PDA

View Full Version : bonehead pt move

Tak
09-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Got 97. Something on pt test today. Was exempted from pushups, shoulder injury. So I go to give it to unit program coord and say, see ya in a year and she says see ya in six months...then it hits me, any exemption means detest in six...I felt like a ratard...they kind of penalize profiles. I could have risked the shoulder, did no profile, only had minimum of 27 and it would have been still over 90, but didn't want to risk shoulder. The pt program is for the birds. No difference career wise if you get a 75 or 100. Hell, when your 37, things start breaking down...I had a 32 in waist, 56 crunches and 10:23 run...

imported_Sgt HULK
09-08-2011, 05:40 AM
is everyone in the af on a profile?

imported_StandardsAMust
09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm shocked you didn't know that, no wait...I'm not shocked:

3. Airmen who score an Excellent but were medically exempt from testing in one or more of the
four components will continue to test twice a year. Airmen who score Satisfactory (89.9 and
below) or Unsatisfactory (74.9 and below) will continue to test IAW AFI 36-2905, para 2.11 and

also, as of 1 Sep 11:

FITNESS READINESS STATUS
Current 254492 (78.1%)
Exempt 12862 (3.9%)
Not Current 55005 (16.9%)
Never Tested 3289 (1.0%)
Total 325648 100%

AEROBIC TEST
1.5 Mile 220226 (86.5%)
Sub maximal 13616 (5.4%)
Component Aerobic
Exemption 20650 (8.1%)
Total 254492 100%

COMPONENT EXEMPTION
Abdominal 68 (0.0%)
Aerobic 20650 (8.1%)
Sit-ups 18895 (7.4%)
Push-ups 21924 (8.6%)

F16TSgt
09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
is everyone in the af on a profile?

No, not everyone. I think the reason there are more profiles then before is because of the ramifications of failing a PT test. The AF has made the consequences so lopsided (pass vs. fail) that people are over training and ultimately hurting themselves. This PT fiasco is to the point now that if you go to the clinic and tell them you are having pain in your knees, shoulders or back, the first question they ask you is, when your next PT test is. Of anyone that I have know on a waiver, they have a legit reason. Its not like 10 years ago where people would get a waiver to get out of a deployment. It seems that the AF has threaten peoples careers to the point they are hurting themselves in order to maintain fitness. I don't disagree with the PT program, but I do disagree with the enforcement.

ammo071
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I took over as the UFPM a while back for my squadron. Needless to say my email box blew up with profiles. Some of them are legit and some of them seem a little shady. The ones that are especially shady are the ones that happen the day prior, the day of, or during the test.

Nickymaz
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
No, not everyone. I think the reason there are more profiles then before is because of the ramifications of failing a PT test. The AF has made the consequences so lopsided (pass vs. fail) that people are over training and ultimately hurting themselves. This PT fiasco is to the point now that if you go to the clinic and tell them you are having pain in your knees, shoulders or back, the first question they ask you is, when your next PT test is. Of anyone that I have know on a waiver, they have a legit reason. Its not like 10 years ago where people would get a waiver to get out of a deployment. It seems that the AF has threaten peoples careers to the point they are hurting themselves in order to maintain fitness. I don't disagree with the PT program, but I do disagree with the enforcement.

I agree, I think it's a real shame we are putting this kind of pressure on people. I think if they made the program more constructive it would reap more actual fitness improvements than threatening people's careers.

MACHINE666
09-08-2011, 11:57 AM

I second this agreement. I wouldn't be a walking MEB if it weren't for the fact that I abused my body under this "do or die" mentality that has engulfed PT and its impact on people's careers now. Well said, sir.

imported_StandardsAMust
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
The Air Force Times is asking the question...."Is the PT Test too easy?'

Answer: Yes. Here's why:

The 91% pass rate quoted by the AF is misleading. If you account for the 20k or so on profiles, about 19k of them should be failing. Most are on a profile to avoid testing.

Female run standards are pathetic. An 18 yr old female can run a 16:22 mile and half and pass the test? Men the same age are given 13:36? Why almost a THREE minute window? Most females can walk a few laps and still pass. The older they get, the longer they get to run...some, nearly 20 mins.

The walk test is the biggest joke going. Once you put some complicated formula to determine a score that must factor HR, then you are asking for trouble. Either re-distribute the points higher, or ditch it.

Exemptions: Too many gaming the system: Simple...if you are exempt from any component, don't allow them to test. Everyone must wait until profile expires. If EPRs/OPRs are closing, fine...mark them EXEMPT (put MEDICAL) next to it and move on...if Johnny/Jill stay on for more than a year....automatic MEB.

P/U: Raise the minimum to match the S/Us and ensure they do them right...I think the FACs and counters are too lax again...we are back to counting all movements again.

MACHINE666
09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

The 91% pass rate quoted by the AF is misleading. If you account for the 20k or so on profiles, about 19k of them should be failing. Most are on a profile to avoid testing.

Female run standards are pathetic. An 18 yr old female can run a 16:22 mile and half and pass the test? Men the same age are given 13:36? Why almost a THREE minute window? Most females can walk a few laps and still pass. The older they get, the longer they get to run...some, nearly 20 mins.

The walk test is the biggest joke going. Once you put some complicated formula to determine a score that must factor HR, then you are asking for trouble. Either re-distribute the points higher, or ditch it.

Exemptions: Too many gaming the system: Simple...if you are exempt from any component, don't allow them to test. Everyone must wait until profile expires. If EPRs/OPRs are closing, fine...mark them EXEMPT (put MEDICAL) next to it and move on...if Johnny/Jill stay on for more than a year....automatic MEB.

P/U: Raise the minimum to match the S/Us and ensure they do them right...I think the FACs and counters are too lax again...we are back to counting all movements again.

Here dude, you've earned this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/5433954391_24fb0a93d7.jpg

THE TOOL AWARD

F16TSgt
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm not going to take shots at you but I think you are generalizing too much. Everyone has a case. One of my guys was in a car accident a year ago and still has back problems, does he deserve a MEB? Another one hurt his shoulder playing SQUADRON intramural football, should he be MEB'd too? Myself, I've had two surgeries to fix an injury I incured while on the flightline, and though I can still PT and still test, the pain and swelling is coming back. So should I be MEB'd along with them? My point is that every profile has a reason. Those that use the system to skate by are making life even more difficult for those folks that are actually injured and need time to recoup. The attitude you took in your statement is exactly what is wrong with the AF's attitude towards its own people.

JD2780
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes it's a joke.

imported_StandardsAMust
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm not going to take shots at you but I think you are generalizing too much. Everyone has a case. One of my guys was in a car accident a year ago and still has back problems, does he deserve a MEB? Another one hurt his shoulder playing SQUADRON intramural football, should he be MEB'd too? Myself, I've had two surgeries to fix an injury I incured while on the flightline, and though I can still PT and still test, the pain and swelling is coming back. So should I be MEB'd along with them? My point is that every profile has a reason. Those that use the system to skate by are making life even more difficult for those folks that are actually injured and need time to recoup. The attitude you took in your statement is exactly what is wrong with the AF's attitude towards its own people.

If you re-read my post, you will see that I say there are some legit ones...most are fake to avoid some or all parts of the test.

Pullinteeth
09-08-2011, 04:05 PM
If you re-read my post, you will see that I say there are some legit ones...most are fake to avoid some or all parts of the test.

Any data to support your claim?

PburghNo1
09-08-2011, 04:09 PM

What's "Most"? Numbers or I don't buy it. How exactly do you determine what's fake and what's not? When did you get appointed the sole aribiter of determining that?

You're just one of those people who seems to think they're better than everyone else, to include the medical professionals that evaluate the patients for these waivers. Lord, would I hate to work for you...

imported_StandardsAMust
09-08-2011, 04:36 PM
What's "Most"? Numbers or I don't buy it. How exactly do you determine what's fake and what's not? When did you get appointed the sole aribiter of determining that?

You're just one of those people who seems to think they're better than everyone else, to include the medical professionals that evaluate the patients for these waivers. Lord, would I hate to work for you...
You do work for me...and you love it.

Anyway...fake profiles are easy to spot. One, you have to know who is on one...and most of you won't. But I see them all. I know everyone that is on a profile. Two, the ones that are on them, you would be surprised. Three, the ones that get on them just before their PT Test raise all the red flags in the world.

Medical professionals? :blah

DWWSWWD
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Anyway...fake profiles are easy to spot. One, you have to know who is on one...and most of you won't. But I see them all. I know everyone that is on a profile. Two, the ones that are on them, you would be surprised. Three, the ones that get on them just before their PT Test raise all the red flags in the world.
Knowing your people is key. Let me offer something on getting a profile just prior to a PT test. Today, my back is a little tweaked. At lunch, I'm going to go run 3 miles. Obviously, I'm not debilitated, but definitely have an issue that almost certainly will work itself out in a few days. So I can run and I can do my job. Could I max my push-ups right now? Could I get the minimum number of sit-ups? Not 100% sure. If I had a test due tomorrow, I'd be rolling on over to the clinic and seeing a doc. I'm not due for almost a year, so my time at the clinic would be taking time from someone that needs it.

PburghNo1
09-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Yeah, I guess I do in the we all work for the taxpayers manner. If that helps you sleep at night, keep thinking that.

Definitely professionals. Nothing more needs to be said.

Done with this. You obviously are someone looking to see who you can spin up. Good luck with that.

Floridaboy
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Got 97. Something on pt test today. Was exempted from pushups, shoulder injury. So I go to give it to unit program coord and say, see ya in a year and she says see ya in six months...then it hits me, any exemption means detest in six...I felt like a ratard...they kind of penalize profiles. I could have risked the shoulder, did no profile, only had minimum of 27 and it would have been still over 90, but didn't want to risk shoulder. The pt program is for the birds. No difference career wise if you get a 75 or 100. Hell, when your 37, things start breaking down...I had a 32 in waist, 56 crunches and 10:23 run...

Tear the shoulder up and then take your disability check at the end...

Pullinteeth
09-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I actually think SAAM might be on to something here. Just git rid of the facade that someone that is exempt from a portion scored an EXCELLENT and just have them not test until they can test on all components. That will also alleviate the complaint of the ppl who "test" waist only and complain that they fail because they can't exercise... Everybody wins.

Desk Pilot
09-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm not saying there aren't some scammers out there... there certainly are. But you have to know the people as has been stated. I was accused of trying to be a scammer (my profile request was originally denied due to "lack of evidence") because I kept complaining about my knee and all x-rays kept showing negative. So, what did I do? In spite of barely being able to run without any type of pain, put on the knee brace, gutted it out, passed (with a low score, but passed nonetheless), fell out after run gripping my knee in agony. They finally ordered an MRI and discovered a torn meniscus that was previously unseen in the X-Ray. Still dealing with issues on that as I recover.

Far more detailed than that, but didn't want to write an epic novel.

Bael
09-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Everybody? As in, everybody in the whole Air Force?

Why would you possibly have access to that information? HOW could you have access to that information?

How detailed is the information to which you have access, how regularly are you accessing it, and why are you bragging about that fact on a public forum?

Bael
09-12-2011, 10:08 AM

There is absolutely no way you can determine, from raw data, which profiles are for legitimate injuries and which ones are the result of malingering. If you have access to names, diagnoses, medical histories, and similar information, I would very much like to know why.

usafshelland
09-16-2011, 01:47 AM

So you're saying that I should never execute a PT test again because I had left shoulder surgery? I don't think my profile is going anywhere but on my record. Good I have a desk job, then I know the MEB won't kick me out...as long as I can type.

gumbo31
09-16-2011, 02:03 AM
1. You should know what the AFI says--it's your career
2. Test again in a month and get a 90

Tak
09-16-2011, 02:21 PM
1. You should know what the AFI says--it's your career
2. Test again in a month and get a 90

1) I am sure you know every word of the afi.
2) no

imported_StandardsAMust
09-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Everybody? As in, everybody in the whole Air Force?

Why would you possibly have access to that information? HOW could you have access to that information?

How detailed is the information to which you have access, how regularly are you accessing it, and why are you bragging about that fact on a public forum?

Absolutely...I do...

Z1911
09-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I took over as the UFPM a while back for my squadron. Needless to say my email box blew up with profiles. Some of them are legit and some of them seem a little shady. The ones that are especially shady are the ones that happen the day prior, the day of, or during the test.

Well now! It seems some congratulations are in order for "DOCTOR" Ammo!

I didn't know that being certified ("trained") to be a UFPM also came with the granting of a medical degree! What a fabulous way for USAFCo to save money! USAFCo no longer has to pay for someone to go through medical school, internship, and residency. All they have to do is complete some sorry ass CBT and get signed off by some GS-02 at the HAWC!

Way to go! You need to fill out an AF Form 1046, AF Form 2288, AF IMT 3215, or AF Form 1067 (IDEA program submission) and get yourself some of that free money!

Sarcasm bent is now over. We now return you to your normally scheduled program now in progress...

Shaken1976
07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
are PT tests still not profile friendly or are they?

Still not. I will never be able to do push ups again. So will test every six months no matter what. But can still do my job and al, that. Also if you are exempt from all but waist your waist has to be 1.5 inches smaller. After two back to back car accidents I am finally able to work out again without constant pain. I have lost 21 lbs. but somehow nothing off my waist.... It's a joke.

Oh and girlie testing next to me does 2 legit push ups but gets 32 counted. She did 12 legit crunches....again 47 are counted. Then I see her talking to old boy later. Me? I think next week when I test I am gonna tuck a $50 in my waist band. Lol

PT GOD
07-12-2013, 04:28 AM
anyone with a profile is a scammer, i once ran my 1.5 in 8 minutes with a broke foot. I did 200 pushups in 1 min with a dislocated shoulder..I did 250 situps with a hangover and a case of the runs...and my waist is always a trim 28 inches...you should see my abs....just thinking about them right now makes me want to rip my shirt off and oil them up