PDA

View Full Version : New Military Girlfriend

mamberruns
01-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Hey,
My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year and a half, and is currently at BMT right now. He'll graduate in about three weeks or so and I get to see him then. I was told that forums are a good thing to join because of the support there, so I did. We both are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(commonly called Mormons, or LDS). We're planning on marriage- because we make each other happy. He supports me while I'm at school and I support him while he's at BMT(and the next steps for his career) through letters, those once a week hone calls and then as he moves on we'll get our live figured out more.

CrustySMSgt
01-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Welcome and good luck! Hope it all works out for you!

justlaura
01-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Hello and welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good start and taking everything one step at a time. And those letters will be so nice to show to the grandchildren someday. :) Best of luck to you both!

RS6405
01-18-2013, 02:47 AM
:welcome to MTF

aaudet
06-10-2013, 12:52 AM
I'm a new military girlfriend as well. My boyfriend is currently at boot camp at the moment, & we have been communication through letters. I have been sending in something in the mail everyday so that he has something to look forward to and I know that I will get something once a week. He is currently graduating at the end of the month & I am going to be traveling with his mom and little brother to great lakes for his graduation. I don't know what to expect, I know that i am going to be really excited to see him. Then he's off to A-school the next day. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to expect through this whole process? I want to be as supportive as I can for him. Yes, like most other couples we are deeply in love both at the age of 24, we are in the process of deciding weather it would be easiest to get married, so that i can travel where he goes, so that I can help support him through this time.

RS6405
06-10-2013, 02:03 AM
aaudet :welcome hope you enjoy it here.

General tips:

Read the girlfriends/ wives threads here, they all offer great info as well as the official websites for your BF's branch.

Especially read about tips/ do's and don'ts for girlfriends while on base. Be careful of your actions because they could reflect back on him, and more recently you could find yourself/ your conduct "mention" on one of a dozen Facebook/twitter sites. Overly Sensitive Military Wife is my fave on FB and a funny read about what NOT to do.

Regardless, find a life/ career/goals for yourself beyond being a GF or future wife of someone who serves. It will bring balance to the relationship and it makes for a stronger relationship.

Good luck!

chloeserps
06-11-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm new too! my boyfriend hasnn't even left yet and im so scared when he does. i dont want to show him how sad I am, so hopefully by talking to people with similar situations can help me! i hope it helps you too!

RS6405
06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm new too! my boyfriend hasnn't even left yet and im so scared when he does. i dont want to show him how sad I am, so hopefully by talking to people with similar situations can help me! i hope it helps you too!

:welcome. To MTF. The best thing to do is start reading up on information so you are not in the dark about what is going on. There are not many active girlfriends here on MTF like before. The section always has visitors reading the info, which I think is priceless, but very few new posts. I'm the "token" girlfriend here, since that is how I came to MTF, and try to help the new GF's who post. Ironically it's been so long that many of the regular members forget (or never realized)that fact. :noidea

An alternative for you is to consider other sites that have more active girlfriends/wives participation. Yet, the best method is to build a support system in real life. Regardless there is a wealth of info here that is not available on most active sites because it gets buried under other posts and/ or those sites never had the male perspective. So please stick around.

Good luck!

:becky RS6405

LadyPeters19
06-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I just recently got on this forum and I will be soon to be a military girlfriend my boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years
We are high school sweethearts and an interracial couple.he is going through his process right now but most likely he'll be leaving for basic traing in july or august he wants to be combat engineer in the army reserves he did tell he would have to do some active duty time I'm scared for him but Im going to be strong for him and support him to the fullest

RS6405
06-15-2013, 01:22 AM
:welcome LadyPeters

marinegfmurphy
06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
I know how you feel. I have been dating my boyfriend for almost 2 years and he is gone for the next 3 weeks and can have no contact with me at all. I know 3 weeks doesn't seem like long...but it feels long. He also has a young daughter by someone else whom I have grown attached to and I cannot even see her while he is gone because of how the mother is. Does it ever get easier? I hate waking up alone and falling asleep without even getting to hear his voice. I feel like I am just totally lost all the time without him here :-(

RS6405
06-22-2013, 12:37 AM
:welcome marinegfmurphy. It's not easy dating someone who serves, and you should expect this routine absence to continue. Best thing for you to do is figure out how to have a life beyond waiting for his return. Stay busy, work on your education or take up a hobby or volunteer for extra shifts at work. There's really great advice through out these threads. Don't be surprised if it doesn't seem to apply to you now, it might in the future.

Good luck!

RS6405

Vrake
06-22-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm a new military girlfriend as well. My boyfriend is currently at boot camp at the moment, & we have been communication through letters. I have been sending in something in the mail everyday so that he has something to look forward to and I know that I will get something once a week. He is currently graduating at the end of the month & I am going to be traveling with his mom and little brother to great lakes for his graduation. I don't know what to expect, I know that i am going to be really excited to see him. Then he's off to A-school the next day. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to expect through this whole process? I want to be as supportive as I can for him. Yes, like most other couples we are deeply in love both at the age of 24, we are in the process of deciding weather it would be easiest to get married, so that i can travel where he goes, so that I can help support him through this time.

Since you said Great Lakes I know you have a Squid.. I could write volumes but I will try to keep it shortish...

Right now he is learning everything that is Navy and how to adapt to the military environment. He will be different when you see him again but that is a good thing as he will have the tools he needs to move forward in the Navy.

Then he will be thrown into training that may or not kick his butt depending on whatever rating he will be. That in itself will stress him out along with not knowing where he will end up. He may be on a ship or land based overseas.

Right now while everything is undecided what you can do for him is support him. Be there for him.
Be a sounding board even if you don't know what he is talking about. And if you do get married be prepared to live all over the world or wait when he is away for 10 months at a time when he is at sea.It is a drastic change from the norm but it can be a lot of fun as well.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

USMC0341
06-22-2013, 02:27 AM
:welcome marinegfmurphy. It's not easy dating someone who serves, and you should expect this routine absence to continue. Best thing for you to do is figure out how to have a life beyond waiting for his return. Stay busy, work on your education or take up a hobby or volunteer for extra shifts at work. There's really great advice through out these threads. Don't be surprised if it doesn't seem to apply to you now, it might in the future.

Good luck!

RS6405

I'm pretty sure he's at summer camp...

HIC1322
07-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm dating a Marine who is currently IRR... welcome! :)

I'm new as well but hope this site can shed some light... his family is a great support system outside of this but the info is priceless... new register & dealing w/some issues related to his PTSD so waiting to post about that.

Anyway, hello! :)

Leah3388
07-17-2013, 06:10 AM
That sounds great! Im new to dating a military man so reading your post really was nice to see. Good luck with everything!