PDA

View Full Version : Way to go NAVY!!!!

BRUWIN
08-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Not to be outdone by our landing a C-17 at the wrong airport...a Navy Destroyer collides with an oil tanker in the Straight of Hormuz. OK...I'm not a Navy guy but how the hell do you not see an oil tanker coming your way? All I can think off is the skipper was female and she was reversing the boat while applying mascara in her rear view mirror.

Badger
08-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Or a senior citizen that lurched into reverse when they were trying to go forward. Old geezers do that all the time.

KellyinAvon
08-14-2012, 12:43 AM
As long as there is a "Way to go NAVY!!!!" thread,
Submarine commander sunk after allegedly faking death to end affair

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/13/sub-commander-allegedly-fakes-death-to-end-affair-is-relieved-from-duty/#ixzz23Tbp1mL6

Dude, if you're going to fake your own death (1) make it more believable than an e-mail from "Bob", and (2), make sure the chick ain't a psycho who will hunt you down.

KellyinAvon
08-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Or a senior citizen that lurched into reverse when they were trying to go forward. Old geezers do that all the time.

Was the destroyer made by Buick?

crwchf16
08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Wasn't it a Japanese tanker? Maybe a kamikaze you think?

Salty Old Dog
08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Geez, Bru.....not as if the Navy hasn't pronged bigger ships than that, in the past! ;)

BRUWIN
08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Geez, Bru.....not as if the Navy hasn't pronged bigger ships than that, in the past! ;)

I'm waiting for the day a destroyer comes crashing into the front of a convenience store and is caught on camera for Tru TV.

Greg
08-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Design a ATM machine as a destroyer and see how fast a couple of dudes with a stolen SUV and a set of chains drag that mutha down the street!

Shrike
08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Whatever man, it's not like an oil tanker is big or any- <wife shows me picture of tanker> WHOA!

Rusty Jones
08-14-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't know much about navigation, as I was never a QM or an OS.

What I do know, is that on civilian ships, the QM rating has no civilian counterparts because computers do their jobs. The Coast Guard has even gotten smart about this by making their QM's into BM's almost ten years ago.

During sea & anchor detail (navigating harbors and shallow water) on a destroy, you've got over 20 people on the bridge.

But at all times, every little turn or change in speed is being logged in a book. Why? To determine who is at fault, or where the fault was, in cases like this.

But this poses another problem - the inability to simply drive the ship away, or "drive at will." I was on a Greek ship for two days when leaving Genoa, and I was on the bridge while we were leaving the harbor. How many people were on that bridge? Three - the helmsman, the guy at the charts, and an officer who appeared to be the OOD. That was IT. There was no log book, and with the exception of the OOD telling the helmsman what to do, the helmsman was driving that ship like it was a car.

I'll bet those Greeks don't crash into things much!

jarhead dad
08-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Was the destroyer made by Buick?

Hey now I drive a Buick, and no I don't leave the turn signal on, or drive 20 mph under the posted speed.

I'd say the tanker was camouflaged with some material similar to AF Abu material. Or it was one of the new Iranian stealth tankers.

bluecyclone1
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
And then there's this guy. The Navy is definitely NOT having a good week and it's only Tuesday!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/13/13260186-report-ex-navy-sub-commander-michael-ward-ii-faked-death-to-get-out-of-affair-with-virginia-woman?lite

Rusty Jones
08-15-2012, 01:19 PM
And then there's this guy. The Navy is definitely NOT having a good week and it's only Tuesday!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/13/13260186-report-ex-navy-sub-commander-michael-ward-ii-faked-death-to-get-out-of-affair-with-virginia-woman?lite

He has a moustache / flat top combo. Fuck him.

RobotChicken
07-09-2013, 05:57 AM
He has a moustache / flat top combo. Fuck him.

"To bad he didn't have it easy and just make up an 'ALT Account' like some folks here do!" (HINT-HINT)

Roto
07-09-2013, 01:22 PM
"To bad he didn't have it easy and just make up an 'ALT Account' like some folks here do!" (HINT-HINT)

I just love how you responded to a year old thread with nothing relevant.

KellyinAvon
07-13-2013, 12:58 PM
I just love how you responded to a year old thread with nothing relevant.

Necroposting doesn't require relevance, which is a good thing around here.

technomage1
07-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Update in the Ward story. It's a few months old, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/michael-ward-affair_n_3071602.html

So apparently you can have an affair, act like a total douche, discredit the navy, and still be honorably discharged with your rank intact. Good to know.

fufu
07-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Update in the Ward story. It's a few months old, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/michael-ward-affair_n_3071602.html

So apparently you can have an affair, act like a total douche, discredit the navy, and still be honorably discharged with your rank intact. Good to know.

Different spanks for different ranks lives on.

Rusty Jones
07-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Different spanks for different ranks lives on.

Where's MPLisa? I remember him always trying to justify it.

raustin0017
07-14-2013, 12:00 AM
New Rule: No Texting while operating a ship.