PDA

View Full Version : Well after 33 years I am done (PT casualty)

WCS
01-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Wow it’s been a long long ride but after my 4th fail that’s it for me

I joined AD in July 1980 man that was a long long time ago.

Even after all these years my 2 years turning and burning at RAF Bentwaters was a high point (I even crewed for the 3rd AF commander one time)

Another memorable time was at Balad when a mortar flew over the C130 as we walked to the plane on the last day, we had to turn around and run for the pax terminal with mortars flying over head leaving curly cue contrails and making a warbling sound.

I was thinking about that when my current commander said if he can’t trust me to pass my PT test he can’t trust me to work on our Aircraft.

I sort of groveled when I asked if I could be allowed to retire and leave with a Honorable and some dignity instead of Him taking a stripe (I will get to retire as a MSgt since I am high one but if they take a stripe it would be for cause and I would retire at a lower rank)

So I am done
I am an ART so I won’t get much of a retirement but hey that’s the way the ball bounces

WCS

Blue Warrior
01-14-2013, 09:30 AM
I was thinking about that when my current commander said if he can’t trust me to pass my PT test he can’t trust me to work on our Aircraft.

He really said that? Wow. So for the first approx 24 years of your career (before PT started) the AF trusted you just fine. I can imagine the Delta Airlines CEO trying to make that correlation between his mechanics' fitness and job performance..."well, here at Delta IF we did have a PT test, then obviously I would not be able to trust my mechanics to fix the jets if they couldn't pass the test."

Pure silliness.

technomage1
01-14-2013, 09:33 AM
That's a shame. Hopefully you gave it your all to pass so at least you will have no regrets about trying harder later.

PT is the only thing that matter now, sadly enough.

WCS
01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
no regrets, back in the early 90's I was into bodybuilding and I always admired those retirees that went to the gym every day to work out, I hope to start up again after I go I am not saying I will but I used to really like lifting weights.

WCS

Pullinteeth
01-14-2013, 07:24 PM
The Guard doesn't make you retire after 33 years anyway?

Thank you for your service...sounds like you had a good career... Wish you the best.

raider8169
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Im sorry to hear it ended this way. Still thanks for your service. Your PT score does not reflect if you served honorably or not.

Uncle-Sugar
01-14-2013, 10:40 PM
WCS,

Thank you for being part of the 2% that has stepped forward to help protect and defend the homeland. Unfortunately, the Air Force is more concerned about PT than they are MSN Reliability Rates. Don't worry, Big Blue is painting themselves into a huge corner and will suffer huge consequences down the road. Best of luck in your future endeavors :bump2

Banned
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
I only have 25 years to go!

Robert F. Dorr
01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow it’s been a long long ride but after my 4th fail that’s it for me

I joined AD in July 1980 man that was a long long time ago.

Even after all these years my 2 years turning and burning at RAF Bentwaters was a high point (I even crewed for the 3rd AF commander one time)

Another memorable time was at Balad when a mortar flew over the C130 as we walked to the plane on the last day, we had to turn around and run for the pax terminal with mortars flying over head leaving curly cue contrails and making a warbling sound.

I sort of groveled when I asked if I could be allowed to retire and leave with a Honorable and some dignity instead of Him taking a stripe (I will get to retire as a MSgt since I am high one but if they take a stripe it would be for cause and I would retire at a lower rank)

So I am done
I am an ART so I won’t get much of a retirement but hey that’s the way the ball bounces

WCS

Thanks for your many contributions. Let me know if you think your story would be of interest to others and, if so, whether you would be willing to be quoted by name.

WCS
01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I've been hot and heavy working on my retirement.
Mr. Dorr, feel free to quote me but my story is not that big of a deal.

WCS

LFAWes
06-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Good job WCS
I just went over 32 years and I am also done. Finally got out of the ART program. And into a straight Federal civilian job.

Now if I could just get them to sign my retirement paperwork. Im good to go.

WCS
08-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Cool-- congrats on the new Job and thanks for your many years of service

WCS

Good job WCS
I just went over 32 years and I am also done. Finally got out of the ART program. And into a straight Federal civilian job.

Now if I could just get them to sign my retirement paperwork. Im good to go.

GoatDriver57
09-14-2013, 04:23 PM
WCS, a very sincere thanks for your 33 years of AF service of fun and tears, grief, sweat, PC adjustments, more females in the shop :(, all those hours standing in the weather waiting for the base shuttle.

Have you gotten with Mr. Dorr and mustered up a story of your run? Which acft love is your best. Maybe you did time withus at Cannon on the 1-11s?

WCS
09-15-2013, 10:54 AM
WCS, a very sincere thanks for your 33 years of AF service of fun and tears, grief, sweat, PC adjustments, more females in the shop :(, all those hours standing in the weather waiting for the base shuttle.

Have you gotten with Mr. Dorr and mustered up a story of your run? Which acft love is your best. Maybe you did time withus at Cannon on the 1-11s?

Thanks and thank you for your service also
A10 is my favorite
I haven't gotten with Mr. Dorr, I sometimes think the real silent service is the Air Force.

when I was a 20 year old Airman we were forced to ride the launch truck and that meant hearing stories about Vietnam, like when the SP's stopped the VC on the golf course at Da Nang and the F4's that took off and immediately rolled in dropping bombs on base, our guys cheered from the roof top.
Stories of how the A9 could fly circles around the A10

In recent times I was told about an amazing event as I passed through Al Udeid AB in 2008
As we taxied in there was what was left of a B1 (you could put what was left of the B1 in a large dump truck) after landing we hooked up with a section super who drove us around base giving us a tour of the base and flight line.

Seems they love the B1 since they can carry a large payload and can sit on station for long periods but if they don't drop any bombs they come back and land heavy and use every bit of the runway.
this time a B1 was returning with a heavy load IFE (in flight emergency) for fuel when they landed the brakes caught fire the B1 careened off the runway and hit a cement revetment somehow during all this the crew managed to ground egress coming out the back covered with fuel and hydraulic oil. Later I was going around base I questions some bus drivers and one told my he counted 23 or 24 I forget explosions as the bombs cooked off

Just and amazing story, a story the AF would Hush up for some reason but if we told people about the real AF instead of the bullshit AF we would be less worried about PT

The next year in 2009 when I went through Al Udeid as we taxied in they made us close our window blinds (which pissed me off since there were no restrictions from 2004 to 2008 as far as I knew)

WCS

ConfusedAirman
09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your service and best of luck for your retirement. I enlisted in 1976, did 32 years (6 active AF, 1 year break, 1 year Army Guard, 2 years break, 25 years Air Guard with 23 of those as a technician). I left the technician program for a competitive service position out of frustration with what was going on with my unit at the time. Knowing the unit wouldn't keep me long as a part-timer tying up a Chief's position I retired militarily within 6 months. I still work for the Air Guard (just not my old unit) and have a few more years before punching completely.

WCS
11-27-2013, 03:45 AM
FIGMO short

raustin0017
11-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Congrats on a great career! Good luck with the transition to civilian life.

WCS
11-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks

After calling for several days about getting and out-processing checklist one guy suggested that I just go over there

I was like hey that might work

Went over and they hooked my right up ---hey go for the easy fix first.

I don't know why I forgot that ha ha

WCS
01-19-2014, 01:41 AM
well I am almost done I am in Civilian clothes

it was 1979/1980 when my hair was this long. I shaved last weak I think it was the gray and not the length that bothered me ha ha

The retirement process has been a night mare, all my certificates say TSgt only my retirement order says MSgt (the whole reason for my retirement was to preserve my MSgt)

after a lot of searching I finally found the info:

10 U.S. Code § 8963 - Highest grade held satisfactorily: Reserve enlisted members reduced in grade not as a result of the member’s misconduct

Current through Pub. L. 113-65. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

US Code
Notes
Updates
prev | next

(a) A Reserve enlisted member of the Air Force described in subsection (b) who is retired under section 8914 of this title shall be retired in the highest enlisted grade in which the member served on active duty satisfactorily (or, in the case of a member of the National Guard, in which the member served on full-time National Guard duty satisfactorily), as determined by the Secretary of the Air Force.

(b) This section applies to a Reserve enlisted member who—
(1) at the time of retirement is serving on active duty (or, in the case of a member of the National Guard, on full-time National Guard duty) in a grade lower than the highest enlisted grade held by the member while on active duty (or full-time National Guard duty); and

(2) was previously administratively reduced in grade not as a result of the member’s own misconduct, as determined by the Secretary of the Air Force.

(c) This section applies with respect to Reserve enlisted members who are retired under section 8914 of this title after September 30, 1996.

in case any active duty looks at this Air Guard don't test for stripes (I know) its based on slots and promotion boards so I moved to another State and that shop only had TSgt (later reduced to SSgt) so I agreed to go down to TSgt.

anyway the AFI on page 67 and 68 says the same as US code

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-3203/afi36-3203.pdf

Its going to be a battle to get everything changed

GoatDriver57
01-19-2014, 02:23 AM
WCS, again thanks for your many years being an AD one. Who knows, the way our King is turning into a loose cannon, flipping this country, he may have you TDY in central Africa or Somalia before mid year. Easily making E7 before you get to 57 is not uncommon these days in the ANG.

WCS
01-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks, my old unit has already gone to Africa I wish I could have gone with them

What a mess--- I don't know why they could not follow the AFI

WCS