PDA

View Full Version : on base gas station solicitors.

KMD86
03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Does anybody else have the people at the gas station on base selling things for windshield repair or any kind of car care? These guys are relentless. I can't pump gas without atleast 3 of them coming up to me and asking to check my windshielf for cracks. The first couple of times I went ahead and let them look at it. They have literally tried to look at my truck like 10 times. Earlier I was pumping gas and I was approaced twice. What happened to no soliciting on base? they have had to have checked every car windshield on this base. they've been here for a year now with the same sales pitch.

sandsjames
03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Haven't had them, but have had the guys with some miracle wax stuff they are selling (of course) for 50% off. The way they run across the lot when they see you reminds me a bit of TI's fast walking towards a group of trainees.

Shrike
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Does anybody else have the people at the gas station on base selling things for windshield repair or any kind of car care? These guys are relentless. I can't pump gas without atleast 3 of them coming up to me and asking to check my windshielf for cracks. The first couple of times I went ahead and let them look at it. They have literally tried to look at my truck like 10 times. Earlier I was pumping gas and I was approaced twice. What happened to no soliciting on base? they have had to have checked every car windshield on this base. they've been here for a year now with the same sales pitch.
Yeah, they're a PITA. They must be making some cash, though, to afford to pay the AAFES Mafia vendor prices.

KMD86
03-21-2013, 05:17 PM
supposedly their repair is totally free. I don't quite understand how that works. If the consumer pays nothing how are they still there? I just won't be going to the gas station during duty hours. I use the star card for the 5 cents off :)

KMD86
03-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Haven't had them, but have had the guys with some miracle wax stuff they are selling (of course) for 50% off. The way they run across the lot when they see you reminds me a bit of TI's fast walking towards a group of trainees.

or a 1sgt running across the parking lot because someone has their hands in their pockets...

sandsjames
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
supposedly their repair is totally free. I don't quite understand how that works. If the consumer pays nothing how are they still there? I just won't be going to the gas station during duty hours. I use the star card for the 5 cents off :)

It is totally free usually. Most insurance companies cover 100% of windshield repairs and, unless you have shitty insurance, it doesn't affect rates at all.

sandsjames
03-21-2013, 05:23 PM
It is totally free usually. Most insurance companies cover 100% of windshield repairs and, unless you have shitty insurance, it doesn't affect rates at all.

Ended up getting stuck standing in a group with my NCOIC, Super, and the Group Commander (O-6). During the entire conversation, the Gp CC didn't once take his hands out of his pockets. I'm surprised he didn't lose his job as he's supposed to be setting the example.

edit: Did not mean to quote myself. Meant to quote 2 posts up about 1st Shirt...oh well.

KMD86
03-21-2013, 05:24 PM

so the base just let's them come on during duty hours to provide a good deed? I don't get it. It just seems odd to me that they provide a free service and have been here for so long.

Shrike
03-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Last year I saw an older retiree go off on one of the persistent salesmen. The rant ended along the lines of "...and this is the fifth gol-dang time I've told you - YOU, not just all of you salesmen, but YOU - 'No' in the last two days. Remember my face...remember my GOL-DURNED FACE...and don't ever speak to me again unless it's to say 'Nice day we're having, sir.'"

sandsjames
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
so the base just let's them come on during duty hours to provide a good deed? I don't get it. It just seems odd to me that they provide a free service and have been here for so long.

No, the insurance company is paying the company fixing windshields. They are making their money.

Shrike
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM

The insurance pays for the parts and labor. The company cuts AAFES in on what they make from the insurance.

KMD86
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
No, the insurance company is paying the company fixing windshields. They are making their money.

well that explains it. Still annoying though haha.

imported_DannyJ
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
well that explains it. Still annoying though haha.

Yeah they come walking over and I just started yelling, "My windsheild is fine. Go away." They probably think I'm an asshole, but I've spoken to them more times than I care to count.

imported_biddy1030
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
never heard of this at the gas stations, but the solicitors outside the commissary are pretty annnoying.

Pullinteeth
03-21-2013, 07:02 PM

Yeah...They have their stupid little tent.. At one base they also had a detailing tent by the class VI....what a pain in the tukus.

garhkal
03-21-2013, 07:31 PM

Or the ambulance chaser type of lawyers i used to see staked out near the emergency ward of some hospitals..

That depends on what level of insurance you have though.. I have regular levels with USAA, and mine was not covered..

FLAPS
03-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Haven't noticed, as I only go to base for commissary and pharmacy.

Ah...your weekly run for psychotropic drugs and Trojan Juniors.

FLAPS
03-21-2013, 08:43 PM

I'm a 6'2" black guy with a Chrysler 300M. Vendors don't even make eye contact.

OtisRNeedleman
03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
FLAPS and Tak need to stop their pissing contest. Man up, the both of you. Got a problem? PM each other. Getting tired of reading the shit.

Otis

Steve-OK
03-21-2013, 10:26 PM
They tried to get me by offering to clean my windshield, no thanks.

imported_KnuckleDragger
03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
They tried to get me by offering to clean my windshield, no thanks.

Have fun with it. See what the nastiest thing is you can put on your windshield, that they still clean up.

Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, go...

Greg
03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Have fun with it. See what the nastiest thing is you can put on your windshield, that they still clean up.

Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, go...

Ha-ha-ha, I'm picturing...

Times Square, NYC, rush hour traffic. A bum staggers over, launches a lugee on your windshield, and then attempts to wipe it off with the grubby sleeve of his jacket, in ever widening circles. "Hey Mister, got some change?"

LogDog
03-21-2013, 11:04 PM
I've noticed this at the gas station at NAS North Island on Coronado. I try to be polite by saying "No thanks" but if they persist I just tell them "NO! I can clean my windows better than they can" and that usually drives them away. The strange thing is there are usually two of them working the 20-some pumps and it doesn't dawn on them for one to take the first 10 pumps and the other to take the second 10 pumps so they don't keep hitting the customers twice. I guess that's what you get when you can't get a real job.

Banned
03-21-2013, 11:55 PM

I've noticed that at Travis AFB. Also equally annoying are the bag ladies in the commissary who guilt trip you into tipping them to put your stuff in a cart and take it to your car... even if you only bought a mountain dew and a pack of chewing gum.

Robert F. Dorr
03-22-2013, 08:28 AM
I've noticed that at Travis AFB. Also equally annoying are the bag ladies in the commissary who guilt trip you into tipping them to put your stuff in a cart and take it to your car... even if you only bought a mountain dew and a pack of chewing gum.

There's another way to look at this. These poor people are just trying to make a living. Their situation reflects the growing gap between the haves and the have-nots, with most of the haves deriving at least some of their income from the government in one way or another. An extreme version of this point of view would be that the military is a privileged class and that these people are disadvantaged and trying to survive.

Mcjohn1118
03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Mr. Dorr, interesting point of view. I don't know when the last time you were at a Commissary, but these baggers range from teenagers to folks in their 70's. I've know some active duty Airmen who have also done this for a few extra spending dollars. They are not employees of the Commissary, but independent contractors and their only earning are from the tips they receive. If the money wasn't good and they truly are "disadvantaged" as you wrote, then they don't have to work there. However, as Joe pointed out, especially at Travis AFB, there are some that are sharks. They will bag your soda and gum and look at you like you are a cheapskate when you don't tip them or look at you with disgust if you tell them you are bagging your own items. BTW, do you tip your baggers at commercial grocery stores? Just curious.

Robert F. Dorr
03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Mr. Dorr, interesting point of view. I don't know when the last time you were at a Commissary, but these baggers range from teenagers to folks in their 70's. I've know some active duty Airmen who have also done this for a few extra spending dollars. They are not employees of the Commissary, but independent contractors and their only earning are from the tips they receive. If the money wasn't good and they truly are "disadvantaged" as you wrote, then they don't have to work there. However, as Joe pointed out, especially at Travis AFB, there are some that are sharks. They will bag your soda and gum and look at you like you are a cheapskate when you don't tip them or look at you with disgust if you tell them you are bagging your own items. BTW, do you tip your baggers at commercial grocery stores? Just curious.

I've read this message several times and it appears to be internally self-contradictory. It's the sentence in the middle that has me confused.

In the civilian world, which is where I buy groceries, it has been at least 20 years since I've seen a bagger who isn't the same person as the cashier ringing up the sale. The general question of tipping is a good one. In restaurants, I always tip a minimum of 20 percent. I tip my barber. I often leave a dollar bill in the tip box at Starbucks. Otherwise, I can't think of anyone who ever gets a tip from me and certainly not anyone in a grocery store.

I see the problem you're pointing to, and I don't have a solution. Obviously, you should be able to do your own bagging.

Monkey
03-22-2013, 12:43 PM
There's another way to look at this. These poor people are just trying to make a living. Their situation reflects the growing gap between the haves and the have-nots, with most of the haves deriving at least some of their income from the government in one way or another. An extreme version of this point of view would be that the military is a privileged class and that these people are disadvantaged and trying to survive.

Another way to look at this is too realise that 40 years ago, these people worked for the gas stations (anybody remember full-service?) and grocery stores. They didn't work for tips because they were paid employees. Their jobs/positions were eliminated to cut costs.

Mcjohn1118
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I've read this message several times and it appears to be internally self-contradictory. It's the sentence in the middle that has me confused.

In the civilian world, which is where I buy groceries, it has been at least 20 years since I've seen a bagger who isn't the same person as the cashier ringing up the sale. The general question of tipping is a good one. In restaurants, I always tip a minimum of 20 percent. I tip my barber. I often leave a dollar bill in the tip box at Starbucks. Otherwise, I can't think of anyone who ever gets a tip from me and certainly not anyone in a grocery store.

I see the problem you're pointing to, and I don't have a solution. Obviously, you should be able to do your own bagging.

Actually, Mr. Dorr, I wasn't trying to call anyone out for tipping at civilian grocery stores. In Ohio, we have Kroger, Meijer's, and of course Wal-Mart as the big three. In Kroger, they have a second person bag and I have offered tips but they decline; I believe they are paid employees. I guess I don't understand why DeCA doesn't just have some of their paid employees bag. Maybe they aren't gertting enough tax-payer subsidies. I know I'll take some heat for that comment but it's the truth.

sandsjames
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM

I have offered tips to baggers at commercial stores. They are not allowed to take the tips. At the commissary, you do not have to tip. If you feel guilted into it, it's on you. The easiest way to avoid this, Joe, if you aren't into helping lower/middle class people earn some money, you can take your two items and go through the self checkout or you can bag the items yourself. You can also have them bag and not tip.

I, for one, like to help the "less fortunate" so am happy to throw in some money. I can spare .$50 to $1 at the express line and $2-3 in the regular line. Also, I hope that in my retirement, you all will be willing to give me that tip. If not, I will still gladly bag your groceries and take them to your car for you.

Shrike
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
I have offered tips to baggers at commercial stores. They are not allowed to take the tips. At the commissary, you do not have to tip. If you feel guilted into it, it's on you. The easiest way to avoid this, Joe, if you aren't into helping lower/middle class people earn some money, you can take your two items and go through the self checkout or you can bag the items yourself. You can also have them bag and not tip.

I, for one, like to help the "less fortunate" so am happy to throw in some money. I can spare .$50 to $1 at the express line and $2-3 in the regular line. Also, I hope that in my retirement, you all will be willing to give me that tip. If not, I will still gladly bag your groceries and take them to your car for you.
No no no, the government needs to forcibly take money from you and give it to the baggers. That's the only method that works.:yuck

sandsjames
03-22-2013, 03:31 PM
No no no, the government needs to forcibly take money from you and give it to the baggers. That's the only method that works.:yuck

Good call. Probably best if the take extra money from E8 up to O-10, directly from the paychecks monthly, to cover this. Those people are making too much money anyway. They don't need all that. They should be more than willing to support the baggers.

Pullinteeth
03-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Seriously? Are you saying that family member spouses/children and retirees are "have-nots"? How can you then say that "haves" derive at least some of their income from the government? I think you are a bit confused about who the baggers are at the commissary...

Shrike
03-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Seriously? Are you saying that family member spouses/children and retirees are "have-nots"? How can you then say that "haves" derive at least some of their income from the government? I think you are a bit confused about who the baggers are at the commissary...

You beat me to it. Apparently Robert believes that the baggers are bused in from the projects or something. Robert, the baggers are derived from predominantly three groups: retired military, spouses of military, and children of military. Occasionally the baggers are active duty military who are doing it as a unit fundraiser.

USN - Retired
03-22-2013, 04:38 PM

I get the impression that you are trying to be sarcastic, but I don't get your point. Please elaborate your point. (or do you really think it is unnecessary to provide a tip to a bag lady when she bags only a few items?)

Pullinteeth
03-22-2013, 05:15 PM
I get the impression that you are trying to be sarcastic, but I don't get your point. Please elaborate your point. (or do you really think it is unnecessary to provide a tip to a bag lady when she bags only a few items?)

I do. If they bag a ton of groceries and load 'em in my car, sure a tip is warrented. Putting two items in a bag and placing my Mountian Dew on the check signing ledge does not warrent a tip IMHO...

Banned
03-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I have offered tips to baggers at commercial stores. They are not allowed to take the tips.

From what I understand, that's AAFES policy.

At the commissary, you do not have to tip. If you feel guilted into it, it's on you. The easiest way to avoid this, Joe, if you aren't into helping lower/middle class people earn some money, you can take your two items and go through the self checkout or you can bag the items yourself. You can also have them bag and not tip.

I can never say no.

garhkal
03-22-2013, 07:06 PM

That's why i love the self serve tills, if i have only a few items.

BTW, do you tip your baggers at commercial grocery stores? Just curious.

Depends on where/how much i have to bag. Most stores like walmart the employees bag it as part n parcel of ringing me up. So no. But at some other places, where they are not doing so as part of the ring up procedure, then yes.

Actually, Mr. Dorr, I wasn't trying to call anyone out for tipping at civilian grocery stores. In Ohio, we have Kroger, Meijer's, and of course Wal-Mart as the big three. In Kroger, they have a second person bag and I have offered tips but they decline; I believe they are paid employees. I guess I don't understand why DeCA doesn't just have some of their paid employees bag. Maybe they aren't gertting enough tax-payer subsidies. I know I'll take some heat for that comment but it's the truth.

Neither do i.. Some times at the commissary i have seen 3-4 people milling around, doing nothing (workers), so why can't THEY bag.??

I do. If they bag a ton of groceries and load 'em in my car, sure a tip is warrented. Putting two items in a bag and placing my Mountian Dew on the check signing ledge does not warrent a tip IMHO...

Agreed. one small or medium size bag.. no tip 2 or more large bags.. tip.

Rizzo77
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I often leave a dollar bill in the tip box at Starbucks.

Well, they sure saw you coming.

The only simile I can even come up with is do you see a tip box at McDonalds or Taco Bell? If they put out a tip box, would you drop a dollar in it?

I guess anyone that would spend four bucks for a 22 cent cup of coffee deserves to be exploited.

Robert F. Dorr
03-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, they sure saw you coming.

The only simile I can even come up with is do you see a tip box at McDonalds or Taco Bell? If they put out a tip box, would you drop a dollar in it?

I guess anyone that would spend four bucks for a 22 cent cup of coffee deserves to be exploited.

The answer is yes.

Pluses and minuses:

I need a place that is open for business at 5:00 a.m. (I would prefer 4:00 a.m., but that is not possible around here). Starbucks is closest and easiest to reach. A little farther away are McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. There is also a 7-Eleven a little farther away.

Starbucks is the only one of these outlets where the employees were born in the same country as myself and speak one of the languages I know.

All of the others have better tasting coffee and better food.

The employees at McDonald's repeatedly and consistently refuse tips. Apparently, they've been told to.

I do tip at Dunkin' and don't at 7-Eleven.

I love Starbucks and I hate it. If American civilization hadn't already ended on January 20, 2001, it would have ended the day Starbucks introduced Pike Place.

Robert F. Dorr
03-22-2013, 10:03 PM

You're correct. But you straightened me out. Thank you.

I guess if you want to see a "have not," you'll have to go outside the main gate.

Rizzo77
03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Starbucks is the only one of these outlets where the employees were born in the same country as myself and speak one of the languages I know.

Damn, Bob, BIGOT much?

At least you prove that the greatest bigots and hypocrites are "progressives".

Rizzo77
03-22-2013, 11:36 PM
I love Starbucks and I hate it. If American civilization hadn't already ended on January 20, 2001, it would have ended the day Starbucks introduced Pike Place.

Keep paying Starbucks for a sh1t cup of coffee. They prosper from dishpits like you.

imnohero
03-23-2013, 12:20 AM
If American civilization hadn't already ended on January 20, 2001.

"American civilization" didn't end, it never started.

Robert F. Dorr
03-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Damn, Bob, BIGOT much?

Explain how it's bigoted. Does being opposed to immigration make one bigoted?

JD2780
03-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Damn, Bob, BIGOT much?

Not so much a bigot, but more along the lines of he doesnt want to use a translator to get his coffee. Learn the language or get a job that doesnt require talking.

BOSS302
03-23-2013, 02:54 AM
The answer is yes.

Pluses and minuses:

I need a place that is open for business at 5:00 a.m. (I would prefer 4:00 a.m., but that is not possible around here). Starbucks is closest and easiest to reach. A little farther away are McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts. There is also a 7-Eleven a little farther away.

All of the others have better tasting coffee and better food.

The employees at McDonald's repeatedly and consistently refuse tips. Apparently, they've been told to.

I do tip at Dunkin' and don't at 7-Eleven.

Really? That's it? That is your reasoning? You really do fit the saying of, "A fool and his money are soon parted". Instead of brewing your coffee at home for cents on the dollar and even taking it with you in a thermos (or brewing more at work for, again, cents on the dollar), you choose to pay upwards of $4.00 + a tip while even managing to work some magical bigotry into your reasoning. Kudos.

That makes about as much sense as your belief that the US Air Force should consist of long-range bombers and dirigibles.

Quixotic
03-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Really? That's it? That is your reasoning? You really do fit the saying of, "A fool and his money are soon parted". Instead of brewing your coffee at home for cents on the dollar and even taking it with you in a thermos (or brewing more at work for, again, cents on the dollar), you choose to pay upwards of $4.00 + a tip while even managing to work some magical bigotry into your reasoning. Kudos.

That makes about as much sense as your belief that the US Air Force should consist of long-range bombers and dirigibles.

Awww yes, it's the silly discretionary spending argument again, where what you spend your's on is a silly waste of money but what I spend mine on is a crucial necessity of life that can't be lived without, like a stupid @ss Ford Mustang, right?

Rizzo77
03-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Explain how it's bigoted. Does being opposed to immigration make one bigoted?

Read your own crap, Bob -

In YOUR OWN SCENARIO, the employee is born in the "same country as myself." Were you born is Bosnia? Figure it out, man.

garhkal
03-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Awww yes, it's the silly discretionary spending argument again, where what you spend your's on is a silly waste of money but what I spend mine on is a crucial necessity of life that can't be lived without, like a stupid @ss Ford Mustang, right?

I have only heard a few people say coffee is a Necessity of life.. all were caffine addicts.

Shrike
03-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Really? That's it? That is your reasoning? You really do fit the saying of, "A fool and his money are soon parted". Instead of brewing your coffee at home for cents on the dollar and even taking it with you in a thermos (or brewing more at work for, again, cents on the dollar), you choose to pay upwards of $4.00 + a tip for a cup of nasty-ass burnt coffee while even managing to work some magical bigotry into your reasoning. Kudos.

Fixed it for you. :)

Robert F. Dorr
03-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Read your own crap, Bob -

In YOUR OWN SCENARIO, the employee is born in the "same country as myself." Were you born is Bosnia? Figure it out, man.

If I had been born in Bosnia, would that make me not bigoted? Why should I have to figure out what you're thinking? You're the one who made the charge. I have a firmly established record of not being bigoted against anyone. I'm also opposed to immigration. And as a matter of preference, when I go to a store to buy something I'd prefer to encounter someone who speaks English.

I'm not going to attempt to figure out what you mean. If you're able to write clearly -- a capability not yet demonstrated -- you can explain what you mean. That's what this place is for. If you want people to understand what you mean, make it clear. Just remember that I was marching for civil rights before you were born.

RobotChicken
03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
If I had been born in Bosnia, would that make me not bigoted? Why should I have to figure out what you're thinking? You're the one who made the charge. I have a firmly established record of not being bigoted against anyone. I'm also opposed to immigration. And as a matter of preference, when I go to a store to buy something I'd prefer to encounter someone who speaks English.

I'm not going to attempt to figure out what you mean. If you're able to write clearly -- a capability not yet demonstrated -- you can explain what you mean. That's what this place is for. If you want people to understand what you mean, make it clear. Just remember that I was marching for civil rights before you were born.
:whoo As I was saying about "Respect your Elders"......."Son I have been YOUR age...BUT YOU have never been mine;so be quiet"...:lol

OtisRNeedleman
03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Far as on-base gas station solicitors go, have never seen one anywhere. Certainly don't see them on the Navy base where I get gas. Is this some sort of phenomenon peculiar to one base or command?

Robert F. Dorr
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM

The price for a cup of coffee at Starbucks around here is $1.68. The price at Dunkin Donuts is $1.42. The price at 7-Eleven is $1.32. I've just cited them in reverse order of the quality and taste of their coffee. The latter two locations are farther away so that means more gasoline. No outlet near me sells a cup of coffee for $4.00 unless it contains extra ingredients and none sells a cup for $0.22.

Stalwart
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Just remember that I was marching for civil rights before you were born.

"Respect your Elders"......."Son I have been YOUR age...BUT YOU have never been mine;so be quiet"...:lol

Experience is valuable, but may not apply to the current time or set of circumstances. I am all about respecting my seniors or elders, but I do know that being older doesn't necessarily make someone right.

sandsjames
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
The price for a cup of coffee at Starbucks around here is $1.68. The price at Dunkin Donuts is $1.42. The price at 7-Eleven is $1.32. I've just cited them in reverse order of the quality and taste of their coffee. The latter two locations are farther away so that means more gasoline. No outlet near me sells a cup of coffee for $4.00 unless it contains extra ingredients and none sells a cup for $0.22.

You can buy a can of coffee, or even a bag, for $5-7. Brew it up at home. You can make (depending on the strength) 30-40 cups, making the cost about $.17 cents a cup (plus you aren't using any gas which means, in addition to saving money, you are helping the environment).

I don't care what you spend your money on, but I don't see the point of you using cost as an excuse when cost obviously isn't the reason you choose Starbucks. If cost was the reason, you'd make it/drink it at home.

I'm on board with you on the "speak English" argument. I don't mind (legal) immigration at all (otherwise I could never have met my Canadian wife). What I do mind is having to decipher signs and dialog. You'd think communication would be a key factor at a customer service location.

I will make exceptions, however. I ate at an "authentic" Mexican restaraunt Friday night. The owners had quite a strong accent. I was ok with that.

Robert F. Dorr
03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Experience is valuable, but may not apply to the current time or set of circumstances. I am all about respecting my seniors or elders, but I do know that being older doesn't necessarily make someone right.

Of course it is.

Of course it doesn't.

The posts are follow-ups to an allegation of bigotry for preferring to deal with one's own countrymen in one's own language when seeking a cup of coffee at 5:00 a.m. Whatever you think about that preference, your view probably isn't influenced by your age.

But regardless of what you think of that preference, characterizing it as bigotry is going too far.

Stalwart
03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I am just pointing out that having marched for civil rights before someone was born doesn't mean that someone may not see your statement as bigoted.

I can see both sides of this argument: that it may be going too far and that not wanting to have to be served by someone not from here, or whose native language is not English could be viewed at bigoted.

Robert F. Dorr
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
I am just pointing out that having marched for civil rights before someone was born doesn't mean that someone may not see your statement as bigoted.

I can see both sides of this argument: that it may be going too far and that not wanting to have to be served by someone not from here, or whose native language is not English could be viewed at bigoted.

I did not write that I do not want to be served by someone not from here, or whose native language is not English. That appears nowhere in my post. In fact, the original post did not mention English.

Stalwart
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
I did not write that I do not want to be served by someone not from here, or whose native language is not English. That appears nowhere in my post. In fact, the original post did not mention English.

Not exactly, but based on what you did say the inference is there: