PDA

View Full Version : Majcom and unit patches

TVANSCOT
07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
In another thread about bringing things back, majcom and unit patches came up frequently. I guess I am in the minority. From the first day I joined the AF (1985) I thought they looked so "boyscoutish". The patches were exactly where my scout patches were sewn on.

My opinion, if we have to have unit patches, which I think could be a good thing, make room for them on the sleeve along with a flag patch. Obviously you would have to do something for the outrageous huge chevrons the AF has.

JD2780
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
In another thread about bringing things back, majcom and unit patches came up frequently. I guess I am in the minority. From the first day I joined the AF (1985) I thought they looked so "boyscoutish". The patches were exactly where my scout patches were sewn on.

My opinion, if we have to have unit patches, which I think could be a good thing, make room for them on the sleeve along with a flag patch. Obviously you would have to do something for the outrageous huge chevrons the AF has.

Fixed it for your.

Like army unit patches. That would make sense, but remember they cant mess with tradition. Our chevrons need to be on our sleeves. So far thats the only thing that didnt change although most of us dont care. We've lost almost all tradition already.

TVANSCOT
07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Fixed it for you.

Like army unit patches. That would make sense, but remember they cant mess with tradition. Our chevrons need to be on our sleeves. So far thats the only thing that didnt change although most of us dont care. We've lost almost all tradition already.

fixed it for you. ;)

JD2780
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
fixed it for you. ;)

OH SNAP!!!! Yup, when you act like a wise ass, somebody removes the wise, and you just act like an ass. I got owned!!

Grammar Police
07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Fixed it for you.

Like Army unit patches. That would make sense, but remember they can't mess with tradition. Our chevrons need to be on our sleeves. So far that's the only thing that didn'tchange although most of us don't care. We've lost almost all tradition already.

I've taken the liberty of fixing your post for you.

Grammar Police
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
fixed it for you. ;)

Hey! I'm working this side of the street! You're out of your jurisdiction buddy!

Penguin
07-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by JD2780
Fixed it for you.

Like Army unit patches. That would make sense, but remember they can't mess with tradition. Our chevrons need to be on our sleeves. So far that's the only thing that didn't change although most of us don't care. We've lost almost all tradition already.

Fixed that for you.

JD2780
07-09-2012, 02:29 PM

Ive ReMoVeD My CoMmA AnD APPPStroPHEY ButToN JuSt To GiVe YoU SoMeThInG ToDo.

Grammar Police
07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Fixed that for you.

Thank you, but I don't know who fixed it for me. Your sentence lacks a subject.

Kicker47
07-09-2012, 02:36 PM
The patches were exactly where my scout patches were sewn on.

In my Public Speaking class, I did a speech about the similarities between the Cub Scouts and the US military, including the uniform. You speak the truth, placement of the patches is very similar. In fact, I'm somewhat jealous of my son's scout uniform vs my ABUs.

FYI, Scouting grew out of a British military unit, so some similarities are expected.

106PADDOCK
07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
In my Public Speaking class, I did a speech about the similarities between the Cub Scouts and the US military, including the uniform. You speak the truth, placement of the patches is very similar. In fact, I'm somewhat jealous of my son's scout uniform vs my ABUs.

FYI, Scouting grew out of a British military unit, so some similarities are expected.

The Boy Scouts have adult leadership and still enforce DADT unlike the military!:juggle

ConfusedAirman
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
AF chevrons on the sleeve won't be going away but if you want outrageous, check out this early version of the Army's chevrons

http://www.moviemarket.com/library/photos/179/179543.jpg

Maybe we can start a rumor that the Army is going back to this.

FastFalkie
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
AF chevrons on the sleeve won't be going away but if you want outrageous, check out this early version of the Army's chevrons

http://www.moviemarket.com/library/photos/179/179543.jpg

Maybe we can start a rumor that the Army is going back to this.

Hey? Did you hear that the Army is going back to this?

VFFSSGT
07-09-2012, 05:47 PM

If u goin to correct some'in, the proper way would be to use the full words not contractions. :loco

Who cares about patches? It seems amazing, to me at least, how much they get talked about. There are so many real issues...patches should be the least of them.

Dawes
07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Anybody recall the McPeak uniform initiatives of the 1990's? All patches, tapes, and stripes went away and were replaced by the Aircrew Name Patch. That had a pretty short life, as nobody liked that look and people complained that enlisted rank couldn't be distinguished as easily. Seems everyone wanted their tapes and stripes back.

Patches are sure to make a comeback at some point. They always have. Same with squadron baseball caps.

Pullinteeth
10-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Anyone see any irony is the AF extolling this guy's collection of unit patches when they essentially axed unit patches for all non-flying units?

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467092/commander-patches-together-15000-piece-career.aspx

RobotChicken
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Anyone see any irony is the AF extolling this guy's collection of unit patches when they essentially axed unit patches for all non-flying units?

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467092/commander-patches-together-15000-piece-career.aspx

:spy "YES!"

20+Years
10-15-2013, 07:28 PM
So why stop with unit patches? We should get patches for qualifications. We could have one for SAPR annual training, Self Aid/Buddy Care, which weapons your qual'd on, Tafficing in persons, Cyber-security... We could call em badges and wear them on a sash.

RobotChicken
10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
:smoker2:"Walt Disney allowed all Allied forces to use his cartoon characters free of charge to speed up assembly of scattered troops on the battlefield of war. And it worked!"

Juggs
10-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Here is to the AF, getting rid of traditions for the sake of traditions.

Bunch
10-15-2013, 09:13 PM
You know how much unit and majcom patches are going to add to the federal debt!!?? No way!!

Rainmaker
10-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Das Raciss

Gonzo432
10-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Definitely, but nothing really surprises me anymore.