PDA

View Full Version : No Club Membership, No Club Retirement Ceremony

FLAPS
03-16-2013, 01:58 AM
After asking to use a very nice/historical club room for my retirement ceremony I was denied access since I'm not a club member.

I believe the club is considered real property, with utilities paid by the AF (taxpayer), not club dues.

Thoughts?

Robert F. Dorr
03-16-2013, 02:03 AM
After asking to use a very nice/historical club room for my retirement ceremony I was denied access since I'm not a club member.

I believe the club is considered real property, with utilities paid by the AF (taxpayer), not club dues.

Thoughts?

I agree. If you were talking about a private club outside the main gate, it would be different. Technicalities aside, the club is part of a military facility and you should be able to use it as indicated. But just to make this easier, why not ask someone who is a member to make the request?

js7799
03-16-2013, 02:10 AM
I bet Tak made some phone calls before you got there. Maybe paid them off to say no.

RobotChicken
03-16-2013, 03:12 AM

Thoughts?
:spy Just maybe the Veterans with Disabilities did NOT take kindly comments made about a 'Certain' Veteran's son and wanted to see if you 'want to PICK on them 'instead??? I'm sure a 'meeting' can be arranged if you are 'GAME!' PICK on a Child for goodness sake.....I swear.....:smash:closed_2

OtisRNeedleman
03-16-2013, 03:22 AM
I agree. If you were talking about a private club outside the main gate, it would be different. Technicalities aside, the club is part of a military facility and you should be able to use it as indicated. But just to make this easier, why not ask someone who is a member to make the request? Sounds like a good idea to me.

FLAPS
03-16-2013, 03:22 AM
:spy Just maybe the Veterans with Disabilities did NOT take kindly comments made about a 'Certain' Veteran's son and wanted to see if you 'want to PICK on them 'instead??? I'm sure a 'meeting' can be arranged if you are 'GAME!' PICK on a Child for goodness sake.....I swear.....:smash:closed_2

Give me a break. I was not picking on his kid, but rather giving him an example of something far more important to focus on than waging some stupid rep war on me. How convenient of you to ignore his unprovoked attacks on me long before I mentioned his son, whom by his own admission was out of control. Get real.

RobotChicken
03-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Give me a break. I was not picking on his kid, but rather giving him an example of something far more important to focus on than waging some stupid rep war on me. How convenient of you to ignore his unprovoked attacks on me long before I mentioned his son, whom by his own admission was out of control. Get real.
:phone I will NOT get 'baited' into a 'PISSING' contest with ANYONE on ANY forum on the 'net' over any-fucking thing!! But you SIR..need to Apologize for that remark in the 'heat of battle' and make amends Please! Now the 'ball' is in YOUR Court SIR!! :playball

technomage1
03-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Gotta side with the club on this one. If you're not a member they don't have to let you use the facility. AFI 34-272 is the governing AFI. Also, members can't make reservations for non members like Mr. Dorr suggested.

You want to use it, pony up for the membership fees. People always wonder what the benefits of club membership are, well, this is one of them.

Clubs are NAF and that's a whole other ball game funding and rules wise.

Drackore
03-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Measure Man
03-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Thoughts?

I agree with the club.

No doubt you've been "encouraged" over the years to support your club...that without the support it could go away.

...and you probably said something like "F that...I don't need that club...what's in it for me...screw those guys"

So...have your retirement somewhere else

Thank you for your service.

FLAPS
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
No doubt you've been "encouraged" over the years to support your club...that without the support it could go away.

...and you probably said something like "F that...I don't need that club...what's in it for me...screw those guys"

I was a club member for 9 years over the last 13, just not recently. Surely that qualifies me to use the one of many rooms they have for an hour, or at least I think so. The point is, the club DOES NOT pay their own electric bill, the AF does.

Thanks for your input though. There are other places to do a ceremony, so I'll live...

imported_KnuckleDragger
03-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Even if you can reserve the WPAFB Club. You are forced to cater through them if you have food.:twitch

Big bucks!

SENDBILLMONEY
03-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Thoughts?

I'm okay with the denial. Congratulations on your retirement.

technomage1
03-17-2013, 11:19 AM
I was a club member for 9 years over the last 13, just not recently. Surely that qualifies me to use the one of many rooms they have for an hour, or at least I think so. The point is, the club DOES NOT pay their own electric bill, the AF does.

Thanks for your input though. There are other places to do a ceremony, so I'll live...

The wing commander doesn't pay the electric bill for his quarters. Nor do the bases post office, fast food joints, or bank branches. Yet every single one of those would be within their rights to refuse if you wanted to hold your ceremony there.

The club is doing nothing wrong.

KellyinAvon
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
A couple options if "The Club" gives you "the boot":
You work at a HQs? No shortage of conference rooms at an HQ. In 4 years at Langley I attended more retirement ceremonies in the A5 conference room than at the club.
The great outdoors? 22 May 07 would have seen thunderstorms if I'd have gone the Airpower Park route, I had mine in the Commanders Room at the Langley O-Club (E-Club had been under renovation forever). I also saw retirement ceremonies under the B-52 static display and by the F-4C across the street.

tiredofpc
03-18-2013, 12:27 PM
A couple options if "The Club" gives you "the boot":
You work at a HQs? No shortage of conference rooms at an HQ. In 4 years at Langley I attended more retirement ceremonies in the A5 conference room than at the club.
The great outdoors? 22 May 07 would have seen thunderstorms if I'd have gone the Airpower Park route, I had mine in the Commanders Room at the Langley O-Club (E-Club had been under renovation forever). I also saw retirement ceremonies under the B-52 static display and by the F-4C across the street.

Ok, so I'm Army and my "retirement" consisted of having someone with pull send me my records and my flag.....yep, the USAR really knows how to do a retirement ceremony for those who live more than 700 miles from their home unit....but that's another story.
Personally? If I'd have been given the opportunity to retire under the wings/in the shadow of an F-4 or a B-52, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.....great planes, great people who flew and maintained them.
As for the "club?" I declined membership over a decade ago at my only local O-Club when I was told I had to open up a Master Card arrangement to be able to join, so that my dues could be paid automatically. BS on that one!
Congratulations on your retirement!

imported_chipotleboy
03-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Gotta side with the club on this one. If you're not a member they don't have to let you use the facility. AFI 34-272 is the governing AFI. Also, members can't make reservations for non members like Mr. Dorr suggested.

You want to use it, pony up for the membership fees. People always wonder what the benefits of club membership are, well, this is one of them.

Clubs are NAF and that's a whole other ball game funding and rules wise.

The loophole would be if the presiding officer or retirement ceremony project officer is a club member and makes the reservation. Then it becomes an official function that FLAPS could attend as a nonmember.

I held my "ceremony" at The Olive Garden in a hawaiian shirt, bermuda shorts, and sandals. By then, I was long past PT and haircut standards. Food was better than at the club.