PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the Army complain about things on these boards as much as the Air Force?

jondstewart
02-18-2013, 02:54 AM
Seems to me you would all have FAR more to complain about. But I have also noticed having deployed with the Army that no matter what the situations, they yell first and ask questions later and have no sense of entitlement.

efmbman
02-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Seems to me you would all have FAR more to complain about. But I have also noticed having deployed with the Army that no matter what the situations, they yell first and ask questions later and have no sense of entitlement.

Interesting observation. Why do you suppose that is the case?

Crazyhorse21
02-18-2013, 07:35 PM
I would say it's a cultural thing. I think most of us going in knew that we wouldn't have the cushy living of some of the other branches. In the Army, or at least in Combat Arms, there's the practice of embracing the "suck." It's something of a point of pride in my Infantry company. Even when you're wet, muddy, tired, cold, etc you don't quit because you don't want to fail your buddies. I don't know that the Air Force has that.

TJMAC77SP
02-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Guys..........all the 'stuff' aside. It is simple.

As to the actual question asked:

More AF members have daily and routine access to desktop computers then Army members.

Sorry it isn't a sexy and 'pop smoke, drive on' answer but it is what it is.

MACHINE666
02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
No. My experience working with Army on a daily basis is that "Army Dumb" is the reason why they don't bitch and fuss the way our panty-waist blue-suiters do....they're too STUPID to collectively organize on a message board forum and complain about everything that's wrong with it. Don't mistake it for "professionalism"....not even in the slightest!

Robert F. Dorr
02-20-2013, 11:28 PM
None of the answers provided here is accurate.

The truth is, nobody knows.

The ratio of participation is different on the Facebook pages for the four Military Times newspapers.

The Air Force section of these Forums is the anomaly but no one really can say why airmen post in these Forums when soldiers, sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen don't.

71Fish
02-20-2013, 11:53 PM
No. My experience working with Army on a daily basis is that "Army Dumb" is the reason why they don't bitch and fuss the way our panty-waist blue-suiters do....they're too STUPID to collectively organize on a message board forum and complain about everything that's wrong with it. Don't mistake it for "professionalism"....not even in the slightest!

I think it is a combination of this and the above mentioned access to computers while at work. There is also the knowledge going in that the Army kinda sucks so they just accept it.

And there are just a lot of whiny bitches in the AF.

Punisher
02-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Getting a little sensitive, are we?

If we go by who the most intelligent service is, and base it on the required ASVAB score (which is flawed in my opinion, but Airmen love to go by it); then the Coast Guard is the most intelligent service. Granted, there are no Coasties on this board (that I am aware of); but in talking to Coasties elsewhere, they are the service members who actually bitch the least.

Pullinteeth
02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
None of the answers provided here is accurate.

The truth is, nobody knows.

The ratio of participation is different on the Facebook pages for the four Military Times newspapers.

The Air Force section of these Forums is the anomaly but no one really can say why airmen post in these Forums when soldiers, sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen don't.

Ummmthey do. There are several Sailors, Marines, and Soldiers that post on a regular basis. They just usually post in the AF section or one of the other sections more than their own sections. They even start threads directly related to their own branch in the AF section just so people will read it... Don't see many Coasties.

Banned
02-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Ummmthey do. There are several Sailors, Marines, and Soldiers that post on a regular basis. They just usually post in the AF section or one of the other sections more than their own sections. They even start threads directly related to their own branch in the AF section just so people will read it... Don't see many Coasties.

Very few though. There's like maybe four Marines who regularly post, and slightly more Army and Navy. Not sure why this forum in particular is such a hot spot for AF folks.

As far as posting in the AF subforum, its a sort of vicious downward spiral. Posts in other branch forums get ignored, so even their own members will post our junk in the AF forum... which of course makes the other branch forums ignored even more.

JD2780
02-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Getting a little sensitive, are we?

If we go by who the most intelligent service is, and base it on the required ASVAB score (which is flawed in my opinion, but Airmen love to go by it); then the Coast Guard is the most intelligent service. Granted, there are no Coasties on this board (that I am aware of); but in talking to Coasties elsewhere, they are the service members who actually bitch the least.

Well its obvious they're smarter. They chose the CG to begin with. All the same pays as the other services but with out all that deploying thing. I know some have but not the majority.

Rizzo77
02-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Army people "suck it up and drive on." Bitchin' in the Army yields NO favorable results. Look at the stupid a$$ black beret and the miserable velcro suit of pajamas (ACUs).

Despite the "results from the field" that the black beret and ACUs are entirely retarded, we wound up with that shit anyway. The Army is good at breaking one's spirit, and therefore most Soldiers avoid militarytimes.com because it has the word military in it.

Pullinteeth
02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

So just because they don't post here as much as others in THIS forum, you assume that everyone in the Army is content and has "no sense of entitlement?" That is absurd.

jondstewart
03-03-2013, 07:15 AM
So just because they don't post here as much as others in THIS forum, you assume that everyone in the Army is content and has "no sense of entitlement?" That is absurd.

Maybe not, but from what I've seen, it just doesn't occur to most of the Army to talk about such concerns. Stereotypically speaking, I'd say most can't brazen or intellectualize the concept of coming to a board like this and make such comments.

Air Force will complain if they are in a deployed environment if the air conditioning or wireless internet goes out, but many of the Army will go weeks in the field or on a COP with no shower or hot meals and think nothing of it

I had many Army guys come into my DFAC after being in the field for weeks. It made no difference to me how stinky they were, I insisted they come right on in and eat and deserved it!

Jh762
03-05-2013, 01:34 AM
We always had a rule that you weren't allowed to bring up the Army in any way shape or form when we were off work. The first offense was verbal warning, second offense you had to start buying the drinks.

MisterBen
03-05-2013, 02:49 AM
Army people "suck it up and drive on." Bitchin' in the Army yields NO favorable results. Look at the stupid a$$ black beret and the miserable velcro suit of pajamas (ACUs).

Despite the "results from the field" that the black beret and ACUs are entirely retarded, we wound up with that shit anyway. The Army is good at breaking one's spirit, and therefore most Soldiers avoid militarytimes.com because it has the word military in it.

Corny speaks and complains for us all. ;)

CORNELIUSSEON
05-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Bitching in the Army is a cultural thing. We have a saying: “A bitchy soldier is a happy soldier.” Conversely, when the company grows quiet, the Seniors start investigating WHY there is quiet, because they know that someone has started to DO something, either good or bad. Further, there is less fear about retribution.

We only really have trouble when we get Commanders who try to tamp down the bitching.

The time-honored solution for them is to let them think that we have their backs when they start doing stupid things, and then let them bear the weight without support when their superiors catch on to their actions.

When you read about an Army Officer being prosecuted or administratively removed all of a sudden, you can bet your bottom dollar the troops in his Command either know all about it but point directly at the officer involved when they get asked about it during an investigation, or else the Officer was able to cover his tracks from the troops, but the troops still won’t cover his butt because of lack of trust.

As to uniform items, expecting the Army to change uniform items just because the troops bitch about them is quite naive. The troops have never been 100% satisfied with a uniform change since there has been a US Army, and the Commanders know it, and act accordingly.

Psy
05-31-2013, 08:00 PM
The Army is huge. What this ends up meaning is that there is a massively larger chance of a given policy to piss off X amount of people, and so the leadership tends to do things less on popularity among the troops and more about practicality. Bitching changes nothing, and gets you singled out as the bitch in question (to paraphrase one of my Drill Sergeants). All of us are taught this at the same time we're taught how to march in step and shoot our weapon, so whether conscious of it or not the lesson tends to stick. Also applicable is that we're also taught that anything we post anywhere can and will be used against us... and we have multiple examples of this.

There is also the computer access thing, but I'm in my company Signal shop so it tends to negate that factor.

MisterBen
06-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I got a PM that this forum was the subject of an IG investigation and was once full of civilian and girlfriend types. That there was a mass exodus at one time.

Shaken1976
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
The Army doesn't teach their folks to read until E6