PDA

View Full Version : War-zone Marines eating like cavemen

CommunityEditor
10-25-2011, 02:23 PM
By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Oct 25, 2011 9:11:39 EDT

GARMSER, Afghanistan — Lt. Col. Sean Riordan used to consider himself chubby. It never kept him from meeting the Marine Corps’ height and weight standards or from scoring in the 280-plus echelon on his physical fitness test. He just chalked up his less-than-desirable physique to genetics.

But Riordan’s not chubby anymore, and he has one man to thank for inspiring him to change: a portly Iraqi sergeant major who smiled broadly and remarked to Riordan that he was getting fat, patting his own round belly to accentuate the point.

That was in 2008, after a yearlong deployment in Iraq. Today, Riordan has washboard abs and says he feels healthier than ever. His secret lies in a new fitness regimen ... Read the rest of the story here (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/10/marine-war-zone-marines-eating-like-cavemen-102511/).

----------------------------

What do you think about the paleo diet? Have you tried it? Do you think Marines should be encouraged to use this plan?

JordanDay
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I envy people that had the time and resources to stay so physically fit while in combat. My team and I returned from Afghanistan extremely thin from a year of rationed MREs, constant missions and stress.

I think these warfighters need to reevaluate their usefulness down range.

imported_CplVelociraptor
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Marines should be following guidelines for nutrition recommended by health professionals. Kudos to the Colonel on his successes using this program, but it's important to keep an eyebrow raised at fully adopting a program for all individuals in your command simply based on your personal experience with it. Lieutenant Colonel as a prefix does not equal Registered Dietitian as a suffix.

Banned
10-28-2011, 04:00 AM
If you're snorting creatine and doing cross fit while on deployment... you might be a fobbit.

JordanDay
10-28-2011, 07:10 PM
If you're snorting creatine and doing cross fit while on deployment... you might be a fobbit.

Joe, you just made my day!

Goldy
10-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Wow, thats great for guys who have the food selection to do a diet downrange. For the rest of us though, we get to choose from chicken breast and veggie omelet MRE's. I don't get to choose to eat like a cave man... I am in a position of eating like a Marime.

...remf's.

steve_cobra
10-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I have no problem with them being able to sustain their diet because they are on the fob......he is the BN Cmdr....I think he probably has an idea where he needs to be to command and control his BN.

My problem is with his thinking that it was ok to take stupid photos of him without a shirt in green silkies to be paraded in the MC Times. Seriously, what are you thinking, LtCol? Is that REALLY the image you want people to remember of 1/3 downrange in Afghanistan?

JD2780
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM

I guess hundreds of ODAs are fobbits. I didnt know everybody was cruising and walking around Iraq 24/7.

efmbman
04-09-2013, 12:45 PM
You guys realize this thread was dormant for 5 months, right?

Assaultdog0351
04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
This was the craze for a total of 6 months... back to what's on the chow hall menu devil dogs... only one meat