PDA

View Full Version : So, what all bases have closed since the early 1990's?

jondstewart
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Just want to see how much I know or missed anything. I know I'm posting a lot, but bored and still have a week before I go back to work.

Stateside:
Loring AFB, ME
Blytheville AFB, AR
Pease AFB, NH
Plattsburgh AFB, NY
Griffis AFB, NY
Wurtsmith AFB, MI
KI Sawyer AFB, MI
Myrtle Beach AFB, SC
Chanute AFB, IL
Lowry AFB, CO
England AFB, LA
Grissom AFB, IN
Castle AFB, CA
Norton AFB, CA
McClellan AFB, CA
Williams AFB, AZ
Bergstrom AFB, TX (my hometown)
Carswell AFB, TX
Reese AFB, Tx
Webb AFB, Tx

Overseas:
Shemya AFB, AK
King Salmon AFB, AK (I've worked out there as a civilian)
Clear AFB, AK
Galena AFB, AK (first post-military job worked here, totally unremarkable part of the state!)
Clark AB, PI
Bittburg AB, GE
Sembach AB, GE
Rhein-Main AB, GE
Torrejon AB, SP
Fairford AB, UK
Chicksands AB, UK
Soesterberg AB, HL
Keflavik AB, IC
Howard AFB, PN

Rainmaker
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Just want to see how much I know or missed anything. I know I'm posting a lot, but bored and still have a week before I go back to work.Stateside:
Loring AFB, ME
Blytheville AFB, AR
Pease AFB, NH
Plattsburgh AFB, NY
Griffis AFB, NY
Wurtsmith AFB, MI
KI Sawyer AFB, MI
Myrtle Beach AFB, SC
Chanute AFB, IL
Lowry AFB, CO
England AFB, LA
Grissom AFB, IN
Castle AFB, CA
Norton AFB, CA
McClellan AFB, CA
Williams AFB, AZ
Carswell AFB, TX
Reese AFB, Tx
Webb AFB, Tx

Overseas:
Shemya AFB, AK
Clear AFB, AK
Galena AFB, AK (first post-military job worked here, totally unremarkable part of the state!)
Clark AB, PI
Bittburg AB, GE
Sembach AB, GE
Rhein-Main AB, GE
Torrejon AB, SP
Fairford AB, UK
Chicksands AB, UK
Soesterberg AB, HL
Keflavik AB, IC
Howard AFB, PN

Listen Leibowitz. Rainmaker know what you be about. Just Cause a Muhfugga post on the same board as me don't mean we gotta be friends. Nomsayin??!

LogDog
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Just want to see how much I know or missed anything. I know I'm posting a lot, but bored and still have a week before I go back to work.

Stateside:
Loring AFB, ME
Blytheville AFB, AR
Pease AFB, NH
Plattsburgh AFB, NY
Griffis AFB, NY
Wurtsmith AFB, MI
KI Sawyer AFB, MI
Myrtle Beach AFB, SC
Chanute AFB, IL
Lowry AFB, CO
England AFB, LA
Grissom AFB, IN
Castle AFB, CA
Norton AFB, CA
McClellan AFB, CA
Williams AFB, AZ
Carswell AFB, TX
Reese AFB, Tx
Webb AFB, Tx

Overseas:
Shemya AFB, AK
Clear AFB, AK
Clark AB, PI
Bittburg AB, GE
Sembach AB, GE
Rhein-Main AB, GE
Torrejon AB, SP
Fairford AB, UK
Chicksands AB, UK
Soesterberg AB, HL
Keflavik AB, IC
Howard AFB, PN
Stateside, Mather AFB closed.
Overseas: Bitburg's operations closed but the hospital, BX, Commissary, and housing side of the base remained open and under Spangdhlem control.

FLAPS
02-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Zweibrucken AB, GE
Hahn AB, GE
Zaragoza AB, Spain

LogDog
02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Zweibrucken AB, GE
Hahn AB, GE
Zaragoza AB, Spain
Hahn AB was probably the one that deserved to be closed. I was stationed there from 1984 - 1986 and it was known as the "Suicide capital of the AF". Shortly after you arrived there you learn that Chuck Yeager was a former base commander and as those stationed there said "Hahn was messed up when Yeager was here and it's still messed up".

Capt Alfredo
02-15-2013, 11:28 PM
I passed through Hahn on the rotator last year and it looked like the set of a Cold War-era Zombie Apocalypse film. Those caved-in dorms looked positively Soviet.

FLAPS
02-15-2013, 11:57 PM
I passed through Hahn on the rotator last year and it looked like the set of a Cold War-era Zombie Apocalypse film. Those caved-in dorms looked positively Soviet.

I was working the flightline at Ramstein when Hahn closed and the guys who PCS'd from there used to refer to it as "VietHahn." I don't know which base crashed more F-16s at that time, Hahn or MacDill. Even MacDill used to have a saying about their F-16 crashes..."One a Day in Tampa Bay."

KellyinAvon
02-16-2013, 12:03 AM

Positively Soviet? :thumb I like it!

KellyinAvon
02-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Don't forget no-hope Pope is Pope Field now.

Chief_KO
02-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Suwon, Taegu, KwangJu in Korea

grimreaper
02-16-2013, 01:42 AM

Hickam is back to Hickam Field as well.

Mr. Happy
02-16-2013, 03:25 AM
George AFB, CA
March AFB, CA (as an active duty base)
Homestead AFB, FL (as an active duty base)

I bet if you would had counted all the Air Force bases combined in California back in those days, they would had rated as one of the top 5 largest Air Forces in the world.

RAF Bentwaters
RAF Woodbridge
RAF Upper Heyford
RAF Alconbury (at least as a flying mission base)
The one base in Greece (can't remember the spelling of that one)
Pirincilik AS, Turkey

jondstewart
02-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Listen Leibowitz. Rainmaker know what you be about. Just Cause a Muhfugga post on the same board as me don't mean we gotta be friends. Nomsayin??!

?!?!?!?!?!

jondstewart
02-16-2013, 04:15 AM

Holy crap, you mean Pope has been turned over to the Army? It's going to look all ratty like Bragg and Fayettenam now!

BRUWIN
02-16-2013, 04:30 AM
Don't forget Chanute AFB...my first tech school was at Chanute. Chanute is where elite airmen went after basic training

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Iraklion AS, Greece
San Vito AS, Italy
RAF Chicksands, UK
Bad Abling Stn, Germany

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Don't forget Chanute AFB...my first tech school was at Chanute. Chanute is where elite airmen went after basic training

Did you guys carry the green Lackland lasers at Chanute or did you guys get issued red Chanute lasers?

jondstewart
02-17-2013, 05:33 AM
George AFB, CA
March AFB, CA (as an active duty base)
Homestead AFB, FL (as an active duty base)

I bet if you would had counted all the Air Force bases combined in California back in those days, they would had rated as one of the top 5 largest Air Forces in the world.

RAF Bentwaters
RAF Woodbridge
RAF Upper Heyford
RAF Alconbury (at least as a flying mission base)
The one base in Greece (can't remember the spelling of that one)
Pirincilik AS, Turkey

Don't know how I forgot Homestead after what happened The one in Greece was called Araxis, I think. Also, is Izmir still open? I knew a Services troop in the early 2000's that had been stationed at Izmir and Columbus AFB, Mississippi his whole career. Talk about an odd combination, not to mention small!

giggawatt
02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Sembach is now under control of the Army. It is now Sembach Kaserne.
The USAFE band now occupies the old Nightingale theater on Ramstein.
The 435th CRG now resides in a multi-million dollar sweet complex on the south side of Ramstein along with 1st Combat Comm.
The 21st OWS now resides at Kapaun AS.

A lot of Army functions that were at Mannheim are now at Sembach.

BISSBOSS
02-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Did anyone mention Soesterberg Air Base (AKA Camp New Amsterdam)???

BISSBOSS
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Also:

RAF Greenham Common

-BB-

BRUWIN
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Did you guys carry the green Lackland lasers at Chanute or did you guys get issued red Chanute lasers?

The only thing I carried around at Chanute were my bitches.

Barberakb
02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Carswell AFB, TX isn't closed, it's just a joint base now.

GoatDriver57
02-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Did anyone mention PR's AFB? Was that Rammie, Rammy, before or after '90s?

swansong
02-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Comiso AS, Sicily

raider8169
02-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Hopefully in 2015 we will get another list. I sorta like that bases are closing down. Hopefully that means we are saving money and can get back to wasting tax dollars on things I actually get to use.

Robert F. Dorr
02-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Did anyone mention PR's AFB? Was that Rammie, Rammy, before or after '90s?

Are there really people associated with the Air Force who bask in such appalling ignorance that they do not know the name of Lt., Gen. Roger Ramey? Are they the same people who complain about the Air Force not having any traditions? Are they the same people who claim I don't recognize Air Force abbreviations (when in truth the recognition problem involves the writer's intent). How is this possible?

ttribe
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Lighten up Bob. Damn near every base we have is named after someone. We only learn who that might be if we are actually stationed at the base. Other than that, if the name isn't in the PFE, it isn't worth knowing.

GoatDriver57
02-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Are there really people associated with the Air Force who bask in such appalling ignorance that they do not know the name of Lt., Gen. Roger Ramey? Are they the same people who complain about the Air Force not having any traditions? Are they the same people who claim I don't recognize Air Force abbreviations (when in truth the recognition problem involves the writer's intent). How is this possible?

There you go again RFD, as you know you are good at on this site, derailing the topic to razz the poster and elevate your brilliance in the faces of the ones that may slide you along toward a milestone goal.

Did you mean to call approx most of the readers, posters on this AF forum, appalling ignorant for not memorizing the AFB PR was named after, because of???? Can you recite the AF Creed?

Get a life, do what you do best, compilation of others comments, experiences, opinions, speculations, and a few pics, slap a document title, call it another RFD's work OR you could do something different as maybe, generate work of your own, origination. Due with all respect, this isn't your forum, go find the rock you were under during the '60s-'90s. :rolleyes:

imported_chipotleboy
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM

The base in Puerto Rico was named after BG HOWARD KNOX RAMEY, not Lt Gen Roger Ramey who was associated with the Roswell Incident.

What was that you were saying about us yung'uns not knowing our history?

GoatDriver57
02-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks 'chipotieboy' for the bullet of AF history. Good post. I understand how the Roswell Ramey could have easily come to the top if one was still wearing a foil cap, things happen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Col Ramey was promoted to brigadier general on 17 Sept 1942. On 26 March 1943, BG Ramey took off from Port Moresby in the B-17 Flying Fortress #41-24384, "Pluto", to carry out a scheduled seven-hour reconnaissance flight of Merauke and Horn Island. A message from the radio operator twenty minutes after take-off was the last that was ever heard from the aircraft. An extensive air search was conducted but no sign was found of the aircraft or the twelve men on board.[9] Ramey was declared dead on 19 Nov 1945.[1] He left behind a wife and two daughters.[10] Ramey Air Force Base in Puerto Rico was named in his Honor. ~~~~~ RIP Gen Ramey. Thanks.

Robert F. Dorr
03-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Lighten up Bob. Damn near every base we have is named after someone. We only learn who that might be if we are actually stationed at the base. Other than that, if the name isn't in the PFE, it isn't worth knowing.

Wouldn't expect you to know most of the people after whom Air Force bases are named. Would expect most airmen to recognize a few of the most important figures in Air Force history. Too much to hope for, I suppose. Like expecting an employee at Lockheed Martin to recognize the names of the Loughead brothers or of Glenn L. Martin. You say a lot about America today when you say that if it isn't in the PFE it isn't worth knowing. That speaks volumes.

Rainmaker
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't expect you to know most of the people after whom Air Force bases are named. Would expect most airmen to recognize a few of the most important figures in Air Force history. Too much to hope for, I suppose. Like expecting an employee at Lockheed Martin to recognize the names of the Loughead brothers or of Glenn L. Martin. You say a lot about America today when you say that if it isn't in the PFE it isn't worth knowing. That speaks volumes.

Don't know much about a science book. Don't know much about the french I took....

Greg
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't know much about a science book. Don't know much about the french I took....

Rainmaker listens to Paul Simon?

BENDER56
03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Rainmaker listens to Paul Simon?

Please.

Sam Cooke.

Not sure if Paul Simon ever even recorded a verion of it. Art Garfunkel might have, though.

RobotChicken
03-12-2013, 08:16 PM
:plane Ramey AFB, used to play golf there when B-52's were landing over our heads. Was down there in '71 when they were deactivating the base,turning most of it over to the PR govt,the 'Coast Guard' taking a piece,in '73. I always felt it was THE Best AFB in the world,clean,uncluttered,just beautiful,well maintained and operated. :thumb

Pullinteeth
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM

You expect us to know an obscure BG when you confused him with another LG?

loggie94
03-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Just travelled through last year as well and thought the same thing. What a great location for a movie set. Some downright scary buildings...throw in a bit of early morning fog...scary lookin' place.

LogDog
03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Just travelled through last year as well and thought the same thing. What a great location for a movie set. Some downright scary buildings...throw in a bit of early morning fog...scary lookin' place.
You think Hahn looks scary now, you should have seen it when it was open. I was stationed there from 84-86 and it was the most depressing looking base I've ever seen. Everything painted in USAFE brown, about 3 street lamps on the entire base giving the base an eerie feel at night, and a cloud literally over the base 363 days a year. Back then it was known as the "Suicide Capital of the AF".

Pullinteeth
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM

I thought it looked GREAT when I got there....course it had been 6 months and some change since I had seen a beer...