PDA

View Full Version : The F-35 must be the miracle jet!

AF Comm Guy
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
This plane can lose an entire engine and still stay in the air!

www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/02/16/House-Kills-F-35-Jet-Engine-Backed-by-Boehner.aspx#page1

Amazingly, even our congress critters get one right from time to time.

Robert F. Dorr
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Does this qualify as necroposting, even though it was created today? The idea of having two engines types available for the F-35 Lightning II was a good one. It worked well with the F-16 Fighting Falcon. Some very good people were working on the Rolls-Royce/General Electric engine as an alternative to the Pratt & Whitney design. But the second engine was killed almost two years ago and this is ancient news. There is plenty of more recent F-35 news to be frustrated about.

AF Comm Guy
01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Curse you and your meticulous eye for detail! Now I'll have to go spank the wife for showing me that article.

RobotChicken
01-21-2013, 07:55 AM
:deadhorse F-35 is a flying brick,only good 4 NASCAR and RET. flag officers excuse for wasting air and space. :puke

seatmech2412
01-22-2013, 08:15 AM
What excuse do you have for calling it a flying brick? It is still in the test and evaluation stages of development.........

BRUWIN
01-22-2013, 08:23 AM
It is still in the test and evaluation stages of development.........

Thganks to numerous acquisition screwups all "test and evaluation" means is finding numerous faults that were hidden in an effort to purchase the airplane before the government could be made aware.

seatmech2412
01-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Thganks to numerous acquisition screwups all "test and evaluation" means is finding numerous faults that were hidden in an effort to purchase the airplane before the government could be made aware.

Well yeah...... thats the point of T&E...... to find the faults and point them out to the vendor so they can fix them......

Robert F. Dorr
01-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Once upon a time, they tested an airplane before putting it into production. Let's hope they can shake the vibration out of the F-35's helmet-mounted cueing sight. It's the only modern fighter without a physical head-up display.

BRUWIN
01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Well yeah...... thats the point of T&E...... to find the faults and point them out to the vendor so they can fix them......

Fix them? Or add flight restrictions to them?

Robert F. Dorr
01-22-2013, 02:00 PM

No one has provided a satisfactory justification for concurrency, the practice of testing an aircraft whilst simultaneously putting it into service. Every new aircraft has teething troubles but the F-35 Lightning II has far more problems than any new aircraft should have. Just this past week, there's a new round of troubles with the Marine Corps F-35B version. When can we expect good news about this airplane?

imported_chipotleboy
01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Does this qualify as necroposting, even though it was created today? The idea of having two engines types available for the F-35 Lightning II was a good one. It worked well with the F-16 Fighting Falcon. Some very good people were working on the Rolls-Royce/General Electric engine as an alternative to the Pratt & Whitney design. But the second engine was killed almost two years ago and this is ancient news. There is plenty of more recent F-35 news to be frustrated about.

I thought it was disingenuous for General Loh to write an opinion piece recommending killing the alternate F-35 engine, considering that when he was a 3-star, he oversaw the very successful F-16/F-15 alternate fighter engine program. But then again, he was drawing a paycheck from Pratt & Whitney...

Robert F. Dorr
01-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I thought it was disingenuous for General Loh to write an opinion piece recommending killing the alternate F-35 engine, considering that when he was a 3-star, he oversaw the very successful F-16/F-15 alternate fighter engine program. But then again, he was drawing a paycheck from Pratt & Whitney...

Agreed. There are, or were, general officers employed on both sides of the argument and all supported the views of their employers. I'm not sure "disingenuous" is strong enough. The question I asked a couple of posts ago was meant to encourage a serious response from someone: when are we going to hear good news about the F-35 aircraft?

Silverback15
01-22-2013, 07:09 PM
It better be a miracle aircraft, the Marines have put all their eggs in that basket. When's the last time they bought a new attack aircraft? F-18D's and AV-8C's in the 90's?

Robert F. Dorr
01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
It better be a miracle aircraft, the Marines have put all their eggs in that basket. When's the last time they bought a new attack aircraft? F-18D's and AV-8C's in the 90's?

The Marine Corps intentionally gave a pass to the F-14 Tomcat and later to the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. Even when they were giving a high priority to the AV-8A Harrier in the 1970s and the AV-8B Harrier II in the 1990s (the AV-8C was a one-of-a-kind variation), the Marines always had a fallback, namely the F/A-18C Hornet and F/A-18D Night Attack Hornet, which they've used brilliantly. This time around, neither the Marines nor the British have a Plan B.

imported_chipotleboy
01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
No one has provided a satisfactory justification for concurrency, the practice of testing an aircraft whilst simultaneously putting it into service. Every new aircraft has teething troubles but the F-35 Lightning II has far more problems than any new aircraft should have. Just this past week, there's a new round of troubles with the Marine Corps F-35B version. When can we expect good news about this airplane?

Wasn't this also done with the B-2?

Quixotic
03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
when are we going to hear good news about the F-35 aircraft?

I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still waiting for the Peacock, sorry, Osprey, to get out of its growing pains and live up to its promises.

RobotChicken
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japans-military-chief-says-f-35-best-fighter-125455472.html
:spy China was also invited 'in' the R&D' of the Sukhoi-50 but declined to develop their own A/C; their jet engine R&D is well underway' which has been a major hindrance of air frame development in their country. Their new jet military transport is evidence enough; after we flew in USAF C-17's with assistance they took notice. Mr. Dorr??? :plane