PDA

View Full Version : Public School Victims

FLAPS
03-16-2013, 01:21 PM
They also didn't teach these in your CCAF CLEPs. Learn the difference between...

Your/You're

There/Their/They're

Its/It's

To/Too

Golther
03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Don't forget Loose/Lose

FLAPS
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Don't forget Loose/Lose

Advice/Advise....I see this a lot too.

akruse
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Moral/morale

efmbman
03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Affect/Effect

Pacific/Specific (mainly observed when hearing one speak, but still...)

FLAPS
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Another...Than/Then

efmbman
03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
I thought of a few more...

Cite / Sight / Site

Complement / Compliment

Breathe / Breath

efmbman
03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Damn double post...

Quixotic
03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Senior NCO/Leader

I see that confusion every day. LOL

Capt Alfredo
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
cache vs. cachet (hint: they aren't pronounced the same)

RFScott
03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
One that used to piss me off on almost a daily basis during my time in the AF (and should be inexcusable for AF members)

hangar vs. hanger

LogDog
03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
I suggest people with these problems buy the book The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. It's costs $12 and it is only 85 pages long but it is crammed with just about everything you need to know to write effectively.

LogDog
03-17-2013, 11:49 PM
They also didn't teach these in your CCAF CLEPs. Learn the difference between...

Your/You're

There/Their/They're

Its/It's

To/Too
When we submitted EPRs, decoration packages, or awards packages we often get it kicked back because they though we misspelled the word material in our career field description. Our career field description was Medical Materiel, not Medical Material.

We'd send it back and explain the word "materiel" means the movement of material and material is an item. It took them awhile but we finally got them to accept which word we used.

FLAPS
03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
I suggest people with these problems buy the book The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. It's costs $12 and it is only 85 pages long but it is crammed with just about everything you need to know to write effectively.

That's a big help, because spell check won't help you in these cases.

JD2780
03-18-2013, 01:24 AM
One that used to piss me off on almost a daily basis during my time in the AF (and should be inexcusable for AF members)

hangar vs. hanger

Although of almost 11 yrs in the AF, I spent 7 on army posts? I do know the difference, but I can see why my collegues would confuse it.

loader67
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I comfort grammar Nazis by patting them on the back while softly saying "There, They're, Their"....

RFScott
03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Although of almost 11 yrs in the AF, I spent 7 on army posts? I do know the difference, but I can see why my collegues would confuse it.

I can see your point, but at the same time it is hard for me to accept people confusing the two when there are usually signs on base that point you in the direction of Hangar A or Hangar B. It wouldn't be too irritating if Amn Snuffy got it mixed up, but when Chiefs or (gulp) aircrew do it.....facepalm.

Shrike
03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
accept/except
for all intents and purposes/for all intensive purposes
lightening/lightning
presently/momentarily (presently means in a moment, momentarily means for a moment)
figuratively/literally (I don't know who started using literally for the exact opposite of what it means but they need to be flogged)

sandsjames
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Is any of this a surprise? With social media as it is, most people don't capitalize (capital is also another often misused word) or use punctuation.

I always love this discussion. I think we've had it several times but I will mention my peeve again anyway:

"I could care less" vs. "I couldn't care less". The latter is proper the vast majority of the time. The former should only be used if you do care, at the least, a little.

SomeRandomGuy
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Is any of this a surprise? With social media as it is, most people don't capitalize (capital is also another often misused word) or use punctuation.

I always love this discussion. I think we've had it several times but I will mention my peeve again anyway:

"I could care less" vs. "I couldn't care less". The latter is proper the vast majority of the time. The former should only be used if you do care, at the least, a little.

Honestly, I could care less what you think about me continually misusing this phrase.

Grammar Police
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Fore, four, for...

Too, two, to...

Should of instead of should have.

sandsjames
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I could care less what you think about me continually misusing this phrase.

That's good to hear. I wish more people could. Maybe it would get used properly.

sandsjames
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
And don't forget the completely proper use of two spaces being used after a period.

RFScott
03-18-2013, 01:18 PM
accept/except
for all intents and purposes/for all intensive purposes
lightening/lightning
presently/momentarily (presently means in a moment, momentarily means for a moment)
figuratively/literally (I don't know who started using literally for the exact opposite of what it means but they need to be flogged)

As a former AF Weather Forecaster, the frequent misuse of these two words within unit SOPs used to drive me up the wall.

Shrike
03-18-2013, 01:21 PM
And don't forget the completely proper use of two spaces being used after a period.

Well played. Countdown to RFD meltdown in 5, 4, 3...

imported_Renazance
03-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Or when people type "I could careless"

Also, when people say "irregardless"

When people put apostrophes on plural words ie hangar's, base's, NCO's :mad:

FLAPS
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
I always disliked the phrase
"either or, half dozen or another"

TAK is encouraging other MTF members to act against me by selectively misquoting a post I made on his "life thread."

LogDog
03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Include the words desert and dessert. A desert is a place with a very low amount of rain while dessert is something at the end of a meal (usually something sweet).

sandsjames
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Include the words desert and dessert. A desert is a place with a very low amount of rain while dessert is something at the end of a meal (usually something sweet).

This is one of the many oddities in the English language. I've never really seen much of an issue but, in general, the two esses in "dessert" would usually equate to a soft "e" sound while the single ess in "desert" would denote a hard "e" sound.

TJMAC77SP
03-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Your/You're

There/Their/They're

Its/It's

To/Too

Curious...........why the reference to CCAF CLEPs?

Aside from the fact that there is no such thing of course.

TJMAC77SP
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Just to add one........

Once heard an O-4 or 5 (can't remember what rank) refer to the Physical Year.

sandsjames
03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Supposably

Jamethon
03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
I was too lazy to look, but what about the "a vs. an?"

I hate when there will be an acronym and the wrong one is used. When someone says "A LOC" instead of "An LOC." If it makes the sound of a vowel then you do it!

As for punctuation, I am a moron.

FLAPS
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Curious...........why the reference to CCAF CLEPs?

Aside from the fact that there is no such thing of course.

I was poking fun at a degree program where you can gain zero additional education beyond what you learned in HS.

FLAPS
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I was too lazy to look, but what about the "a vs. an?"

I hate when there will be an acronym and the wrong one is used. When someone says "A LOC" instead of "An LOC." If it makes the sound of a vowel then you do it!

As for punctuation, I am a moron.

Actually, if it's "a letter of counseling," then it's correct to state " a LOC."

Jamethon
03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Actually, if it's "a letter of counseling," then it's correct to state " a LOC."

If you pronounce it "L-O-C" then it is "an."

imported_chipotleboy
03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
"Same difference"

It's either the same or it's different.

Also, my frau gets upset when people pronounce the "T" in "often".

Jamethon
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
"Same difference"

It's either the same or it's different.

Also, my frau gets upset when people pronounce the "T" in "often".

of·ten [aw-fuhn, of-uhn; awf-tuhn, of-]

You CAN according to dictionary.com...

TJMAC77SP
03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I was poking fun at a degree program where you can gain zero additional education beyond what you learned in HS.

Ah, I see.

Didn't know you could get a CCAF without sitting in a class at all. I certainly had to for my CCAF.

TSgt"M"
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
affect/effect

Shrike
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
affect/effect

See post #5.

JD2780
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Ah, I see.

Didn't know you could get a CCAF without sitting in a class at all. I certainly had to for my CCAF.

Tech school. I get an assoc for infomation systems technology, yet I dont do shit with computers in tech school. The computer skills I do have everybody has, the computer programs I've used arent used in the civilian world. Tech school as part of a degree program. Shady at best

giggawatt
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.

Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blind eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of morale righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and except the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peace of cake.

Sperry1989
03-19-2013, 01:02 PM
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.

Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blind eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of morale righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and except the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peace of cake.

What the heck? Did the RobotChicken hack Giggs account sans emoticons?

tiredretiredE7
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Absolute pure guinness

JD2780
03-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Your dedication is truly amazing. You reflect great credit upon yoursel and the whole MT community.

Rainmaker
03-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Rainmaker never take style tips from Whitey. Nomsayin?

Rainmaker
03-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I love when people ax me a question.

Das Raciss...

Shrike
03-19-2013, 02:14 PM

You just won the internet.

TJMAC77SP
03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech school. I get an assoc for infomation systems technology, yet I dont do shit with computers in tech school. The computer skills I do have everybody has, the computer programs I've used arent used in the civilian world. Tech school as part of a degree program. Shady at best

So you never had to attend any actual college classes? Interesting. I suppose it all depends on your tech school. You can CLEP all the GENED classes so I suppose it’s possible. The SP Academy (I hate calling it SF) certainly doesn't get you that far.

I get a little prickly when people poopoo the CCAF. It isn't something the AF arbitrarily blesses. It is accredited by the same regional organization that accredits brick and mortar schools (Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) such as Alabama State and Auburn.

You can argue the value of an AA or AS and I won’t disagree but a degree is a degree. Whenever I hear these dismissive arguments, particularly with regard to military service I always think back to my first Shift Commander with his degree in Animal Husbandry.

imported_chipotleboy
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Whenever I hear these dismissive arguments, particularly with regard to military service I always think back to my first Shift Commander with his degree in Animal Husbandry.

Classic. BTW, in the State of Ohio, it's against the law for single males to own sheep.

JD2780
03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
So you never had to attend any actual college classes? Interesting. I suppose it all depends on your tech school. You can CLEP all the GENED classes so I suppose it’s possible. The SP Academy (I hate calling it SF) certainly doesn't get you that far.

I get a little prickly when people poopoo the CCAF. It isn't something the AF arbitrarily blesses. It is accredited by the same regional organization that accredits brick and mortar schools (Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) such as Alabama State and Auburn.

You can argue the value of an AA or AS and I won’t disagree but a degree is a degree. Whenever I hear these dismissive arguments, particularly with regard to military service I always think back to my first Shift Commander with his degree in Animal Husbandry.

I agree with your idea about the SP/SF acronym.

TACPs could CLEP all the way through if you were smart enough. I also disagree with my former DO's degree in philosphy. He was a "good idea fairy" How does having a CCAF make me a more efficient leader? It doesnt.

Mr. Squid
03-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Thank you for your patients in this matter.

LogDog
03-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Classic. BTW, in the State of Ohio, it's against the law for single males to own sheep.
You learned that the hard way, eh? LOL

giggawatt
03-20-2013, 06:31 AM
In all seriousness, I literally hate people that use the word literally the wrong way.

RFScott
03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
In all seriousness, I literally hate people that use the word literally the wrong way.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/03/new-xo-attempting-to-stamp-out-misuse-of-word-literally/

BENDER56
03-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Any chance you consulted the Egg Corn Database for that?

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

sandsjames
03-20-2013, 04:31 PM

When I hear that someone has hate for anyone, I literally breathe fire and shoot lasers out of my eyes.