PDA

View Full Version : Army wants to monitor your computer activity

Rusty Jones
05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
In the wake of the biggest dump of classified information in the history of the Army, the brass is searching for ways to watch what every soldier is doing on his or her Army computer.

The Army wants to look at keystrokes, downloads and Web searches on computers that soldiers use.

According to Smith, the Army will soon shop for software pre-programmed to detect a user’s abnormal behavior and record it, catching malicious insiders in the act. Though it is unclear how broadly the Army plans to adopt the program, the Army has more than 900,000 users on its computers.

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2012/05/army-wants-to-monitor-your-computer-050512w/

Rusty Jones
05-05-2012, 09:44 PM
What??? You mean to tell me that the Army hasn't already been doing this the whole time? And for that matter, the rest of the government hasn't been either? Man...

giggawatt
05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
The AF can and does do this. Of course it doesn't watch EVERY body but it has the capability to watch exactly what your're doing. When caught doing something naughty they can show you what you were doing.

combatrob
05-06-2012, 12:42 AM
As well they should. It is not a personal information system.

MisterBen
05-06-2012, 07:58 AM
There is a difference on website/bluecoat filtering to keyloggers that can capture what you are typing on your computer. There is also legal issues involved when it comes to monitoring your personal e-mail traffic.

There is alot that the average user does not understand nor what is being disclosed in this article.

They already locked down DVD/CD burning on the SIPR/CENTRIXS systems and USB external hard drives access that require an exception to policy for access.

This is just going beyond what is happening now. Believe me, if you are using a government computer; it is being monitored.

KellyinAvon
05-06-2012, 12:34 PM
What??? You mean to tell me that the Army hasn't already been doing this the whole time? And for that matter, the rest of the government hasn't been either? Man...

What he said!!

Creaminess
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with a large number of AKO chat room users being reported to their supervisors for using AKO chat during work hours. From my understanding, both military and civilian DoD employees have been getting in trouble for it.

Rusty Jones
05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with a large number of AKO chat room users being reported to their supervisors for using AKO chat during work hours. From my understanding, both military and civilian DoD employees have been getting in trouble for it.

I highly doubt that; and that's something that big Army shouldn't even concern themselves with. If people are screwing off during work, then that's something that needs to be handled at the company level.

On another note... people actually chat in AKO? I was Navy, and when NKO came out, I participated in the discussion boards for a few weeks until I noticed that too many people were pulling rank whenever people disagreed on things. In fact, I remember when I was a Second Class; a Senior Chief actually shot an email to my Command Master Chief to tell on me! Fuck THAT!

In the end, this is concerning people posting classified information on the internet. And as such, the Army should be concerned. However, my gripe is that after 20 years of the internet, the Army (well, the government as a whole) is just now starting to take preventive measures.

garhkal
05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
There is a difference on website/bluecoat filtering to keyloggers that can capture what you are typing on your computer. There is also legal issues involved when it comes to monitoring your personal e-mail traffic.

I though as part of the sign in policy to govt pcs you agreed to BEING monitored, even for email traffic.

quickercarter
08-21-2013, 04:52 AM

There is alot that the average user does not understand nor what is being disclosed in this article.

They already locked down DVD/CD burning on the SIPR/CENTRIXS systems and USB external hard drives access that require an exception to policy for access.

This is just going beyond what is happening now. Believe me, if you are using a government computer; it is being monitored.

There is always the possibility. But there is only so much you can do. If you’re running checks and there coming up ok and being sensible about what you’re clicking on then you should be ok.

quickercarter
08-21-2013, 04:53 AM
Running a scan on Spybot S&D, "perfect keylogger" popped up for a few seconds in the progress bar. myjad keylogger has turned up in the results.