PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Certificate

71Fish
12-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Ive seen it touched on here before but I thought I'd start a new thread in case anyone else was interested.

Is there a way to get a previous living President's signature on a retirement certificate? Politics aside, I'd like a sig of H.W. Bush since he was prez when I joined. Now, I have asked my MPF and was told no, it has to be the current prez. Were they just being lazy in their answer or is there really no way to get a different signature? Thanks

ART
12-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Try contacting his office directly. I remember doing something similar for a guy after Reagan left office.

Measure Man
12-02-2011, 11:44 PM
I"ve known of people getting letters from former Presidents, but never heard of the retirement certificate being signed by a former.

SgtS
12-03-2011, 12:49 AM
I could totally be talking out my ass here, because I am just making a conjecture (just had to add that caveat) ... but does a former President even have the command authority to actually retire anyone at all? They are no longer Commander in Chief, so my guess is they no longer have the legal authority to sign a retirement order.

BadBender
12-03-2011, 01:48 AM
I have read that a retired Officer can re-enlist an Airman so why couldn't a former President sign a retirement certificate?

SENDBILLMONEY
12-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Ive seen it touched on here before but I thought I'd start a new thread in case anyone else was interested.

Is there a way to get a previous living President's signature on a retirement certificate? Politics aside, I'd like a sig of H.W. Bush since he was prez when I joined. Now, I have asked my MPF and was told no, it has to be the current prez. Were they just being lazy in their answer or is there really no way to get a different signature? Thanks

I doubt you'll get any former president to sign a retirement certificate (an official government document) invoking presidential/commander-in-chief authority he no longer has. Since you mentioned GHWB, you might want to write him at the following address and request a letter commemorating your retirement:

Office of George H.W. Bush
P.O. Box 79798
Houston TX 77279-9798

BTW, this is completely unlike having a retired officer administer the enlistment or commissioning oaths. An officer on the retired list is still an officer, just one in retired status. A former president receives some federal benefits under the Former Presidents Act and is accorded many courtesies according to protocol, but retains no military authority.

Tak
12-03-2011, 02:16 AM
I suggest checking with your DAPS people, see if they kept older ones with former pres. Mock certs are authorized. We always had extra in graphics when new Csaf etc certs came out.

71Fish
12-03-2011, 05:19 AM
I could totally be talking out my ass here, because I am just making a conjecture (just had to add that caveat) ... but does a former President even have the command authority to actually retire anyone at all? They are no longer Commander in Chief, so my guess is they no longer have the legal authority to sign a retirement order.

You're probably not talking out of your ass. The MPF guy forwarded me the e-mail of where he got his answer. It was from the Pentagon (forget the office), so former Presidents not having command authority makes sense.

20MM
12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Request a flag that was flown over the nations capital form a member of congress, I did that they have an online process, of course you have to pay for the flag but it's bigger than the one retirement services will hand you when you out-process during that anti-climatic period of your life and the new chapter begins.

Thanks for your service, that may sound kind of cheesy now but in a few years you'll know what I'm talking about.

imported_BRAVO10000
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Meh. My retirement certificate was signed by BHO. Well...the rubber stamp used to sign it matched his signature, anyway. I had a very good CSS, so I also ended up with a letter from every living president that I served under. Tragically, I could not get Reagan.

Orion
12-03-2011, 11:46 AM

You can only get letters from previous presidents, CMSAF, senators etc. Your Certificate of Retirement will be signed by your WG/CC and Chief Of Staff USAF. The Current Commander in Chief will sign a certificate of appreciation.

Unfortunately, this has become very "Political" in recent years. We have had people decline the certificate at the ceremony, sometimes with commentary. Retirees are a now supposed to be specifically asked if they want the certificate included in the ceremony. I won't mention the base, but at one point retirements became a forum to bash everything that is wrong with the AF today. Certain SNCO's and Officers would have "Standing Room only" because the airmen knew it was cheap entertainment. This unprofessional conduct has died down but not completely.

I've noticed allot of people just decline a ceremony, People just don't seem proud about the USAF anymore and just want to put it behind them.

Pullinteeth
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Ok, apparently what you get from the Pres isn't your actual retirement certificate, it is a letter of appreciation from the sitting president. The actual retirement order is signed by the service chief (I think). AFPC gets the LoA from the sitting Pres and if you want someone else to sign it, it is on you to get it done and at their discretion to sign it. I was told some of the addresses can be found here;

http://www.military.com/benefits/retiree/navy-retirement-letter

20+Years
12-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I won't retire under the current prez... just don't want his sig. If he gets re-elected - guess I'll re-up for another 4 too.

Luvnlife
12-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Good question, and I couldnt even tell you where my retirement certificate is.

YaKkO
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I won't retire under the current prez... just don't want his sig. If he gets re-elected - guess I'll re-up for another 4 too.

This made me laugh! :peace

imported_oih82w8
12-07-2011, 06:17 PM
That is what I used to think (reupping under the current administration to avoid bho facsimile signature), then the HYT changes came around two years ago...I would love to have similar actions (letter reaccomplished) under G.W. Bush.

KC-10FE
08-22-2013, 06:27 AM
I found the following website that has the contact information for former US Presidents. I just coordinated a retirement ceremony and was able to procure a certificate from former POTUS, the Honorable Mr. George W. Bush. The website is: http://federalretirement.net/gifts.htm#_Presidential_letters_of_appreciation_fr om_former_presidents Good Luck!