PDA

View Full Version : Toppling Hussein

CommunityEditor
03-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Too much money spent in Iraq, too few results

WASHINGTON — Ten years and $60 billion in American taxpayer funds later, Iraq is still so unstable and broken that even its leaders question whether U.S. efforts to rebuild the war-torn nation were worth the cost.

In his final report to Congress, Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction Stuart Bowen’s conclusion was all too clear: Since the invasion a decade ago this month, the U.S. has spent too much money in Iraq for too few results.

Read the whole story here (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/03/ap-too-much-money-spent-iraq-too-few-results-030613/).

Ten years and $60 billion later, what is the legacy of U.S. involvement in Iraq?

MACHINE666
03-07-2013, 06:16 PM
A nation in debt and the world hates us.

Thanks Clinton for not taking out Saddam while you had the chance. He was on your watch.

Thanks Dubya for being the puppet-boy of Cheney, and not listening to "We the People" when we said "No War".

Thanks to Obama for dragging out our withdrawl and virtually ignoring our wounded.

Thanks.

RobotChicken
03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
:clock Korea,VN,Nicaragua,A-stan(Soviet Union too)AND IRAQ x2! (of course the first time was paid for by the Saudi's) Legacy??? Don't fight the USA in battle...use our 'legal system' and economic system against US to defeat us without firing a shot. Now we have to wear out $400 million A/C hauling out equipment from a land locked country,instead of turning it over as 'military assistance' to friendly country we were fighting for....:frusty Yes Sir....'Legacy R Us' (Just RC's opinion of course, read at own risk) :faint

Banned
03-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Fortunes were made in Iraq. OIF is the most privatized war in modern history. I guess not even warfare can escape market logic.

Greg
03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Ten years and $60 billion later, what is the legacy of U.S. involvement in Iraq?

Causing an already administratively bloated bureaucracy, the VHA, to become even more dysfunctional.

DDGX300
03-09-2013, 01:34 AM
I don't really know what to say with out insulting the sacrifices of our men and women in Uniform. Sadly, I think nothing. Nothing is the legacy, we removed a dictator from a country that barely had the means to resist us. We could have sent in a militia group from the Georgia backwoods and took them over. They had no chance, I like to think that we did something there, that we helped the Iraqis in some way. I like to think that removing Saddam from power was right and just, I like to beleive that, but the actions of our most senior leaders make it very hard to believe that. At then end of the day the war came down to the man on the left and the right. I am proud of each and every member of all branches that took part in the war in Iraq.

Rizzo77
03-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Dang. I guess it would be insensitve of me to state my point of view that the entire region should just be turned in to a glass parking lot, fall out be damned.

THERE'S your WMD.

Banned
03-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Dang. I guess it would be insensitve of me to state my point of view that the entire region should just be turned in to a glass parking lot, fall out be damned.

THERE'S your WMD.

And Americans wonder why people hate us.

SSgt2111
03-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Fortunes were made in Iraq. OIF is the most privatized war in modern history. I guess not even warfare can escape market logic.

Joe, all wars are fought over money. That's the "realist" reason, but the public buys off on the "moralist" reason the politicians spin. All a politician has to do is wrap the flag around the cause and throw out words like 'freedom, democracy, patriotism, and god' and the public will buy it hook line and sinker.