PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here serve in Afghanistan outside of Bagram or Qandahar?

jondstewart
03-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Wanted to see how many served in the "real" Afghanistan in a place where the Army were the majority and the Air Force had to live under their rules and hooah's, LOL.

I served on FOB Mehtarlam in Laghman Province for a year, but also been to Jalalabad airfield, Asadabad, Naray, and Morales-Frazier. Naray was by far the scariest of those places. We had some of our guys assigned to Kamdesh the latter half of our 1 year tour, all of which were Army, and it turned out that place was overrun with Taliban in 2009. Kalagush was the better deal.

I wanted to see Panjshir, Gardez, Ghazni, Qalat, and the like, but never got a chance

BRUWIN
03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
I deployed to Kabul where all the real warfighters went. Everybody else had a gravy train compared to us.

FLAPS
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Which one had a three drink minimum?

TAK is encouraging other MTF members to act against me by selectively misquoting a post I made on his "life thread."

FLAPS
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Which one had a three drink minimum?

TAK is encouraging other MTF members to act against me by selectively misquoting a post I made on his "life thread."

Drackore
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
I've been all over Afghanistan. Pissed in some of the finest dirt that country has to offer. So what?

Shrike
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Wanted to see how many served in the "real" Afghanistan in a place where the Army were the majority and the Air Force had to live under their rules and hooah's, LOL.

You just described Camp Eggers in Kabul when I was there seven years ago. Is that the "real" Afghanistan by your standards?

jshiver15
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I never would have guessed you've served in Afghanistan . . or with the Army . . weird how you've never mentioned it.

Shrike
03-19-2013, 05:18 PM
I never would have guessed you've served in Afghanistan . . or with the Army . . weird how you've never mentioned it.

I'm catching up on older threads and I see that he does seem to mention this quite often.

MilPhD
03-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Bagram was ran by the Army during my stay.

jondstewart
03-20-2013, 04:37 AM
So sorry; I forgot all about Kabul! Some friends of mine that were Air Force served at Camp Eggers or Phoenix and I knew a few that were Army serving at the main airport.

Interesting note: 2 of the people I served with died in a suicide bomb explosion in September of 2008, both of which were Army. It happened near the American Embassy and one of the people was a SFC Meredith Howard, who was the oldest woman to ever die in combat

Shrike
03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
So sorry; I forgot all about Kabul! Some friends of mine that were Air Force served at Camp Eggers or Phoenix and I knew a few that were Army serving at the main airport.

Interesting note: 2 of the people I served with died in a suicide bomb explosion in September of 2008, both of which were Army. It happened near the American Embassy and one of the people was a SFC Meredith Howard, who was the oldest woman to ever die in combatEVER? How the hell did anyone make that determination? Mankind has been warring since before we were cavemen.

TSgt"M"
03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Just googled Meridith Howard, Wowzers, tough gal.

http://jarrarsupariver.blogspot.com/2006/10/remembering-merideth-howard-oldest.html