PDA

View Full Version : USS Ted Stevens? Are you nuts!?

Quixotic
03-15-2013, 04:58 AM
So some legislators want to name the next aircraft carrier after a CONVICTED FELON!?

Gee, I wonder if they are from Alaska by any chance.

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2013/03/navy-uss-ted-stevens-031413w

Unfortunately, the article completely fails to mention anything of the controversy around this guy.

The ‘King of Pork’ is what they call this guy – Alaskans call him ‘Uncle Ted’ because of all the pork barrel spending he brought to Alaska. Does the ‘Bridge to Nowhere’ sound familiar to anyone? Yea, that’s this guy.

After six decades as a Senator, yea, I am sure he had nothing to do with our current fiscal problems.

Convicted felon by the way, sure it was over turned on a procedural technicality, the technicality being that he was a Senator, but still convicted, on several counts.

In case you forgot, this is the guy who had oil company executives in his house paying contractors six figures to remodel it for him. Criminal for the rest of us, but apparently its not even unethical if you are a Senator.

No ship in the U.S. Navy deserves the disgrace of being named after this shyster.

Besides, from what I hear, Alaskans have already been falling over themselves to name mountains, glaciers, air ports, building and who knows what else after him.

I gotta go find out who these legislators are, who ever answers the phone is going to get an ear full.

RobotChicken
03-15-2013, 05:21 AM
:spy Hate to be the 'chicken that came to ROOST,' but last I read Mr. Change has it 'ON' again slid under some other obscure bill,probably some thing to get more Eskimo votes since VETS are a no-go! A CVN-Flight Deck to NOWHERE WITH F-35C's...:plane:tape2:lol:lol:lol:lol

Quixotic
03-15-2013, 05:24 AM
Flight Deck to Nowhere!

HA! I love it!

RobotChicken
03-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Sorry folks, just..too..much..to ..hold..backkkk....backkkk....:focus

RobotChicken
03-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Flight Deck to Nowhere!

HA! I love it!

:clock Have to 'stand fast' with my 'Zoomie' friends...:plane

JD2780
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Yet AK is one of the best states out of all 50. Fiscally it always has a surplus!!

Quixotic
03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Yet AK is one of the best states out of all 50. Fiscally it always has a surplus!!

Yes, big oil tax profits guaranteed by bought and paid for Senators tends to have that effect.

The guys a crook!

JD2780
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes, big oil tax profits guaranteed by bought and paid for Senators tends to have that effect.

The guys a crook!

So they still have a surplus. Plus I've never heard of an Alaskan complain about Alaska or the state government of Alaska.

Quixotic
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
So they still have a surplus. Plus I've never heard of an Alaskan complain about Alaska or the state government of Alaska.

Don't know if they have a surplus or not, but that's not the point, the guys a crook!

JD2780
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Almost all politicians are crooks. Why arent people all bent out of shape about all the other ships. JFK had some shady dealings as well. Alleged adulterer.

Quixotic
03-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Yea but he was tagging Marylyn Monroe! That's different!

Ok, all joking aside.

If I remember right, JFK isn't a convicted felon. And even if there is a U.S. Navy ship out there named after a convicted felon, it doesn't mean it should happen again.

ex prosup
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
There is a reason Alaska has a fiscal surplus...the state is on welfare, the rest of the country is paying the bill to the tune of $15K per person. Get off the goverment tit Alaska!

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hawaii-alaska-states-get-most-federal-money-953733

ex prosup
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM

There is a reason Alaska always has a surplus, the state is on welfare to the tune of $15K per person that the rest of the country is paying. Get off the goverment tit Alaska!

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hawaii-alaska-states-get-most-federal-money-953733

garhkal
03-15-2013, 06:12 PM
True.. JFK may have been considered by many an adulterer, but was never convicted.. Kennedy was.

Quixotic
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I got my first ship assignment, the USS Ted Stevens. He was a Senator, and a convicted felon. Everyone tries to ignore that last part but it keeps coming up, like a bugger that you just can't seem to flick off your finger..

SeaLawyer
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
It's such a disservice when ships get named after political figureheads that get more out of our country than they put into it. We need more ships named after servicemembers that made REAL sacrifices such as: died in combat etc. On a side note, Quixotic, things could be worse... At least you don't have orders in hand for the USS Nancy Pelosi!

Chief Bosun
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I never was sure how the military comes up with names for ships.

At least Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, and Jack Kennedy did go in harm's way as a part of their service; ditto for the late John Murtha, who was the center of a minor controversy when the idea of naming a ship after him was floated.

Perhaps the criteria for naming ships should be revisited.

garhkal
03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
It's such a disservice when ships get named after political figureheads that get more out of our country than they put into it. We need more ships named after servicemembers that made REAL sacrifices such as: died in combat etc. On a side note, Quixotic, things could be worse... At least you don't have orders in hand for the USS Nancy Pelosi!

If i ever got orders there i would scuttle a ship named after her/

RobotChicken
03-18-2013, 08:14 PM
If i ever got orders there i would scuttle a ship named after her/
:spy WAIT! They would recall 'Capt Holly Graf back to AD and make her the Captain! (Bligh that is) PC at it's Finest! :clock

Quixotic
03-19-2013, 04:17 AM
I never was sure how the military comes up with names for ships.

At least Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, and Jack Kennedy did go in harm's way as a part of their service; ditto for the late John Murtha, who was the center of a minor controversy when the idea of naming a ship after him was floated.

Perhaps the criteria for naming ships should be revisited.

It's a very political process when it comes to aircraft carriers I'm sure. And while those Presidents did serve, they got the Carriers named after themselves because of their political careers.

If it were up to me, I'd love to see a round of new Carriers with names like Lexington, Yorktown, Hornet, Enterprise, and so on.

If I were President, I would make it so.

Quixotic
03-19-2013, 04:18 AM
At least you don't have orders in hand for the USS Nancy Pelosi!

There might be a dilapidated row boat with holes in it somewhere in the Navy worth her name.

Pullinteeth
03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
So some legislators want to name the next aircraft carrier after a CONVICTED FELON!?

I gotta go find out who these legislators are, who ever answers the phone is going to get an ear full.

Are you saying that one is enough? After all the namesake of CVN-68 was convicted by courts martial which would make him a felon as wel...

You can look it up, he was convicted under Article 110 which has a max imprisonment of 2 years-for a UCMJ conviction to be classified as a felony, the max punishment has to be over a year...

Quixotic
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Are you saying that one is enough?

What in my post would make you think that?

He got a letter of reprimand for hitting a mud bank, which is hardly in tune with what this crook did.

Furthermore, see my other comment about if there are any, there shouldn't be anymore.

Robert F. Dorr
03-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Almost all politicians are crooks. Why arent people all bent out of shape about all the other ships. JFK had some shady dealings as well. Alleged adulterer.

Alleged? You think?

RobotChicken
03-20-2013, 02:13 AM
:sad Stood in line to pay last respects at his grave for hours after he was buried. If you were not there you have NO idea what that was like. :focus