PDA

View Full Version : Elmendorf, One Happy Family?

jondstewart
03-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Not!

My last assignment was there and I retired there. Loved my job and Alaska in general, but the squadron and base in general was NOT a close family!

Traditionally, being based overseas, which Alaska technically is, means the military folks are more closely knit. The whole time in my squadron, I never saw any such thing. Upper leadership was all about itself and making itself look good. And the Brigadier General that was our base commander committed suicide about 2008. Go figure.

And a place like Alaska needs it! Winter months can be torture, not so much because of the cold, but having only 4-5 hours of daylight in the wintertime can make a person lose it.

I kept up with my troops in the dorms as I could, but interestingly enough, most of the dorm rats never got out all that much. Plus a list of repressive rules to deal with, i.e., no alcohol, quiet hours 24/7

RobotChicken
03-14-2013, 04:06 AM
Gen Tinsley was trying to build up the base for Real Maintenance airmen,guess the hangers went to 'mid east secret bases' with air conditioning.

Robert F. Dorr
03-14-2013, 07:44 AM
In visits to Elmendorf, I saw extremes: people who loved it; people who hated it. Base looks too big, too complex and too close to the city to be a natural environment for a lot of cohesion.

JD2780
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Never heard of a single person that disliked it.

VFFTSGT
03-14-2013, 05:46 PM
I think it's PACAF in general, very dysfunctional.

Capt Alfredo
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Elmendorf is hit and miss. If you are a lover of urban culture and sophistication, you are going to hate it; if you love the outdoors and natural beauty, you are going to love it. Alaska is definitely a different world.

Robert F. Dorr
03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Elmendorf is hit and miss. If you are a lover of urban culture and sophistication, you are going to hate it; if you love the outdoors and natural beauty, you are going to love it. Alaska is definitely a different world.

Enjoyed about half a dozen visits there a decade ago, including a back-seat flight in an F-15E Strike Eagle of the 90th Fighter Squadron. In Anchorage, I saw many of the corporate names that have blighted our landscape and stolen its individuality (Home Depot, McDonald's) but I also saw a lot more individually owned and operated retail outlets than you'll find in most cities. After three years in Stockholm, I've had my fill of dark northern winter nights so I think I'll stick with the Lower Forty-Eight at this point.

Robert F. Dorr
03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
I think it's PACAF in general, very dysfunctional.

Guess who deserves the credit for that. The answer is pretty obvious although it might be more appropriate on the Kunsan thread than the Elmendorf thread.

sandsjames
03-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Guess who deserves the credit for that. The answer is pretty obvious although it might be more appropriate on the Kunsan thread than the Elmendorf thread.

Bush???...

Capt Alfredo
03-15-2013, 01:03 AM

Were I Willspowers, I would blame Gary North.

jondstewart
03-17-2013, 10:51 PM
I might add: until I retired from the Air Force, I thought I had seen a lot of Alaska and knew a lot about it, but turns out I didn't know jack. I had only been to places that you could drive from Anchorage, mainly Seward and Fairbanks. Now since retirement, I've been to The North Slope, Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Galena, McGrath, Fort Yukon, and radar sites named Tin City, Cape Lisburne, and Tatalina. THAT is the real Alaska! Anchorage is a very sophisticated uptown metropolis compared to those towns.

Like I said, I love Alaska and glad I stayed here, just hated the apathetic and impersonal leadership

Robert F. Dorr
03-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Were I Willspowers, I would blame Gary North.

Say, what's he been doing since he packed it in?