PDA

View Full Version : Fave seasonal food

RS6405
09-24-2012, 01:41 AM
I'm enjoying some fresh apple cider from the Carolinas, pressed yesterday!

I love this stuff and you cannot get it in a store.

What are some seasonal food you wait all year to enjoy?

sandsjames
09-24-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm enjoying some fresh apple cider from the Carolinas, pressed yesterday!

I love this stuff and you cannot get it in a store.

What are some seasonal food you wait all year to enjoy?

Mostly holiday foods. I know candy corn is available all year, but I stay away from it until Halloween. Thanksgiving and Christmas is stuffing. Also love the hot toddy throughout the season too.

Greg
09-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Living on the shore of one of the Great Lakes, that would be jumbo yellow perch during the fall fishing season.

During the holidays, Thanksgiving with turkey, outside stuffing, cranberries, and made from scratch pumpkin pie.

F4CrewChick
09-24-2012, 07:01 AM
The Thanksgiving theme is a good one and I really enjoy a traditional San Francisco T-Day which is all the usual fixing but we have crab instead of turkey. I also make a tofurkey every year. I don't consider myself a pescatarian, but I will eat a little shellfish a couple of times a year.2871

kool-aid
09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Pumpkin ice cream during the Harvest Festival in New Albany, IN and oyster dressing at the faamily holiday get togethers.

RS6405
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Oyster dressing…..that is one family tradition that was lost with the passing of a great aunt. Many people have tried to duplicate her recipe only to fail miserably.

The same thing with my father’s fried chicken--- no one had his recipe either.

:(

TSgt"M"
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Acorn squash with sausage stuffing baked in the cavity. Doesn't sound that good but you have to try it.

RS6405
09-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Acorn squash with sausage stuffing baked in the cavity. Doesn't sound that good but you have to try it.

Actually I think it sounds yummy... ok 1.5 hours till lunch

kool-aid
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Actually I think it sounds yummy... ok 1.5 hours till lunch

I agree, anything with meat is a winner.

AJBIGJ
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm a traditionalist I guess, good old fashioned Thanksgiving Day feast leaves me watering at the mouth. A lot of that belongs to nostalgia when I had lots of familiy members a short drive away!

Blue Warrior
09-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Egg Nog. Damn, it's good!

Shrike
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Homemade "wild" mushroom stuffing at Thanksgiving.

MACHINE666
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Homemade "wild" mushroom stuffing at Thanksgiving.

Does that include a special "herb" as part of the ingredients?

:D :D :D :D :D

Shrike
09-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Does that include a special "herb" as part of the ingredients?

:D :D :D :D :D
Going home to my folks for Thanksgiving for the first time since 1987. So maybe next year. :)

fastaviationdata
10-21-2013, 06:29 AM

I want to try this one. I feel that it is delicious. :)

Pullinteeth
10-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I was told Summer Sausage is a seasonal food???

Giant Voice
10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Does the Fair count as seasonal? Then Fair Food. Doesn't matter what...deep fried whatever.

Pullinteeth
10-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Rosettes....

Absinthe Anecdote
11-15-2013, 08:22 PM
This stuff is perfect to cook once cold weather sets in. The recipe below is from the Tabasco website and is awesome.

The roux is a little tricky to make is you've never done it before, so I suggest watching a YouTube video before trying it for the first time.

Chicken, Ham and Oyster Gumbo
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups sliced fresh okra
2 cups water
3 pounds chicken, boned and cut into large chunks
1 pound boneless smoked ham, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Original Red Sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 pint shucked oysters and their liquid
3 cups hot cooked rice

PREPARATION
Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook about 30 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux turns dark brown and develops a nutty aroma. Add green peppers, celery, onion and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add tomatoes, okra, water, chicken, ham, parsley, TABASCO® Sauce, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in oysters and simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: 404 calories, 36g protein, 35g carbohydrate, 13g fat, 113mg cholesterol, 1207mg sodium

Stalwart
07-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Today I had a lobster roll in downtown Annapolis.

Really good for a very plain thing:

fresh lobster
drawn butter poured over top
little bit of mayo
on a crusty bun

jam3h
10-20-2014, 10:26 PM
thnkss[EMBEDDED LINK REMOVED]
Actually I think it sounds yummy

RS6405
12-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Oyster stuffing. My great aunt used to make it, but no one knows her recipie.

Stalwart
12-24-2014, 11:48 PM
King Cake

We always do "breakfast for dinner" on Christmas Eve.

I always make Æbleskiver for my wife (& now daughter) on Christmas morning -- have to have the lingonberry jam with it.

We almost always have done a TurDukEn for dinner, only doing ham this year since I am working mids on Christmas Eve & the 25th ...

Merry Christmas all.

Measure Man
12-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Christmas Eve pierogies.

The Best!!

Absinthe Anecdote
12-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Well, you can’t go wrong with cocktail weenies! They taste as good as they look, and they come in this delicious red sauce. It looks like ketchup, it tastes like ketchup, but brother, it ain’t ketchup!

Capt Alfredo
12-25-2014, 05:38 PM
I always make Æbleskiver for my wife (& now daughter) on Christmas morning -- have to have the lingonberry jam with it.

That's very Danish of you...

BENDER56
12-25-2014, 05:56 PM
King Cake

We always do "breakfast for dinner" on Christmas Eve.

We almost always have done a TurDukEn for dinner, only doing ham this year since I am working mids on Christmas Eve & the 25th ...

Merry Christmas all.

Had Æbleskiver and gløgg at a Danish Christmas party when I was stationed at Thule in '01.

Man, I sure miss traveling the world on Uncle Sam's dime.

BENDER56
12-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, you can’t go wrong with cocktail weenies! They taste as good as they look, and they come in this delicious red sauce. It looks like ketchup, it tastes like ketchup, but brother, it ain’t ketchup!

Well, there can't be too many better testimonials for a food item than, "It ain't ketchup!"

BENDER56
12-25-2014, 06:01 PM
And I know someone already said it, but Egg Nog!

Egg nog is a time machine that returns me to the Christmases of my childhood.

Merry Christmas to the few of y'all who are still here at the MT Forums.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-25-2014, 06:47 PM
And I know someone already said it, but Egg Nog!

Egg nog is a time machine that returns me to the Christmases of my childhood.

Merry Christmas to the few of y'all who are still here at the MT Forums.

What kind of whiskey is good with egg nog?

Seems like some Kentucky Bourbon would go with it.

Stalwart
12-25-2014, 07:53 PM
That's very Danish of you...

The Danes do those, Norwegians & Swedish too; my family is Norwegian. My daughter particularly liked the ones with Nutella and raspberry filling.

BENDER56
12-25-2014, 11:55 PM
What kind of whiskey is good with egg nog?

Seems like some Kentucky Bourbon would go with it.

As much as I love bourbon, I don't care for it in egg nog. From my experience, the liquors that are best to mix with egg nog are brandy or rum. I tried vodka once because it's supposedly flavorless, but it was awful.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-26-2014, 11:32 AM
As much as I love bourbon, I don't care for it in egg nog. From my experience, the liquors that are best to mix with egg nog are brandy or rum. I tried vodka once because it's supposedly flavorless, but it was awful.

A spiced rum might be the right thing to spike it with.

Measure Man
12-26-2014, 02:02 PM
A spiced rum might be the right thing to spike it with.

That's what I use.