PDA

View Full Version : Air wings grounded

CommunityEditor
03-06-2013, 05:26 PM
4 Navy air wings grounded, 8 deployments canned

With no budget deal by deadline, the Navy announced some drastic actions Saturday in the face of sequestration.

Four air wings are set to be grounded and eight ship deployments have been cancelled — including one already underway. The moves will help save the service $10 billion, the amount cut this year due to automatic spending cuts triggered by Congress.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said these drastic actions will still preserve the Navy’s presence overseas.

Read the whole story here (http://www.navytimes.com/news/2013/03/navy-sequester-4-air-wings-grounded-8-deployments-canned-030313/).

How can aviation community best cope with sequester-related cuts?

MACHINE666
03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
By drinking, of course!

:D :D :D :D :D

RobotChicken
03-06-2013, 05:45 PM
:lol Yea machine 666, BUT they will still be using 100% of O2 even in a non-flying status to 'clear' those hangovers!! :puke

MACHINE666
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
You have a valid point, Robot Chicken...I recommend that instead of huffing 100% O2 from their planes, they should huff MODEL AIRPLANE GLUE instead! The irony!

RobotChicken
03-06-2013, 06:48 PM
You have a valid point, Robot Chicken...I recommend that instead of huffing 100% O2 from their planes, they should huff MODEL AIRPLANE GLUE instead! The irony!

:clock 'Machine666' Have you not heard the latest in the 'land of beer?' All glue supplies from model kits have fallen under DOD's emergency supply system for the production and repair of the F-35 program. Any surpluses go to the 'upgrading program' for the B-2 stealth that does NOT improve with age as the F-35 with the 'super glue' WILL! Now go drink a RACK of REAL beer for RC!! :whoo

Robert F. Dorr
03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
How can aviation community best cope with sequester-related cuts?

The decision not to deploy Truman and her carrier strike group is merely a return to the status quo ante. Eisenhower will shortly be en route to relieve Stennis in the Gulf region and let her crew have a long overdue break. We probably never needed to have two carrier strike groups out there.

The decision on the carrier air wings is a little less clear. It's also a little less necessary. To say it again, Google the term "Washington Monument Syndrome." The Pentagon is adroit at crying wolf and that's what's happening here. Yes, this may impose some hardship on the people involved but not as much as the wolf-criers would have us believe.

BURAWSKI
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I agree with this. It could be a real problem if a crisis breaks out though. NK is starting to ratchet up their rhetoric a little more than usual so who knows? I think we are leaving ourselves open to some serious problems if a dire contingency arises and we don't have the time to respond in enough force. That is where we could wind up on the losing side. These politicians (and yes I include the President) are playing politics with our national security. Go figure.

Vrake
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I think NK is ratcheting it up deliberately. Thanks to modern media they are well aware of our problems. Every time they show their ass it is when we have other stuff going on.

I am all about saving money but when we won't do preventative maintanence on our aircraft or refuel scheduled Carriers I get nervous. They are saying like 250 jets won't get PMI's done due to this. It just creates an even worse backlog because we are flying the crap out of the jets that are still good. PMI'S take time to do right that's not something we can cut corners on.

RobotChicken
03-06-2013, 11:34 PM
:clock Wait till the F-35 hits what is left of our fleet!! Talk about 'backlog':lol I remember at Norfolk NARF they spent $80+million over 3 years 'rebuilding' a crashed F-14...money to fix :crazy none to build 3 more.:loco And it was flying when retired. No plane left behind on a returning carrier is going to be Great for all those Nippon techs that do not speak English now deployed on our carriers.....go figure.:spy

Robert F. Dorr
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I think NK is ratcheting it up deliberately. Thanks to modern media they are well aware of our problems. Every time they show their ass it is when we have other stuff going on.

I am all about saving money but when we won't do preventative maintanence on our aircraft or refuel scheduled Carriers I get nervous. They are saying like 250 jets won't get PMI's done due to this. It just creates an even worse backlog because we are flying the crap out of the jets that are still good. PMI'S take time to do right that's not something we can cut corners on.

I'm not sure why Burawski and Vrake think North Korea is "starting to ratchet up their rhetoric." I haven't seen that reported. No one I know who follows North Korea thinks that. By traditional standards, North Korean speeches and media have been fairly mellow as of late. Allowing a sports figure to appear in public with Kim was an enormous public-relations coup but it was anything but hostile.

Not refueling one carrier (not carriers, plural) for a temporary period and threatening to delay inspections is all cosmetic posturing. This time around, the Navy has proven better at it than the Air Force, which normally excels at rolling out the "Washington Monument Syndrome."

Besides, those air wings won't be grounded much longer anyway.

Vrake
03-07-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure why Burawski and Vrake think North Korea is "starting to ratchet up their rhetoric." I haven't seen that reported. No one I know who follows North Korea thinks that. By traditional standards, North Korean speeches and media have been fairly mellow as of late. Allowing a sports figure to appear in public with Kim was an enormous public-relations coup but it was anything but hostile.

Not refueling one carrier (not carriers, plural) for a temporary period and threatening to delay inspections is all cosmetic posturing. This time around, the Navy has proven better at it than the Air Force, which normally excels at rolling out the "Washington Monument Syndrome."

Besides, those air wings won't be grounded much longer anyway.

Mr Dorr a run through cnn or foxnews will show you the article where NK are saying they are ending the armistice and will "strike the US". It's all talk as everyone knows. They would not be stupid enough to do anything of substance. As for my multiple refuel comment there has been talk ( talk I know but where there is smoke there is fire) about putting the CVN-73 in storage rather then refuel it. I don't know how much weight that holds but just hearing it is disturbing.

This link is mellow?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/07/north-korea-vows-nuclear-attack-on-us-ahead-un-sanctions-vote/

And an edit***.

I don't know if you are privy to message traffic but it is already hitting us with our jets in PMI'S. Jets are being slid and delayed already because they are so old. While we wait for them we run the hours off the ones we have. So I will say if this is a Washington Monument Syndrome it sucks to have the symptoms with no cure in sight.

navyskcs
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM

If you take a look at history, you can see why countries like NK and Iran are ratcheting it up. Back in the 70's when DOD was gutted after Vietenam, the Soviet Union took advantage and started a cold war with us. That war was ended in the 80's after we re-built the mighty U.S. war machine and Soviets caved in.
Back in the 90's when DOD was gutted again after Desert Storm, Bin Laden was allowed to plan and execute his attacks on the U.S. at the WTC (twice) and several embassies overseas. Again we re-built our war machine and beat back Al Queda (but gave up defeating them).
So here we are now, getting ready to gut DOD again and the bad guys (NK, Iran, and other terrorist sleeper cells that we don't know about yet) are looking to make their move and kick us when we are at our weakest.
All that it takes is stop deploying some ships/troops and to start allowing lethal weapons (knives) on airplanes again and our enemies will come calling. Yes, it cost's ALOT of money to keep our war machine running, but based in history and it's knack for repeating itself, it is worth every penny that we spend to keep us safe.

Vrake
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM
If you take a look at history, you can see why countries like NK and Iran are ratcheting it up. Back in the 70's when DOD was gutted after Vietenam, the Soviet Union took advantage and started a cold war with us. That war was ended in the 80's after we re-built the mighty U.S. war machine and Soviets caved in.
Back in the 90's when DOD was gutted again after Desert Storm, Bin Laden was allowed to plan and execute his attacks on the U.S. at the WTC (twice) and several embassies overseas. Again we re-built our war machine and beat back Al Queda (but gave up defeating them).
So here we are now, getting ready to gut DOD again and the bad guys (NK, Iran, and other terrorist sleeper cells that we don't know about yet) are looking to make their move and kick us when we are at our weakest.
All that it takes is stop deploying some ships/troops and to start allowing lethal weapons (knives) on airplanes again and our enemies will come calling. Yes, it cost's ALOT of money to keep our war machine running, but based in history and it's knack for repeating itself, it is worth every penny that we spend to keep us safe.

Well said you are right.

Something about those who don't know history are doomed? :)

BURAWSKI
03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Well said you are right.

Something about those who don't know history are doomed? :)

I really think the Navy is going to get hurt a lot by all of this indecisiveness on the budget. Cutting the DOD budget without properly vetting which areas are more appropriate to do so will undermine our warfighting capacity and endanger our national security. Not to mention the morale of our Sailors. Also, it seems to be different this time. I remember the drawdown in the 90's, but what I'm hearing from the legislators and the Pentagon is frightening. I don't think it's crying wolf this time around. We are in for some serious hurting. Too bad the servicemembers are in the middle of this. It doesn't appear that there is anyone that can help them.

forcedj
03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
http://www.runtheville.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=309

Dan