PDA

View Full Version : Finally a PCS.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Got Kun...

Anyone else get any assignments?

bluecyclone1
03-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww......sorry there ol chap. But if it's a means to an end then congrats.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww......sorry there ol chap. But if it's a means to an end then congrats.

It is actually...

HydroMagic
03-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Got picked up for Mildenhall. Should be the happiest day of my life but that's not how the Air Force works. 7 years I've been trying to claw my way out of this North Dakota hell hole. Denied BOP's, denied overseas assignments (got picked up for Kunsan 2 years ago and that got cancelled, not by me), I've had worldwide volunteer for years, denied cross training, was about to volunteer for a 365 then got assignment coded so I couldn't go anywhere. A few months ago I get in touch with my functional and I'm basically told, "sorry bud, you're stuck there due to manning". I've been hearing this "manning" excuse for years. So I called AFPC's bluff on this "manning" crap, and turned in an MTI package last week. I figured with all the non-vol'd stuff going on lately this was pretty much guaranteed. Now all of a sudden manning is good enough for me to get an assignment to Mildenhall? GTFO.

Anyways, I've mind f*cked myself into really looking forward and getting excited to be an MTI although I haven't heard anything back yet. Now I don't know what to do.

poindexter
03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm going to Minot....

Drackore
03-01-2013, 06:14 PM
My condolences to you and yours.

I'm going to Minot....

Sergeant eNYgma
03-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Got picked up for Mildenhall. Should be the happiest day of my life but that's not how the Air Force works. 7 years I've been trying to claw my way out of this North Dakota hell hole. Denied BOP's, denied overseas assignments (got picked up for Kunsan 2 years ago and that got cancelled, not by me), I've had worldwide volunteer for years, denied cross training, was about to volunteer for a 365 then got assignment coded so I couldn't go anywhere. A few months ago I get in touch with my functional and I'm basically told, "sorry bud, you're stuck there due to manning". I've been hearing this "manning" excuse for years. So I called AFPC's bluff on this "manning" crap, and turned in an MTI package last week. I figured with all the non-vol'd stuff going on lately this was pretty much guaranteed. Now all of a sudden manning is good enough for me to get an assignment to Mildenhall? GTFO.

Anyways, I've mind f*cked myself into really looking forward and getting excited to be an MTI although I haven't heard anything back yet. Now I don't know what to do.

I started a TI package myself like just started and it didnt go my way. I'd just go to Mildenhall doesnt sound as much fun with the scandal going on.

technomage1
03-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Non volunteered to Guam. Not happy as I liked it here, but there are certainly much worse places to be. This will be my second time there.

technomage1
03-02-2013, 04:31 AM

England is a great assignment. I hear you on that you wanted to be an MTI...but you can go to London for the weekend. Or Scotland. England was a lot of fun for me.

efmbman
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Has there been any talk about how PCS moves could be delayed or cancelled with the cuts happening? Furloughs may take a while to enact, but a PCS is relatively easy to cancel.

CrustySMSgt
03-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Sorry to hear they pulled the old reverse phsychology switcharoo on you. Not sure what you mean about "what to do." Unless you're over 20 (which I'm suspecting you don't or that would rule you out for the TI gig) or don't have retainability and will choose to separate, it appears that choice has been made for you.

Given they've got the non-vol MTI process in place and moving, I would be inclined to believe your application will be dropped now that you have an assignment... but I could be wrong. If you're still interested in going that route, start making some phone calls, as the clock is ticking.

Best of luck either way... England is nice, I'd personally take that option!

imported_KnuckleDragger
03-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Be an MTI in England...

LogDog
03-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Good news is you've got an assignment to England. My recommendation is to get there at the earliest possible date so once you've signed on base, they won't move you. England is a great assignment and you'll have plenty of opportunity to see the country. The local area is farming country the town of Mildenhall is nice and you have some larger towns nearby.

Enjoy your tour in England.

jondstewart
03-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Got Kun...

Do you mean Kunsan? That's the better one of the Korea assignments, from what I heard over the years. Not as nice as Osan, but it's more of a family environment and not like Osan, where it's every man for himself and an exercise every 2 weeks

technomage1
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM
BTW, when you are boned...I mean non-volunteered, you still get the "Congatulations. You have been slected" email. News flash, AFPC: if you're non vol'd congratulations isn't appropriate. The member did not want to go but you have to send them. "We regret to inform you..." would be a better option. Or even a blanket "You have been selected".

That has actually made me madder than the assignment. Congratulatuons...yeah NOT SO MUCH.

Rainmaker
03-03-2013, 03:19 PM

Great assignment. While it is true that you probably would've gotten more trim as a TI. Mildenhall is also good pickins. The Wimmins is better lookin at Mildenhall. But, it's just not as good a numbers game. Rainmaker know right now it probably feels like Majic Man missing out on a great opportunity to be pushing flights of horny teenaged split tails through Basic. Rainmaker advice is to stick with England and make the most of it anyway and try for the TI thing later. Lackland will always be there. The beauty is you keep gettin older and they keep stayin the same age. Nomsayin??

Rainmaker
03-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Got Kun...

See a doctor and get rid of it.

sandsjames
03-03-2013, 08:03 PM

What's your job, if you don't mind me asking? Mildenhall is great. Did it twice. Loved it both times. The only downside, to me, is that it's now mandatory for newcomers to live in base housing. That's the last I heard anyway. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Become friends with Ryan Air quickly.

Airman of Darkness
03-04-2013, 01:54 AM
What's your job, if you don't mind me asking? Mildenhall is great. Did it twice. Loved it both times. The only downside, to me, is that it's now mandatory for newcomers to live in base housing. That's the last I heard anyway. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Become friends with Ryan Air quickly.

only newcomers WITH FAMILIES have to life in base housing at the Mildenhall and the Lakenheaths, MR. BUDDY GUY.

dont worry he wont get his precious assignment. thanks to sequestering and budget issues, ALL PCS MOVES WILL BE FROZEN. IF YOU ARE IN KOREA, GET USED TO IT. GIT R DUN!!! :flame :flame :flame :flame :flame :flame :flame

HydroMagic
03-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Be an MTI in England...

LOL...I choose this ^. Anyways, when I sat down and checked my email I also had an email from the MTI folks saying that I passed their review board and that I was able to get released from my AFSC. But I needed to call them cause there was a "problem". The problem being the Mildenhall assignment. According to them it is up to me to decide now.

Ummm yeah, I choose Mildenhall. Can't pass up that opportunity. IF this falls through for some reason at least I know I'm good to go on the MTI front. Either way, I need to get the hell out of this tundra hell.

I'm single and more than likely will be living off base.

Robert F. Dorr
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Do you mean Kunsan? That's the better one of the Korea assignments, from what I heard over the years. Not as nice as Osan, but it's more of a family environment and not like Osan, where it's every man for himself and an exercise every 2 weeks

The words "family environment" aren't the first that come to mind when Kunsan is mentioned. My visit to Kunsan in 1999 is a long time ago now but I wonder if anything has changed. It was a place where considerable pressure was placed upon airmen to behave like extreme, evangelical born-again Christians whether they held such beliefs or not. This is not unusual in an Air Force that has been all but taken over by Bible thumpers but it was openly acknowledged during my Kunsan visit. During the era before 9-11, this was the only remote tour in the Air Force and to describe the airmen at Kunsan as one happy family would be to overlook the intrusive behavior of leadership.

sandsjames
03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
The words "family environment" aren't the first that come to mind when Kunsan is mentioned. My visit to Kunsan in 1999 is a long time ago now but I wonder if anything has changed. It was a place where considerable pressure was placed upon airmen to behave like extreme, evangelical born-again Christians whether they held such beliefs or not. This is not unusual in an Air Force that has been all but taken over by Bible thumpers but it was openly acknowledged during my Kunsan visit. During the era before 9-11, this was the only remote tour in the Air Force and to describe the airmen at Kunsan as one happy family would be to overlook the intrusive behavior of leadership.

Yes, the pressure to behave like "eveangelical born-again Christians" by going out every night and drinking until one passes out in a ditch.

Airman of Darkness
03-04-2013, 03:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5d5jxJ5vbM

Sergeant eNYgma
03-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Yep Kunsan, Korea. I don't care much for the look of the base and all that...just gon do my year and gtfo. Hopefully...Hickam awaits for a follow on.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
As far as England goes which do you think is better to be at?

Lakenheath or Mildenhall?

MACHINE666
03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Got Kun...

Cancel that shit in a HEARTBEAT!

Unless you want First Shirts and douchebag Senior NCOs in your business 24/7, tell AFPC to shove it.

Osan is a better assignment, since it's every man for himself and nobody gives a damn really.

Take this from someone who has done 3 tours at the Kun and one tour at Osan. I've seen the ROK become progressively worse from 1995 - 2005 time frame. I can only imagine how fascist USFK has become now.

MACHINE666
03-04-2013, 06:29 PM

When I was there last in 2004 - 2005, Col Uhle, the Wing Commander at the time (I refuse to call him "Wolf", as General Olds is turning in his grave at the thought of what Uhle turned the Wolf Pack into) pretty much did exactly just that. Uhle was all too happy to take whatever frag orders coming down from USFK at that time, and going one step above, to show how "corporate Blue" of a Yes Man he truly was.

A devout Mormon, he was the first commander to enact an off-limits policy for A-Town, due to the new (at that time) "Human trafficking" policies that were coming down from the DoD. He didn't want "his" airmen paying money to see Juicee girls get up and shuffle about aimlessly on stage. Nevermind the fact that by late 2004, most the Juicee girls has been packed up and moved away by the Korean mafia, and A-Town bars were becoming more like downtown Kunsan instead. As wild and as crazy as Songtan and Itaewon can both be on a weekend night, even they didn't have such enacted policies at the time. He wanted to show USFK and PACAF that Kunsan was "leading the way". He finally declared A-Town back on limits again, only after the local bar owners complained enough to him...but he set a strict curfew for midnight. Even then, the fun factor was extremely low, and you could easily count the OSI guys dressed in plain clothes, spying on people and making sure that nobody was "buying a Juicee" for the night. When Sinbad the comedian came to tour, he asked him in front of an entire audience "What can happen between the hours of midnight and 5 am, that can't happen at any other time of the day?". Amongst shrieks and howls of laughter, he sat there with only a shit-eating grin on his face.

He had the Senior NCOs and First Shirts patroling A-Town like Darth Vader's storm troopers on parade practically. One night I was stopped 3 times walking from the Stereo Club to the A-Town bus, being accosted by these half-wits, simply because I didn't have a wingman with me. Nevermind the fact that you can't throw a rock without hitting an American in A-Town, these meat puppets blindly pushed the mantra that everyone MUST have a wingman.

He also tried shutting down all the hooches on base, since the 'perception' was that they were there to serve only alcohol to airmen, and nothing else. Thankfully, someone with enough common sense at JAG told him "No way, Jose", declaring the hooches as morale building environments, whose primary purpose was not to serve alcoholic beverages. Anyone who has been to the 8 CES Devil's Den knows exactly what I'm talking about.

He even raised the drinking limit on base to the age of 21. Legal drinking age in Korea is 20, but he decided that if you were stationed at Kunsan, you had to be at least 21 to enjoy some libations. If you were caught drinking off base, then you were SOL.

He pushed religion HARD on people there...had the Christian band "FFH" (Far From Home) come play a live performance on the football field, and then hold an altar call afterwards. Anyone who has been to the Kun knows that you can't turn around without knocking someone over, the base is that tiny. Everything is compressed together, and even if you don't want to hear some band playing their crappy music, you have no choice but to tolerate it, since everything is within earshot.

He pushed some other religious activities focusing on the Sonlight Inn and what not, and at this point in my life, I forget what they were specifically (one of them I think was to have an open forum amongst the different religions there on base...everyone from Born-Again Christian to Buddhist had a representation and then the chaplain tried to justify how Islam is a 'religion of peace' at that time, despite the beheadings of some Red Cross volunteers by their terrorist buddies).

All I know is I shit my Dress Blues in 2008, when Uhle, promoted to a One-star, was the VIP at my NCOA graduation on Ramstein. "WTF is this douchebag doing talking at my graduation?" I thought to myself, as I became heavily intoxicated that evening. I hold him directly accountable for taking what was the last part of the "real Air Force" in my opinion, and watering it down to become no different than any other bland, soul-crushing bureaucratic assignment you can find in today's Air Force. The 8 FW killed the Wolf Pack, and he was directly responsible.

May God and Robin Olds have mercy on us all.

poindexter
03-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Got Kun...

I loved Kunsan, I can honestly say it was best assignment to date. We did work hard but we played hard too. I have been trying to go back but I am so far down the list it's bananas. Good Luck

JD2780
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Wrong, TACPs and their support folks had remotes at Camp Red Cloud and Camp Casey in Korea.

Sergeant eNYgma
03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Cancel that shit in a HEARTBEAT!

Unless you want First Shirts and douchebag Senior NCOs in your business 24/7, tell AFPC to shove it.

Osan is a better assignment, since it's every man for himself and nobody gives a damn really.

Take this from someone who has done 3 tours at the Kun and one tour at Osan. I've seen the ROK become progressively worse from 1995 - 2005 time frame. I can only imagine how fascist USFK has become now.

Though that sounds quite bad I can't do it. I'll finally escape from here after 2 cancelled deployments and a cancelled PCS.

technomage1
03-05-2013, 12:21 AM
How are other bases handling the retainability requirements for overseas assignments with the milpds system being down? I visited MPF or force support or whatever they're calling themselves now and they told me not to worry about it and to come back in April. Now, normally you have a period of time, and I can't remember what, to get the retainability or you're considered to have refused the assignment. Which in today's AF would resut in a DOS rollback and separation. So understandably I'm a bit concerned.

And no, before anyone chimes in, I found out about the overseas assignment on Friday nor did I volunteer for it. I had no way of knowing I'd be picked up when I was, so I couldn't have done it earlier prior to the upgrade.

Robert F. Dorr
03-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Why is it down? How long will this last? What's the overall impact?

technomage1
03-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Why is it down? How long will this last? What's the overall impact?

Www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123338605 is all I know.

MACHINE666
03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Though that sounds quite bad I can't do it. I'll finally escape from here after 2 cancelled deployments and a cancelled PCS.

Be careful then, and stay off people's radar there...especially to the unit you're going to. Leadership there eats their young.

Smeghead
03-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Fail a PT test and get out of it. Go to Mildenhall.

technomage1
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
How are other bases handling the retainability requirements for overseas assignments with the milpds system being down? I visited MPF or force support or whatever they're calling themselves now and they told me not to worry about it and to come back in April. Now, normally you have a period of time, and I can't remember what, to get the retainability or you're considered to have refused the assignment. Which in today's AF would resut in a DOS rollback and separation. So understandably I'm a bit concerned.

And no, before anyone chimes in, I found out about the overseas assignment on Friday nor did I volunteer for it. I had no way of knowing I'd be picked up when I was, so I couldn't have done it earlier prior to the upgrade.

Interesting day today. I heard back from myPERS (an online personnel site with a question function) that I needed to reup within 30 days of being notified. Told me to go to MPS and gave the AFI reference. They can do the paperwork, then just update ,iDS when it comes online. I, go with that in hand to MPS. Same story, flat refusal from the NCOIC. So I go back to the squadron and email the shirt the situation, plus the myPERS answer. Within 30 minutes I'm told to go back to MPS and was able to start the paperwork, which I did.

I get waiting on stuff that you can (I have a dec from down range that will be updated in April), but they're messing with careers here and going against what AFPC/myPERS is saying. How many people have they turned away already? Good grief.

Robert F. Dorr
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Be careful then, and stay off people's radar there...especially to the unit you're going to. Leadership there eats their young.

Ouch. Damning. +Plus