PDA

View Full Version : New Spouse Looking for advice

NavyWife619
01-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi I'm Ashley. My fiance and I are getting married on the 29th of this month. We are very excited but I'm curious as to how the BAH is going to work. He is an E3 and I am being cut out of my family, meaning I am walking away with $400 in my account. Sad, I know, but we are curious as to how we are supposed to go about explaining the BAH process to our prospective property manager. We are aware of the advance BAH and we are planning on applying for it to handle our security deposit as well as 1st month's rent. Is there anything else I should know about the process to further explain it? I know we are getting BAH back-paid to the date of our marriage, but how long should I expect it to take for BAH to actually kick in?

Also any advice would be appreciated as my future husband is applying to transfer to SWCC. If someone has been through it, I would be very appreciative of any tips on keeping communication open?

raider8169
01-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Once he claims you as a dependent the BAH will kick in. It is not a long process but everything needs to be done right. I got married a long time ago but I thought the first part was to take the marriage certificate to the MPF. Ask your hustband to speak with his first shirt about it. Normally they have a checklist or something to help the process.

As for BAH, does he currently live in the dorms? You can look up what your BAH should be once everything is said and done but it may be a bit before you start seeing the money. I hope you guys have been saving and planning for this. Rushing is only going to make things harder. Also, look into base housing it may be easier.

CrustySMSgt
01-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Your property manager doesn't need to know about BAH and isn't likely to care about your problems. When you sign the contract, they will want their money; until then, you're on your own. If he can get an advance to cover the costs, great, but that has nothing to do with the property manager.

Any property manager who's been doing it any amount of time will have learned long ago that cash talks and BS walks... they aren't going to allow you to sign a lease or move in without payment. While you'll find folks sympathetic to your situation, the process takes time and is what it is, so don't get your hopes up that everything will fall in line and you'll have your BAH on 1 Feb and be in a new place.

Sorry to be so negative, but it is what it is. Have him get with his unit, see what they can do to help work the process as quickly as it can be worked and be ready to have to wait a month to get the BAH started.

Best of luck to y'all!

Assaultdog0351
04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
BAH will kick in as soon as IPAC can verify that you have a current pay stub from in the vicinity of your current residence (proof of residency required).