PDA

View Full Version : New assignment--- Hill AFB

chevyman1234
03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Just finished up my retraining and got my new asignment shortly there after. But I was wondering if anyone here has been to Hill, and if so what was YOUR impression of the base as a whole? Also how were the surrounding communities?
Been doin a little research here and there but I dont really know a lot about the area in general. Any fun things to do, or things/places to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

JD2780
03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
You're lucky!!! My wife and I wanted to go there. SLC is a great place. Yes its basically Mormon mecca, but they're nice folks and they dont chase you down trying to get you to convert. I've got many friends that have been up there and loved every second of it. Skiiing, snowboarding, hiking, hunting, vegas is a 6 hr drive south, disneyland is 10-12 hr drive south. The communities are clean. The only warning I have is change your license plate when you get there. UHP isnt a fan of out of staters. I havent been pulled over, but many folks have.

I loved going there TDY and seriously hoped my wife would get orders there, but we got Eglin. We arent complaining about Eglin thats for sure.

chevyman1234
03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Don't date Jodi Arias.

I am rolling right now!!! That just made my day!!!!

AFRet05
03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
I was stationed there from '95-'99 and really enjoyed it. You should be aware that you will be on an AFMC base with a large civilian population. The housing wasn't bad (I was fortunate to get some of the new housing shortly after it was built). I'm not sure where you've been but you will be living at a higher altitude (4787 ft) and it's considered "high desert". A humid day is about 25-30% humidity. If you aren't careful your skin can dry out real easy (I had problems with my hands drying out). If you are in an area that has "snow days" for the local schools, your kids will be in for a surprise as they don't call those (or at least didn't while I was there) unless there is about 8" of snow. You'll be about 20 minutes from the Great Salt Lake and the same from the mountains (lots of hiking trails). Salt Lake City is about 30-35 minutes south of you, and Ogden is about 20 minutes north. Ogden has really grown and reinvigorated itself over the past 10 years.

We liked the assignment enough that we considered moving back there after I retired.

71Fish
03-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Are you going to the 388 FW or 75 ABW (or somewhere else)? Completely different worlds.
SLC and the surrounding area have everything any large city has, as well as lots of rural outdoor stuff to do.

The LDS isn't as bad as people who have never lived in UT say, but some of the state laws have LDS influence. Also, their beer and liquor laws aren't any different than states like MN/LA/PA and others, it's just the LDS thing that makes it more weird.

chevyman1234
03-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Are you going to the 388 FW or 75 ABW (or somewhere else)? Completely different worlds.
SLC and the surrounding area have everything any large city has, as well as lots of rural outdoor stuff to do.

The LDS isn't as bad as people who have never lived in UT say, but some of the state laws have LDS influence. Also, their beer and liquor laws aren't any different than states like MN/LA/PA and others, it's just the LDS thing that makes it more weird.

Ill be going to the 388th working on F-16's. Im lookin forward to all the outdoors activities i've been reading about.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
You're lucky!!! My wife and I wanted to go there. SLC is a great place. Yes its basically Mormon mecca, but they're nice folks and they dont chase you down trying to get you to convert. I've got many friends that have been up there and loved every second of it. Skiiing, snowboarding, hiking, hunting, vegas is a 6 hr drive south, disneyland is 10-12 hr drive south. The communities are clean. The only warning I have is change your license plate when you get there. UHP isnt a fan of out of staters. I havent been pulled over, but many folks have.

I loved going there TDY and seriously hoped my wife would get orders there, but we got Eglin. We arent complaining about Eglin thats for sure.

You at Eglin yet?

sandsjames
03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I can only speak from experience of a 7 day TDY, but I gained such a like of the area that I tried several times to get there.

The guy and I who were there had a day off and wanted to go fishing. We went to Walmart to pick up a couple rods and some tackle. The lady asked us where were were going and we said we weren't sure yet. She recommended Bear Lake (a pretty good drive but well worth it). Then she told us that once we got back, just bring the poles back to the counter and she would give us a refund. After that, she called he boyfriend/husband and told him she was sending a us his way. When we got to the house, he opened his freezer and gave us, estimate only, $300 of frozen bait. He rigged up our reels with the best way to fish for Bear Lake, then told us the best spot to go to.

What an awesome trip. Maybe somebody has an example like this, but I can't imagine meeting friendlier people anywhere.

Another day we did some hiking. A place not too far from the base. Hiked up to some waterfall. Pretty good hike (and a bit embarrassing having little kids running up the hill past me as I'm gasping for breath).

Anyway, I've only seen the place for 7 days and loved it. Then again, I wasn't working there so I can't really comment much about the base.

JD2780
03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
You at Eglin yet?

Yea since Oct. Enjoying it, got the fishing license, being a stay at home dad while going to the fire academy. Not a bad life.

71Fish
03-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Yea since Oct. Enjoying it, got the fishing license, being a stay at home dad while going to the fire academy. Not a bad life.

I went to the fire fighter school there. At the time it was ran by the Crestview Chief. He's probably retired now, that was about 1992. Got an assignment to Germany so left my firefighting dream in the panhandle.

JD2780
03-14-2013, 01:27 AM
I went to the fire fighter school there. At the time it was ran by the Crestview Chief. He's probably retired now, that was about 1992. Got an assignment to Germany so left my firefighting dream in the panhandle.

Now they have them in Ocala (Florida Fire College) Midway Fire Academy in Gulf Breeze, and Northwest Florida State College (OW). Midway is 6 months long versus 3 months like the others.

AF Comm Guy
03-14-2013, 01:50 AM
I've been here 4 years now and love it. This is definitely the best CONUS assignment I've had and is probably just about the best anyone could hope for. If you're into outdoors activities then this place is definitely for you. I like being outside except during winter. That part gets a little rough on me but that's because I'm old. I also spend my spare time yelling at the neighbor kids to stay off my lawn.

388th is a good unit, especially with the current wing commander. He came in and really straightened things up which were a total disaster under previous commanders.

The local area is pretty good though a tad "vanilla" if you're looking for excitement. Even the rough neighborhoods here aren't that bad compared to half the places I've seen elsewhere. I live pretty close to the base so the commute is quick and easy. Do you plan to live on base or off? Rent here sucks but that's the case in any military town because they know exactly what you make.

I'll post any further things I can think of later. I have to do it from work because this site isn't working right on our computers at work. I'm not sure what happened but about two weeks ago things just slowed down and now it takes three minutes for any Military Times pages to load up. It's like the site has been severely throttled or something. Anyone else having this problem?

js7799
03-14-2013, 02:45 AM
I was there from 96-00 and loved it. I wish I had chosen Hill again instead of ending up at Robins, where I am now. As was previously stated, the outdoors opportunities are endless. You have several ski resorts within a 45 minute drive. It's a great place to raise kids. The crime isn't bad. One bad thing is the 'Mormon 500', which is the twice-daily race of civilians going to and from work. Stay away from the gates at 0730 and 1600. There's a ton to do and see. That area is on my short list of places to retire.

BRUWIN
03-14-2013, 02:57 AM
When I was a maintenance troop we'd get F-16 guys from Hill that would come to my base TDY. I would get drunk and kick their ass.

71Fish
03-14-2013, 03:05 AM
I've been here 4 years now and love it. This is definitely the best CONUS assignment I've had and is probably just about the best anyone could hope for. If you're into outdoors activities then this place is definitely for you. I like being outside except during winter. That part gets a little rough on me but that's because I'm old. I also spend my spare time yelling at the neighbor kids to stay off my lawn.

388th is a good unit, especially with the current wing commander. He came in and really straightened things up which were a total disaster under previous commanders.

The local area is pretty good though a tad "vanilla" if you're looking for excitement. Even the rough neighborhoods here aren't that bad compared to half the places I've seen elsewhere. I live pretty close to the base so the commute is quick and easy. Do you plan to live on base or off? Rent here sucks but that's the case in any military town because they know exactly what you make.

I'll post any further things I can think of later. I have to do it from work because this site isn't working right on our computers at work. I'm not sure what happened but about two weeks ago things just slowed down and now it takes three minutes for any Military Times pages to load up. It's like the site has been severely throttled or something. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the current wing cc. I won't say his name here but I found him to be a condescending prick. If you ever sat through his stand up meetings, you'll know what I mean. He'll be PCSing soon anyway so it doesn't matter.

Airborne
03-14-2013, 04:49 AM
...UHP isnt a fan of out of staters.

....or black people.

oregonbean
03-14-2013, 09:35 AM
I was there from 1998-2000, so I can't really speak to the atmosphere on base now. But, I liked it--plenty of outdoor activities, from skiing to hiking, rafting, etc. . . The traffic could be pretty bad getting on/off base when I was there--very large civilian workforce. Definitely do a lot of research on the towns/neighborhoods you are considering if you will live off base--some of them may be convenient to the base, but are not necessarily safe!

If you drink beer, there are some great breweries--Wasatch, Roosters, Squatters, Izzy's, and I'm sure others that have opened since I left. If you enjoy baseball or hockey, there are great minor league/independent teams--loved going to Salt Lake Buzz and Ogden Raptor baseball games and Utah Grizzlies hockey games.

One thing to be aware of--the air quality can be absolutely horrible! The Great Salt Lake stinks, and if there is an inversion layer, the air is very unhealthy. At times it was so bad that I could barely see the Wasatch mountains from my apartment.

If we got another assignment there, we would not be upset--like most places, it's what you make of it. It's nice to have a decent airport there as well--pretty easy to fly direct to almost anywhere in the US from SLC.

I hope you enjoy your assignment there!

FLAPS
03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
I've heard great things about Hill, except when it comes to getting off-base civilian employment. I've been told that unless you're Mormon, count on blatant, if not passive discrimination. Anyone experience this?

Robert F. Dorr
03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
When I was a maintenance troop we'd get F-16 guys from Hill that would come to my base TDY. I would get drunk and kick their ass.

Maybe that's happening at Kunsan right now.

JD2780
03-14-2013, 10:56 AM
....or black people.

DWB? Did they get you?

AF Comm Guy
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the current wing cc. I won't say his name here but I found him to be a condescending prick. If you ever sat through his stand up meetings, you'll know what I mean. He'll be PCSing soon anyway so it doesn't matter.

The current one definitely isn't warm and fuzzy but that's fine with me. Gen Zobrist was very warm and fuzzy and as a result, shit never got done. The current CC came in and started cracking skulls on day one. He kind of had to since he inherited a wing with an ORI failure and a loss of global readiness status. This guy gets shit done and isn't afraid to literally slam the door on group commanders who show up late to his meetings. Pretty soon he's going to move on and take Zobrist's place again. I guess he's the designated clean up guy for Zobe's messes.

71Fish
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
I've heard great things about Hill, except when it comes to getting off-base civilian employment. I've been told that unless you're Mormon, count on blatant, if not passive discrimination. Anyone experience this?

It may happen in smaller towns, but along the Wasatch Front it would be rare from Ogden to SLC. UT is a haven for big business, especially technology so it wouldn't be possible to hire only LDS. Not saying it never happens. Nothings stops someone notifying a member of their ward about a job, but it's illegal to ask about religion at an interview, but that there are questions an interviewer could ask that hint at your religious affiliation.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Wonder if I've bumped into you on base and just didnt realize...

JD2780
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Wonder if I've bumped into you on base and just didnt realize...

Probably not. I try to avoid it as much as possible as to ensure I dont have a stroke since I'm not in anymore and cant really tell others to fix their uniforms or dont act like idiots. I only go there to drop stuff off for the wife or hit up the commisary once a month, and to go fishing once in a while. When I was on hurby in 02 we drove out troops to eglin ER. I was confused as could be when I drove my wife to the hospital to inprocess and half the roads had changed, doors had changed. Looks nice though.

The fishing on the bridge on John Sims before the gate is pretty good from what I hear, havent done it yet. Any other good spots? Also pretty pumped to use the fam camp this spring.

chevyman1234
03-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Since your there now, can u tell me which towns are good to live in? I've been apt hunting online and i dont know which areas are "nice" and which ones to stay away from. Any advice?

Sergeant eNYgma
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Probably not. I try to avoid it as much as possible as to ensure I dont have a stroke since I'm not in anymore and cant really tell others to fix their uniforms or dont act like idiots. I only go there to drop stuff off for the wife or hit up the commisary once a month, and to go fishing once in a while. When I was on hurby in 02 we drove out troops to eglin ER. I was confused as could be when I drove my wife to the hospital to inprocess and half the roads had changed, doors had changed. Looks nice though.

The fishing on the bridge on John Sims before the gate is pretty good from what I hear, havent done it yet. Any other good spots? Also pretty pumped to use the fam camp this spring.

Not that I know of unfortunately. I never really learned to fish so never tried...

JD2780
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Not that I know of unfortunately. I never really learned to fish so never tried...

WHAT!?!?!!? Doesnt take much learning. Attach worm to hook, drop hook, wait and drink beer. We're living in Valp, enjoying here, small quiet, mostly old people.

Airborne
03-15-2013, 01:30 AM
DWB? Did they get you?

Im not black but one of my best friends is (seriously) :rockon

He said he got pulled over twice but flashed the mil ID and got out of it.

AF Comm Guy
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Since your there now, can u tell me which towns are good to live in? I've been apt hunting online and i dont know which areas are "nice" and which ones to stay away from. Any advice?

How close are you looking to live to the base? I know people who commute all the way from Brigham City but I think that is because they are living with established family there. There are apartments right out the main (South) gate and all down Hill Field Rd. which runs through Layton. That's a pretty fair town. Roy is another good town for apartments and house rental. That's up at the north end of the base. If you are looking to do any college then Weber State University is up in Ogden and is pretty good for a brick-and-mortar establishment.

Stay out of Sunset and South Ogden. If you avoid those two town then you should be okay. Sunset isn't bad, it's just a run down suburb with a bad tax base so they rely heavily on traffic tickets for revenue.

oregonbean
03-17-2013, 06:59 PM

I heard that while I was there. I don't know how true it is. I do know that the religious demographic in SLC has shifted somewhat since the late 90s.

While I was there on active duty, I was offered a medical job off base. It was an awesome opportunity that I had to turn down--my squadron initially gave me the okay, but then denied my request to work a second job. I'm still bummed about that one, especially when I see shops bend over backwards to adjust schedules so folks can work a second job(mine would not have interfered and the employer was very flexible). But, I digress. . .

chevyman1234
03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
How close are you looking to live to the base? I know people who commute all the way from Brigham City but I think that is because they are living with established family there. There are apartments right out the main (South) gate and all down Hill Field Rd. which runs through Layton. That's a pretty fair town. Roy is another good town for apartments and house rental. That's up at the north end of the base. If you are looking to do any college then Weber State University is up in Ogden and is pretty good for a brick-and-mortar establishment.

Stay out of Sunset and South Ogden. If you avoid those two town then you should be okay. Sunset isn't bad, it's just a run down suburb with a bad tax base so they rely heavily on traffic tickets for revenue.

Yeah I am just looking to live like 5-10 miles from base, but can go further if the apt is nice enough. I dont know if you have any experience with the on base housing at all but I have heard a few horror stories about the company that runs it for Hill. You heard anything similar to that? My wife is friends with a lady who just PCS'd in from there and she said the housing was horrible. Dont really remember the specifics as to what she had said just that it wasn't good living on base.

Shrike
03-18-2013, 01:53 PM

They shared one collective ass? It must have been huge!