PDA

View Full Version : Clark AB Re-Opening?

grimreaper
06-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Thoughts? I know guys that were stationed there and they absolutely loved it.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/philippines/philippine-government-gives-ok-for-us-to-use-old-bases-newspaper-reports-1.179790

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-is-reopening-massive-philippine-military-bases-not-used-since-the-cold-war-2012-6

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/06/06/12/us-troops-can-use-clark-subic-bases

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=814442&publicationSubCategoryId=63

Airborne
06-09-2012, 09:15 PM
It would probably take a decade to restore it to its former glory. I guess for now its good to fly sorties and do some jumps/drops etc. Ive always thought that Kadena was a bad place for the AF to be, especially for AFSOC. I would crap my pants if it turned up on the permanent base list.

Nickymaz
06-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Makes perfect sense to re-open Clark. We already have a presence in the Philippines supporting their counterinsurgency in Mindanao. Plus they, like many other Asian nations, want to foster a closer relationship with the US in order to counter the rise of China.

Like Airborne said, I couldn't see it becoming a permanent base but could be deployed location.

Robert F. Dorr
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
If we have a major U.S. military presence at Clark or similar locations, let's hope for a better commander than on December 8, 1941. Also needed: the government in Manila needs to get serious about the insurgency.

DocBones
06-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Robert,

Oy, are you picking on Saint Douglas? I can't wait to see all of the Army types trying to defend him.

What gets me is how he stated that the PI was ready to fend off any attack, then his aircraft went up in flames, and subsequently, he had to sneak out to Australia, after he lost the islands to the Japanese.

When the initial shock was over, the CinC of the Hawaiin islands was busted and relieved, but your friend and mine not only got to keep his rank, he was awarded with part of the bossing of the American forces in the Pacific.

I have to hand McA this, that he had the gall to carry on to trying to get the US of A to nuke the Chinese in the Korean War!

Oh, wait a minute. That wasn't too laudatory either, was it?

My bad.

Smeghead
06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Stories I've heard about Clark wouldn't fit with today's Air Force. I foresee lengthy CBTs on LBFMs.

Robert F. Dorr
06-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Don't know what LBFMs might be. Hope they're not contagious. A lot outside the main gate at Clark was.

Venus
06-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Don't know what LBFMs might be. Hope they're not contagious. A lot outside the main gate at Clark was.

I foresee if Clark reopens will be the place Wing Commanders careers go to die, with all the self righteous CBT's moral police who run the DOD now. But on the good side I guess suicide rates will be down greatly having the services of some LBFM's around to relieve stress. A tour there will suck with GO#1 being imposed as soon as the first bar off base has hostesses that are very friendly or the first G.I. shows up to the clinic with a STD.

Robert F. Dorr
06-10-2012, 12:05 AM
I foresee if Clark reopens will be the place Wing Commanders careers go to die, with all the self righteous CBT's moral police who run the DOD now. But on the good side I guess suicide rates will be down greatly having the services of some LBFM's around to relieve stress. A tour there will suck with GO#1 being imposed as soon as the first bar off base has hostesses that are very friendly or the first G.I. shows up to the clinic with a STD.

Still don't know what CBTs or LBFMs are but I'm guessing the girls outside the main gate, who were Filipino in the past, are now from Eastern Europe. The trade in Natashas is now worldwide, so developing countries no longer need to press their own women into service. There was a time when it seemed almost everybody in the Air Force had a sexually transmitted disease: that was a different era.

Nickymaz
06-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Mr. Dorr, a CBT is a Computer Based Training. The bane of the modern air force.

On the right track for LBFM, check this out http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lbfm

Airborne
06-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Yeh, upon further thought, I wouldnt wan to be stationed there or there longer than a two week tdy. They would probably institute curfews and GO1s etc.

Shrike
06-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Still don't know what CBTs or LBFMs are but I'm guessing the girls outside the main gate, who were Filipino in the past, are now from Eastern Europe. The trade in Natashas is now worldwide, so developing countries no longer need to press their own women into service. There was a time when it seemed almost everybody in the Air Force had a sexually transmitted disease: that was a different era.
The first I repeat FIRST return on a Google search of LBFM tells you exactly what you want to know.

Rizzo77
06-10-2012, 02:31 AM
No more LBFM PBR. I knew a dude in Korea that married a chick from Koozbekistan (Russia) though.

CYBERFX1024
06-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Hell yeah supposedly they are reopening for the US to use them on a "rotational" basis like in Austrailia. But the Filipinos are happy as hell about this. Because they have been the recent victims of China, so they are scared about their raising presence in the region.

Robert F. Dorr
06-10-2012, 10:43 AM
The first I repeat FIRST return on a Google search of LBFM tells you exactly what you want to know.

It's very puzzling that I never ran into this one before. Wonder how I missed it.

giggawatt
06-10-2012, 11:37 AM

It's a damn good thing I didn't do a search for this at work!

jarhead dad
06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Stories I've heard about Clark wouldn't fit with today's Air Force. I foresee lengthy CBTs on LBFMs.

I do believe you are right. There will be a resurgence of lbmf's around the bar districts. hopefully they will not be as contagious as they were in the past!

MACHINE666
06-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Sad but true. The stories I've heard about Clark AB from vets and retirees alike blew my mind when I was a young airman, back in the early 90's. I think what made it so fun was the Cold War philosophy of "Work Hard, Play Harder", and then some! :D I saw the last remnants of this mentality at Kunsan in 1995, however by the time 2001 rolled around, the 8 FW douchebags had pretty muched killed it. If Clark were to reopen today, it would not be fun the way it should be, but just another controlled day care as a result of the Nanny-state Nazis our Air Force Managementship has become.

Oh well. At least DECA can move its headquarters over there, since most the LBFMs who work the commissaries will be back at home!

:D :D :D :D :D

tiredofpc
06-10-2012, 01:49 PM
No complaints from this Army person; always thought McA was an A@@$ole.

Orion
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM

Yep, they already ruined Korea and Japan is not too far behind.

Lang
06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
No use- If they re-probably opened Clark everyone would be restricted to the base 24-7 probably, it would not be the same as the old days. More like being at a tropical bible camp.

The PC uptight USAF management types would have a cow if they thought the GI's were going off base and having fun.

The PI had a lot to offer very cool place with great people, not only the party scean though that was fun. Travel though out SE Asia and adventure.

The old days were great but I am pretty sure that Air Force leadership of today would not have a clue about how to operate in the Philippines. And make the troops fracking miserable.

Lang
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
No use- If they re-probably opened Clark everyone would be restricted to the base 24-7 probably, it would not be the same as the old days. More like being at a tropical bible camp.

The PC uptight USAF management types would have a cow if they thought the GI's were going off base and having fun.

The PI had a lot to offer very cool place with great people, not only the party scean though that was fun. Travel though out SE Asia and adventure.

The old days were great but I am pretty sure that Air Force leadership of today would not have a clue about how to operate in the Philippines. And make the troops fracking miserable.

jond1993
06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Still don't know what CBTs or LBFMs are but I'm guessing the girls outside the main gate, who were Filipino in the past, are now from Eastern Europe. The trade in Natashas is now worldwide, so developing countries no longer need to press their own women into service.

They were still natives when I was there in 08.

VFFSSGT
06-10-2012, 10:21 PM

CBT - Computer Based Training aka Ancillary Training

In the AF...the term is mostly associated with training courses that are recurring, typically every year or every 2 years. However, we often do the same one 592 times a year because of over zealous commanders. i.e. An upcoming inspection and even though everyone is current the commander doesn't want to risk one person being due or overdue during inspection so they direct units to complete all 415 courses by X date.

We have like 20 recurring courses now...most of which are nothing but BS courses that the AF created over some single incident.

Robert F. Dorr
06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I'd like to learn a little more about Computer Based Training. VFFSSGT's post helps a lot but I still don't have a clear sense of its purpose or where it fits into the scheme of things. If this is something that's reviled throughout the Air Force, I'd like to learn a lot more.

Shrike
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I'd like to learn a little more about Computer Based Training. VFFSSGT's post helps a lot but I still don't have a clear sense of its purpose or where it fits into the scheme of things. If this is something that's reviled throughout the Air Force, I'd like to learn a lot more.

CBTs are nothing but CYA. If you have a CMI on your PC, your CC can just say "Well, SSgt Schmuckatelli did his DOD IA training so the fault is all his." Nevermind the fact that for most of the training you can just click right through them without reading a word and still get a passing score.

I did one about a month and a half ago - I can't remember which one, but I was pleased because it was my last one EVER - and I timed myself on how quickly I could click through it. Nine seconds was what it took. Now THAT'S some quality training.

Bottom line at the bottom: The USAF uses CBTs solely so that they can claim they are meeting federal requirements for training their people on things like IA, human trafficking, etc.

EDIT: Bob, I re- posted this in "your" thread so as not to take this one OT.

Bumble78
06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Bottom line at the bottom: The USAF uses CBTs solely so that they can claim they are meeting federal requirements for training their people on things like IA, human trafficking, etc.

This is incorrect, don't you remember how the suicide awarness CBT saved everyone in the Air Force a year or two ago.

And on topic, obviously the CC would not have to worry about any shenanigans as the Air Force has evolved into a mature force that would not frequent the establishments that are discussed in the filthy stories from the prior generation's debauchery.

js7799
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
CBTs are nothing but CYA. If you have a CMI on your PC, your CC can just say "Well, SSgt Schmuckatelli did his DOD IA training so the fault is all his." Nevermind the fact that for most of the training you can just click right through them without reading a word and still get a passing score.

I did one about a month and a half ago - I can't remember which one, but I was pleased because it was my last one EVER - and I timed myself on how quickly I could click through it. Nine seconds was what it took. Now THAT'S some quality training.

Bob's head just exploded.

desertguardsman
06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Okay, I'm an Army type but you won't find me defending Ceaser McArthur! I deployed with a guy from the Phillipines and he worships the guy. We argued about McArthur for twelve hours on a convoy before my buddy got mad and wouldn't speak to me for three days.

Robert,

Oy, are you picking on Saint Douglas? I can't wait to see all of the Army types trying to defend him.

What gets me is how he stated that the PI was ready to fend off any attack, then his aircraft went up in flames, and subsequently, he had to sneak out to Australia, after he lost the islands to the Japanese.

When the initial shock was over, the CinC of the Hawaiin islands was busted and relieved, but your friend and mine not only got to keep his rank, he was awarded with part of the bossing of the American forces in the Pacific.

I have to hand McA this, that he had the gall to carry on to trying to get the US of A to nuke the Chinese in the Korean War!

Oh, wait a minute. That wasn't too laudatory either, was it?

My bad.

ttribe
06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
If anything this will help replenish the aging and diminishing Asian wife mafia that pretty much had a lock on most base service jobs in the 70's and 80's. Barbers, cook, bowling alley, club bartenders and waitress's you name it they had the jobs. The Queen Capo of them all ran the baggers at the commisarys worldwide.

Robert F. Dorr
06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
If anything this will help replenish the aging and diminishing Asian wife mafia that pretty much had a lock on most base service jobs in the 70's and 80's. Barbers, cook, bowling alley, club bartenders and waitress's you name it they had the jobs. The Queen Capo of them all ran the baggers at the commisarys worldwide.

I guess Korea isn't supplying as many as it once did, partly due to the Natashas replacing Miss Suck and her colleagues.

AF Chief
06-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Man, I remember the Philippines. :)

I also plan on retiring their in a few years. :) I own a bunch of property there.

Measure Man
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I do believe you are right. There will be a resurgence of lbmf's around the bar districts. hopefully they will not be as contagious as they were in the past!

The bar district outside Clark is alive and well to this day.

imported_AFKILO7
06-12-2012, 03:08 AM

Don't forget the Asian American Federal Employment Service

Cowboy
06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
The Philippine Senate and Aquino administration already approved re-opening Subic Bay Naval base to the U.S. to help deter Chinese aggressions in the area as well as support against Abu Sayef and the New Peoples Army.

LC-45
06-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Wont be the same, look what they have done to Korea....

TSgt"M"
06-30-2013, 04:50 PM
What has happened in Korea? It was a fun place in the 80's as well as Clark. I blew coffee threw my nose with Smeghead's comment and Bob's response.

Slyoldawg
06-30-2013, 08:06 PM
On my way to Vietnam in March 1967 my first stop was Clark AB for "Jungle Survival" training. After completion of that I attended school there on the C-123K and enjoyed the NCO Club after class every day. I always considered the NCO Club at Clark as the best in the Air Force and believe me, I wore out my welcome over the years making the rounds of all the clubs in the Air Force

RobotChicken
06-30-2013, 11:49 PM
"Clark was picked clean after we left down to the underground pipes! Be starting from scratch including the golf course sprinkler system...."

LFAWes
07-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Clark was made in to an internatonal airport. If the US military was to go back to the PI. They could just use Subic Bay. And the old NAS Cubi Point which is still open.