PDA

View Full Version : Unit Spending $1,000 on Award Plaques but we are sending civilians home

VFFTSGT
03-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Stupidity at it's finest...funny, people call it small potatoes but apparently small potatoes add up:

These watchdogs serve as “the eyes and ears of Congress embedded within the federal bureaucracy,” and they’ve identified $67 billion in rampant waste, fraud and abuse.

Four years ago, there were 10,894 recommended reductions, compared with 16,900 reductions, worth an additional $30 billion, awaiting action today.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/11/not-so-fast-mr-president/

AND NO, it's not a different pot of money; savings is savings - the AF (DOD) is choosing to send home civilians rather cut precious contracts.

Sequestration is nothing a political ploy, while making people suffer in the process.

I think this phrase from a historical document fits current events well:

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

tiredretiredE7
03-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Stupidity at it's finest...funny, people call it small potatoes but apparently small potatoes add up:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/11/not-so-fast-mr-president/

AND NO, it's not a different pot of money; savings is savings - the AF (DOD) is choosing to send home civilians rather cut precious contracts.

Sequestration is nothing a political ploy, while making people suffer in the process.

I think this phrase from a historical document fits current events well:

Great point and different "colors" of money can be changed with some paperwork. The whole thing is a sham and proves how incompetent the military has become when managing money.

RobotChicken
03-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Who do you think are going to be the new leaders of wall street avenue F-35 intersecting F-22???

JD2780
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Why do folks think we need plaques for quarterly awards and massive grotesque plaques for annual awards? Small simple certificates are fine if they want to go that route. Heck, a parking spot would be great to. Plus the crazy office chairs, giant TVs that only have slide shows on them. The AF is a sad sad place now.

weathtd
03-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I remember several awards that were "handshakes through the mail". Certificates are just as good as plaques and take up less space.

technomage1
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
We're sending civilians home and having the GIs do their jobs...guess who has to work this weekend since the civilians can't?

I love how we're working extra hours in relation to the sequester, but congress, who created this whole mess, doesn't seem all that concerned about it.

BRUWIN
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Why do folks think we need plaques for quarterly awards and massive grotesque plaques for annual awards? Small simple certificates are fine if they want to go that route.

If there is enough color toner cartidges around to make them. It's going to get that bad.

Pullinteeth
03-12-2013, 01:39 PM

And therein lies the problem...if there is a contract, you can't do anything about until the contract is up....

VFFTSGT
03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
We're sending civilians home and having the GIs do their jobs...guess who has to work this weekend since the civilians can't?

I love how we're working extra hours in relation to the sequester, but congress, who created this whole mess, doesn't seem all that concerned about it.

Well, the effects of sequestration are more about creating political turmoil and making people suffer (to create that turmoil) than about saving money... They screamed doom and gloom and now they are trying to create that.

“However you manage that reduction, you need to make sure you are not contradicting what we said the impact would be.” --Charles Brown, Charles Brown, a director at the Ag Dept’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

You may not request the furloughed employee work overtime nor may you ask another civilian who is not furloughed to compensate for the furloughed employee's lost productivity by working overtime.

You may shaft military members and make them work 18 hour days to compensate for our political hyperbole.

The President isn't too concerned either; he's out golfing.

If we are cutting people's pay (furloughs) then there should be NO award plaques, NO cable, NO facebook at work, NO 95,483 lights left on at night, NO Security Police leaving their vehicles running all the time, NO electronic billboards, NO useless inspections, NO useless exercises, NO a lot of wasteful spending.

BUDJR8
03-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I have no issue with some civilian slots being cut. In my current unit I wish they'd cut at least half of the LNs...we'd be just as productive with them gone.

Pullinteeth
03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I have no issue with some civilian slots being cut. In my current unit I wish they'd cut at least half of the LNs...we'd be just as productive with them gone.

But that isn't what they are doing. They are forcing civil service employees to cut their hours. I am not saying that civilians are great or anything like that but think about it this way. What if they told you that you get an extra day off each weed but they are also doing to dock you 20% of your pay. You get no choice in it, they are just going to do it. Oh and chances are, the production expectations probably wouldn't change... Would YOU be happy?

BUDJR8
03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
But that isn't what they are doing. They are forcing civil service employees to cut their hours. I am not saying that civilians are great or anything like that but think about it this way. What if they told you that you get an extra day off each weed but they are also doing to dock you 20% of your pay. You get no choice in it, they are just going to do it. Oh and chances are, the production expectations probably wouldn't change... Would YOU be happy?

Better off with a cut in pay than no job at all...

Drackore
03-12-2013, 07:18 PM
LNs over here are shielded from sequestration. The Americans are already losing hours while the LNs sit back and say that ever so famous DOD civilian phrase: "Not in my contract". Over here, if the LNs get *too stressed* they go to a doc and the doc writes them a note and bam, several months of paid leave to rest and recover.

It's a fucking joke.

Our taxmoney is going to a foreign national to be spent in their foreign country and we're cutting taxpayer jobs?!?! Anyone see anything wrong with that????

garhkal
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I do.. which is why i hav never liked the whole "hire LNS like crazy" aspect to our way of doing business.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
03-12-2013, 10:32 PM

Easier said then done, especially as the DoD moved ahead with business as usual through the first 1/3 of the FY, awarding contracts like everything would work itself out. Many of those service contracts last a year, and unless the contractors are going to agree to shorten the contracts out of the kindness of their hearts, we're pretty much stuck with 'em until the contracts are up.

cloudFFVII
03-13-2013, 03:45 AM
Yep, the fundraisers are going like normal ($7 a plate to fund multiple retirements coming up)...

Pay no attention to the civilians about to lose $1000 a month or more. We've got to have those plaques and shadow boxes!

giggawatt
03-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Hiring LNs is all part of the SOFAs. Ain't nothing we can do about it.

Drackore
03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
But you'd think if there were EVER to be any common sense in Congress...those SOFAs would get revisited. One can dream.

garhkal
03-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Agreed. But you are on about Congress.. Common sense to them is as foreign as being honest.