PDA

View Full Version : PCSing to RAF Lakenheath,Mildenhall, or Feltwell?

Nic
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Be prepared to move into housing unless you want to pay the rent out of pocket. (About $2000 for rent). Just got a Memo that all E-1 to E-6 will PCS into housing. The kicker... Lakenheath has new housing. Its pretty nice not british style(closets and garages you can fit a car in) On the otherside of the fence is Lords Walk. Considered base housing looks like section 8 housing and patrolled by UK cops Simple crimes like cars broken into is a problem. As it is in most of Europe. There is also Mildenhall housing and housing in Feltwell.

This does make sense financially. It cost the Govt $2500 a month per household to live off base. so 30k a year saved x 300 empty houses quite a bit of money saved.

sandsjames
01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Be prepared to move into housing unless you want to pay the rent out of pocket. (About $2000 for rent). Just got a Memo that all E-1 to E-6 will PCS into housing. The kicker... Lakenheath has new housing. Its pretty nice not british style(closets and garages you can fit a car in) On the otherside of the fence is Lords Walk. Considered base housing looks like section 8 housing and patrolled by UK cops Simple crimes like cars broken into is a problem. As it is in most of Europe. There is also Mildenhall housing and housing in Feltwell.

This does make sense financially. It cost the Govt $2500 a month per household to live off base. so 30k a year saved x 300 empty houses quite a bit of money saved.

That blows. Glad I was there when I was. People couldn't get into housing if they tried. There was about a 10-12 month waiting period. Where they will save big is on the Utility allowance. I think mine was around 750 a month, depending on the going rate.

garhkal
01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
As someone who visited Mildenhall and Lakenheath many a time ( i used to live down the road in Bury St Edmunds) that is a shame they are not letting people out in town to live...

sandsjames
01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
As someone who visited Mildenhall and Lakenheath many a time ( i used to live down the road in Bury St Edmunds) that is a shame they are not letting people out in town to live...

Agreed. Now, instead of having us living in British communities and actually letting the locals see what the majority of American's are like, by being neighbors and making friends, the only time there will be interaction is at the clubs with the annoying drunk American's. Way to work on international relations with our closest ally.

Forsaken Wombat
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Provide the memo. Otherwise, BS flag. There is not enough housing on Lakenheath, Mildenhall, and Feltwell to support all E1-E6 personnel coming in. Even taking into account Sheppard's Grove and Beck Row and other areas of off base privatized housing, it still isn't enough.

This rumor comes and goes at least twice a year.

Next.

***Unless you mean E1-E6 families/married couples, which you did not specify in your OP.

garhkal
01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Agreed. Now, instead of having us living in British communities and actually letting the locals see what the majority of American's are like, by being neighbors and making friends, the only time there will be interaction is at the clubs with the annoying drunk American's. Way to work on international relations with our closest ally.

True dat.. Plus the lack of us spending out in town is also going to be a downer for their economy.

Forsaken Wombat
01-08-2012, 12:19 AM
True dat.. Plus the lack of us spending out in town is also going to be a downer for their economy.

LOL...you really think that Americans contribute THAT much to the leisure economy of the local area? Negative. The pubs, restaurants, and clubs are overwhelmingly filled with the "natives". Unlike some military towns back home (Warner Robins, Fayetteville, Kileen, etc), they don't depend on us solely. The biggest losers, if we left, would be the letting agencies, the industrial wholesalers, contractors, and other businesses who rely on the BIG $$$ from the Air Force, not the measly quid from A1C Thaddeus McBRUWIN's wallet on a Friday night pisser.

A majority of Americans already keep their money close to the base anyhow - shop at the BX, shop at the commissary, shop at the gas station and BXtra, eat on base, and travel outside the local area (usually utilizing on-base ITT).

This is just the kind of thinking that creates animosity between some locals and a lot of the military...that for some reason "they need us". Newsflash: THEY DON'T!

invertedcylinder
01-08-2012, 03:58 AM
http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123284824

invertedcylinder
01-08-2012, 04:00 AM
12/30/2011 - ROYAL AIR FORCE LAKENHEATH, England --
COMPLAINT:

It is going around that soon all E1-E4s with children will be REQUIRED to move into Lords Walk as soon as they arrive (no billeting, just straight into their house), and if they choose to live off base, they will not receive OHA. They may implement the same policy for E5s and E6s as well, and possibly people without kids. I just wanted to know if this is true or a rumor.

RESPONSE:

What you have described is basically true.

These are challenging times and I am constantly assessing existing policies to determine which are still prudent and which need to be changed to meet current conditions. One area that I have identified for potential Air Force savings is our Military Family Housing (MFH) occupancy rate.

The Air Force achieves maximum return on its MFH investment by keeping the occupancy rate high. My goal is to keep it above 98%. To meet this goal, I have authorized a mandatory housing assignment policy. Upon arrival, members that fall into a category where the occupancy rate is below the goal will be directed to move from lodging/temporary housing directly into MFH. This
assignment policy will apply to new arrivals to RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, and RAF Feltwell.

Members will be assigned to the first available MFH unit. This will be the most contentious aspect of the policy, as I am well aware that there are varying levels of desirability for our different housing areas. But it is the fairest means of assigning the housing that our Air Force has invested in. Members will have the option to refuse a directed MFH assignment, but only after they agree to forgo their Overseas Housing Allowances. They will then be paying for their off-base residence completely out of pocket.

While I understand that this will take away some flexibility in choosing off-base housing for new arrivals, we all have a responsibility, in this fiscally tight environment, to do our part to reduce the cost to the United States of our military forces serving overseas. There are many great benefits to living in MFH and there are also plenty of opportunities to get out and experience the local culture. I welcome your questions and your feedback as we implement this policy.

Please feel free to contact Ms. Lani Waikiki, Capital Asset Manager, at 226-3183 or e-mail me directly through the Action Line.

http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123284824

Airborne
01-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Glad I left. I was looking forward to going back maybe at sometime, but if this is the case then maybe not so much. They have just built some new housing on College Heath Road and at Red Lodge and they are widening the A11 between Mildenhall and Thetford which will make that town much more desirable. I was under the impression that housing was already maxed out anyway? I thoroughly enjoyed having British neighbors and being able to drive off base after work and separate myself from the military after work.
The powers that be at those bases are notorious for perpetuating the myth that everything outside of the gates will kill you and that if you go to a pub you will get a bottle broken over your head and if you shop at British supermarkets it will cost you 3/4 of your paycheck and you will get food poisoning to boot. Hopefully this is one of those things that looks good on paper, but wont really work once its implemented and things go back to how they have been.
The immediate area definitely needs the two bases as agriculture alone will not sustain it. But if for whatever reason we did leave the British government is progressive enough that they would transform the region quickly (read: 10-15 years) and turn the bases into international airports or move some RAF assets there. Or perhaps add an actual rail link make it a commuter town.

sigecaps
01-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Why does this just apply to E1-E6? Why not O1-O4 too?

Airborne
01-08-2012, 05:31 AM

Agreed. Im still not seeing where all this housing is coming from. Does anyone know what the occupancy rate has been for the past 3-5 years. Most people are scared to live off base and are waiting to get on. People are waiting 6-8 months to get on. A family of 5 PCSs in, they are supposed to go into a three bedroom because the Air Force cant afford to put them off base? If we cant afford to do business there, then we need to leave.

Forsaken Wombat
01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Okay, so again, this is NOT an issue of "Oh no, ALL E1-E6 will have to live on base!". This is simply a policy akin to Airmen in the dormitories; military family housing will be kept at a 98% occupancy rate before FAMILIIES first are allowed to live off-base.

Well, again, newsflash...Lakenheath housing is maxed out. There is a 4-8 month waiting list just to move in. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Littles...

dan5522
01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I lived over there in the base housing in Thetford. I was scared cause they told us that Thetford is horrible to live in and that your cars will be broken into and houses will be tore up. Well the worst thing that happened while over there is a group of gypsies (sp) was located down the street and a few bikes were stolen. It wasnt horrible, it was GREAT! Did most of our shopping off base and most of our fun we did right there in Thetford or other close by places. Last I heard is that they were closing down that housing and trying to get everyone on base, but base housing wait time was well over 8 months. I dont see how this policy will work.

Forsaken Wombat
01-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I lived over there in the base housing in Thetford. I was scared cause they told us that Thetford is horrible to live in and that your cars will be broken into and houses will be tore up. Well the worst thing that happened while over there is a group of gypsies (sp) was located down the street and a few bikes were stolen. It wasnt horrible, it was GREAT! Did most of our shopping off base and most of our fun we did right there in Thetford or other close by places. Last I heard is that they were closing down that housing and trying to get everyone on base, but base housing wait time was well over 8 months. I dont see how this policy will work.

It won't. That's the point that no one seems to get. There. Aren't. Enough. Houses. For. All. Incoming. E1s. Through. E6s. There aren't even enough houses for families and married couples, thus the waiting list that is almost half of some people's tours.

A smarter policy would be to lower the OHA. The local letting agencies know exactly what our caps are and price their properties to match that. It's not a mystery why I pay close to £900 for a house that a UK national would probably only pay about £250-400 for per month! For a single E5, £500-600/month tops will get a more-than-decent accommodation. The landlords & the letting agents will adjust accordingly.

Also, lower the recurring maintenance/utility allowance. I bank a majority of it; it's ridiculous. The biggest money-vampire is filling up the oil tank if you have a oil-fired boiler.

Airborne
01-08-2012, 07:14 PM
It won't. That's the point that no one seems to get. There. Aren't. Enough. Houses. For. All. Incoming. E1s. Through. E6s. There aren't even enough houses for families and married couples, thus the waiting list that is almost half of some people's tours.

A smarter policy would be to lower the OHA. The local letting agencies know exactly what our caps are and price their properties to match that. It's not a mystery why I pay close to £900 for a house that a UK national would probably only pay about £250-400 for per month! For a single E5, £500-600/month tops will get a more-than-decent accommodation. The landlords & the letting agents will adjust accordingly.

Also, lower the recurring maintenance/utility allowance. I bank a majority of it; it's ridiculous. The biggest money-vampire is filling up the oil tank if you have a oil-fired boiler.

I was big into the home improvement type shows when I was there and it was amazing some of the rents (not counting London) that people would get for their immaculate four bedroom, people in the Mildenhall/Lakenheath area would be lucky to get a 1950s era, grotty, three bedroom. Ive heard locals say they cant afford to live in the area because the rents are artificially inflated in comparison with the national average for similar properties. So if they lowered the caps the landlords and letting agents would have no choice but to lower the rates. I think the water is comparable to a lot of stateside bases, but the fossil fuels are definately more expensive and the utility allowance is needed. Also, if this is the case, how come its not enforced at stateside bases? You have to opt in to base housing as opposed to getting permission etc and opting out.

garhkal
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Cause as with everything else, O's don't have to follow what E's do.

Forsaken Wombat
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I was big into the home improvement type shows when I was there and it was amazing some of the rents (not counting London) that people would get for their immaculate four bedroom, people in the Mildenhall/Lakenheath area would be lucky to get a 1950s era, grotty, three bedroom. Ive heard locals say they cant afford to live in the area because the rents are artificially inflated in comparison with the national average for similar properties. So if they lowered the caps the landlords and letting agents would have no choice but to lower the rates. I think the water is comparable to a lot of stateside bases, but the fossil fuels are definately more expensive and the utility allowance is needed. Also, if this is the case, how come its not enforced at stateside bases? You have to opt in to base housing as opposed to getting permission etc and opting out.

I have a direct debit set up with Anglian Water, e-ON energy, BT, and Goff Petroleum; I pay £35 into each one per month. That covers my water (I get a rebate check every year because I pay more into it than I use), usually covers my electricity (save for about £30 maybe), pays most of my BT, and eases the Petroleum payment. Too many of my buddies use their utility allowance on crap like PS3, rims, and alcohol...

Here's a comedy for you all. There used to be a military housing area in Thetford for officers and SNCOs; it was turned over from the base a few years ago. A local letting agency teamed up with some investors from London, bought the properties, and now they rent those same properties out to military members (families and singles alike)!

We built them.

We subsidized them.

We turned them over to the MoD (now DIO).

They sold them.

Now the AF pays in the form of OHA for people to live there.

=D!!!

Nic
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
The MFR from the 48th wing king stated there were 323 vacant houses. There is a waiting list for Liberty Village because the rest of the housing is slum. The memo (Emailed from my shirt) said if you have less than 18 months left on station you wont be affected. I'm glad I was at the cutoff for Liberty Village when they stopped allowing you to "Reserve" it. I waited 13 months to get in here and love it. I can fit both my cars in my 1 car garage where in Red Lodge I couldn't get my small car in it without climbing through the sunroof to get out. It took me 8 minutes from the time I pulled out of my driveway till I walked in the door at work when I lived at Red Lodge. Now its 20 minutes. If they could just do something about the Trash guys.....

Oh yeah there will be a preference to live at Moldyhole if you work there or Feltwell if you work there. Feltwell has a bunch of empty houses also.

Airborne
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
The MFR from the 48th wing king stated there were 323 vacant houses. There is a waiting list for Liberty Village because the rest of the housing is slum. The memo (Emailed from my shirt) said if you have less than 18 months left on station you wont be affected. I'm glad I was at the cutoff for Liberty Village when they stopped allowing you to "Reserve" it. I waited 13 months to get in here and love it. I can fit both my cars in my 1 car garage where in Red Lodge I couldn't get my small car in it without climbing through the sunroof to get out. It took me 8 minutes from the time I pulled out of my driveway till I walked in the door at work when I lived at Red Lodge. Now its 20 minutes. If they could just do something about the Trash guys.....

Oh yeah there will be a preference to live at Moldyhole if you work there or Feltwell if you work there. Feltwell has a bunch of empty houses also.

Yeh that would suck if you worked at Mildenhall and lived in Mildenhall Village or Red Lodge and had to move to Feltwell. Especially if you have a good house with a good landlord who responds to deficiencies. Then have to add 20 minutes to your commute and move into a slum where nothing gets fixed. Do all those empty houses correspond with family sizes?

Nic
01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
E-5s and 6s get 3 bedrooms even if they have no kids. I looked at a house in Feltwell when I first moved here. Was in it for about a minute and the wife said no way in hell I am living here. The commute alone would suck.

briefer
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
The housing at Feltwell didn't seem all that bad to me, but maybe I just saw the good ones. That's an interesting policy. I'm sure it looks good on paper, but I wonder how long it will take for the CC to realize it ain't gonna work?

akruse
09-10-2013, 12:48 PM
The housing at Feltwell didn't seem all that bad to me, but maybe I just saw the good ones. That's an interesting policy. I'm sure it looks good on paper, but I wonder how long it will take for the CC to realize it ain't gonna work?

Anyone have current info on the housing situation there.

sandsjames
09-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone have current info on the housing situation there.

As far as I know, if you're married you will be on base. Housing is adequate. Nice thing about base is you don't have to worry about transformers as the houses (I believe) have them all built in.

akruse
09-10-2013, 12:57 PM
As far as I know, if you're married you will be on base. Housing is adequate. Nice thing about base is you don't have to worry about transformers as the houses (I believe) have them all built in.

F that noise :) Would much rather be off base but it is what it is. Thanks.

BOSS302
09-10-2013, 01:10 PM

This is incorrect. I have spoken today to the Housing Office for confirmation and the following is the accurate information from their office:

- Married members are no longer required to move into base housing or privatized Lord's Walk housing.

- Married members are authorized to seek housing on the economy and will get their OHA entitlement even if they turn down base housing offered to them

- Married members who turn down an offer for base housing will have their TLA stopped on the day they could have moved into base housing but otherwise will still be allowed to live off-base with their OHA entitlements intact.

You can contact East Anglia Regional Housing Office or the 100 CES Housing Office if you want it straight from the source.

sandsjames
09-10-2013, 01:13 PM
This is incorrect. I have spoken today to the Housing Office for confirmation and the following is the accurate information from their office:

- Married members are no longer required to move into base housing or privatized Lord's Walk housing.

- Married members are authorized to seek housing on the economy and will get their OHA entitlement even if they turn down base housing offered to them

- Married members who turn down an offer for base housing will have their TLA stopped on the day they could have moved into base housing but otherwise will still be allowed to live off-base with their OHA entitlements intact.

You can contact East Anglia Regional Housing Office or the 100 CES Housing Office if you want it straight from the source.

Ahhh...cool...glad they got that straightened out...that was a crappy move in the first place.

BOSS302
09-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Ahhh...cool...glad they got that straightened out...that was a crappy move in the first place.

When you drive by now, like you're going out the back gate and towards RAF Mildenhall, they have these banners up that advertise "NEW COMMUNITY HOUSING LORD'S WALK!". Big banners with panoramic pictures of the two "nice" looking Lord's Walk houses...taken on a bright summer day. The banners are flanked by some billowy blue flags that one usually sees when a brand new apartment complex opens in suburbia.

Yet driving by it on a typical English day, it looks like someone airlifted a Detroit neighborhood and dropped it splat near RAFL...

akruse
09-10-2013, 03:40 PM

You the man. Thanks.

akruse
09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
When you drive by now, like you're going out the back gate and towards RAF Mildenhall, they have these banners up that advertise "NEW COMMUNITY HOUSING LORD'S WALK!". Big banners with panoramic pictures of the two "nice" looking Lord's Walk houses...taken on a bright summer day. The banners are flanked by some billowy blue flags that one usually sees when a brand new apartment complex opens in suburbia.

Yet driving by it on a typical English day, it looks like someone airlifted a Detroit neighborhood and dropped it splat near RAFL...

Yeah it looked terrible when I left 4 years ago. I'm sure its improved a lot :)

Silverback
09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I thought Lord's Walk was going back to the British, just like Thetford, New Market, and a few other "base housings" did?

BOSS302
09-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I thought Lord's Walk was going back to the British, just like Thetford, New Market, and a few other "base housings" did?

It became "privatized" sometime around 2009. The USAF remains committed to Lord's Walk until 2018. I'm going to call today and find out the status of Lord's Walk because now William H. Brown (a region letting office) is advertising Lord's Walk for rent to anyone. So perhaps the USAF sold-off Lord's Walk at a loss or something...

wxjumper
09-11-2013, 02:27 PM
LOL...you really think that Americans contribute THAT much to the leisure economy of the local area? Negative. The pubs, restaurants, and clubs are overwhelmingly filled with the "natives". Unlike some military towns back home (Warner Robins, Fayetteville, Kileen, etc), they don't depend on us solely. The biggest losers, if we left, would be the letting agencies, the industrial wholesalers, contractors, and other businesses who rely on the BIG $$$ from the Air Force, not the measly quid from A1C Thaddeus McBRUWIN's wallet on a Friday night pisser.

A majority of Americans already keep their money close to the base anyhow - shop at the BX, shop at the commissary, shop at the gas station and BXtra, eat on base, and travel outside the local area (usually utilizing on-base ITT).

This is just the kind of thinking that creates animosity between some locals and a lot of the military...that for some reason "they need us". Newsflash: THEY DON'T!

It will destroy the housing market which will have a ripple effect on the economy. All those rentals going unfilled, all those owners now looking to unload those rentals, an over abundance of houses in the market, real estate prices implode. That is all you need to destroy their little economy.

When I was at Ramstien, there was almost a revolt in the local community when the base announced it was going to expand its on base housing in the KMC area. They held a Town Hall meeting with the locals and it was packed out the door with people. Civic leaders, Mayors, even regional delegations petitioned the base not to do this.

If you think that US Serviceman don't have a big positive impact on the local community's they live in overseas, you will get a shock of a life time when you try to do something like create more base housing or better yet, close the base itself.

giggawatt
09-11-2013, 05:27 PM
It will destroy the housing market which will have a ripple effect on the economy. All those rentals going unfilled, all those owners now looking to unload those rentals, an over abundance of houses in the market, real estate prices implode. That is all you need to destroy their little economy.

When I was at Ramstien, there was almost a revolt in the local community when the base announced it was going to expand its on base housing in the KMC area. They held a Town Hall meeting with the locals and it was packed out the door with people. Civic leaders, Mayors, even regional delegations petitioned the base not to do this.

If you think that US Serviceman don't have a big positive impact on the local community's they live in overseas, you will get a shock of a life time when you try to do something like create more base housing or better yet, close the base itself.

HUGE difference between the KMC and Lakenheath/Mildenhall village. The economies of the surrounding area around Lakenheath/Mildenhall are supported by the "other" foreigners. I.E. the Polish and Lithuanian population around Brandon and Thetford.

Lakenheath or Mildenhall closing wouldn't have any where near the impact of Ramstein closing.

Sorry, what was the question again?

sharkhunter
09-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah it looked terrible when I left 4 years ago. I'm sure its improved a lot :)

Been here for 3.5 years, not much has changed.
Property crime is still high in this area since the SPs do not patrol the area and neither do the local police.
Lots of trash all over the place. Even with the new bilboards, I think it's really false advertisment because the area is not beautiful as they make it seem.