PDA

View Full Version : Has any base cut off the cable yet?

VFFTSGT
03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Or cut off the TV that's wasting electricity....doing nothing but rotating through some slides no one looks at?

Or cut off those outdoor electronic boards we spent thousands of dollars on and no one looks at and are more distracting while driving than cell phones?

sandsjames
03-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Or cut off the TV that's wasting electricity....doing nothing but rotating through some slides no one looks at?

Or cut off those outdoor electronic boards we spent thousands of dollars on and no one looks at and are more distracting while driving than cell phones?

We just got a new 60" LED TV that hangs in the entrance to the group. It flashes slides that I'm sure nobody reads and, even if they did, aren't relevant to anything we do.

As far as cable, I'm not sure. I know the clinic has at least 12 TV's all with cable in each waiting area. I think it would be more productive to work on getting me into my appointment on time so I don't need to watch TV for 45 minutes before I'm seen.

Mcjohn1118
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
The Wright Patt gyms (all three) have been without cable for awhile now. Same with squadrons. There is cable in the Med Group waiting areas and the Force Support Squadron waiting area. I really don't know how much is being saved. Yet, we're still going through with CORONA.

Robert F. Dorr
03-09-2013, 05:20 PM
The Wright Patt gyms (all three) have been without cable for awhile now. Same with squadrons. There is cable in the Med Group waiting areas and the Force Support Squadron waiting area. I really don't know how much is being saved. Yet, we're still going through with CORONA.

I'm guessing nothing will be saved with foolish gestures like this. It only becomes real savings if someone returns money to he treasury.

garhkal
03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
We just got a new 60" LED TV that hangs in the entrance to the group. It flashes slides that I'm sure nobody reads and, even if they did, aren't relevant to anything we do.

As far as cable, I'm not sure. I know the clinic has at least 12 TV's all with cable in each waiting area. I think it would be more productive to work on getting me into my appointment on time so I don't need to watch TV for 45 minutes before I'm seen.

Well said. i hate the "be here 45 min prior' crap for appointments.

garhkal
03-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Some things i just thought of that can help out.

1) turn off ALL computers at the end of the day. This includes speakers, monitors, printers etc.
2) turn off all lights. Many a time i drove by buildings not in use (or after work hours) to see all the lights still on.
3) Make restricted take out the trash, do the gardening... Its only a little saving, but every bit counts.

Rizzo77
03-10-2013, 01:46 AM
NOT buying giant moniters (TV screens) would be a good way to reduce spending.

When I envy the cargo headed to Afghanistan (80" TVs) as being better than the TV in my home, I really begin to question priorities.

Airborne
03-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Different bases have different contracts with the local providers. Most give it away or charge very little for it. More "Washington Monument Syndrome".

Jamethon
03-10-2013, 03:06 AM
There are a lot of things that can be done to help lower the budget. Is a, MAYBE, 500 dollar a month cable bill for the base going to solve this crisis?

Why don't we stop replacing computer monitors every year? How about instead of government issued BlackBerry's for e-mail purposes, we make it to where you can sync your e-mail with your personal phone, computer, etc.? Quit these contracted cleaning companies for bathrooms. We all learned the skill in basic training. Do a serious look at the necessity of certain civilian personnel.

Truth is, there are a lot of things we can do to "help" spending cuts. But it's kind of like me giving the American Cancer Society a 5 dollar donation. Really, what good is that going to do? These cut downs in spending should have been thought of long before they were a serious factor. It's like we were 18 and got our first credit card; now it's maxed out and we need to figure out how to live within our means again.

71Fish
03-10-2013, 05:36 AM
I'm guessing nothing will be saved with foolish gestures like this. It only becomes real savings if someone returns money to he treasury.

Two spaces after a period is less of a tragedy than poor editing. Changes the entire complexion of a sentence. Just for you I went three spaces after my periods.

RobotChicken
03-10-2013, 06:19 AM
:clock Move that super air conditioned hanger in FLA to test 'real world cold' on air frames to Alaska for goodness sake; that's a Noooooo-brainer .....unless it gets in the way of sun tans for the inspectors stationed in Alaska! Put in a Arnold Palmer class 27 hole golf course with a '19th hole bar and stripper club'(MALE&FEMALE of course) next to the Pentagon for contractors/lobbyist/Congress to make their shady deals instead of exotic locals. And...Contract 'Virgin Atlantic' to fly all AF aircraft, on time, 100% ready to rock and roll at a moments notice, even to space!! TU-144 under special request when you have to get there yesterday!! (in the works I read, Brits would not sell him the Concord fleet) LAST...No GENERALS out number the total amount of bombers.........Now that's a start! :rant:plane

VFFTSGT
03-10-2013, 08:52 AM
There are a lot of things that can be done to help lower the budget. Is a, MAYBE, 500 dollar a month cable bill for the base going to solve this crisis?

This is one of many reasons the DOD has an overblown budget; everything is small potatoes no one cares to cut.

When a family needs extra cash do they sell their vehicle first and cut the big expenses or do they cut backing eating out and the cell phone or cable?

It's the same principal when it comes to reducing costs, the dollars add up.

And the base cable bill is more than that. One squadron alone I was in paid more than that a month.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
03-10-2013, 03:25 PM
This is one of many reasons the DOD has an overblown budget; everything is small potatoes no one cares to cut.

When a family needs extra cash do they sell their vehicle first and cut the big expenses or do they cut backing eating out and the cell phone or cable?

And the base cable bill is more than that. One squadron alone I was in paid more than that a month.

At the HQ level I feel like it's the opposite. Everything seems to be big potatoes, and nobody can live without anything, until they're forced too, if they're ever forced too.

Meager cuts are nice at the unit level, but if we really want to save a buck or two, we're talking about far more massive cuts at a programmatic level. When we're talking about cable bills and TVs, I feel like we're saying, "If I can't have a box of pens and a case of paper, you shouldn't have cable in your office." The thing is, you should be able to purchase your pens, paper, PPE, etc., and your CC should be able to keep his cable too. The truly small fry expenses shouldn't be an issue, even now. The larger expenses, i.e. flying hours, are a different ball game and chucking the small stuff isn't going to undue the damage there.

With all that said, we need to keep in mind that this FY is a mess, and we can't yet assume the next FY will be just as messy, if not messier.

garhkal
03-10-2013, 06:25 PM
NOT buying giant moniters (TV screens) would be a good way to reduce spending.

When I envy the cargo headed to Afghanistan (80" TVs) as being better than the TV in my home, I really begin to question priorities.

80 inchers heading to the combat zone? What the he(( for?

But i agree.. its somewhat pointless hitting the units themselves to make cuts when the overarching big commands do not change.

Pueblo
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM

And when a family owns investment properties whose rent is lower than they've been at any time in the last 75 years, they realize raising the rent will help pay the bills too.

Pullinteeth
03-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Why don't we stop replacing computer monitors every year? How about instead of government issued BlackBerry's for e-mail purposes, we make it to where you can sync your e-mail with your personal phone, computer, etc.?

Because that would require the DoD to allow non-network devices to have access to their servers and we all know how THAT works out... You would also have to allow non-network devices the ability to decrypt messages from the DoD server... etc....etc...etc... You think we have a problem with personal data leaking now? Just wait until all the data is availible to any device that has ever been owned by anyone that has ever been affiliated with the DoD....

JD2780
03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
What if the sq wanted to pay for its own cable. Not with Sq funds but with booster funds or with Sq dues? Not mandatory, but if people wanted to.

imported_KnuckleDragger
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Why not OTA broadcast?

garhkal
03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
What if the sq wanted to pay for its own cable. Not with Sq funds but with booster funds or with Sq dues? Not mandatory, but if people wanted to.

Seen that done...

Heck one of my overseas bases had us link our funds in our shop to purchase 3 UFC pay per views that were being held in the UK while i was there.. since normally AFN shows then for free if held in the US, they were not free that time.. So we all pitched in, brought beer/food and had a shop party.

Pullinteeth
03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

If a SQ wanted to do that, I have a feeling that "donations" would quickly become mandatory...