PDA

View Full Version : Personnel cuts

CommunityEditor
02-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Retired Navy 4-star: USMC can cut another 10K

The Navy’s former top officer has suggested cutting the Marine Corps by an additional 10,000 personnel, dropping the service’s manning levels to approximately 172,000, as part of an aggressive proposal to cut costs and reorganize the Defense Department.

Adm. Gary Roughead, who retired in late 2011 as the chief of naval operations, has co-authored a paper arguing that if the military makes significant changes to its structure and priorities, the Corps could fulfill its roll as the nation’s “forced-entry and initial-response capability” with far fewer bodies. The paper, which Roughead wrote with Hoover Institution fellow Kori Schake, was published this month through the independent Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.

Read the whole story here (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/02/marine-retired-navy-4-star-gary-roughead-says-usmc-can-cut-another-10k-022613/).

Is a former admiral right when he says the Corps should trim down by another 10,000 Marines?

ares7
03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Our main focus as a nation is our economy right now. We need to cut military spending and that includes personnel as well... it's plain and simple.

Assaultdog0351
04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
In my personal opinion, if the Marine Corps knows that it will reduce money for training, then they should shift their priority to retention, not recruiting. Purging the last decade of experience from the our ranks will come with a price, and that price will be paid in blood. Suggestion: Extended the 10 year tenure for Sgts to what it was.

efmbman
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Not that my opinion is worth anything... but if I were in charge I would push to deactivate 3-4 Army divisions and activate 2 Marine divisions. I think with the Marines, you get more bang for the buck.

Assaultdog0351
04-11-2013, 03:21 AM
^ someoen give this guy some rep... I like your idea, sir.