PDA

View Full Version : Longest Terminal Leave?

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-24-2013, 02:48 PM
I know regs/AFIs and individual circumstances change,but, what is the longest "terminal leave" you have seen?

I hope I can get about 105 days. With a service date of 19 Nov:

That would be use/lose maxed out the prior year(60) + accumulated leave(25) + permissive TDY(20)

That would allow for a nice recuperation before a second career.

CrustySMSgt
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Not uncommon to see 100+ days. Especially with the ability to carry over 75 days; in theory you could have 75+ 27+ 20 = 122

My exit plan will depend on what they do with the 75 days... if it is still around I'll probably sell back 60, keep working, and end up taking 30 + 20, for 50 days of terminal. Not rushing off to start a new career, so no point in hanging out doing nothing on terminal, I'll have PLENTY of time to do that!!

efmbman
02-24-2013, 03:31 PM
... I'll probably sell back 60...

Just curious... it's your leave. But why would you want to sell leave?

sandsjames
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM

No kidding. 2 more months off with full pay seems pretty sweet to me.

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM

I would like to know this as well.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
02-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Some may argue that you might as well.

Personally, I'll sell 60 days over the course of my career, and then take the big chunk of leave at the end when I retire. IMO, that's how to get the most out of leave. I figure between all the holidays, down days, etc., I've received plenty of time off (outside of my first assignment).

I'd probably more apprehensive to sell it all at the end, but to each their own.

efmbman
02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Some may argue that you might as well.

Personally, I'll sell 60 days over the course of my career, and then take the big chunk of leave at the end when I retire. IMO, that's how to get the most out of leave. I figure between all the holidays, down days, etc., I've received plenty of time off (outside of my first assignment).

I'd probably more apprehensive to sell it all at the end, but to each their own.

Sure I can understand that. It's just that when you sell leave, you only get base pay. I would always counsel against a first-termer selling leave simply because of the bang for the buck. But as a senior NCO... that's seems like a large chunk of change to miss out on.

02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Sure I can understand that. It's just that when you sell leave, you only get base pay. I would always counsel against a first-termer selling leave simply because of the bang for the buck. But as a senior NCO... that's seems like a large chunk of change to miss out on.

I'm not real big on the idea of a first term kid doing it either, but I am big on the idea of folks selling 60 days and then saving 60 (or 75 if they're retiring soon) more back up to take once they're ready to retire. To me it just makes sense to cash in where you can, and then give yourself a break away from what we do to either relax, job hunt, or work elsewhere while collecting a few more descent checks before retirement.

CrustySMSgt
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
So, if I have a set retirement date, let's just say backing up to my HYT, then I can't work "2 more months" for full pay. SO, if my effective retirement date is my HYT, I'm getting full pay up to that date, plus $10k cash money in my pocket.

I'll have the rest of my non-working retirement to sit around and collect a paycheck for doing nothing.

I'm not losing anything; I will collect my full paycheck through HYT. If I took the leave, my pay doesn't change and I leave with no cash. And I'll still get 50 days terminal/PTDY... So if that makes me a dumbass, I'm guilty as charged.

sandsjames
02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
I guess I'm just at the stage where NO amount of money could cause me to work one day longer than necessary. I can understand people selling it back, it's just not for me.

efmbman
02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
To me it just makes sense to cash in where you can...

I am a firm believer in cashing in, but getting full pay and allowances is certainly more cash than selling leave. Maybe I am not getting it...

So, if I have a set retirement date, let's just say backing up to my HYT, then I can't work "2 more months" for full pay. SO, if my effective retirement date is my HYT, I'm getting full pay up to that date, plus $10k cash money in my pocket.

I'll have the rest of my non-working retirement to sit around and collect a paycheck for doing nothing.

I'm not losing anything; I will collect my full paycheck through HYT. If I took the leave, my pay doesn't change and I leave with no cash. And I'll still get 50 days terminal/PTDY... So if that makes me a dumbass, I'm guilty as charged.

As far as I know, the Army does not have "HYT"... I'm not even sure what that means. You've been around, so I am in no position to talk you into anything nor am I saying you are a dumbass! You must have good reasons for it, or you would not do it. I was just curious is all.

JD2780
02-24-2013, 06:48 PM
No kidding. 2 more months off with full pay seems pretty sweet to me.

Full pay being just base pay. If I took my leave, I would get base pay, BAS, BAH, and SDAP. Seems like a better idea to me.

sandsjames
02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Full pay being just base pay. If I took my leave, I would get base pay, BAS, BAH, and SDAP. Seems like a better idea to me.

I understand that. If he sells that 60 days, he will get that 60 days of "base pay". He will also get the 60 days of base pay, BAS, BAH, because he's still working. So, it's cash on top of the normal money.

People usually don't do it that way for two reasons:

1. They have another job lined up so they will be getting their full military pay PLUS the new job pay or
2. They just want to be out of the military as soon as possible

JD2780
02-24-2013, 06:59 PM
I understand that. If he sells that 60 days, he will get that 60 days of "base pay". He will also get the 60 days of base pay, BAS, BAH, because he's still working. So, it's cash on top of the normal money.

1. They have another job lined up so they will be getting their full military pay PLUS the new job pay or

Yea I went that way because my classes started Day 1 of leave.

efmbman
02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
As far as I know, the Army does not have "HYT"... I'm not even sure what that means. You've been around, so I am in no position to talk you into anything nor am I saying you are a dumbass! You must have good reasons for it, or you would not do it. I was just curious is all.

Search is my friend. What you USAF types call High Year of Tenure, the Army calls Retention Control Point. Got it now.

BRUWIN
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I took 114 days. terminal The place fell apart without me.

02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I am a firm believer in cashing in, but getting full pay and allowances is certainly more cash than selling leave. Maybe I am not getting it...

Yeah, I think something's getting lost in translation.

I'm saying, why not do both over the course of one's career? Sell a total of 60 days over the course of a career, and then save up 60+ at the end to take in conjunction with a PTDY for House Hunting.

I never got why some people wouldn't at least attempt to do both, at least if they're in this for 20+, but to each their own.

efmbman
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM

I'm saying, why not do both over the course of one's career? Sell a total of 60 days over the course of a career, and then save up 60+ at the end to take in conjunction with a PTDY for House Hunting.

I never got why some people wouldn't at least attempt to do both, at least if they're in this for 20+, but to each their own.

Absolutely - to each their own. When I hung it up, I had 82 days of leave on the books. During the transition, I was very grateful to have 82+20 (TPTDY) to screw around with while I got gainfully employed. At the same time, I received full pay and all allowances just like I was still working for the Army. Selling leave gets me only base pay, so I don't understand the benefit of selling. But that's just me. In fact, I made it a point during my last 18 months in the Army to not take any leave. I had a not-too bright first sergeant that could not do simple math and he was so surprised when once I picked my retirement date that he was going to lose me 102 days prior to that. No idea what the USAF does, but the Army actually does a PCS on paper to a Transition Point so that you are no longer on the books for your last unit. Not once did I answer my phone.

No worries. I am sure there are many situations in which selling leave is the best course of action... but I can't think of any lol.

02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Absolutely - to each their own. When I hung it up, I had 82 days of leave on the books. During the transition, I was very grateful to have 82+20 (TPTDY) to screw around with while I got gainfully employed. At the same time, I received full pay and all allowances just like I was still working for the Army. Selling leave gets me only base pay, so I don't understand the benefit of selling. But that's just me. In fact, I made it a point during my last 18 months in the Army to not take any leave. I had a not-too bright first sergeant that could not do simple math and he was so surprised when once I picked my retirement date that he was going to lose me 102 days prior to that. No idea what the USAF does, but the Army actually does a PCS on paper to a Transition Point so that you are no longer on the books for your last unit. Not once did I answer my phone.

No worries. I am sure there are many situations in which selling leave is the best course of action... but I can't think of any lol.

Well what I'm saying is that one could for example, sell 60 days of leave when they're reenlisting for the 2nd time at E-6 pay. Let's say this puts them at roughly 12 years in. Over the next 8, they could save leave back up, and still take a ton of leave when they decide to walk away. So while it's true that the 60 days they sell will only be base pay minus taxes, it's not like one can't stockpile more leave to take before retirement. Besides, what would have those days been used for? Goof off time? Lengthy appointments? Well it's not like we don't get days off in this line of work. Why not make the most out of leave, sell it all back years before you're at the end of the line, save it back up, then take it all while doing whatever the heck you want to do? I say, take advantage of our benefits, especially if you put in 20+. That's far more than the far majority of U.S. citizens do, so take advantage of benefit and get the most out of it for you and your family. At least that's what I say.

efmbman
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Well what I'm saying is that one could for example, sell 60 days of leave when they're reenlisting for the 2nd time at E-6 pay. Let's say this puts them at roughly 12 years in. Over the next 8, they could save leave back up, and still take a ton of leave when they decide to walk away. So while it's true that the 60 days they sell will only be base pay minus taxes, it's not like one can't stockpile more leave to take before retirement. Besides, what would have those days been used for? Goof off time? Lengthy appointments? Well it's not like we don't get days off in this line of work. Why not make the most out of leave, sell it all back years before you're at the end of the line, save it back up, then take it all while doing whatever the heck you want to do? I say, take advantage of our benefits, especially if you put in 20+. That's far more than the far majority of U.S. citizens do, so take advantage of benefit and get the most out of it for you and your family. At least that's what I say.

Hard to argue with that! One of the things I always liked was the frequent 3-day weekends (overseas tours seemed to always be 4-days) and anytime I really needed to do anything, I was allowed to do it. In turn, I always let my troops take care of business. Other than the money issue, no big deal. Money isn't everything.

raider8169
02-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Even if you are able to recover the leave you sell I would still rather just take the leave. If you sell leave when you are low ranking you are not getting a whole lot for it, at least not enough to make it worth it for me. If you sell around the 10-14 year mark you could make a little bit and still have time to recover but that could make for a rough few years until you get that leave back. I would rather be forced to take 30 days a year instead of getting a couple grand for selling it back.

Airman of Darkness
02-25-2013, 12:42 AM
here is an idea HOW ABOUT YOU JUST GIT-R-DUN until your last day?! :flame

02-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Even if you are able to recover the leave you sell I would still rather just take the leave. If you sell leave when you are low ranking you are not getting a whole lot for it, at least not enough to make it worth it for me. If you sell around the 10-14 year mark you could make a little bit and still have time to recover but that could make for a rough few years until you get that leave back. I would rather be forced to take 30 days a year instead of getting a couple grand for selling it back.

Oh it's definitely a case by case basis thing. I mean for me, I get weekends, holidays, safety/down days, and at times, even a few freebies. Even then, I would still take some days, but 30 a year on top of all those other days? That's a ton of time off for me. I'll never get that much time off when I'm a civilian, and until I'm retired, I'm fine with that. I'd rather say, cash in as a TSgt and then a MSgt (30 a piece) and then stockpile. I'd never be starting from scratch, so it's not like I'd really have a leave/time off problem at any point, unless there was something so horrible to occur that I would have been screwed no matter what.

Again, it's a case by case basis thing, but if I can cash-in and get the time off before retirement, that's what I would choose to do. It might not be a big deal if I was single and had no kids, but that's money that can be thrown at school clothes, piano lessons, baseball gloves, etc. I figure I might as well hook-up my knuckleheads when given the opportunity than use an abundance of days to veg or blow even more money on some theme parks, which is probably what would happen if I had taken 30 leave days every single year, in addition to all the other off days.

CrustySMSgt
02-25-2013, 05:55 AM

AF is different; you're on the books until you drop off. Glad folks can get down time before they retire, but as a HQ funtional who is involed in dealing with manning, I always remind my units of this... if they approve 120-days, they aren't getting a body for 4 months; if they approve it, the remianing folks have to pick up the slack for that time period. Throw a couple retirements on top of each other and it can get ugly real quick in a small units.

Selling leave might not work for everyone... but depending on when I decide to retire, I'm going to be getting $4.5k - 4.8k a month (probably a little more as I expect to hit the magic 50% disability mark). My wife retired in 2011 as a 25 year E8 and gets about $3k a month (and isn't working, but using her GI bill). So between the two of us, we'll be bringing in nearly $8k a month (before GI bill)... so I will be in NO hurry to go to work; I still (most days) enjoy my AF job (not sure what it'll be when I get back from my year in Afghanistan; that will have a huge impact on how much longer I stick it out), so I have no problem working to the end and adding that $9-10K to my nest egg.

Glad SOMEONE gets it! lol

Chief_KO
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
110 days...and it was great! My advice: once you apply for retirement (1 year ahead of your retirement date), get your plan in place. Get your CC to sign your terminal leave/PTDY paperwork (don't wait to the last minute). That last year will fly by and you will forget something, but knock out those 2 big things upfront, so everything else will fall into place.

SomeRandomGuy
02-25-2013, 12:30 PM
The longest terminal leave I have ever seen is 132 days. The guy was an OSI agent who had been deployed almost the last 5 years straight. He had been participating in what is called Special Leave Accrual. It allows you to carry more than 75 days of leave if you are over 75 when you return from deployment. He also added 20 days of permissive for a total of 152 days. I am sure that was great but it probably barely made up for all the moments he missed over the last several years earning that leave.

As far as the question about why would a person sell leave. Here are my thoughts that apply to everyone (retirements and seperations). If you have a job lined up already you should start terminal leave on the last possible day before that job starts. This means that you effectively draw two paychecks for the remainder of that leave. If you do not have a job lined up your best bet is to work up until your last day and then sell all of your leave. The leave sell will be a nice little severance that when combined with unemployment will carry you until you find a new job. Also you will have plenty of time off while looking for the next job.

When I seperated I had 64 days of leave avaliable. I started applying for jobs with the plan that I would work until my DOS if I needed too. I ended up getting a job offer with about 30 days left. At that point I turned in my leave paperwork started leave and went to work at the next job. It allowed me to get paid for 30 days and sell 30. The answer to why you would ever sell leave always depends on your personal situation. It is also important to remember that leave sellback is taxed as a one time payment at a rate of 25% so you not only lose BAH for that period you also pay 25% tax which you have to wait to recoup (assuming you are in a lower tax bracket than that).

Punisher
02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
As far as the question about why would a person sell leave. Here are my thoughts that apply to everyone (retirements and seperations). If you have a job lined up already you should start terminal leave on the last possible day before that job starts. This means that you effectively draw two paychecks for the remainder of that leave. If you do not have a job lined up your best bet is to work up until your last day and then sell all of your leave. The leave sell will be a nice little severance that when combined with unemployment will carry you until you find a new job. Also you will have plenty of time off while looking for the next job.

I look at money as having a "net value" that's determined by how much money it is, and how much work that was necessary to obtain it.

In other words, work = money.

So let's say we're talking about 60 days, that one could either take or sell. Yes, you'll earn more money (nominally) by working until the end and selling the leave back. But since you worked for the final two months; the value of your regular pay during those last two months is cancled out by the fact that you worked for it. Again, that's because work = money. The real value is in the money you get from the leave that you sold back, because you didn't have to work for it. But it's only base pay.

Whereas, there's a greater net value in taking the 60 days of terminal leave. Granted, you don't have as much money in the long run as someone who sell it all back; BUT, since work = money, the money obtained through not working for it is the only money that matters. And the money in this case, includes 60 days of all pay and allowances.

Sergeant eNYgma
02-25-2013, 01:42 PM

That's what I'm going to try. I barely ever take leave anyway so I wanted to sell some myself as a first termer and if I make it to 20+ (That is a goal) I'll have leave saved up to take...I think it works I don't necessarily want 100+ days of terminal either.

Sergeant eNYgma
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh it's definitely a case by case basis thing. I mean for me, I get weekends, holidays, safety/down days, and at times, even a few freebies. Even then, I would still take some days, but 30 a year on top of all those other days? That's a ton of time off for me. I'll never get that much time off when I'm a civilian, and until I'm retired, I'm fine with that. I'd rather say, cash in as a TSgt and then a MSgt (30 a piece) and then stockpile. I'd never be starting from scratch, so it's not like I'd really have a leave/time off problem at any point, unless there was something so horrible to occur that I would have been screwed no matter what.

Again, it's a case by case basis thing, but if I can cash-in and get the time off before retirement, that's what I would choose to do. It might not be a big deal if I was single and had no kids, but that's money that can be thrown at school clothes, piano lessons, baseball gloves, etc. I figure I might as well hook-up my knuckleheads when given the opportunity than use an abundance of days to veg or blow even more money on some theme parks, which is probably what would happen if I had taken 30 leave days every single year, in addition to all the other off days.

But I thought you could only sell once during your career?

SomeRandomGuy
02-25-2013, 01:54 PM
But I thought you could only sell once during your career?

Enlisted can sell leave when re-enlisting. They can sell as many times as they want but the total number of days cannot be more than 60 for their career. Officer do not "re-enlist" so they can only sell when they seperate.

Sergeant eNYgma
02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Enlisted can sell leave when re-enlisting. They can sell as many times as they want but the total number of days cannot be more than 60 for their career. Officer do not "re-enlist" so they can only sell when they seperate.

Got it thanks.

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
If you do not have a job lined up your best bet is to work up until your last day and then sell all of your leave. The leave sell will be a nice little severance that when combined with unemployment will carry you until you find a new job. Also you will have plenty of time off while looking for the next job.

I have too much integrity to sell my leave, knowing I can bank on unemployment. I would use unemployment as a LAST option, not my first.

CrustySMSgt
02-26-2013, 04:27 AM
I look at money as having a "net value" that's determined by how much money it is, and how much work that was necessary to obtain it.

In other words, work = money.

So let's say we're talking about 60 days, that one could either take or sell. Yes, you'll earn more money (nominally) by working until the end and selling the leave back. But since you worked for the final two months; the value of your regular pay during those last two months is cancled out by the fact that you worked for it. Again, that's because work = money. The real value is in the money you get from the leave that you sold back, because you didn't have to work for it. But it's only base pay.

Whereas, there's a greater net value in taking the 60 days of terminal leave. Granted, you don't have as much money in the long run as someone who sell it all back; BUT, since work = money, the money obtained through not working for it is the only money that matters. And the money in this case, includes 60 days of all pay and allowances.

I hate word problems! :pout

SomeRandomGuy
02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I have too much integrity to sell my leave, knowing I can bank on unemployment. I would use unemployment as a LAST option, not my first.

I suppose this also means you have too much integrity to use public highway systems. I assume you use excluseively toll roads unless the interstate is your last resort.

You do realize that it is called unemployment insurance right? Both you and your employer (most employers but not the military) pay into the system just in case you ever need to use it. I do not see how using a social program for its intended purpose is an integrity issue. Now if your plan is to use unemployment for the full 6 months and not actually look for a job that is an issue. What I am talking about though is simply a month or two of unemployment to make sure you find the perfect fit for yourself at your new job.

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I suppose this also means you have too much integrity to use public highway systems. I assume you use excluseively toll roads unless the interstate is your last resort.

You do realize that it is called unemployment insurance right? Both you and your employer (most employers but not the military) pay into the system just in case you ever need to use it. I do not see how using a social program for its intended purpose is an integrity issue. Now if your plan is to use unemployment for the full 6 months and not actually look for a job that is an issue. What I am talking about though is simply a month or two of unemployment to make sure you find the perfect fit for yourself at your new job.

As you admitted, you didn't pay into it.

Even so:
Since I pay into auto insurance, would it be ethical to crash my car, in order to use the benefits to buy that shiny new Corvette? It would be the perfect fit after all.

I am not against unemployment in the least. I just can't understand the logic of forfeiting 2 months of Terminal, and then saying you couldn't find a job in a timely manner.:der

Barberakb
02-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I am a firm believer in cashing in, but getting full pay and allowances is certainly more cash than selling leave. Maybe I am not getting it....

Its not that hard. Lets say for ex you have to choose between taking leave and quiting work
60 days early or staying 60 days longer and selling the LV.

If you take the leave you get the time off and you are paid full pay and benefits.

If you stay at work and sell the LV you are paid full pay and benefits plus the extra base pay for
2 months.

So yea, if you are an Airmen then it is probably stupid unless you really really need the money.
But if you are E-6/O-3 or above it can be a big chunk of money.
It all depends on your situation. Nobody is right or wrong, it can be a good deal either way.

Punisher
02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
If you take the leave you get the time off and you are paid full pay and benefits.

If you stay at work and sell the LV you are paid full pay and benefits plus the extra base pay for
2 months.

If you look at my previous post, however, remember that work = money; so the two cancel eachother out. So what you're left with two months of full pay and benefits vs two months of base pay.

SomeRandomGuy
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
If you look at my previous post, however, remember that work = money; so the two cancel eachother out. So what you're left with two months of full pay and benefits vs two months of base pay.

I tried to read your other post but it made my head hurt. You are still missing the point though. If you work for your last two months you are paid just as you normally would be. Then on top of that you get 2 months worth of base pay as a bonus. If you take two months terminal leave you get the time off and your normal pay but you do not get the additional 2 months of base pay that the first situation yields. My opinion is that if you are going to take time off why not wait until after your DOS unless you are just so sick of the pace that you need to leave tomorrow or you might go postal.

CrustySMSgt
02-28-2013, 03:45 AM
Tak is right.

Your new avatar is awesome! :clap2

CrustySMSgt
02-28-2013, 03:47 AM

Wrong, money=money. In one scenario you have the same money and in one you have MORE money. More is always better! (unless the more isn't worth your sanity, then take the leave and decompress!)

I tried to read your other post but it made my head hurt. You are still missing the point though. If you work for your last two months you are paid just as you normally would be. Then on top of that you get 2 months worth of base pay as a bonus. If you take two months terminal leave you get the time off and your normal pay but you do not get the additional 2 months of base pay that the first situation yields. My opinion is that if you are going to take time off why not wait until after your DOS unless you are just so sick of the pace that you need to leave tomorrow or you might go postal.

I guess people either get it or don't. To each his own, that's why it is an option. :)

Barberakb
03-26-2013, 04:19 AM

I don't care about your previous post. You aren't making any damn sense!
Of course work = money. If it didn't, why the hell would anyone work???

Plz stop posting because you are just confusing the people who don't need any help.