PDA

View Full Version : C-17 airlifter

Robert F. Dorr
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
It appears that I'm going to be working on a book-length series of articles about the C-17 Globemaster III for a different publication (not the one that sponsors these forums).

This might be a good place to pick up insights on C-17 operations that I wouldn't find elsewhere. Not looking for information that isn't readily accessible to the public but would like to get some insights on how the C-17 is regarded.

My editor has a special interest in Air National Guard C-17 operations and would like to get insights into how maintainers, loadmasters and pilots use this aircraft and what they think of it.

Robert F. Dorr
10-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Watch for a special insert on the C-17 in the November issue of Air International.

Rizzo77
10-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I finished my Army career with 78 Jumps (exits from aircraft while in flight).

I didn't get to exit from a C-17. I hate that.

Robert F. Dorr
10-28-2012, 12:20 AM
I finished my Army career with 78 Jumps (exits from aircraft while in flight).

I didn't get to exit from a C-17.I hate that.

Made eight jumps in the civilian world. Was just as scared on the eighth as the first. Decided it wasn't for me. I'm probably the only person on this thread that made a parachute jump at Fihoanana, Madagascar.

Rizzo77
10-28-2012, 01:58 AM
I was scared on my first jump. I was scared on my 78th Jump.

I lived to tell the tale, and that's what is important.

Robert F. Dorr
11-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Watch for a book-length insert on the C-17 in the November issue of Air International magazine.

CrustySMSgt
11-12-2012, 04:42 AM
I just want to know why they picked "airlifter" for the name. Air isn't heavy at all! Something impressive like LEADLIFTER would be much cooler! :couch2

Robert F. Dorr
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
A lot of people helped me write the two-part inserts on the C-17 Globemaster III that went into the November and December issues of Air International magazine. If you're one of those, I have one or two copies of both issues that I can send you at no cost to you. You'll have to give me an address.

Robert F. Dorr
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I just want to know why they picked "airlifter" for the name. Air isn't heavy at all! Something impressive like LEADLIFTER would be much cooler! :couch2

At one time there was a move to name the C-17 the Loadmaster.

Robert F. Dorr
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
A lot of people helped me write the two-part inserts on the C-17 Globemaster III that went into the November and December issues of Air International magazine. If you're one of those, I have one or two copies of both issues that I can send you at no cost to you. You'll have to give me an address.

This is pretty much "last call" for a copy of the C-17 publication. My remaining copies will go to the Mississippi Air National Guard.

Robert F. Dorr
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
In spite of what I wrote on December 10, I see that I still have a few copies of the C-17 publication here. If anyone would like to read it, I'll be glad to send you a copy at no cost. All I need is an address.

sandsjames
03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
In spite of what I wrote on December 10, I see that I still have a few copies of the C-17 publication here. If anyone would like to read it, I'll be glad to send you a copy at no cost. All I need is an address.

You don't have an address? Are you homeless?

Pullinteeth
03-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Are they signed by the great RFD?

Robert F. Dorr
04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Are they signed by the great RFD?

They aren't because they're no longer available. I threw away about a dozen of them (sold in stores for $16 each) after using up the possibilities for people to send them to. Further details on my Facebook page.

Pullinteeth
04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
That is a bummer... The magazines are actually REALLY cool. Not sure I would fork over $16 each but...pretty darn cool.

F4CrewChick
04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
It appears that I'm going to be working on a book-length series of articles about the C-17 Globemaster III for a different publication (not the one that sponsors these forums).

This might be a good place to pick up insights on C-17 operations that I wouldn't find elsewhere. Not looking for information that isn't readily accessible to the public but would like to get some insights on how the C-17 is regarded.

My editor has a special interest in Air National Guard C-17 operations and would like to get insights into how maintainers, loadmasters and pilots use this aircraft and what they think of it.
Please don't forget CCATT! http://www.ccatt.info/

Robert F. Dorr
04-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Please don't forget CCATT! http://www.ccatt.info/

Didn't forget it. It was a crucial part of this story. I interviewed several flight nurses and other people involved in these missions. Probably the most attention they've gotten in any publication in years.