PDA

View Full Version : Chaplain told victim rape ‘was God’s will’

SeaLawyer
03-13-2013, 06:26 PM
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2013/03/military-chaplain-told-victim-rape-was-gods-will-031313w/

Perhaps we can send the accused Chaplain off to a Turkish prison where unthinkable like-incidents may happen to him--and then tell him: "It was God's will."

Of course, there are always two sides to every story and I certainly see some potential gaps in this one.

sandsjames
03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2013/03/military-chaplain-told-victim-rape-was-gods-will-031313w/

Perhaps we can send the accused Chaplain off to a Turkish prison where unthinkable like-incidents may happen to him--and then tell him: "It was God's will."

Of course, there are always two sides to every story and I certainly see some potential gaps in this one.

"Gap" in the story is definitely one way of putting it. I see 3 possibilities:

1. Events happened exactly as she claims. If this is the case, the Chaplain should lose his job.

2. The rape happened, but what the Chaplain said was exaggerated. More likely, he mentioned that getting back to church might help her work through some issues.

3. There was no rape. She needed a cover story once the pictures came out. Not naming the Chaplain seems a little suspect to me. Claiming he said something and not giving him a chance to defend himself.

RobotChicken
03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Now he had some 'coins' in his pocket to get outta that! Time for 'firing squads' to get some practice; I'll buy the 'rounds'(bullets Bob) I thought in WAR that was one big NO-NO!! Times have changed! Wait!! There is that WORD AGAIN!!

Rizzo77
03-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Uummm....

"She finally reported it after a friend told her the accused rapist had posted photographs of her, taken during the rape, on the Internet."

It is freaking horrific that rape victims pose for photographs while being raped.

USN - Retired
03-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Uummm....

"She finally reported it after a friend told her the accused rapist had posted photographs of her, taken during the rape, on the Internet."

It is freaking horrific that rape victims pose for photographs while being raped.

Who took the photographs? Did the alleged rapist take the photographs while he was raping her?

Chief Bosun
03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, there are some issues regarding the story, but let's go on the premise for the moment that the alleged victim is being completely honest regarding the incident.

If so, do we really need a chaplin (or anyone else) that thinks if someone commits a criminal act against your person or your property that it is the will of God and you should simply shut your piehole and suffer?

SeaLawyer
03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Who took the photographs? Did the alleged rapist take the photographs while he was raping her?

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the photos. Like I said, there are a lot of potential gaps that aren't addressed yet. He must have been one strong Chaplain to subdue her while taking photos. No scream for help is mentioned either--although that doesn't mean to say she didn't.

Chief Bosun brings up a good point too: What if she is truly being completely honest? We may never know the whole truth. At the very least, this Chaplain was married warranting himself unworthy of his position/title and conduct unbecoming an officer.

sandsjames
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the photos. Like I said, there are a lot of potential gaps that aren't addressed yet. He must have been one strong Chaplain to subdue her while taking photos. No scream for help is mentioned either--although that doesn't mean to say she didn't.

Chief Bosun brings up a good point too: What if she is truly being completely honest? We may never know the whole truth. At the very least, this Chaplain was married warranting himself unworthy of his position/title and conduct unbecoming an officer.

Did I misread something? She's not accusing the Chaplain of raping her. She's accusing the Chaplain (unnamed) of telling her it was Gods will that she was raped (when she went to him for counseling). I think...

JD2780
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Did I misread something? She's not accusing the Chaplain of raping her. She's accusing the Chaplain (unnamed) of telling her it was Gods will that she was raped (when she went to him for counseling). I think...

Yea it started getting confusing at one point.

The Chaplin wasnt the rapist, but was the one that allegedly said it was Gods will. If a rape did ocurr, its a shame and the individual will rot in hell. While she may have been betrayed she may not have been raped. We'll never know.

Pullinteeth
03-14-2013, 12:48 PM
I doubt that was what he said. More than likely, he said something along the lines of "god has a plan and maybe this horrific act happened so you would come back to the fold" or something like that. Probably didn't say, "God loves him some rape so he sent a rapist to you to force you back to church"... One seems like trying to rationalize a horrible thing-something a chaplain might indeed do-though probably better than I did-the other, sounds like some made up garbage to get more press for her case.

AJBIGJ
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm just curious why this falls under "Navy", I guess Air Force is overdone these days? (God forbid we feature it under Army, the service all individuals belonged to?)

Pullinteeth
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm just curious why this falls under "Navy", I guess Air Force is overdone these days? (God forbid we feature it under Army, the service all individuals belonged to?)

The OP pulled the article from the Navy times....or...because it involves semen?:bathbaby

AJBIGJ
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
The OP pulled the article from the Navy times....or...because it involves semen?:bathbaby

You're quite right, MT itself is to blame for trying to turn the Navy Forums into the Air Force Forums!

F4CrewChick
03-14-2013, 03:41 PM

Of course, there are always two sides to every story and I certainly see some potential gaps in this one.Like what 'potential gaps?' The article wasn't an editorial piece--it was journalism--reporting the news. If you are JAG corps, you must have some personal experience with the problems inherent in the antiquated UCMJ and the clearly broken military legal system. It's kind of a surprise the Navy doesn't hang people by yardarms anymore, given the outdated legal reasoning in military legal code.

Have you seen Kirby Dick's Oscar-nominated film "The Invisible War?" Two days after viewing this film SecDef Panetta changed CoC report and charging procedures based on the obvious (and still present) inequities in a severely broken model of "justice."

http://youtu.be/3fBaFQk6aE0

Pullinteeth
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
She made the national news....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/military-sexual-assault/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

SeaLawyer
03-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Good catch sandsjames! After reading what you said, I went back to the article. It's written in a context that can easily be mis-leading as to who did what. Either way, the Chaplain needs to be violated under Gods will!

Shrike
03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Good catch sandsjames! After reading what you said, I went back to the article. It's written in a context that can easily be mis-leading as to who did what. Either way, the Chaplain needs to be violated under Gods will!

The god of the Bible doesn't have much of a problem with rape. (http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm)

sandsjames
03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
The god of the Bible doesn't have much of a problem with rape. (http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm)

Just to clarify, all of those verses quote what MEN said to their people, not what GOD said. There is no doubt that, throughout history, men have used the "will of God" as a weapon to do what they choose, no matter how immoral the act is.

(Preface by saying I don't speak for everyone and the following is my interpretation) Thankfully, with the emergence of Christianity, it was made clear that this type of thing was NOT acceptable and that those who were living under this guise were not doing the will of God.

Banned
03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
This stuff wouldn't happen if we would just follow the Bible:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576889_534810933238291_397029911_n.jpg

Shrike
03-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Just to clarify, all of those verses quote what MEN said to their people, not what GOD said. There is no doubt that, throughout history, men have used the "will of God" as a weapon to do what they choose, no matter how immoral the act is.

(Preface by saying I don't speak for everyone and the following is my interpretation) Thankfully, with the emergence of Christianity, it was made clear that this type of thing was NOT acceptable and that those who were living under this guise were not doing the will of God.

That's a good point. But unfortunately ALL of the Bible is what men claim god said.

sandsjames
03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
That's a good point. But unfortunately ALL of the Bible is what men claim god said.

True. And that's why all I can do is live my life to my best interpretation, not what others tell me something means. I think this is true for anything, including all religions, the Constitution, laws, etc. Of course I can manipulate any of it to fit my personal needs, but ultimately, with all interpretations, I can only hope that the intent of my actions is the same as the intent of the original content.

Banned
03-20-2013, 05:57 PM
What was the intent of the original content?

Let's also note that the Bible is not the "original content". The original content was repeated, translated, and re-written countless times throughout the millenia... and much of that was discarded at Nicaea.

sandsjames
03-20-2013, 06:09 PM
What was the intent of the original content? Did you even read what I said? I said my "interpretation" of what I believe the intent is.

Let's also note that the Bible is not the "original content". The original content was repeated, translated, and re-written countless times throughout the millenia... and much of that was discarded at Nicaea.Really? No shit? Next thing you're going to do is tell me there's no Easter Bunny and that pro wrestling is fake.

Shrike
03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
True. And that's why all I can do is live my life to my best interpretation, not what others tell me something means. I think this is true for anything, including all religions, the Constitution, laws, etc. Of course I can manipulate any of it to fit my personal needs, but ultimately, with all interpretations, I can only hope that the intent of my actions is the same as the intent of the original content.
It seems to me that your interpretation is a very positive one in your life and is one of tolerance and respect of others whose beliefs may not be in line with yours. I just wish others were the same; instead, we get too much hatred from what should be a positive force in the world.

MACHINE666
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
This stuff wouldn't happen if we would just follow the Bible:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576889_534810933238291_397029911_n.jpg

But dicks fuck pussies and assholes....haven't you seen Team America to understand their vital role in the world today?!?

:D :D :D :D :D

sandsjames
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
It seems to me that your interpretation is a very positive one in your life and is one of tolerance and respect of others whose beliefs may not be in line with yours. I just wish others were the same; instead, we get too much hatred from what should be a positive force in the world.

It's a two way street as well. I think if Christians didn't come across as hateful, they would get more respect. I also feel that if they were given more respect, they wouldn't come across as hateful. It's like a person getting called out in front of a group of peers. That usually leads to the person getting defensive. Once one get's defensive they tend to throw logic out the window and, in doing so, become even more of what they are being accused of being.

Banned
03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
But dicks fuck pussies and assholes....haven't you seen Team America to understand their vital role in the world today?!?

:D :D :D :D :D

This is true... otherwise the asshole would shit all over your dick AND your pussy.

abache
03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Hate to say it but military religion is pretty biased. Chaplains pray a military prayer not mentioning the word JESUS as to not offend anyone. My chaplain even told me I would be looked upon in favor (maybe) because I served in the military. Of course we all know God is no respector of persons right?

This chaplain should be very much ashamed of themselves. They were putting the militarys needs ahead of the girl's needs.