PDA

View Full Version : Military Medical Mix Up Leads to Organ Harvest Gone Bad.

MajesticThunder
03-19-2013, 07:25 AM
http://www.stripes.com/news/nc-woman-ids-air-force-airman-who-donated-infected-organs-1.212392

Shockingly authentic public health blunders worthy as a storyline for fictional NCIS television show. :scared

oregonbean
03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
http://www.stripes.com/news/nc-woman-ids-air-force-airman-who-donated-infected-organs-1.212392

Shockingly authentic public health blunders worthy as a storyline for fictional NCIS television show. :scared

The guy was transferred to and died in a civilian hospital, so I'm not sure how that is a military medical mix up.

Testing people for rabies is not routine, and if he wasn't exhibiting symptoms and didn't indicate that he had possibly been exposed, it's unlikely he'd be tested at a civilian hospital. The rarity of human rabies cases in the US means that most medical professionals, military and otherwise, are not even going to think rabies unless someone says they were scratched or bit by an animal.

As for the organ donation--rabies tests are not done(again, because it's very rare in the US to see a person infected), and the incubation period, although normally 1-3 months, can be as short as a week or longer than a year. There are only a few labs in the US that perform human rabies testing, so it's not feasible for organ donation to make that part of routine testing. I think rabies-infected organs were transplanted a few years ago(can't remember if it was the US or somewhere in Europe). Some surgeons will refuse to transplant organs from a person with encephalitis for which no definitive cause is found.

I was discussing this with a few people the other day--I think it's wrong to allow organ donation when someone dies and they cannot pinpoint/rule out a contagious disease. I don't know if recipients are required to acknowledge that they might be receiving an organ that could harbor an infectious disease(I would assume yes). Transplants are risky, even those that have a high survival rate, but I can't say that I wouldn't take the risk if I knew I would die without a transplant. For some people, transplant increases lifespan considerably, but for others, it essentially just gives them a little more time they wouldn't have otherwise.

imported_chipotleboy
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
They probably thought it was lupus.

Shrike
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
They probably thought it was lupus.

http://theboard.byu.edu/media/attached_files/r_106980/its-not-lupus-black-t-shirt.jpg

imported_chipotleboy
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Sarcoidosis? Or maybe we should just treat with interferon and see what happens.

Shrike
03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Sarcoidosis? Or maybe we should just treat with interferon and see what happens.

Broad spectrum antibiotics should do the trick.

Drackore
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Scrubs did an episode of human rabies in organ donations. It's so rare that they can't just test of it. You test for every single thing KNOWN and the costs go up so astronomically high that only Bill Gates and Warren Buffet could afford one organ between them.

garhkal
03-19-2013, 06:23 PM
The guy was transferred to and died in a civilian hospital, so I'm not sure how that is a military medical mix up.

I think the OP was going on about how this story from the civ sector was recently aired on NCIS LA as a comparison to how RL impacts TV..

I was discussing this with a few people the other day--I think it's wrong to allow organ donation when someone dies and they cannot pinpoint/rule out a contagious disease. I don't know if recipients are required to acknowledge that they might be receiving an organ that could harbor an infectious disease(I would assume yes). Transplants are risky, even those that have a high survival rate, but I can't say that I wouldn't take the risk if I knew I would die without a transplant. For some people, transplant increases lifespan considerably, but for others, it essentially just gives them a little more time they wouldn't have otherwise.

True.. 2 of the long time friends of our family back in the UK got liver transplants after ruining theirs with alcohol. 1 was back on the needing a transplant list 5 yrs later cause of his drinking issue.. IMO those types of people should go to the BACK of the wait list.
And as to allowing them to come from someone who Might have died from a disease... 1000% in agreement.

garhkal
03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Now saying all that it does bring up the point.. Some states are looking to try and go to an "Opt out" rather than "Opt in" for people and organ donation, cause there is such a massive backlog in those who are doners.

So who here is supportive of that?

Banned
03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Now saying all that it does bring up the point.. Some states are looking to try and go to an "Opt out" rather than "Opt in" for people and organ donation, cause there is such a massive backlog in those who are doners.

So who here is supportive of that?

Absolutely a great idea. Corpses don't do anybody any good rotting in the ground. If someone has a strong religious/other objection to his organs being used... he should be willing to spend that extra time to opt out of the system. If you oppose being harvested, but can't be bothered to spend 20 minutes on the internet taking your name off the list... then clearly you didn't feel that strongly about it.

RFScott
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
They probably just gave him some Motrin....

imported_chipotleboy
03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Absolutely a great idea. Corpses don't do anybody any good rotting in the ground. If someone has a strong religious/other objection to his organs being used... he should be willing to spend that extra time to opt out of the system. If you oppose being harvested, but can't be bothered to spend 20 minutes on the internet taking your name off the list... then clearly you didn't feel that strongly about it.

We could also encourage motorcycle ownership.