PDA

View Full Version : Individual Issue Items

medic07
03-20-2013, 01:47 AM
If you were issued a jacket at your base and did not sign a 1297 for it what is the rule on having to turn it in when you PCS? Was never an issue until Sequestration and now my unit wants clothing items back when you PCS. Seems kinda fishy to me. I unerstand that money is tight but how can you retroactively want something back that was issued and not signed out?

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 02:23 AM
QUOTE=medic07;613980]If you were issued a jacket at your base and did not sign a 1297 for it what is the rule on having to turn it in when you PCS? Was never an issue until Sequestration and now my unit wants clothing items back when you PCS. Seems kinda fishy to me. I unerstand that money is tight but how can you retroactively want something back that was issued and not signed out?[/QUOTE]
:clock From what I have read, the ARMY comes after you at the hospital for payment of gear left on the battlefield after your wounded, disoriented self was airlifted out! It is same as that supply Capt in that Clint Eastwood movie. :nono

LogDog
03-20-2013, 05:00 AM
If you were issued a jacket at your base and did not sign a 1297 for it what is the rule on having to turn it in when you PCS? Was never an issue until Sequestration and now my unit wants clothing items back when you PCS. Seems kinda fishy to me. I unerstand that money is tight but how can you retroactively want something back that was issued and not signed out?
If you signed the 1297 then it's on loan to you and you have to return it. Depending upon what the item is, if they don't have a 1297 then how can they claim they issued it to you? If you're on flight status then having an AF flight suit or helmet might be hard to claim that you bought it at Clothing Sales.

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 05:06 AM
See post #2 after your shot down and let me know how it works out. :plane:flame:hurt:hand

SomeRandomGuy
03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
:clock From what I have read, the ARMY comes after you at the hospital for payment of gear left on the battlefield after your wounded, disoriented self was airlifted out! It is same as that supply Capt in that Clint Eastwood movie. :nono

This is actually correct. My brother is a convoy operator for the Army. During the first Iraq war he was home on R and R when his Humvee was blown up by an IED. All of his gear was in the burned up Humvee. When he returned they issued him new gear to replace it. At the end of his tour supply was asking him to turn in both sets of gear. When he explained his gear was blown up they said that still is not an excuse. He ended up "borrowing" some extra gear from DoD contractors who somehow had a ton of extra. He turned that in and went on his way.

JD2780
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
This is actually correct. My brother is a convoy operator for the Army. During the first Iraq war he was home on R and R when his Humvee was blown up by an IED. All of his gear was in the burned up Humvee. When he returned they issued him new gear to replace it. At the end of his tour supply was asking him to turn in both sets of gear. When he explained his gear was blown up they said that still is not an excuse. He ended up "borrowing" some extra gear from DoD contractors who somehow had a ton of extra. He turned that in and went on his way.

Thats not Army policy. Its the supply folks at CIF being asshats. With CIF you have to have your ETOOL spray painted, none of your gear can show any type wear or tear. Clowns.

As for the AF stuff. No tickey, no laundry. If they cant produce a 1297 or some other documentation showing your recieved, keep it!!

giggawatt
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Doesn't the army combat loss a lot of shit?

JD2780
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Doesn't the army combat loss a lot of shit?

They scrutinize every avenue before they'll combat loss it. However, it does happen often for certain items. However, they're also crazy about turning stuff in. There was a group of individuals that went through CIF, got all the standard issue stuff, a SNCO video taped the whole thing. Well they packaged it up, put it in a sealed locker, then brought back a month later with artificial orders. The bag was never opened until that day. The CIF folks told him it all needed to be cleaned prior to being handed in. They were standing their ground until they were shown the video, then the excuses came out.

This is what I'm told. Its a story, even if its a fake story its pretty good one and seems plausible.

Z1911
03-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Anyone care to guess how much of this used equipment is never re-issued, but turns up at DRMO, RIPL, DLA Disposition Services, or whatever it's being called today? I'd be willing to bet most of it...

Surplus Uniforms and Field Gear (http://www.govliquidation.com/Uniforms-and-Field-Gear.html)

Usable Government Surplus (http://www.govliquidation.com/)

Uniforms and Field Gear (http://govliquidation.com/Uniforms-and-Field-Gear.html)

Government Scrap Surplus (http://www.govliquidation.com/Scrap-Metal.html)

bluecyclone1
03-20-2013, 03:40 PM

If there's no 1297, it didn't happen.

USMC0341
03-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I had a bunch of combat loss gear; still had to fill out a missing gear statement and check the box "No I am not buying or reimbursing the gear cost"

I did tell them what part of the desert thy may go look for it if they were ever in the area.

Of all the wasteful spending that goes on, the priorities are a bit f'd up.

VFFTSGT
03-20-2013, 08:18 PM

Units (read: commanders) are acting all kinds of stupid right now due to this budget nonsense.

Preparing my IG complaint for when tens of thousands of dollars are wasted on stupidity during the annual waste government money fest we refer to as end of year spending.

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Units (read: commanders) are acting all kinds of stupid right now due to this budget nonsense.

Preparing my IG complaint for when tens of thousands of dollars are wasted on stupidity during the annual waste government money fest we refer to as end of year spending.
:noideaYEA....the 'ole spend it or loose it' next year crap. WAIT!! Do they still park aircraft at the 'boneyard' with full aux tanks too to add to next years budget request?? Fill 'er up when they land, tow it across the street,park,unload fuel and back in the same tanks. :juggle

KellyinAvon
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
We need a 2S071 to chime in on the OP's question (that's my 2AFSC, Secondary AFSC, Bob, but it's been too long since I practiced that specialty). "What kind of jacket" (Parka? Gortex? Field?) is the question that must be answered. Parkas are returnable, gortex is not. Field jackets are in a different category. DannyJ, you out there?

RS6405
03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
QUOTE=medic07;613980]

My friend, who is at a WTU, mention another patient that is having to pay for his missing gear since he was airlifted in only his shorts.

RS6405
03-20-2013, 11:32 PM
No one knows what WTU is...dippy long stockings.

Ok RFD Jr.....WTU = Warrior Transition Units for the Army's Wounded Warriors while they are still on active duty.

RS6405
03-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Much better peppy la phew

Who pissed if your cornflakes?

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
03-21-2013, 12:18 AM
We need a 2S071 to chime in on the OP's question (that's my 2AFSC, Secondary AFSC, Bob, but it's been too long since I practiced that specialty). "What kind of jacket" (Parka? Gortex? Field?) is the question that must be answered. Parkas are returnable, gortex is not. Field jackets are in a different category. DannyJ, you out there?

I was wondering the same thing. Once upon a time I was issued a parka, and it was pretty clear that I had to return it before I left. I don't recall if I signed something or not, but I knew the deal, and I took care of the parka. There was no way I was going to get stuck paying for it.

strataboomer
03-21-2013, 12:35 AM
If you signed the 1297 then it's on loan to you and you have to return it. Depending upon what the item is, if they don't have a 1297 then how can they claim they issued it to you? If you're on flight status then having an AF flight suit or helmet might be hard to claim that you bought it at Clothing Sales.

Just to be clear....we don't have to return a flight suit or helmet.

strataboomer
03-21-2013, 12:44 AM
They go straight to space hall of fame???

Bag in the basement....so the wife can fuss

LogDog
03-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Just to be clear....we don't have to return a flight suit or helmet.
The only time I dealt with a flight or helmet was with our medical group commander many years ago. He asked us to return it to IE and get his 1297 which we did. It was no big deal for us to do this because we made trips there every week.