PDA

View Full Version : I guess I am/was the only Services troop intelligent enough to come to this board!

jondstewart
03-20-2013, 05:47 AM
The top people in Services are usually cutthroat business people trying to make a name for themselves, which usually consists of stepping on toes and kissing up to the brass. Located in San Antonio, Texas for the most part. The middle people, usually SSgt's and TSgt's usually have to just go along and suck it up. And the Airmen are usually oppressed, hapless, or in and out of trouble.

Let it be known Services is NOT a career field to succeed in unless the higher uppers like you!

Doesn't matter how good of a cook you are, how well you manage a fitness center, how well you know your stuff. If you don't do what I mentioned at the top, you will NOT succeed. MSgt at best if you study hard. That is all!

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 05:57 AM
:spy Just finished the 90 minute flick...'Grinding America Down', interesting,But know better then to comment on it here on 'MTF'.

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 06:00 AM
The top people in Services are usually cutthroat business people trying to make a name for themselves, which usually consists of stepping on toes and kissing up to the brass. Located in San Antonio, Texas for the most part. The middle people, usually SSgt's and TSgt's usually have to just go along and suck it up. And the Airmen are usually oppressed, hapless, or in and out of trouble.

Let it be known Services is NOT a career field to succeed in unless the higher uppers like you!

Doesn't matter how good of a cook you are, how well you manage a fitness center, how well you know your stuff. If you don't do what I mentioned at the top, you will NOT succeed. MSgt at best if you study hard. That is all!
Do you know a guy named 'PT-G........'

jondstewart
03-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Well, I got chosen to be in "Food Service" which is what it was at the time I came in. After I was told what my career field would be I thought "great, for the next 4 years, I'll be an old hag behind the serving line wearing a hairnet". But there were some cooks that were federal employees, which are now far and few between, that influenced me. And I developed a passion for cooking, which is rare in the military.

It did some good, at least. I'm working a job at radar sites all over Alaska through the 611th Air Support Group cooking, doing logistics, and weather observation that pays even better than I made as a TSgt

jondstewart
03-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Tests showed 2 out of every 10 services troops are illiterate and
Most are separated or incarcerated. On the whole, they fill their
Roll as mindless service workers who keep places open when
The base shuts down and work horrible shifts.

Didn't know it was that extreme! But yes, many, if not most Services troops that got out after a first enlistment were even worse off in the civilian world working menial jobs. And the illiteracy thing doesn't surprise me. Closest thing to intellectual endeavors I knew many of them had were video games or clubbing

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Tests showed 2 out of every 10 services troops are illiterate and
Most are separated or incarcerated. On the whole, they fill their
Roll as mindless service workers who keep places open when
The base shuts down and work horrible shifts.
:angelSounds like to me that is 'above and beyond the call of duty' to keep all those late night flights fat cats fed after they land! Bronze star at least saving a starving air crew from having a class 1. (crash,death,destruction to non-mil types) :thumb

jondstewart
03-20-2013, 06:34 AM
:angelSounds like to me that is 'above and beyond the call of duty' to keep all those late night flights fat cats fed after they land! Bronze star at least saving a starving air crew from having a class 1. (crash,death,destruction to non-mil types) :thumb

Don't forget there are a lot of civilian contractors making half the money doing the exact same thing! Those shady-assed food service giants, Aramark and Sodexo, have crept their way into Air Force food service with the intention of making money for the government, or for better term, transforming food service!

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Don't forget there are a lot of civilian contractors making half the money doing the exact same thing! Those shady-assed food service giants, Aramark and Sodexo, have crept their way into Air Force food service with the intention of making money for the government, or for better term, transforming food service!
:peepReminds me of a movie....'Battle of the Bulge..when Charles Bronson told the cooks in....' Watch the movie..sheeesh...got to explain everything.....:smow

CrustySMSgt
03-20-2013, 09:32 AM
I guess I am/was the only Services troop intelligent enough to come to this board!

The more you post, the more I'm thinking this is just another personality (voice?) in the head of the creator or PT God. :crazy

KellyinAvon
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM

+1 for "shady-assed". I may use that today.

Shrike
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Didn't know it was that extreme! But yes, many, if not most Services troops that got out after a first enlistment were even worse off in the civilian world working menial jobs. And the illiteracy thing doesn't surprise me. Closest thing to intellectual endeavors I knew many of them had were video games or clubbing

Your sarcasm and bullshit detectors are broken beyond repair.

imported_biddy1030
03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I dont know if everyone in services bears the intellectual capacity of a grapefruit but yes there are some dumb ones. I joined open general and after they classified me as color blind I was screwed. Always hated the job, its very degrading. Never enjoyed cooking but fitness was a lot more than handing out towels, I actually got certified for 5 different regiments. Also, the best job I ever did in Services was at Dover performing dignified transfers. Other than Dover, the job can suck a fat stick. The ones who make it a career generally take the job way too seriously and think they are the next iron chef. Lucky for me though I finished college and did a special duty where I wanted to lay down roots and got a teaching job after separating.

JD2780
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I dont know if everyone in services bears the intellectual capacity of a grapefruit but yes there are some dumb ones. I joined open general and after they classified me as color blind I was screwed. Always hated the job, its very degrading. Never enjoyed cooking but fitness was a lot more than handing out towels, I actually got certified for 5 different regiments. Also, the best job I ever did in Services was at Dover performing dignified transfers. Other than Dover, the job can suck a fat stick. The ones who make it a career generally take the job way too seriously and think they are the next iron chef. Lucky for me though I finished college and did a special duty where I wanted to lay down roots and got a teaching job after separating.

Thats awesome man. Thanks doing your part regardless of whether it was mandatory or voluntary you assisted in bringing home some our nations bravest. When were you there?

imported_biddy1030
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Thats awesome man. Thanks doing your part regardless of whether it was mandatory or voluntary you assisted in bringing home some our nations bravest. When were you there?

I was there sep 2010-mar 2011. I don't think i have or ever will experience a more rewarding and humbling experience.

Shrike
03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I was there sep 2010-mar 2011. I don't think i have or ever will experience a more rewarding and humbling experience.

Thanks for doing that. Any time I hear people belittling Services I remind them that Mortuary Affairs is part of their duties.

OtisRNeedleman
03-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Personally, I never belittled Services. Haven't always been impressed with certain Services workers, but overall I appreciated what Services provided. All part of the same team.

JD2780
03-20-2013, 06:52 PM

You most likely wont experience that ever again. Thanks again though. I know a few of the guys that took the memorable trip down the ramp in the transfer cases. You guys always did a stand up job.

JD2780
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for doing that. Any time I hear people belittling Services I remind them that Mortuary Affairs is part of their duties.

Same here. They get quite a bit of flak, but I always knew my remains would be handled honorably if I went down that road.

CrustySMSgt
03-21-2013, 05:52 AM
The ones who make it a career generally take the job way too seriously and think they are the next iron chef.

WHy bash someone because they actually enjoy their job, take it seriously, and strive to do their best. Just because it wasn't a good fit for you is no reason to talk shit about those who do well at it.

giggawatt
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
chow hall. gym. mess hall.

JD2780
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
WHy bash someone because they actually enjoy their job, take it seriously, and strive to do their best. Just because it wasn't a good fit for you is no reason to talk shit about those who do well at it.

Maybe they could be the next iron chef, but they're angry disgruntled supervisor wont give them the leave to compete!!

Pullinteeth
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe they could be the next iron chef, but they're angry disgruntled supervisor wont give them the leave to compete!!

Unless delegated by the CC, a supervisor doesn't have the authority to deny leave...

imported_biddy1030
03-21-2013, 06:45 PM

not really bashing, but based on personal experience those who do think they are the bees knees are actually not and have seen too many services guys stepped on so that this type of person could advance. I had a supervisor who was an executive chef at the pentagon and was on Emeril live but still looked out for his people and taught others fine culinary skills instead of being a douche about it.

JD2780
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Unless delegated by the CC, a supervisor doesn't have the authority to deny leave...

Officially. They will harass into submission if you let them though. Almost happened to me until my Flt CC told me not ot worry about it.

You're 100% correct though. Only a CC has the authority to deny leave unless such authority is delegated.

jondstewart
03-23-2013, 06:40 AM

Hmm. I didn't perform dignified transfers, but at least worked in an area where dignified transfers started! And usually it was the Army that were the dignified transfers rather than the Air Force, who were there as support :)

VFFTSGT
03-23-2013, 07:36 AM
:spy Just finished the 90 minute flick...'Grinding America Down', interesting,But know better then to comment on it here on 'MTF'.

Sounds interesting, what's it about.

RobotChicken
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Sounds interesting, what's it about.
:earJust 'google' it, one of the other forum folks had a post about it a few days ago and of course I went straight for it, 90 mintutes went fast! :typing