PDA

View Full Version : LA Gun Buyback Program: paid good money for useless "rocket launcher"

briefer
05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
http://gunmartblog.com/2012/05/17/gun-buyback-yields-rocket-launcher/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/los-angeles-gun-buyback-yields-1673-firearms.html

The first one has the image of the launcher in question. I'm glad they could get it off the streets. A guy could get beaten to death with one of those suckers. . .

It even has 'TRAINER' written on the side.

iReddit
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Here's some background on LA Guns

L.A. Guns is the name of a hard rock group formed in Los Angeles, California, of which two rival incarnations currently exist due to numerous line-up changes. The first incarnation of the group was formed, by Tracii Guns, in 1983 but disbanded in 1985 following its merger with fellow Los Angeles group Hollywood Rose, becoming the first lineup of Guns N' Roses. The same year, the group was reformed by Guns and singer Paul Black adding Mick Cripps and Nickey Alexander. Black would soon be replaced by former Girl singer Phil Lewis while former Faster Pussycat bassist Kelly Nickels was added to the group. Later, Alexander would be replaced by former W.A.S.P. drummer Steve Riley with this being known as the "classic lineup" of L.A. Guns. They achieved moderate chart success in the late 80's and early 90's. However, the group went through numerous lineup changes (with Guns being the only consistent member) and failed to regain mainstream attention.

The "classic lineup" of the group would reunite in 1999 and began recording new material. However, the group continued to change lineups and Guns eventually left to form the hard rock supergroup Brides of Destruction with Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe in 2002. L.A. Guns continued without Guns, bringing in guitarist Stacey Blades, however, following his decision to put Brides of Destruction on hiatus in 2006, Guns formed The Tracii Guns Band. The group's lineup consisted of former L.A. Guns members Black, Alexander as well as Jeremy Guns (though the lineup would eventually change), with the group eventually changing their name to L.A. Guns. Both groups continue to record and tour under the L.A. Guns moniker.

To date, L.A. Guns have released nine studio albums – L.A. Guns (1988); Cocked & Loaded (1989); Hollywood Vampires (1991); Vicious Circle (1995); American Hardcore (1996); Shrinking Violet (1999); Man in the Moon (2001); Waking the Dead (2002) and Tales from the Strip (2005), two extended plays – Cuts (1992); Wasted (1998) as well as a number of live and compilation albums.

briefer
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Here's some background on LA Guns

L.A. Guns is the name of a hard rock group formed in Los Angeles, California, of which two rival incarnations currently exist due to numerous line-up changes. The first incarnation of the group was formed, by Tracii Guns, in 1983 but disbanded in 1985 following its merger with fellow Los Angeles group Hollywood Rose, becoming the first lineup of Guns N' Roses. The same year, the group was reformed by Guns and singer Paul Black adding Mick Cripps and Nickey Alexander. Black would soon be replaced by former Girl singer Phil Lewis while former Faster Pussycat bassist Kelly Nickels was added to the group. Later, Alexander would be replaced by former W.A.S.P. drummer Steve Riley with this being known as the "classic lineup" of L.A. Guns. They achieved moderate chart success in the late 80's and early 90's. However, the group went through numerous lineup changes (with Guns being the only consistent member) and failed to regain mainstream attention.

The "classic lineup" of the group would reunite in 1999 and began recording new material. However, the group continued to change lineups and Guns eventually left to form the hard rock supergroup Brides of Destruction with Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe in 2002. L.A. Guns continued without Guns, bringing in guitarist Stacey Blades, however, following his decision to put Brides of Destruction on hiatus in 2006, Guns formed The Tracii Guns Band. The group's lineup consisted of former L.A. Guns members Black, Alexander as well as Jeremy Guns (though the lineup would eventually change), with the group eventually changing their name to L.A. Guns. Both groups continue to record and tour under the L.A. Guns moniker.

To date, L.A. Guns have released nine studio albums – L.A. Guns (1988); Cocked & Loaded (1989); Hollywood Vampires (1991); Vicious Circle (1995); American Hardcore (1996); Shrinking Violet (1999); Man in the Moon (2001); Waking the Dead (2002) and Tales from the Strip (2005), two extended plays – Cuts (1992); Wasted (1998) as well as a number of live and compilation albums.

It sounds like LA Guns has caused more damage than I could have possibly imagined.

Ender
05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
From a comment on the first article:

What I would really like to do is find out how much they are buying the firearms for, stand out in front and buy a few of the better ones (legally of course) for more then they would get from the police. I can only imagine some of the rare, high quality firearms that get turned in by unknowing individuals.

Hell yeah!

Banned
05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
http://gunmartblog.com/2012/05/17/gun-buyback-yields-rocket-launcher/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/los-angeles-gun-buyback-yields-1673-firearms.html

The first one has the image of the launcher in question. I'm glad they could get it off the streets. A guy could get beaten to death with one of those suckers. . .

It even has 'TRAINER' written on the side.

So... what is the point you're trying to make here? Considering how violent LA is, this sounds like a very sensible program. $200 is a low price to pay to take a weapon of dubious origins and legality off the street before its used to kill a citizen or a cop...

Yes, some of the weapons turned in were inert. Some where not. Again, what is your point?

briefer
05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
So... what is the point you're trying to make here? Considering how violent LA is, this sounds like a very sensible program. $200 is a low price to pay to take a weapon of dubious origins and legality off the street before its used to kill a citizen or a cop...

Yes, some of the weapons turned in were inert. Some where not. Again, what is your point?

When you stand in front of the cameras waving a "rocket launcher" around, telling people how much safer they are now that you have it, you look like a dumbass. It also leads to the question, "If you're dumb enough to buy an inert chunk of metal/plastic, what else are you dumb enough to buy?"

Banned
05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
When you stand in front of the cameras waving a "rocket launcher" around, telling people how much safer they are now that you have it, you look like a dumbass.

It makes a good photo-op.

It also leads to the question, "If you're dumb enough to buy an inert chunk of metal/plastic, what else are you dumb enough to buy?"

I'd rather the criteria be too broad than too narrow. Even many of the inert weapons they picked up could probably be put back into working condition.

And unlike gun legislation, this project actually hits the criminal population too. A gang member looking for some quick cash (or his next trip) is the target audience.

Ender
05-29-2012, 06:58 PM
I'd rather the criteria be too broad than too narrow. Even many of the inert weapons they picked up could probably be put back into working condition.

That may very well be the case. However, I'm willing to bet they wouldn't buy a case of hand-grenade paper weights off me for $200 a pop, and they certainly wouldn't be waving them around saying, "Look what we got! Look what we got!"

An empty AT-4 tube can't be put back into service. Although, I'd be stoked to see someone turn it into a potato gun.

My other question is this... what is happening to these firearms once they are bought back?

Banned
05-29-2012, 07:02 PM
That may very well be the case. However, I'm willing to bet they wouldn't buy a case of hand-grenade paper weights off me for $200 a pop, and they certainly wouldn't be waving them around saying, "Look what we got! Look what we got!"

An empty AT-4 tube can't be put back into service. Although, I'd be stoked to see someone turn it into a potato gun.

I still don't see it as a big deal.

My other question is this... what is happening to these firearms once they are bought back?

That's a good question. My guess would be melted down - which could conceivably bring in a couple million bucks, depending on how many weapons were brought in. Perhaps some of them donated to museums or something... or used for training purposes.

Pullinteeth
07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....this is friggin hillarious. New gun control laws in CO made their gun buyback progam illegal....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/25/gun-buyback-canceled-because-new-gun-laws/?test=latestnews

CYBERFX1024
07-25-2013, 02:34 PM

They are melting down the firearms.

CYBERFX1024
07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
It makes a good photo-op.
And unlike gun legislation, this project actually hits the criminal population too. A gang member looking for some quick cash (or his next trip) is the target audience.

But the bad thing is that the people do NOT get cash. All they get are like a visa gift card. There have actually been counter protests across the street from the gun buyback programs offering cold hard cash and not gift cards.

Pullinteeth
07-25-2013, 02:55 PM
There have actually been counter protests across the street from the gun buyback programs offering cold hard cash and not gift cards.

Not a bad idea...you could get a lot of cheap guns-I would imagine....

Greg
07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Not a bad idea...you could get a lot of cheap guns-I would imagine....

That happened not too long ago, in the downtown area where I live. The cops crossed the street, and started giving the two individuals the third degree. All the while TV cameras were rolling. The two guys eventually folded camp.

garhkal
07-25-2013, 07:13 PM

To me the main issue I have with it is that it IS a "No questions asked" thing, which does allow criminals to ditch their arms they have used in crimes, and get paid for doing so.
All without fear of it coming back to them.

Pullinteeth
07-26-2013, 03:00 PM
To me the main issue I have with it is that it IS a "No questions asked" thing, which does allow criminals to ditch their arms they have used in crimes, and get paid for doing so.

That is kind of the whole point....they want to reduce the number of ILLEGAL firearms on the street. They figure the best way to do that is to pay for 'em. The goal isn't to have legititmate gun owners turn in their guns...it is to have those that may use them illegally turn theirs in. If you made it a hassle, they wouldn't bother to even show up.

garhkal
07-26-2013, 06:11 PM
So we get the weapon off the street, but leave the criminal out there.. to get another illegal weapon and continue being a criminal. IMO its a stupid idea.

Combined with the fact most of those i have seen using those buy back programs DO seem to be legal gun owners.. not criminals.

CYBERFX1024
07-26-2013, 07:25 PM

What I remember reading is that they check and see if any of these guns that got turned was used on any crime. How they go about doing that I don't know.

Pullinteeth
07-26-2013, 10:20 PM
What I remember reading is that they check and see if any of these guns that got turned was used on any crime. How they go about doing that I don't know.

They do a SN check and a ballistics check prior to melting down. Chances are even if it WAS used in a crime, the perp wasn't the one that turned it in. In their opinion, just getting the weapon off the street is a good start...