PDA

View Full Version : Half-staffing the flag for Whitney Houston

SENDBILLMONEY
02-15-2012, 01:30 AM
The governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie, stated that he plans to issue an executive order half-staffing the colors at government buildings on the day of Whitney Houston's funeral.

I don't live in NJ, but I have a rather large problem with this. Am I on my own here?

ScarlettGTO
02-15-2012, 01:32 AM
No, personally I don't think we should even send off tributes to music/movie stars who succumb by way of drug use. Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston and the plethora of other artists who died by OD do not deserve much of anything other than a hole in the ground and the wet dirt to cover it.

technomage1
02-15-2012, 01:34 AM
No. Nothing against Whitney, I liked her music, but what did she do to deserve such an honor?

Pavegunner72
02-15-2012, 01:35 AM
At least she is with her career now...

MACHINE666
02-15-2012, 01:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPLQ43JVYU&feature=related

Sick burn!!!!

Dude...so wrong...but so right!

ScarlettGTO
02-15-2012, 01:41 AM

She is also 3 days sober...so that's a plus.

Demaskee
02-15-2012, 01:43 AM
This calls for a resiliancy day!

Pavegunner72
02-15-2012, 01:51 AM
What's black and laying on the floor and "Will always love you?" A border collie...

VFFSSGT
02-15-2012, 01:51 AM
The governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie, stated that he plans to issue an executive order half-staffing the colors at government buildings on the day of Whitney Houston's funeral.

I don't live in NJ, but I have a rather large problem with this. Am I on my own here?

I just lost most if not all respect I had for Christie.

Pavegunner72
02-15-2012, 01:52 AM
In a strange turn of events, Whitney Houston beat Bobby Brown to death....

LogDog
02-15-2012, 02:03 AM
I don't have a problem with it. She was from New Jersey and it only affects state offices, not military bases.

B1k3rBoi
02-15-2012, 02:11 AM
I think if they feel the need to do that, it's their call. Doesn't affect me one way or the other. Although, no one will ever come close to her singing the National Anthem.

OtisRNeedleman
02-15-2012, 02:42 AM
I don't agree. Don't see anything she did to merit flying the flag at half-staff.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
02-15-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm not mad about it, but it seems ridiculous. Did she ever write any of her hit songs on her own? BTW, the dude that helped her prepare for the National Anthem at the Super Bowl has really danced around whether or not she lyp-synched. He wouldn't come out and say yes or no to it, but instead, focus on other aspects of the event and events afterwards. He might make a good politician.

Great set of pipes, and young Whitney was likable, but what we've seen for about the last 20 years would not receive such an honor if it was my call, but to each their own.

ChiefB
02-15-2012, 02:56 AM
I think Christie is paying tribute to what she gave the world, not what she took from it or did to herself. She's a favorite daughter of NJ and he has a lot of constituents to satisfy. No harm, no foul.

Slyoldawg
02-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Maybe Black History Month has something to do with Christie's decision, Ya think?

ScarlettGTO
02-15-2012, 03:11 AM
All I know is that there is something 6 inches long not getting sucked on this Valentines Day.

Whitney's crack pipe.....

BAM!

Pavegunner72
02-15-2012, 03:12 AM
I think she took Black History Month too literally?

Tak
02-15-2012, 03:23 AM
The military is just a politcal organization. We are run by civilian politico wankers.
Greed and favors run the world. NJ is about as crooked as they come. Damn garden state parkway.

Slyoldawg
02-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Whitney Houston's mother sang with a group named The Sweet Inspirations. They backed Elvis Presley on some of his Gospel works. They also came out with a self titled album in the 60's. I have that album on my MP3 player. Whitney got her voice from her mother, that's for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Inspirations

Rainmaker
02-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Lance Cpl Osbrany Montes De Oca, 20 of North Arlington, NJ died Feb 10th in Hemland Province.
With all due respect to Ms. Houston. I'd say he's much more deserving.
This country and Gov Christie are seriously sick.

imported_oih82w8
02-15-2012, 03:54 AM
I think she took Black History Month too literally?

It's a good thing that I read this thread from the begining...Pavegunner72 beat me to the punch.

Carry on Air Commando! :usa2

Mr. Happy
02-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Lance Cpl Osbrany Montes De Oca, 20 of North Arlington, NJ died Feb 10th in Hemland Province.

Amen brother...my thoughts exactly.

SomeAFdude
02-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Now that's funny! I don't care who you are!

Pullinteeth
02-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Guess the Gov isn't familiar with the Flag code;

The section provides that the President shall order the flag flown at half-staff for stipulated periods “upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a state, territory, or possession.” After the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag may be flown at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or in accordance with recognized custom not inconsistent with law. In addition, the Governor of a state, territory, or possession, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia, may direct that the national flag be flown at half-staff, in the event of the death of a present or former official of the respective government or in the event of the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that jurisdiction.

Not sure where she would fall in there...

Shrike
02-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Hell yeah.

imported_chipotleboy
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Crack is whack!

jarjar
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM

Agreed.

If a celebrity dies the news is broadcast throughout the world. If a Marine dies, he/she gets a 1/2 inch blurb in the local paper. Tragic.

FastFalkie
02-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I think if they feel the need to do that, it's their call. Doesn't affect me one way or the other. Although, no one will ever come close to her singing the National Anthem.

Ummm...did you forget about Carl Lewis?

AFone
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I think that we should fly the flag at half staff for everybody who dies.

briefer
02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Agreed.

If a celebrity dies the news is broadcast throughout the world. If a Marine dies, he/she gets a 1/2 inch blurb in the local paper. Tragic.

Email the governor. He might listen. I doubt he'd change course, but maybe he'll get the idea.

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

Of course, when Snooki (Shnooki want smoosh smoosh!) dies, I'm sure she'll get the same treatment. Pathetic.

ConfusedAirman
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM

The section provides that the President shall order the flag flown at half-staff for stipulated periods “upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a state, territory, or possession.” After the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag may be flown at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or in accordance with recognized custom not inconsistent with law. In addition, the Governor of a state, territory, or possession, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia, may direct that the national flag be flown at half-staff, in the event of the death of a present or former official of the respective government or in the event of the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that jurisdiction.

You are correct. No provision in the Flag Code.

I don't have a problem with it. She was from New Jersey and it only affects state offices, not military bases.

Somewhat questionable. IF the Governor had followed the Flag Code, then all federal facilities in the state would have to follow suit. The fact that he didn't follow the code means this is questionable.

When the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia, issues a proclamation under the preceding sentence that the National flag be flown at half-staff in that State, territory, or possession or in the District of Columbia because of the death of a member of the Armed Forces, the National flag flown at any Federal installation or facility in the area covered by that proclamation shall be flown at half-staff consistent with that proclamation.

ttribe
02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
She is also 3 days sober...so that's a plus.

People are looking at me and asking what i read that is so funny.

MACHINE666
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Heh.

Even Tommy Chong is commenting on Whitney Houston's untimely passing...

http://news.yahoo.com/tommy-chong-whitney-houston-still-alive-she-stuck-202530651.html;_ylt=AhPWYLpxf9hLysNgQTNtIPar9HQA;_ ylu=X3oDMTRvdGY4dWhqBGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sd2 lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwM1MGI5Yjg4 Yi01OWFkLTM2YzgtYTA3Ny1hNGIzMmRmYzIyYTAEcG9zAzEEc2 VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDOGI1OTI0OTAtNTc1NC0xMWUx LTlmZGQtYzIxMWI3MWExZDlj;_ylg=X3oDMTM2ZGF2ZHRqBGlu dGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDMTMzYmFiZTUtN2M3NC 0zYWEyLTlkNmYtZWZlM2M0ZTU2ODM3BHBzdGNhdANlbnRlcnRh aW5tZW50BHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3

iReddit
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Governors have a lot of leeway IRT half mast proclamations..

Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure.

In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes when proclaimed by the President, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring citizens who have died, especially government officials and prominent citizens. However, the Flag Code does not exclude any citizen, whether they belong to an organization or not, whether they are recognized very locally or regionally. Examples of deceased citizens that might be honored with by lowering the Flag to half-staff include local religious leaders, youth leaders, honored teachers or sports coaches, local politicians, or a local hero. There need be no authorization from the government for the private sector (non-government) to use the Flag to honor any citizen. It is important to note that the Flag Code is a code, it is intended to provide guidance and is not obligatory. It carries no civil or criminal penalties for "misuse" of the Flag. Individual are not acting illegally when using the Flag according to their own usage. Only on government / public building is the flag code required to be followed.

iReddit
02-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Somewhat questionable. IF the Governor had followed the Flag Code, then all federal facilities in the state would have to follow suit. The fact that he didn't follow the code means this is questionable.

Not questionable in the least...only required by law (which is binding, the flag code is not) in honor of AD military (to include those on orders) who've died.

Federal Facilities must follow States lead with Half-Staff proclamations.
The Flag Code half-staffing requirements was modified with new legislation signed into effect on June 29, 2007 by President Bush. The new legislation requires any federal facility within a region which proclaims half-staffing to honor a member of the US Armed Forces who died on active duty must follow the half-staffing proclamation. For example, if there is a US military fort in your state, and your Governor issues a Half-Staff proclamation, the the US military fort must follow the proclamation. This applies to all Governors of a State, possession or territory, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia.

iReddit
02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I just lost most if not all respect I had for Christie.

What took so long? How long has it been since he endorsed Romney?

Robert F. Dorr
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Here is a rare situation where a state seems to be empowered to make a decision without federal intervention. Since I would like to see a restoration of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, a strengthening of states' rights and a weakening of the federal government, I gotta go along with allowing Fatso to do this, even though it's not a good decision.

I draw the line, however, at lowering the flag when Fattie dies as a result of his life-threatening obesity.

Comm_Guy
02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I think that we should fly the flag at half staff for everybody who dies.

Only for the crackheads that die everyday. They are more important.

briefer
02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Here is a rare situation where a state seems to be empowered to make a decision without federal intervention. Since I would like to see a restoration of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, a strengthening of states' rights and a weakening of the federal government, I gotta go along with allowing Fatso to do this, even though it's not a good decision.

I draw the line, however, at lowering the flag when Fattie dies as a result of his life-threatening obesity.

I'm not saying it's not in his rights as governor to do. I'm saying it's horridly wrong, backwards, and otherwise jacked up.

As for your last comment, it's a bit childish, no? Besides, they lowered the flag for Ted Kennedy. . .

Measure Man
02-15-2012, 03:51 PM

...also from NJ, by the way.

Measure Man
02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I am from NJ, and have no problem with this...she is no doubt an important figure.

NJ will probably do it for a week if Bruce Springsteen dies.

My personal opinion is that many of you underestimate the value of the arts. I'm not particularly a Whitney Houstion fan...not at all in fact, but I do recognize that she made a rather large contribution to quite many.

Measure Man
02-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Email the governor. He might listen. I doubt he'd change course, but maybe he'll get the idea.

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

Of course, when Snooki (Shnooki want smoosh smoosh!) dies, I'm sure she'll get the same treatment. Pathetic.

Actually, Gov Christie, like most Jerseyans, is quite proud to point out that Snooki is from New York.

Airborne
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I am from NJ, and have no problem with this...she is no doubt an important figure.

NJ will probably do it for a week if Bruce Springsteen dies.

My personal opinion is that many of you underestimate the value of the arts. I'm not particularly a Whitney Houstion fan...not at all in fact, but I do recognize that she made a rather large contribution to quite many.

I was going to come in and say something similar to this. Whats it hurting really? And I bet this thread wouldnt even exist if The Boss died and they were to fly it half staff for him. I never get the "Private Smith died and there is no global outpouring for him" comments that always happen when a celebrity who has been a global icon for decades dies.

ChairForce Guy
02-15-2012, 04:23 PM
So we put the flag at 1/2 for dead crack heads but not for the dead JarHeads? what is wrong with this pic...

briefer
02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I was going to come in and say something similar to this. Whats it hurting really? And I bet this thread wouldnt even exist if The Boss died and they were to fly it half staff for him. I never get the "Private Smith died and there is no global outpouring for him" comments that always happen when a celebrity who has been a global icon for decades dies.

I think the life of someone that died in service to his country, however slight, should be honored more than the life of a person that died in service to themselves.

And as for Snooki, I guess that just gives me another reason to not go to NY. :)

And who is "the boss"?

Shrike
02-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Obesity = no flag at half staff, drug-hound dying from booze and drug overdose = flag at half staff

Do you have a flowchart that lays out which potentially self-destructive behaviors you believe qualify people for honoring?

Measure Man
02-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I think the life of someone that died in service to his country, however slight, should be honored more than the life of a person that died in service to themselves.

Not talking anything away from any military member who dies in combat...

And as for Snooki, I guess that just gives me another reason to not go to NY. :)

Good, it'll be less crowded. I <3 NY :-)

And who is "the boss"?

The Boss = Bruce Springsteen.

TheMadMan
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I can't believe the stupidity of this! This is a govt building and what did Whitney do for the govt that she deserves honors like this? She will be recognized by Hollywood, isn't that enough? Are we going to make a national day of mourning? Cnn reported enough 'private' information about her funeral services that will be attended by invitation only although Cnn put enough information about where and when.
Jersey is looking awful stupid at this point but then consider the source.

RETSGTMAJ
02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
"And Gov. Chris Christie ordered flags on public buildings to be flown at half-staff Saturday."

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/

ConfusedAirman
02-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure.

In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes when proclaimed by the President, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring citizens who have died, especially government officials and prominent citizens. However, the Flag Code does not exclude any citizen, whether they belong to an organization or not, whether they are recognized very locally or regionally. Examples of deceased citizens that might be honored with by lowering the Flag to half-staff include local religious leaders, youth leaders, honored teachers or sports coaches, local politicians, or a local hero. There need be no authorization from the government for the private sector (non-government) to use the Flag to honor any citizen. It is important to note that the Flag Code is a code, it is intended to provide guidance and is not obligatory. It carries no civil or criminal penalties for "misuse" of the Flag. Individual are not acting illegally when using the Flag according to their own usage. Only on government / public building is the flag code required to be followed.

Curious where you found the Flag Code mentions use of the flag to honor citizens. Directly from the code as identified here - http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a state, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any state, territory, or possession of the United States or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia.

No mention of prominent citizens in there, or anywhere else in the code.

I agree that the Flag Code is a non-obligatory code of guidance that does not have to be followed by private citizens but we are talking about the Governor of NJ in an official order. I am sure there have been times even the President deviates so I guess the Governor can also. I just don't think the Governor should have done so in this case.

Max Power
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzbr2shBaU1qgjj0zo1_500.jpg

Max Power
02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3627sb.jpg

iReddit
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
No mention of prominent citizens in there, or anywhere else in the code.

You're right - legal/historical precident. MLK didn't hold an office or serve on active duty, yet he received such honor. It's the gov's call, that's all. I would expect the same thing for Bon Jovi or Springsteen.

Enigmatic Airman
02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I hope Lil Wayne lives forever...

briefer
02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
NJ Governor is tweeting that the flags were lowered for all fallen NJ service members, and that the Lance Cpl received that honor as well.

If true, I retract my statements about said governor being a douchenozzle.

imported_Sgt HULK
02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
for a freaking crackhead?

TJMAC77SP
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
And who is "the boss"?

You Sir, are not a true American !!!!

ConfusedAirman
02-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Love some of the responses here. My belief is that the Houston everyone wants to admire and hold up on a pedestal, the one before the Bobby Brown era, was a sham that was carefully packaged for the masses. Nothing about her life has identified any special attributes except her singing ability. Now we hear her friends, family, and even some of the media trying to change history and how the world remembers her with all sorts of BS about how she was pulling herself together simply because they don't want the world to remember what the world has seen the last few years. She chose and lived the life she wanted and there is no telling that she would have changed a thing about her life to avoid dying as she did. Her one attribute that made her special to the world died years ago as a result of her choice and this past weekend, her mind and body just caught up.

Pueblo
02-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Who the fuck cares and what does this have to do with the Air Force? Even better question; why read stories that have no impact on your life or anyone's life just to make yourself angry?

ScarlettGTO
02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
What bugs the shit out of me (same can be said when Winehorse died) is that you have all these celebs and fellow singers saying that she was family, they loved her, and will miss her but where were they when she needed picked up? I didn't see a single one of them snatch her up and have an intervention.

I think many of us here would do that for a family member/friend that we love. I know if anyone in my family was in the shape she was in I would exhaust every option to help get them clean. They don't want me walking that red carpet and answering the question of "How do you feel the death of Whitney will impact the music industry?"....It won't her career has been dead for years. Any recognition she did deserve fluttered off in the fumes of her simmering crack pipe.

MACHINE666
02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
http://glassesninja.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/crackkills.png

Remember kids....

CRACK KILLS!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

ScarlettGTO
02-15-2012, 10:18 PM
What's the difference between Whitney Houston and my car?

My car can reach 50....

imported_CLSE
02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
No. Nothing against Whitney, I liked her music, but what did she do to deserve such an honor?

Didn't you hear? She's American royalty. They said so on Fox news.

OtisRNeedleman
02-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Love some of the responses here. My belief is that the Houston everyone wants to admire and hold up on a pedestal, the one before the Bobby Brown era, was a sham that was carefully packaged for the masses. Nothing about her life has identified any special attributes except her singing ability. Now we hear her friends, family, and even some of the media trying to change history and how the world remembers her with all sorts of BS about how she was pulling herself together simply because they don't want the world to remember what the world has seen the last few years. She chose and lived the life she wanted and there is no telling that she would have changed a thing about her life to avoid dying as she did. Her one attribute that made her special to the world died years ago as a result of her choice and this past weekend, her mind and body just caught up.

I was surprised she even made it to 48. Drugs, drinking, and a poor choice of a spouse are mighty hard on the body.

DWWSWWD
02-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Who the fuck cares and what does this have to do with the Air Force? Even better question; why read stories that have no impact on your life or anyone's life just to make yourself angry? Wow! Fox News has no impact on my life and makes me angry. This forum has no impact on my life and makes me angry at times. We read stuff, so what. That said, I did e-mail the Governor this morning and let him know how disappointed I am in his decision. If he wanted to have taxpayer subsidized half priced crack pipes for sale in her honor, I get it. Not the flag. It's not yours, Governor.

Demaskee
02-16-2012, 12:28 AM
If nothing else we can celebrate her 4th day of sobriety.

Pueblo
02-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Wow! Fox News has no impact on my life and makes me angry. This forum has no impact on my life and makes me angry at times. We read stuff, so what. That said, I did e-mail the Governor this morning and let him know how disappointed I am in his decision. If he wanted to have taxpayer subsidized half priced crack pipes for sale in her honor, I get it. Not the flag. It's not yours, Governor.

The irony of bitching about a stranger's self-destructive drug habit to another stranger with an equally self-destructive eating disorder is delicious. Any estimates on the total cost to the taxpayer? Do you even live in New Jersey?

Pullinteeth
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Did you even READ what you posted? If the governor wants to do it at his private home he can...not for gov facilities and last I checked state buildings were still government buildings...we are not talking about individual usage...we are talking about government usage...thus the Flag Code DOES apply;

Not sure it gets much clearer than that...

Robert F. Dorr
02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Not sure it gets much clearer than that...

Actually, it couldn't be less clearer than that. The flag code applies to the federal government. The states can do as they chose, not withstanding the language you highlighted. Nothing trumps the Tenth Amendment.

Pullinteeth
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Actually, it couldn't be less clearer than that. The flag code applies to the federal government. The states can do as they chose, not withstanding the language you highlighted. Nothing trumps the Tenth Amendment.

Reference? Last time I checked there were still state governments and the Governors of states/territories were not part of the federal government...yet the U.S. Flag code specifically addressed all of those... NOTHING trumps the 10th? What about the Department of Education? Obamacare? War on Drugs? How about the "Commerce Clause?"

Robert F. Dorr
02-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Reference? Last time I checked there were still state governments and the Governors of states/territories were not part of the federal government...yet the U.S. Flag code specifically addressed all of those...

Yes, here are three sources of reference:

1. The Constitution

2. The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution

3. The Flag Code

There is absolutely nothing to prevent a state governor from ordering a flag lowered for whatever reason he or she chooses.

TJMAC77SP
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
All this talk about the US Flag Code seems a bit moot since there are no enforcement capabilities in the code. Other than issues of desecration spelled out in Title 18 it is merely a guide.

Look, you agree with Christie's action or you don't but I don't think there are any legal issues at play here.

((Disclaimer: I am not an attorney but I did stay at a Holdiday Inn Express last night))

ConfusedAirman
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Robert F. Dorr,

The "something" that should prevent a state governor from ordering a flag lowered for whatever reason he or she chooses is respect for the Flag Code and its provisions, even if violation of those provisions affords no penalties. If the governor wants the state of New Jersey to show honor to Houston's memory, he could have just as easily called for flying the state flag at half-staff.

Robert F. Dorr
02-16-2012, 12:19 PM
((Disclaimer: I am not an attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night))

There you go, plugging your brand name again.

I can't believe someone in this venue actually called Houston a "[b]lack person that is highly admired within the black community." I would bet she had more fans outside the black community.

imported_Yggdrasil
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
There you go, plugging your brand name again.

I can't believe someone in this venue actually called Houston a "[b]lack person that is highly admired within the black community." I would bet she had more fans outside the black community.

Not per capita.

Robert F. Dorr
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Not per capita.

I can't prove it but I'll bet she did.

I'm not black, don't know anything about music and until her death didn't know about the troubles in her life. But once I saw "The Bodyguard," I was in love with her. All I knew was -- beautiful woman, beautiful voice.

Two people in this forum have made strong points about her race. It wouldn't otherwise have occurred to me that her race is a factor in anything being discussed here.

But since two people brought it up, I'll bet she had in common with O. J. Simpson (before he murdered his wife) that she was better known and more widely admired outside the African-American world than within, even when measured on a per capita basis.

(Sigh).

DWWSWWD
02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
The irony of bitching about a stranger's self-destructive drug habit to another stranger with an equally self-destructive eating disorder is delicious. Any estimates on the total cost to the taxpayer? Do you even live in New Jersey? Not bitching about the drug habit. What I did was drop a respectful note to the governor about is his decision and why I disagree with it. The cost to the taxpayer is not tangible at the moment but is another slip on this slope we're on. We've minimized the value of our nation. It is not as strong as it once was and there are lots of reasons for that. Not the least of which is the President bowing to the dictator of Shambala or wherever the hell, apologizing for who we are, and dropping our flag to honor a crackhead who happened to be born with a great voice, that she went on to destroy. I am not from New Jersey but I am from America. That gives me a say.

Robert F. Dorr
02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Not bitching about the drug habit. What I did was drop a respectful note to the governor about is his decision and why I disagree with it. The cost to the taxpayer is not tangible at the moment but is another slip on this slope we're on. We've minimized the value of our nation. It is not as strong as it once was and there are lots of reasons for that. Not the least of which is the President bowing to the dictator of Shambala or wherever the hell, apologizing for who we are, and dropping our flag to honor a crackhead who happened to be born with a great voice, that she went on to destroy. I am not from New Jersey but I am from America. That gives me a say.

The minimizing of our nation -- the transformation from being respected everywhere, even by our adversaries to being despised and feared, even by our friends -- began on that dark date in 2001.

It has nothing to do with Houston, Obama, Shambala, or the usual practice of greeting overseas dignitaries according to their custom while expecting the same courtesy from them. It began on that dark date.

But enough about January 20.

sandsjames
02-16-2012, 04:59 PM
I can't prove it but I'll bet she did.

I'm not black, don't know anything about music and until her death didn't know about the troubles in her life. But once I saw "The Bodyguard," I was in love with her. All I knew was -- beautiful woman, beautiful voice.

Two people in this forum have made strong points about her race. It wouldn't otherwise have occurred to me that her race is a factor in anything being discussed here.

But since two people brought it up, I'll bet she had in common with O. J. Simpson (before he murdered his wife) that she was better known and more widely admired outside the African-American world than within, even when measured on a per capita basis.

(Sigh).

Unfortunately, race has been brought into the whole thing. I don't remember a prayer at the Grammy's for Amy Whinehouse, or any other white performers. If there would have been, there would have been a media uproar. But because it's a formerly successful black female (who, by the way, hasn't done anything worth note in 15 years, other that a very good National Anthem at the Superbowl a few years back), it suddenly became ok. I don't have a problem with the prayer at all, but it is a double standard. Can you imagine what would have happen if Kurt Cobaine had been honored by a flag a half staff after he killed himself? And I'm sure he meant more to Washington State then Whitney did to New Jersey.

Robert F. Dorr
02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, race has been brought into the whole thing. I don't remember a prayer at the Grammy's for Amy Whinehouse, or any other white performers. If there would have been, there would have been a media uproar. But because it's a formerly successful black female (who, by the way, hasn't done anything worth note in 15 years, other that a very good National Anthem at the Superbowl a few years back), it suddenly became ok. I don't have a problem with the prayer at all, but it is a double standard. Can you imagine what would have happen if Kurt Cobaine had been honored by a flag a half staff after he killed himself? And I'm sure he meant more to Washington State then Whitney did to New Jersey.

Unfortunately, sandsjames is right on this point.

Pueblo
02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Not bitching about the drug habit. What I did was drop a respectful note to the governor about is his decision and why I disagree with it. The cost to the taxpayer is not tangible at the moment but is another slip on this slope we're on. We've minimized the value of our nation. It is not as strong as it once was and there are lots of reasons for that. Not the least of which is the President bowing to the dictator of Shambala or wherever the hell, apologizing for who we are, and dropping our flag to honor a crackhead who happened to be born with a great voice, that she went on to destroy. I am not from New Jersey but I am from America. That gives me a say.

Who has the President apologized to on America's behalf? For what grievance?

sandsjames
02-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Who has the President apologized to on America's behalf? For what grievance?

Really? He apologized on National TV to the rest of the world for us distancing ourselves from everybody.

Pueblo
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Really? He apologized on National TV to the rest of the world for us distancing ourselves from everybody.

In the words of Dave McFly, "When the hell did this happen?!?!"

sandsjames
02-16-2012, 07:04 PM
In the words of Dave McFly, "When the hell did this happen?!?!"

From the Washington Post...

Mr. Obama told the French (the French!) that America "has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive" toward Europe. In Prague, he said America has "a moral responsibility to act" on arms control because only the U.S. had "used a nuclear weapon." In London, he said that decisions about the world financial system were no longer made by "just Roosevelt and Churchill sitting in a room with a brandy" -- as if that were a bad thing. And in Latin America, he said the U.S. had not "pursued and sustained engagement with our neighbors" because we "failed to see that our own progress is tied directly to progress throughout the Americas."

As the article goes on to say, he did not use the word "sorry", or "apologize". However, these comments made shortly after he took office sure sound to me like he is apologizing for the way we share with the other kids on the playground. I won't post the link, but if you want to see it, just type in "Obama Apology" into google.

Pueblo
02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
He did not use the word "sorry", or "apologize".

Thank you for realizing the error of your original statement.

sandsjames
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Thank you for realizing the error of your original statement.

There was no error in my statement. Anyone who can comprehend basic speech can see that those statements were apologizing for us being us. The fact that he didn't use the word doesn't change the meaning. Wait a second...that's right...if one democratic President can get a blow job from an intern and it not be considered sex (because obviously the phrases have two different meanings) then another democratic President can say that everything the country has done over the last 20 years has hurt the rest of the world and that we want to change, then I can see how that's not an apology.

Pueblo
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Anyone who can comprehend basic speech can see that those statements were apologizing for us being us.

But you already said he didn't apologize, silly goose.

MisterBen
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM

I disagree and did Whinehouse died the day before the Grammy's? Also, Houston tenure is much longer and had a great impact on the industry more than Whinehouse (fan wise). New Jersey went half-mast when Frank Sinatra died.

Anyway who cares. There are more pressing issues (the deficit) to worry about.

sandsjames
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
But you already said he didn't apologize, silly goose.

Okie dokie...if that's how you wish to interpret it.

Measure Man
02-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Back to orignal topic:

NJ also lowered the flags for Clarence Clemmons of the E Street Band:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/christie_orders_flags_in_nj_be.html

B1k3rBoi
02-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Oh yeah, I also forgot about Rosanne Barr too.

Pavegunner72
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Congress should mandate that US flags can only be lowered for someone who actually does something significant which affects what the flag directly stands for. Snorting coke should NOT be on the list. If states want this, then let them lower their own flags to prove what idiots they are.

usafshelland
02-17-2012, 01:05 AM
What a sham... glad I don't live in NJ... and then to find out she's Ray J's sloppy 2nds!?!? Wow...

ScarlettGTO
02-17-2012, 01:40 AM
What a sham... glad I don't live in NJ... and then to find out she's Ray J's sloppy 2nds!?!? Wow...

Ray J goes from this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0zS2hSix06dnjlKN-1hF3BN90cKXqonvJ9YrU4A7iI7Xo7j6b7w

to this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw-JXSnZZ9KPgr82s4ELLcedTJytLuHXLPsDmL6yQsN41uL6pMlQ

Good job buddy!

SENDBILLMONEY
02-17-2012, 02:36 AM
Back to orignal topic:

NJ also lowered the flags for Clarence Clemmons of the E Street Band:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/christie_orders_flags_in_nj_be.html

Had I known of that, I'd have raised a timely objection to that one too.

I'm not saying the governor lacks the legal authority to do this. For me, the problem is that the honor is usually reserved for those who have rendered some form of federal, state or local service (besides court-ordered service ... I'm lookin' at you, Lindsay Lohan!). Presidents, governors, mayors, other elected officials, senior appointed civilian officials, military personnel, veterans, and police/fire/ambulance personnel are examples of who I'm thinking about.

This has nothing to do with Whitney Houston as a human being or as an entertainer. We're all flawed, we're all human, and we all have baggage of one sort or another. However distinguished her career may have been, it wasn't in the fields of endeavor that one associates with this honor.

If the governor wants to split the difference and lower New Jersey's flag in salute one of its own, that's between him and New Jersey residents. When he brings the national colors into it, his decision is fair game for a collective, national "what the hell are you thinking, Governor?"

Class5Kayaker
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Not that I agree with flying the flag at half-mast for Whitney, but according to THIS (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57379123-10391698/whitney-houston-n.j-governor-defends-lowering-flags-for-singer/) article, Gov Christie's ordered the flag to be flown at half-mast for all 31 military personnel that were NJ residents that have fallen while he was in office in addition to all NJ cops.

The governor noted he has ordered flags flown at half-staff for all 31 fallen New Jersey soldiers and every fallen police officer during his time in office. He also ordered flags lowered last year for Clarence Clemons, the saxophonist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

Shrike
02-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Ray J goes from this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0zS2hSix06dnjlKN-1hF3BN90cKXqonvJ9YrU4A7iI7Xo7j6b7w

to this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw-JXSnZZ9KPgr82s4ELLcedTJytLuHXLPsDmL6yQsN41uL6pMlQ

Good job buddy!

Yeah, but the first one's been peed on, so is it really a downgrade? :)

RETSGTMAJ
02-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Don't be surprised if they try and name a ship after her, the "USS Whitney Houston". After all they named one for that slob Murtha and now one for Gifford.

GoatDriver57
02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
The MSM was just showing the air-view of the Hurst route to be taken. Crowd control may be required in some areas to maintain a clear path.
Ones at McGuire may get a sprout early tomorrow to see it all. Lucky on both accounts. Years from now, the airmen can say where they were, near, when WH rode her last mile. :)

garhkal
02-17-2012, 11:34 PM

I know i do, as it should be reserved for true patriots and heads of state.. doing it for musicians and the like is imo wrong.

Maybe Black History Month has something to do with Christie's decision, Ya think?

Very likely..

Agreed.

it does seem wrong that we so celebrate celebs even in death, but other than maybe a min or so on headline news, we don't for our fallen.

ScarlettGTO
02-18-2012, 12:50 AM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/music-fails-music-fails-just-sayin.jpg

When you break it down she really didn't do anything for music. Some guy I never heard of apparently did more for music than she did. I've been talking to my brother (Majoring in music/sound production) about this and it is a pretty big topic at his school. Not big because of who she is but a big topic because she really did not give anything to the music industry and very few "artists" do these days. They are pre-packaged, molded, money makers.

In her rawest form as an "artist" she was just someone with a good voice and some execs wanted to make money off her. Personally I think she would have hit the cocaine highway if she never ran into fame.

Domac
02-18-2012, 12:00 PM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/music-fails-music-fails-just-sayin.jpg

When you break it down she really didn't do anything for music. Some guy I never heard of apparently did more for music than she did. I've been talking to my brother (Majoring in music/sound production) about this and it is a pretty big topic at his school. Not big because of who she is but a big topic because she really did not give anything to the music industry and very few "artists" do these days. They are pre-packaged, molded, money makers.

In her rawest form as an "artist" she was just someone with a good voice and some execs wanted to make money off her. Personally I think she would have hit the cocaine highway if she never ran into fame.
Obviously the person who made that is a heavy metal fan and not one of the pop/R&B genre. That comparison doesn't even make sense. One is an American artist who was mainstream, sold millions of albums, won dozens of awards for her craft and died the night before one of the biggest music award shows of the year. The other was a heavy metal artist from Sweden, who's work never went main stream. Maybe he influenced others, but those bullet points don't really spell it out who he influenced.

Pullinteeth
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Yes, here are three sources of reference:

1. The Constitution

2. The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution

3. The Flag Code

There is absolutely nothing to prevent a state governor from ordering a flag lowered for whatever reason he or she chooses.

Go back and re-read the flag code. The governor can do whatever he or she wishes with his/her own flag. When he/she mandates that it be lowered on government buildings, the Flag Code applies. Again, waiting for something-ANYTHING that says it doesn't...cause the Flag Code says it does and individual liberties do not apply to Federal or State GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS (to include flagpoles).

Had I known of that, I'd have raised a timely objection to that one too.

I'm not saying the governor lacks the legal authority to do this. For me, the problem is that the honor is usually reserved for those who have rendered some form of federal, state or local service (besides court-ordered service ... I'm lookin' at you, Lindsay Lohan!). Presidents, governors, mayors, other elected officials, senior appointed civilian officials, military personnel, veterans, and police/fire/ambulance personnel are examples of who I'm thinking about.

This has nothing to do with Whitney Houston as a human being or as an entertainer. We're all flawed, we're all human, and we all have baggage of one sort or another. However distinguished her career may have been, it wasn't in the fields of endeavor that one associates with this honor.

If the governor wants to split the difference and lower New Jersey's flag in salute one of its own, that's between him and New Jersey residents. When he brings the national colors into it, his decision is fair game for a collective, national "what the hell are you thinking, Governor?"

I am. The Flag Code applies when the governor makes a decree impacting the status of the flag on government buildings. It doesn't have ANY impact on individuals lowering the flag for whatever reason they see fit. The Gov can lower every flag he wants to but doesn't have the authority to dictate that others do so for individuals not specified in the Flag Code. I really could give two shits less but contrary to what others would have you believe, the Flag Code is pretty clear and DOES apply in this case. It has no teeth but people should be able to do the right thing without being forced to do so.

Tak
02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/john-burri-father-fallen-soldier-burns-nj-flag-023336328--abc-news.html

ConfusedAirman
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
One thing that gets me is how many people believe flying the flag at half-staff is an honor that should only be afforded to military members who died in service to their country. The Flag Code, and guidelines for when to fly at half-staff, have been part of US Law since 1942 but the provision that authorizes the flag to fly at half-staff for members of the Armed Forces has only been around since 2007 (Army Specialist Joseph P. Micks Federal Flag Code Amendment Act of 2007).

My belief is that, at any one time, our national flag is either at full-staff or half-staff - NATIONWIDE. It is a national symbol that transcends local and state boundaries. At any one time, neither New Jersey, California, or any other state should have our NATIONAL flag at half-staff while it is at full-staff elsewhere. Either our entire nation is in mourning or it is not. Now this does mean that it will probably never be at half-staff for the death of a military member but I'm okay with that.

Pullinteeth
02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
My belief is that, at any one time, our national flag is either at full-staff or half-staff - NATIONWIDE. It is a national symbol that transcends local and state boundaries. At any one time, neither New Jersey, California, or any other state should have our NATIONAL flag at half-staff while it is at full-staff elsewhere. Either our entire nation is in mourning or it is not. Now this does mean that it will probably never be at half-staff for the death of a military member but I'm okay with that.

You may be right but you could never have it all or none without a 10th Amendment challenge. That is why the Flag Code as it presently stands only applies to Government buildings/flagpoles. Some yahoo can fly thier flag upsidedown at half staff if they so choose as a mode of expression...

Though there are some here that would allege that the 10th Amendment somehow applies to government buildings/flagpoles too...and that states don't have governments....

ConfusedAirman
02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
You may be right but you could never have it all or none without a 10th Amendment challenge. That is why the Flag Code as it presently stands only applies to Government buildings/flagpoles. Some yahoo can fly thier flag upsidedown at half staff if they so choose as a mode of expression...

Though there are some here that would allege that the 10th Amendment somehow applies to government buildings/flagpoles too...and that states don't have governments....

In a manner of speaking the Flag Code does apply outside the federal government - just that there are no enforcement provisions so, as you say, some yahoo can fly it upside down at half staff and there is nothing that can be done. But we are talking about other government agencies, not private yahoos. Maybe nothing can be done if a state or local government chooses to ignore the Flag Code - but when that happens, the public, federal government, POTUS, media, whoever should question such actions and ask why they chose to use the national flag as their method of respect versus their own local flag.

Sec. 5. Display and use of flag by civilians; codification of rules and customs; definition

The following codification of existing rules and customs pertaining to the display and use of the flag of the United States of merica is established for the use of such civilians or civilian groups or organizations as may not be required to conform with egulations promulgated by one or more executive departments of the Government of the United States.

Pullinteeth
02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
In a manner of speaking the Flag Code does apply outside the federal government - just that there are no enforcement provisions so, as you say, some yahoo can fly it upside down at half staff and there is nothing that can be done. But we are talking about other government agencies, not private yahoos. Maybe nothing can be done if a state or local government chooses to ignore the Flag Code - but when that happens, the public, federal government, POTUS, media, whoever should question such actions and ask why they chose to use the national flag as their method of respect versus their own local flag.

Sec. 5. Display and use of flag by civilians; codification of rules and customs; definition

The following codification of existing rules and customs pertaining to the display and use of the flag of the United States of merica is established for the use of such civilians or civilian groups or organizations as may not be required to conform with egulations promulgated by one or more executive departments of the Government of the United States.

I never said it only applied to the Federal Gov... That was someone else... As written it applies to all government buildings and limits who the President and Governors can lower the flag for at said government buildings. It was SOMEONE else (name kinda like Bobby Orr but that isn't quite right...) that said individual liberties apply to government buildings, states don't have governments, and that the Flag Code didn't apply to governors...

ConfusedAirman
02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I never said it only applied to the Federal Gov... That was someone else... As written it applies to all government buildings and limits who the President and Governors can lower the flag for at said government buildings. It was SOMEONE else (name kinda like Bobby Orr but that isn't quite right...) that said individual liberties apply to government buildings, states don't have governments, and that the Flag Code didn't apply to governors...

Sorry. My mistake.

CRUZAN RUM
06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is paying tribute to James Gandolfini by ordering flags to fly at half-staff Monday for the actor known best for his role on HBO's The Sopranos.

Greg
06-24-2013, 12:13 PM
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is paying tribute to James Gandolfini by ordering flags to fly at half-staff Monday for the actor known best for his role on HBO's The Sopranos.

No, you're not. I was listening to the radio while getting ready for the day, paused for a second after I heard that tidbit, and thought, "WTF?" But, there's not much I can do about it, so I'm moving on.

TJMAC77SP
06-24-2013, 12:17 PM
No, you're not. I was listening to the radio while getting ready for the day, paused for a second after I heard that tidbit, and thought, "WTF?" But, there's not much I can do about it, so I'm moving on.

The honor is certainly overused nowadays. Saddest part of this I see is that he wasn't really that good of an actor. He used to complain he was typecast but if you saw any performance of his aside from The Sopranos you were watching Tony Soprano and that wasn't a perception issue it was an acting issue.

Greg
06-24-2013, 12:41 PM
The honor is certainly overused nowadays. Saddest part of this I see is that he wasn't really that good of an actor. He used to complain he was typecast but if you saw any performance of his aside from The Sopranos you were watching Tony Soprano and that wasn't a perception issue it was an acting issue.

Ahhh, a more rotund Bruce Willis. I didn't have cable, let alone HBO, at the time the Sopranos was all the rage, and quite frankly I don't feel deprived.

KC-10 FE
06-24-2013, 02:00 PM
I have no problem with it, as long as they render the same honor to every service member that dies as well.

garhkal
06-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Which they have not done.

Measure Man
06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Which they have not done.

Pretty sure that's inaccurate.

Christie replied “You are a joke. We do lower the flag for fallen soldiers and police officers. Learn the facts before accusing.”

GoatDriver57
06-24-2013, 06:57 PM
If the state governor is requesting Half-staffing, it should be limited to the state's flag only.

The national flag shouldn't be moved but only on the request and specified by the liars of the POTUS chair, my opinion. ( I stand to be corrected, thks)

Gov. Chris, stop jacking with the flags, get some other symbolic system, as maybe hanging a black ribbon under the state flag, state buildings for ones of fame, w/o valor.

Geezs, Why does this thread still have legs? Get it deeper into the ground. This name doesn't have half the gritz to appear on such a honorable site.

Pullinteeth
06-24-2013, 07:22 PM
I have no problem with it, as long as they render the same honor to every service member that dies as well.

They do;

http://nj.gov/governor/news/news/552012/approved/20121204a.html

If the state governor is requesting Half-staffing, it should be limited to the state's flag only.

The national flag should not/can not be moved but only on the request and specified by a national leader, King, liars of the POTUS chair.

Gov. Chris, stop jacking with the flags, get some other symbolic system, as maybe hanging a black ribbon under the state flag, state buildings for ones of fame, not valor.

Geezs, Why does this thread still have legs? Get it deeper into the ground. This name doesn't have half the gritz to appear on such a honorable site.

You would be inccorect;

garhkal
06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Pretty sure that's inaccurate.

Is that just for Jersey natives though?

Measure Man
06-25-2013, 10:53 PM

Yeah, I'm sure...

Whitney Houston, James Gandolfini and Measure Man are also Jersey natives.

Pullinteeth
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM

And again....