PDA

View Full Version : GI Bill Transfer

Avenger
03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
RIP Avenger

Sergeant eNYgma
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
My kid is not even a year old yet so hopefully this is still around for when I use it on her. A great benefit I agree...

Drackore
03-19-2013, 03:58 PM
There are people out there that did not know they could do it and let a deadline slip?

For the past three years or so - wasn't this the hot topic from everyone's mouth, email, news article, CC Call, blog, or FB post? Where do these people live? Under a fucking rock?

JD2780
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
My kid is not even a year old yet so hopefully this is still around for when I use it on her. A great benefit I agree...

You can transfer it to her prior to her being anywhere near school age. You'll just have to reenlist.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
You can transfer it to her prior to her being anywhere near school age. You'll just have to reenlist.

Sounds good, will do then. I'll reup next year.

JD2780
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Sounds good, will do then. I'll reup next year.

Check with the ed office. There may have been changes that I'm unaware of.

JD2780
03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I transferred to my kids, back when program came out.
I read this as if people are like at 24 years in and about
To retire, they can transfer now, with no extra time to give,
Then retire...my youngest won't be college age for another
11 years.

With the current state of TA, it might be smart to hang on to for a bit instead of transfering.

SomeRandomGuy
03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
With the current state of TA, it might be smart to hang on to for a bit instead of transfering.

We had a briefing from the education office about it during my ALS class (3 years ago). The briefer said that adjustments can be made to how much you give each depenedant as long as you at least gave them one month to start. He advised everyone to simply give each dependant one month of your 36 and then you can increase it later. I have talked to other education representatives who do not recommend that method but they claim it does work. Apparantly, you have to deal with the VA to switch your allocations and it can be a little cumbersome. This advice was three years ago though so it has probably changed by now. Always best to talk to the source anyways though.

efmbman
03-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I transferred mine to my wife. She is 2 terms from completing her Masters in Social Work. I look at it as a reward for following me around to crappy duty stations for the last 8 years. It is indeed a great program.

Tak
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
RIP Avenger

You did your job and the war was won.
You are being put in for an award some
consider higher then the Medal of Honor,
it's the decoration for drone pilots who
conduct strategic strikes and you were
a certified ace. Thank you for your service.
Rest in Peace my friend.

Chief_KO
04-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Be sure not to transfer 100% of your benefit, keep at least 1 month for yourself. You can always rearrange how much you transfer to spouse/children but once you transfer 100% you can't get it back. If you later qualify for VA Vocational Rehabilitation (chapter 31) you can opt to use your GI Bill stipend (which could pay more than the chapter 31 stipend).

Measure Man
04-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I used up 9 months of benefit when I was still in the Montgomery GI Bill.

So, when Post 9-11 came out, I only have 27 months remaining, which I transferred all of that to my daughter who graduates high school this spring, and will begin using it in the fall.

CrustySMSgt
04-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Be sure not to transfer 100% of your benefit, keep at least 1 month for yourself. You can always rearrange how much you transfer to spouse/children but once you transfer 100% you can't get it back. If you later qualify for VA Vocational Rehabilitation (chapter 31) you can opt to use your GI Bill stipend (which could pay more than the chapter 31 stipend).

Good advice! Transfer all but one month to your dependants, because if you kick the bucket while still in and haven't, the benefits aren't part of your estate and will go to the grave with you! Then you can always take it back if you intend to use it yourself later.

Tak
04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Apparently Avenger got permanently banned.
Weird, I don't recall him doing anything wrong.

VFFTSGT
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM

What the heck?!

What was the content of his OP?

Tak
04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
What the heck?!

What was the content of his OP?

He was a friendly guy, tried to share good info.

They keep bringing back willpowers, yet
avenger remains barred for life.

JD2780
04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
He was a friendly guy, tried to share good info.

They keep bringing back willpowers, yet
avenger remains barred for life.

I smell a conspiracy!!!

FLAPS
04-24-2013, 02:27 AM

That sucks. I got an email from Blue Warrior the other day, who said he gets paroled from banned camp on 3 May. He said he might choose not to come back though.

VFFTSGT
04-24-2013, 02:36 AM
That sucks. I got an email from Blue Warrior the other day, who said he gets paroled from banned camp on 3 May. He said he might choose not to come back though.

What he do to get banned?

Tak
04-24-2013, 02:52 AM

Avenger says he was banned for life officially for being a double acct, weird, didn't
Think anyone did that on here. Oh well, he will just stay a lurker.

FLAPS
04-24-2013, 03:57 AM
What he do to get banned?

He merely existed, that's all. You can't have more than one screename on here. Why it took them so long to figure out who was doing that is beyond me.

Tak
04-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Now I've seen everything
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/10/guantanamo-prisoners-to-receive-gi-bill-benefits/

PickYourBattles
04-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Any mil to mil folks transfer GI Bill to their spouse for double the GI Bill?