PDA

View Full Version : MCPON’s message

CommunityEditor
11-14-2012, 04:53 PM
MCPON to chiefs: Focus on better discipline

By Mark D. Faram - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Nov 14, 2012 11:02:38 EST

He’s only been on the job for a month, but Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (AW/NAC) Mike Stevens already has a strong message to chief petty officers:You’ve got to focus harder on maintaining good order and discipline . . . Read the rest of the story here (http://www.navytimes.com/prime/2012/11/PRIME-navy-mcpon-to-chiefs-focus-on-better-discipline-111211w/).

Will a focus on good order and discipline save the fleet?

Rusty Jones
11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
I can't read the whole article, but I must say that I don't think that Chiefs are doing a bad job of this at all. That is, when they're handling it themselves.

The problem is delegating and trusting PO1's and PO2's to do it. The LCPO needs to be representing his division in departmental affairs and taking care of things on that level, while the LPO runs day-to-day operations in the shop. This isn't what's happening today. It's almost like we need to return back to the 1950's, where NO E-6 and below wore chevrons on their dungarees.

Vrake
11-15-2012, 12:52 AM
I can't read the whole article, but I must say that I don't think that Chiefs are doing a bad job of this at all. That is, when they're handling it themselves.

The problem is delegating and trusting PO1's and PO2's to do it. The LCPO needs to be representing his division in departmental affairs and taking care of things on that level, while the LPO runs day-to-day operations in the shop. This isn't what's happening today. It's almost like we need to return back to the 1950's, where NO E-6 and below wore chevrons on their dungarees.

Great post Rusty but unless you delegate stuff the people you are trying to grow don't learn.

Myself I like to put a 1st in charge of major stuff and keep an eye out for the project. If they are failing I step back in and show them how and show them where they went wrong, no harm no foul. The ones who have learned are the ones who come back and ask questions if they are hung up or need a pointer how to do it better. All success goes to them and all failures are on me as it should be. If I choose this path and it goes wrong it is on me.

That's how we do it in the Mess and that is what I try and teach my Sailors. No one is perfect.

AJBIGJ
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Great post Rusty but unless you delegate stuff the people you are trying to grow don't learn.

Myself I like to put a 1st in charge of major stuff and keep an eye out for the project. If they are failing I step back in and show them how and show them where they went wrong, no harm no foul. The ones who have learned are the ones who come back and ask questions if they are hung up or need a pointer how to do it better. All success goes to them and all failures are on me as it should be. If I choose this path and it goes wrong it is on me.

That's how we do it in the Mess and that is what I try and teach my Sailors. No one is perfect.

I think that's important, Chief Petty Officer is (some say was, I'd say never hasn't been) a high calling. They not only both have to look at their First Classes as potential chiefs, but also their Divo's as future department heads and Commanders along with all of the other stuff going on with the day-to-day minutiae they handle something eventually has got to give. I think the division probably "wins" on the short term when the "mentorship" role takes the hit, which is why that tends to be the thing that gets deprioritized when wrestling with an aggressive Op-tempo. However, there's no question in my mind the Navy as a whole loses every time that happens because you can ask any career officer what factors have made their lives successful and with almost 100% fidelity you will hear an answer that included strong chiefs that impacted their approach to leadership, and likewise many junior enlisted sailors who become successful themselves will often attribute their success to stronger chiefs they'd served under or with.

We love to hear ourselves get all high and mighty and say "well do both!" which sounds good in our own ears but always falls to reality when the balance is sought. Every sailor, be they officer or enlisted, should try to always remember how crucial the Chief Petty Officer ranks are in providing for the longevity of our cultural development. If you see ones that really do the job well, let them know it. I think the mess is undermined by an officer corps that seeks senior ranking enlisted puppets and junior enlisted who see the officers' perceptions of them and see the role as effectively redundant and useless. At least that worldview seems rather distressingly common in the average smoke deck conversation you hear. Rant ended...

4CECMC
06-29-2013, 03:33 AM
Question for the group? CPO continuation board held and for the first time a CMC was "not continued", what ever happened to that story? If true, did he/she sit previous continuation boards an if so, is there now an issue with those boards?