PDA

View Full Version : Army Suicide Rate Hits New High

candycane3482
08-14-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/army-suicides-set-record-in-july/2011/08/12/gIQAfbGlBJ_story.html

http://battleland.blogs.time.com/2011/08/12/army-suicide-rate-hits-new-high/

The U.S. Army suffered a record 32 suicides in July, the most since it began releasing monthly figures in 2009.

The high number of deaths represents a setback for the Army, which has put a heavy focus on reducing suicides in recent years. The number includes 22 active-duty soldiers and 10 reservists. The previous record was 31, from June 2010.

Not sure what can be done to curb this. I don't think the numbers will dwindle after we withdrawal either - I think the deployments are just exacerbating issues that people already have and leading to this end result.

MisterBen
08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I appreciate you posting the article that I listed in your thread. Did not mean to hijack. I guess I am more concerned about this than of the other issue and that is no fault of yours. Resiliency training has been at full throttle and this is the lastest result of suicides so that message is not seeping into the masses.

I am aware that this was never be fully preventable like anything else but it is a shame that it has reached a peak at this point.

candycane3482
08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I appreciate you posting the article that I listed in your thread. Did not mean to hijack. I guess I am more concerned about this than of the other issue and that is no fault of yours. Resiliency training has been at full throttle and this is the lastest result of suicides so that message is not seeping into the masses.

I am aware that this was never be fully preventable like anything else but it is a shame that it has reached a peak at this point.

I Googled Army suicides and posted the first two I found. I figured someone else would post it because other articles I commented on got posted before I could. If it meant that much to you, you should have posted it. I could care less either way because I'll post on whichever issues I want to post on and you can do the same.

MisterBen
08-14-2011, 11:16 PM
You can post whatever you like. That does not mean you will always receive a positive response and kudos from it. Deal with it or scat :)

candycane3482
08-15-2011, 12:40 AM
You can post whatever you like. That does not mean you will always receive a positive response and kudos from it. Deal with it or scat :)

Ditto to you...

Thunderhorse19
08-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks for posting this info...all of the services have high suicide rates. I believe the Marines still have the highest rate of suicide. The AF and Navy continue to cover up their suicide rates. Also, be advised, the VA says there has been 6,000 veterans killing themselves each year. Back in 2005, a one-star friend of mine committed suicide after finding out his 2nd wife was unfaithful. This epidemic is not limited to the enlisted ranks.

candycane3482
08-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for posting this info...all of the services have high suicide rates. I believe the Marines still have the highest rate of suicide. The AF and Navy continue to cover up their suicide rates. Also, be advised, the VA says there has been 6,000 veterans killing themselves each year. Back in 2005, a one-star friend of mine committed suicide after finding out his 2nd wife was unfaithful. This epidemic is not limited to the enlisted ranks.

I just don't think we'll ever find a way to end suicides either in the military or civilian world. It's something that's occurred as long as humans have existed and there will always be people who just feel that they have no other options. It's too bad because one suicide is one too many.

imported_DannyJ
08-15-2011, 04:34 AM
After working with the Army in a joint environment, I can tell you they SH*T on their people really bad. Seriously. It's like a game to see who can stress someone out the most. This kind of ridiculous behavior leaves very little question in my mind to what the cause "might" be. It's a culture of disrespect, one-up-manship, and masocism.

candycane3482
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
After working with the Army in a joint environment, I can tell you they SH*T on their people really bad. Seriously. It's like a game to see who can stress someone out the most. This kind of ridiculous behavior leaves very little question in my mind to what the cause "might" be. It's a culture of disrespect, one-up-manship, and masocism.

After working with the Air Force in a joint environment let me tell you that the ARMY has gotten shit on BY the Air Force in charge of us because they didn't understand how we do things and expected us to fall in line with their way of business. It got fixed when we finally got an Army senior NCO but the time I've been here, the Army was disrespected and mistreated by the Air Force and treated like we're nothing.

Not everyone in the Army "shits" on their people really bad. There are some good leaders. I've seen nothing but one up manship between the services benig here and the AF (not all but most) acting like they're better than us.

Creaminess
08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Let's not turn this into a service vs. service dispute and instead figure out if we can pinpoint any common threads between suicides and how to stem the rise.

I'm personally at a loss because other than the mandatory suicide prevention training we get, I have no training on identifying those most at risk. Sure, we have the stats, but something those stats don't always tell us is what's going on in the person's life that might trigger suicidal thoughts or actions.

candycane3482
08-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Let's not turn this into a service vs. service dispute and instead figure out if we can pinpoint any common threads between suicides and how to stem the rise.

I'm personally at a loss because other than the mandatory suicide prevention training we get, I have no training on identifying those most at risk. Sure, we have the stats, but something those stats don't always tell us is what's going on in the person's life that might trigger suicidal thoughts or actions.

Wasn't trying to turn anything into service vs service - but he was wrong about stereotyping the entire Army like that. Every service has shitty leaders I bet.

Sometimes you can't tell the signs until it's too late - and it seems most people don't tell anyone that they're going to do it. It's always after the fact people say they should have seen the signs but hindsight is always 20/20. I guess you just have to know your battle buddies, soldiers and even those higher in rank than you. If something even seems the slightest bit off, you should talk (general you).

I mean, the guy in my unit that killed himself, I never saw it coming. He was a little - slow but he was a very nice guy, always cheery and even when people made fun of him, he just seemed to laugh it off. But I never knew he had other issues that came before the Army. He wasn't in my section so I didn't work around him a lot.

Measure Man
08-16-2011, 02:14 AM
It's always after the fact people say they should have seen the signs but hindsight is always 20/20.

I agree that hindsight is 20/20 on these. I've been close to a couple of suicides...and the after investigation always comes up with some signals the guy was giving off that could've been interpreted as suicidal...and then they say "the supervisors/friends could have prevented this"

...OTOH, nearly everyone gives of something that could later be interpreted as a suicidal sign...if we sent all those folks off, then we would all be at mental health...

I dunno...this is one issue that I wish I had an answer for, but have no clue

candycane3482
08-16-2011, 03:32 AM
I agree that hindsight is 20/20 on these. I've been close to a couple of suicides...and the after investigation always comes up with some signals the guy was giving off that could've been interpreted as suicidal...and then they say "the supervisors/friends could have prevented this"

...OTOH, nearly everyone gives of something that could later be interpreted as a suicidal sign...if we sent all those folks off, then we would all be at mental health...

I dunno...this is one issue that I wish I had an answer for, but have no clue

I'm not saying send everyone to mental health because they're depressed or down - but if you notice someone is feeling down, sad, depressed, etc just talking to them might be the thing that stops them from continuing down that dark path that could lead to suicide. I mean everyone has down days. Everyone gets down on their luck once in awhile and might feel hopeless, or the world is against them, but if they have someone in their life to talk to it could be the thing that picks them up or helps them see it's not hopeless.

Itisshogi
07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks for posting!

Creaminess
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Wasn't trying to turn anything into service vs service - but he was wrong about stereotyping the entire Army like that. Every service has shitty leaders I bet.

Concur.