs and other items ON the shooting ranges. The guy brings in a HUGE amount of money everyday. We just happened to strike up a conversation with him concerning the whole AAFES issue.

The organization of AAFES is all about making profits for those high up in the company who just happen to be former Generals.

Roach Coaches are great on range days.

Chief_KO
03-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Robert F. Dorr,
"WRT" stands for With regards to

sharkhunter
03-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Overseas, the only real time I use AAFES is for gas. I do most of my shopping online or at the nearby ASDA (aka Walmart). Its not really more expensive and sometimes the quality is a bit better than what is found on base. For food though, I still use the commissary.

Airborne
03-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Overseas, the only real time I use AAFES is for gas. I do most of my shopping online or at the nearby ASDA (aka Walmart). Its not really more expensive and sometimes the quality is a bit better than what is found on base. For food though, I still use the commissary.

Same here, though I was there for so long that it got to the point where I appreciated the supermarkets off base more so than the commissary. Food industry standards are stricter in Europe resulting in better foodstuffs. Even the junk food is better overseas.

Dan-O
03-29-2013, 04:47 PM

I hate the Ramstein BX. They talk about ticking overnight parkers but what about all the people who can't park for Sh!t over here? Everytime I go there I always see atleast one car thats double parked. Its even worse in the winter because they don't do anything to the parking lots when it snows.

wxjumper
04-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Of course you pay your card off in full every month. Thats being subsidized by the other knuckleheads who dont.

That's fine, still doesn't change the fact that gas is cheaper at AAFES gas stations.

Tak
04-27-2013, 02:42 AM
$%#$ the &%$#ing customers of the &%$#ing world!

Eastwood
04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I do not shop the exchange unless I know that they have specifically what I need.

I use the commissary all the time.

Eastwood
04-28-2013, 01:59 PM
That's fine, still doesn't change the fact that gas is cheaper at AAFES gas stations.

Gas is not cheaper, but on par wth local community. They price the fuel based on the average of 3 local gas stations. At least thats what AAFES tells us. Now in the early 1980's, fuel was much cheaper on base because it was not taxed on the state or federal level. Gas tax is around 50 cents per gallon. Not sure when it changed but when I returned from Korea in 1988, the big 40-50 cent difference was gone.

sandsjames
04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Gas on base at Beale is $.03 more expensive than off base. Almost everything at the BX is more expensive but their argument is always that they price match which is then cheaper because there's no tax.

wxjumper
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Gas is not cheaper, but on par wth local community. They price the fuel based on the average of 3 local gas stations. At least thats what AAFES tells us. Now in the early 1980's, fuel was much cheaper on base because it was not taxed on the state or federal level. Gas tax is around 50 cents per gallon. Not sure when it changed but when I returned from Korea in 1988, the big 40-50 cent difference was gone.
Yep, and with the 5 cents off per gallon with the Star Card, it is cheaper.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Yep, and with the 5 cents off per gallon with the Star Card, it is cheaper.

Yep!

I always feel better after shopping at AAFES! Actually I’m usually whistling a tune while gassing up my car and thinking of all the great deals I got on last year’s selection of urban hip-hop gear and last year’s country line dancing cowboy costumes.

Of course, sometimes my stomach feels a little dyspeptic but that’s probably just from the sauerkraut at Frank’s Franks.

sandsjames
04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Yep, and with the 5 cents off per gallon with the Star Card, it is cheaper.As long as you pay off the card at the end of the month. $.05 off $4.00 is 1.2% while the interest rate on the card is nearly 11%.