PDA

View Full Version : Pyongyang threatened...to cancel the 1953 cease-fire that ended the Korean War

KellyinAvon
03-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Well, it didn't take Kim the latest long to follow in the footsteps of his evil grandfather and his crazy and evil father. Rattle the nuclear saber and get a few billion $$$? Isn't FOAL EAGLE (FOUL CHICKEN to those of you stationed in the ROK) cranking up about now too? That was evil grandpa kim's schtick. He did the same sh!t in 93 with FOUL CHICKEN and TEAM SPIRIT (AKA TEAM STUPID).

Serious threat or same sh!t, different kim??

The United States, dealing with an increasingly belligerent North Korea under the leadership of the impetuous Kim Jong-un, moved Tuesday through the U.N. framework to tighten sanctions on the regime -- with the goal of reining in Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

The move came as Pyongyang threatened, in retaliation, to cancel the 1953 cease-fire that ended the Korean War. The Korean People's Army Supreme Command warned of "surgical strikes" meant to unify the divided Korean Peninsula

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/05/un-talks-tough-new-nkorea-sanctions-for-nuke-test/?test=latestnews

RobotChicken
03-06-2013, 05:52 AM
:clock After meeting 'Dennis (the menace)Rodman' basket player 'Dip-lomat' he wants to nuke NBA headquarters! Hope he misses and hits 'HANOI JANE' by mistake. WAIT!!!....She and 'TED' are still on THEIR SIDE!!! :doh

weathtd
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Just go ahead and put a cruise missle up his ass.

71Fish
03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
NK has yet to realize their bad behavior isn't going to be rewarded.

MACHINE666
03-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Dennis Rodman gave Kim Jong Un herpes.

True story.

:D :D :D :D :D

garhkal
03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
NK has yet to realize their bad behavior isn't going to be rewarded.

When we keep sending aid there, what do you expect.

Banned
03-07-2013, 01:28 AM
We're all feeling the sequester (My request for new camera equipment got canked) - nothing like a new war in an irrelevant corner of the globe to get this show back on the world! Better blow the dust off that Rosetta Stone and start learning Korean!

Pullinteeth
03-07-2013, 02:52 PM
We're all feeling the sequester (My request for new camera equipment got canked) - nothing like a new war in an irrelevant corner of the globe to get this show back on the world! Better blow the dust off that Rosetta Stone and start learning Korean!

Yep, tough times call for misdirection not soulutions! Seems to be the mantra in D.C. anyway...

TJMAC77SP
03-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Ok, the news said the NORTH KOREA THREATENED THE US. Or is that a fabrication to be used as an excuse to take us to war with NK? Not sure sequestration fits into this equation. Someone 'splain please.......

Banned
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Ok, the news said the NORTH KOREA THREATENED THE US. Or is that a fabrication to be used as an excuse to take us to war with NK?

So you're saying every time some moron anywhere in the world runs his mouth we need to spend thousands of lives and trillions of dollars to "teach him a lesson"? That's a policy that gets expensive really quick.

You do realize we don't have to take EVERY opportunity to rush into a war... right?

Not sure sequestration fits into this equation. Someone 'splain please.......

The military is desperate for a new war to justify our current size and budget. Same reason AFRICOM is getting so much press.

Yep, tough times call for misdirection not soulutions! Seems to be the mantra in D.C. anyway...

Oh I get it, classic misdirection...

(Archer reference)

Pullinteeth
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Ok, the news said the NORTH KOREA THREATENED THE US. Or is that a fabrication to be used as an excuse to take us to war with NK? Not sure sequestration fits into this equation. Someone 'splain please.......

A spokesman for the North Korean foreign ministry suggested the United States "is set to light a fuse for a nuclear war."

As a result, North Korea "will exercise the right to a preemptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors and to defend the supreme interests of the country," the country said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

Methinks it is a legit statement since China just signed off on additional sanctions on N. Korea... China doesn't LIKE N. Korea but they LOVE having them there as a buffer.... I think the nuclear test on Tuesday was of great concern to the Chinese. More because N. Korea doesn't have an accurate delivery system than anything else (maybe?). N. Korea might point one at S. Korea or Japan and blow the hell out of China instead....

As to a war? I don't think it is likely. Pissing off China isn't high on our list of priorities though if N. Korea made an incursion, I have no doubt it would be repelled. Crossing the 38th? Very dangerous ground.

KellyinAvon
03-07-2013, 07:53 PM
A spokesman for the North Korean foreign ministry suggested the United States "is set to light a fuse for a nuclear war."

As a result, North Korea "will exercise the right to a preemptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors and to defend the supreme interests of the country," the country said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

Methinks it is a legit statement since China just signed off on additional sanctions on N. Korea... China doesn't LIKE N. Korea but they LOVE having them there as a buffer.... I think the nuclear test on Tuesday was of great concern to the Chinese. More because N. Korea doesn't have an accurate delivery system than anything else (maybe?). N. Korea might point one at S. Korea or Japan and blow the hell out of China instead....

As to a war? I don't think it is likely. Pissing off China isn't high on our list of priorities though if N. Korea made an incursion, I have no doubt it would be repelled. Crossing the 38th? Very dangerous ground.

Don't tell the north koreans, you can't set off a nuke by lighting a fuse!

It surprised me that China went along with the sanctions too. I've thought of China as the junk yard owner with north korea as the psycho black gunpowdered pit bull on a log chain. For a long time China has played the "I can control the psycho black gunpowdered pit bull, but no one else can" card.
Is kim the latest off China's log chain or are we gettin played for money? China could vote for the sanctions then roll stuff over the border, taking kick-backs from countries to sell stuff and not get caught violating sanctions. The UN's oil for food program with Iraq anyone?

TJMAC77SP
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
So you're saying every time some moron anywhere in the world runs his mouth we need to spend thousands of lives and trillions of dollars to "teach him a lesson"? That's a policy that gets expensive really quick.

You do realize we don't have to take EVERY opportunity to rush into a war... right?

The military is desperate for a new war to justify our current size and budget. Same reason AFRICOM is getting so much press.

Oh I get it, classic misdirection...

(Archer reference)

Ok, let's try this one more time.

Where in NORTH KOREA'S threat of war is the US's intention of waging war or even wanting to go to war?

As to Africom, could there actually be a threat (http://www.economist.com/news/21566361-africa-wests-foes-will-claim-desert-al-qaedas-land-grab) there? Maybe a little threat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17308138)? Maybe more than a little threat (http://www.economist.com/node/13701711)?

garhkal
03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Don't tell the north koreans, you can't set off a nuke by lighting a fuse!

It surprised me that China went along with the sanctions too. I've thought of China as the junk yard owner with north korea as the psycho black gunpowdered pit bull on a log chain. For a long time China has played the "I can control the psycho black gunpowdered pit bull, but no one else can" card.
Is kim the latest off China's log chain or are we gettin played for money? China could vote for the sanctions then roll stuff over the border, taking kick-backs from countries to sell stuff and not get caught violating sanctions. The UN's oil for food program with Iraq anyone?

From past history, i say they are saber rattling to get us to give more aid.

Banned
03-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok, let's try this one more time.

Where in NORTH KOREA'S threat of war is the US's intention of waging war or even wanting to go to war?

Might have SOMETHING to do with us crippling their economy and keeping them in poverty for decades... maybe? Naaah. Couldn't be. They hate our freedoms - that's it.

As to Africom, could there actually be a threat (http://www.economist.com/news/21566361-africa-wests-foes-will-claim-desert-al-qaedas-land-grab) there? Maybe a little threat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17308138)? Maybe more than a little threat (http://www.economist.com/node/13701711)?

Yes, it is funny how arming terrorists (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8407047/Libyan-rebel-commander-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html), training entire armies that immediately defect to the other side (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/28/somalia-soldiers-defect-alqaida), and bombing the shit out of everything leads to instability.

KellyinAvon
03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
From past history, i say they are saber rattling to get us to give more aid.

That has been the previous kim's schtick in the past. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

KellyinAvon
03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
US 'fully capable' of defending against North Korea attack, White House says

Here's a couple paragraphs that caught my eye:

North Korea has now conducted three nuclear tests. In the past year, it has made strides toward its goal of having a nuclear weapon that could threaten the U.S. although experts doubt it yet has the capability to hit the U.S. with a ballistic missile or miniaturize a nuclear device to mount on such a missile.

Carney alluded to the development of U.S. system designed to defend against long-range missiles. He said the U.S. is on a "good trajectory" after success in its return to testing of the Ground-Based Interceptor.

I'm more confident in nk's incompetence than in our ability to knock down an ICBM right now. This ain't no SCUD, or a V-2 (hey kim, Von Braun ain't walkin through that door) for that matter. Multiple stage rocket engines (which you need to get here from there) have been a problem for nk in the past.
I'm expecting them to nuke themselves soon. Maybe after that we can get kim a decent barber, the kid is sportin a Moe Howard these days.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/08/white-house-says-us-can-defend-against-north-korea-attack/

garhkal
03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I would love for them to nuke themselves.. but they would just declare a nat emergency, and request aid from us.. which we will more than likely give.

Robert F. Dorr
03-10-2013, 03:36 AM
It may be too inside-baseball to matter but very few statements have been attributed to Kim. His grandfather made statements and speeches virtually every day. The statement on the armistice came from the Army which is logical since the armistice was signed not by any government but by the armies in the field.

The armistice contained some terms that were never going to work, such as a proscription against replacing equipment. Had it been followed to the letter, we would still have F-86F Sabres at Osan and would be forbidden from replacing them with the newer F-86H. That provision was unilaterally abandoned in the late 1950s by our side.

Pullinteeth
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
I was unaware that they already nullified it once...can you nullify something more than once? Does that mean the armistice is back on?

Robert F. Dorr
03-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I was unaware that they already nullified it once...can you nullify something more than once? Does that mean the armistice is back on?

Good question. Betcha military lawyers are mulling this.

Apparently so. The first party to violate the armistice was the United Nations Command in 1956. Since then, violations have been frequent and the Korean Peoples Army has declared the armistice invalid at least seven times. An armistice isn't much more than a cease-fire so declaring it invalid becomes more meaningful if you start shooting again. I'm guessing the North Koreans will start some kind of an incident but it will fall far short of being the big war that everyone on the peninsula worries about.