PDA

View Full Version : Question for full-time Demo/Band/any performance team members

ConfusedAirman
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
If your job is as a full-time member of a demo team, band, musical group, etc., just what do you do during the workday now that such performances have been drastically cutback?

If you are not one of these people but have info regarding their daily duties, please share. Inquiring minds want to know.

JD2780
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
i would venture to guess, practice all sorts of different types of music. Thats just me. TDYs have been drastically cut, but that doesnt mean in house training has been cut. Probably the same for them.

SomeRandomGuy
03-19-2013, 01:26 PM
If your job is as a full-time member of a demo team, band, musical group, etc., just what do you do during the workday now that such performances have been drastically cutback?

If you are not one of these people but have info regarding their daily duties, please share. Inquiring minds want to know.

I can only provide limited information but I am hoping someone else can provide the answer because I am curious too. here is what I know from talking to one person who was a member of the WPAFB band several years ago:

I went to FTAC with a kid who played bass guitar in the WPAFB band. I specifically remember this kid because he was single but allowed to move out of the dorms as an Airman Basic. The reason for moving him out of the dorms was because he needed to practice and the dorms have quit time 24/7. I thought that was an amazing perk though it probably is not standard practice. At the time I asked this kid about his schedule because I also wondered what exactly the band does when they are not performing. He said the majority of their day is spent practicing. Their schedule tends to be rather erratic though so they end up with lots of "comp hours" when nothing is scheduleed for the day. Even though big events are cancelled the local base band normally performs at a variety of events. This would include singing the national anthem at promotions and retirements as well as playing for awards ceremonies. The way he explained it is that they basically have a smiliar schedule to full time base honor guard. Some days they have a detail and others they do not. Sometimes they spend off days practicing and other times they simply go home for the day. The days they spend at home basically make up for all the hours they spend at night and on weekends playing different functions.

Your question is an interesting one but it could also be applied to several other AFSCs. What are pilots doing now that flying hours are basically non-existent? What does EOD (explosive ordinace disposal) do when they are not deployed? The answer to all these questions is that they are "training" yet when an office such as Finance or Personnel closes for a "training day" it seems to be the end of the world.

imported_biddy1030
03-20-2013, 04:48 PM
I can only provide limited information but I am hoping someone else can provide the answer because I am curious too. here is what I know from talking to one person who was a member of the WPAFB band several years ago:

I went to FTAC with a kid who played bass guitar in the WPAFB band. I specifically remember this kid because he was single but allowed to move out of the dorms as an Airman Basic. The reason for moving him out of the dorms was because he needed to practice and the dorms have quit time 24/7. I thought that was an amazing perk though it probably is not standard practice. At the time I asked this kid about his schedule because I also wondered what exactly the band does when they are not performing. He said the majority of their day is spent practicing. Their schedule tends to be rather erratic though so they end up with lots of "comp hours" when nothing is scheduleed for the day. Even though big events are cancelled the local base band normally performs at a variety of events. This would include singing the national anthem at promotions and retirements as well as playing for awards ceremonies. The way he explained it is that they basically have a smiliar schedule to full time base honor guard. Some days they have a detail and others they do not. Sometimes they spend off days practicing and other times they simply go home for the day. The days they spend at home basically make up for all the hours they spend at night and on weekends playing different functions.

Your question is an interesting one but it could also be applied to several other AFSCs. What are pilots doing now that flying hours are basically non-existent? What does EOD (explosive ordinace disposal) do when they are not deployed? The answer to all these questions is that they are "training" yet when an office such as Finance or Personnel closes for a "training day" it seems to be the end of the world.

yeah but even with their excessive amount of "training days" they still suck at their job, thats the problem.

360BHR
03-20-2013, 11:31 PM
For the most part, Community and Educational Outreach performances have been reduced. Band members still have performances for military ceremonies, funerals & protocol functions. In addition to group rehearsals and individual practice time, band members spend their duty days involved with:
1) PT
2) CBTs
3a) E-5s & up: Writing EPRs, annual/quarterly awards, decs for their troop
3b) E-5s & below: Upgrade Training
4) Preparing for UCIs, SAVs, inspections, etc...
5) Training/preparing for deployment if in the bucket
6) Attending Top-3, JEA, AFSA meetings
7) Going to PHA & other appointments
8) And pretty much anything else that any other Air Force member is expected or required to do since Air Force Bands operate pretty much the same as any other Air Force unit. And it gets done whether they have to perform the same day or not.