PDA

View Full Version : Question for wives & girlfriends

spirit_eyes
03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
How many of you think you should be treated the same as your other, who is on active duty?
Anything special you think you're due, that they don't get?

Pullinteeth
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
How many of you think you should be treated the same as your other, who is on active duty?

What if their spouse is in the Guard or Reserve? Are THEY GTG in using their husband's rank? What if the spouse is a male? Course with the repeal of DADT....the spouse could be a wife and be a male... :ohwell

spirit_eyes
03-12-2013, 02:43 PM
What's gtg?
And pullin, you know I could care less what gender etc a person is.

CrustySMSgt
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
What's gtg?
And pullin, you know I could care less what gender etc a person is.

good to go

drc100882
04-23-2013, 05:28 AM

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but is this a serious question?

F4CrewChick
04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Anything special you think you're due, that they don't get?Yes. Legally wed spouses of LGB AD should get the same benefits as other spouses of AD personnel.

sandsjames
04-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Yes. Legally wed spouses of LGB AD should get the same benefits as other spouses of AD personnel.

That wasn't the question, but thanks for taking the opportunity to hop on your soap box.

The question was whether or not a spouse is entitled to the same treatment as their active duty partner just for being married to them.

drc100882
04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Since I'm -30 days away from becoming the Mrs instead of the other SSgt in the family, my answer would be: hell no.

If you want to be treated in a decent manner, be a decent person.
If you want respect, earn it. Don't demand it.
No one cares who your husband is. No one cares who your wife is. The best way to get your other recognized is to be a total bitch or asshole to someone else in their unit.

And the military owes you nothing unless you've got a uniform on your back, and I'm not just talking about the half nakey pics you take in your other's ABU/ACU top either. You're owed nothing special so stop asking.

This is not directed at anyone on here.... it's just my answer to the questions.

JD2780
04-23-2013, 05:28 PM

Now that I'm separated from the AF I say screw that. I hold no rank no authority. I should be respected like anybody else. I'm not a military member anymore. Unless, I'm getting an LES I shouldn't be treated like a member holding rank. That is a stupid mentality and some spouses should be informed of their rank. Which doesn't exist!!

JD2780
04-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Since I'm -30 days away from becoming the Mrs instead of the other SSgt in the family, my answer would be: hell no.

If you want to be treated in a decent manner, be a decent person.
If you want respect, earn it. Don't demand it.
No one cares who your husband is. No one cares who your wife is. The best way to get your other recognized is to be a total bitch or asshole to someone else in their unit.

And the military owes you nothing unless you've got a uniform on your back, and I'm not just talking about the half nakey pics you take in your other's ABU/ACU top either. You're owed nothing special so stop asking.

This is not directed at anyone on here.... it's just my answer to the questions.

I think it is spot on.

Pullinteeth
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
That wasn't the question, but thanks for taking the opportunity to hop on your soap box.

The question was whether or not a spouse is entitled to the same treatment as their active duty partner just for being married to them.

My inital thought was the same but....that is a valid answer to her SECOND question...

(I am assuming that it would be "Anything special you think you're due, that YOU don't get?"...I could be wrong..

Measure Man
04-24-2013, 09:43 PM
I recently saw a discussion related to this on Facebook...basically it was a bunch of military spouses that were complaining that certain businesses only provided a military discount to the servicemember and not the dependent spouse.

In a nutshell, they were posting these businesses urging others to boycott them for "disrespecting military spouses" or some other nonsense.

I posted on their that any military discounts should be "appreciated graciously when given, but never expected." Blah blah blah more posts about how the spouse is part of the military...blah blah blah...

drc100882
04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
I recently saw a discussion related to this on Facebook...basically it was a bunch of military spouses that were complaining that certain businesses only provided a military discount to the servicemember and not the dependent spouse.

In a nutshell, they were posting these businesses urging others to boycott them for "disrespecting military spouses" or some other nonsense.

I posted on their that any military discounts should be "appreciated graciously when given, but never expected." Blah blah blah more posts about how the spouse is part of the military...blah blah blah...

Being a spouse is the hardest job in the military. Don't you know?

This discussion made me think of my fun encounter with a spouses group on base a few months ago... I wonder if I'd be accepted after I hang up the uniform...

DuckyHooah
03-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Not sure anyone is looking at this anymore but I wouldn't even want to be treated the same if I was a spouse.

I don't want to have to go on field training trip and have to sleep out in the open (no tent) and on the ground.
I don't want to have to go do PT especially when it's cold cuz those shorts don't cover much and my tits would be mad at me. (Yes I went there lol)
I don't want to have to spend all day in the uniform especially in the summer when he's stuck in the long sleeves no matter how hot it is.
I don't want to spend months away from home and not be able to cuddle up in my comfy bed at night.
I don't want to be shot at, I'm not trained on how to best respond other than shooting back.
I don't want to have to kill other people so that I can survive.

Those that want to be treated the same as their spouse who is employed by Uncle Sam should not expect to be treated the same unless they are willing to do what their spouse does. The spouse doesn't do the things for their country that our men and women who serve do so no I don't believe they should be treated the same.