PDA

View Full Version : Impotent, Incompetent, Fools

Battleshort
06-09-2011, 12:39 AM
These are the keywords of the IT morons at the Military Times webpage staff.

Discuss.

CVal
06-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Now, Battleshort, they do sometimes get stuff right. However, requiring a password change on the heels of a cyber attack and not informing the members of said change was a bit, um...., shortsighted. I wasn't sure whether I should do it. It could have been an effort to collect passwords.

Battleshort
06-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Alice did a much better job than these maroons. The new staff has failed totally in their efforts. Activity in the Forum is STILL down and now a "cyber attack" {{{{{{snortle}}}}} has them really confused.

Not buying it.

Administrator
06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
The Military Times family of websites suffered a cyber attack Tuesday. Affected were MilitaryTimes.com, Army Times.com, NavyTimes.com, Air ForceTimes.com, MarineCorpsTimes.com, and sister site DefenseNews.com. Some users were unable to access parts or all of the websites. Out of an abundance of caution we are asking users of the Military Times Forums to reset their passwords. We deeply regret any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

Battleshort
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
The Military Times family of websites suffered a cyber attack Tuesday. Affected were MilitaryTimes.com, Army Times.com, NavyTimes.com, Air ForceTimes.com, MarineCorpsTimes.com, and sister site DefenseNews.com. Some users were unable to access parts or all of the websites. Out of an abundance of caution we are asking users of the Military Times Forums to reset their passwords. We deeply regret any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

Sweet of you. But why do we have to reset it daily?

combatgf
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Anyone seen the bath salts?

Administrator
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
The vBullentin admin tools are limited at best and we'll get this sorted out later this morning. As you can imagine our IT folks are conducting a complete security audit and we'll have to make some changes moving forward. A likely consequence of this attack will require users to reset their passwords on a more consistent basis (e.g. every 120 days, not daily).

candycane3482
06-09-2011, 12:03 PM

If you're an IT guru and you can do better, then why don't you volunteer your services if this forum is so important to you? I'm pretty sure they are doing the best they can.

Yes it's annoying to reset a password daily but no one said you had to be on this forum.

LogDog
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
When I tried to log in this afternoon, I received notification that I would have to change my password. The information to change the password looked like the standard type of request but what caught my attention was it asked for my email. On other forums, I never had to provide my email address since it was already recorded in their system. Also, in the email confirmation box it already had an address which made me think it may be a redirect program.

I emailed the administrator with my concerns and within an hour and an additional email with more information he had looked into it and told me it was okay. On other forums I'd have to wait a day or two before getting a response so getting a response within about an hour is IMO very good service. I agree that they should have posted a notice on the website indicating an attack and the need to change passwords.

candycane3482
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
When I tried to log in this afternoon, I received notification that I would have to change my password. The information to change the password looked like the standard type of request but what caught my attention was it asked for my email. On other forums, I never had to provide my email address since it was already recorded in their system. Also, in the email confirmation box it already had an address which made me think it may be a redirect program.

I emailed the administrator with my concerns and within an hour and an additional email with more information he had looked into it and told me it was okay. On other forums I'd have to wait a day or two before getting a response so getting a response within about an hour is IMO very good service. I agree that they should have posted a notice on the website indicating an attack and the need to change passwords.

They did post the cyber attack message shortly after I messaged them but I didn't see the password reset until I had to reset my password twice in the last two days.

It is what it is. Cyber attackers seem to just want to hit everything they can. Practice? I don't know.

LogDog
06-10-2011, 12:04 AM
They did post the cyber attack message shortly after I messaged them but I didn't see the password reset until I had to reset my password twice in the last two days.

It is what it is. Cyber attackers seem to just want to hit everything they can. Practice? I don't know.
I believe it was google who notified me that the website was unsafe and that there had been two cyber attacks in the past couple of days when I tried to enter the website.

candycane3482
06-10-2011, 01:36 AM
I believe it was google who notified me that the website was unsafe and that there had been two cyber attacks in the past couple of days when I tried to enter the website.

Yeah and I had a message when I tried to go the website on Firefox and not on IE. As soon as that happened a few times where it blocked the website, I messaged the Community Editor. Later on I checked and there was a message posted and a reply. If they weren't experiencing any issues, it would take them time after getting emails from users talking about issues to look into it.

The point is they addressed it as soon as they could on the forum.

caliny
06-10-2011, 02:44 AM
If you're an IT guru and you can do better, then why don't you volunteer your services if this forum is so important to you? I'm pretty sure they are doing the best they can.

Yes it's annoying to reset a password daily but no one said you had to be on this forum.

Battleshort has been here day in and day out, through the many, MANY, technical and "communication" difficulties the forum and its members have endured for two years longer than you have. I suggest you check yourself and cut him the slack he has rightly earned on this board.

Shrike
06-10-2011, 04:30 AM
I think it's CCIXQ. His Chinese Intel overlords realized his misinformation campaign wasn't working so they decided to step up the pressure.

candycane3482
06-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Battleshort has been here day in and day out, through the many, MANY, technical and "communication" difficulties the forum and its members have endured for two years longer than you have. I suggest you check yourself and cut him the slack he has rightly earned on this board.

Really? I better "check myself." Big talk on an Internet forum...

Oh he's been here for two years - wow. (Slow clap starts now). Bravo to him. I still think that maybe he needs to cut the people who run this some slack and that if he can do better, give them a hand.

By the way (it's just an Internet forum).

Battleshort
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks, caliny. Since he/she/it has made my Ignore list, the drivel is now hidden.

caliny
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
BS~That would probably be a better option for me, too. ;)

Candy, you missed my point. He (and others) have been here through the old and new forum moderation and seen NO improvement other than the smileys. At numerous points, he HAS offered suggestions and help. However, when they seem to fall on deaf ears and no response was forthcoming from admin (unlike it had been previously), frustrations build up. Since that was before your time here, and your responses (here and elsewhere) indicate that you are not aware of those discussions, perhaps you need to take a step back and realize that there IS a context for what you're reading--and it's one of which you're unaware. It's as simple as that.

CVal
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
The reduction in spam has been excellent, too. I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Great point about context, Cali.

Banned
06-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Now granted, I haven't been here for very long. But I have been on messaging boards far slower, buggier, and spammier than this one. Running a giant clusterfuck like this isn't something I would like to do, nor do I envy someone who does.

bombsquadron6
06-12-2011, 06:43 PM
It does seem a little unfair to condemn the Community Editor and the tech people who run this site. The International Monetary Fund, IMF, just got hacked and they have some of the most sophisicated people and computers in the world. If it can happen to them it can happen to any other group. Still, I would like to know who did this and why.

Your_Name_Here
06-12-2011, 07:06 PM
It isn't all bad news. Spam and ads used to proliferate the message boards. They are all but eliminated, and I can't really remember the last time I saw one around these parts.

bombsquadron6
06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
What's up with the counters? There are a bunch of new threads that have multiple replies but the counter says no one has viewed them. There is some fuzzy math going on here.

Battleshort
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Now we're having posting issues again.

Get with the program.

....and login also

Measure Man
06-24-2011, 04:20 PM
My password didn't work today. So, I tried the old pre-cyber attack password..and it works now....lol

Battleshort
06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Still issues with log in and delayed posts.............

CVal
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
When I log in, I get the "thank you for logging in" message, but the screen still looks like it wants me to log in, i.e., my s/n is not showing at the top. But if I click on "new posts" or whatever, the screen refreshes and my s/n is at the top. <shrug>

CommunityEditor
06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
The Military Times Forums are back on the main server, please let us know if there are any more issues, thank you for your patience.

CVal
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the update, CE.

Battleshort
07-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Is it just me or is the Forum really dragging it's ass on loading pages.............

Shrike
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Is it just me or is the Forum really dragging it's ass on loading pages.............
It's not just you...but whatever the problem was it seems to have passed.

Battleshort
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
You people are losing membership fast.

I hope your advertisers are reading this.

Get your shit together.

Battleshort
07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
You people are losing membership fast.

I hope your advertisers are reading this.

Get your shit together.

Edit: Hit Post Reply once and got a double. Asked me if I wanted to navigate away from the page.....................WTF?

Banned
07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
On a positive note, I like the moderation (or lack thereof). I've been on other message boards where the editors are complete Nazis. Its irritating.

Shrike
07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
On a positive note, I like the moderation (or lack thereof). I've been on other message boards where the editors are complete Nazis. Its irritating.
It's gotten a lot better. When the new admin's took over, you wouldn't believe the type of crap they were editing out of people's posts. It became readily apparent that:
a) They had little or no experience with military terminology (so just like the Military Times reporters. :) )
b) They were worried that the delicate sensibilities of the military folks who come here might be upset by words like "penis".

They've backed off quite a bit, and rightly so.

Administrator
08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
The Military Times Forums database will be transferred to a new server beginning at 4 a.m. EST on August 3rd. Work is expected to conclude no later than 6 a.m. Please be aware that any posts made during this time may not transfer to the new database and could be deleted. Longtime users will be relieved to learn that these new servers are up to 8x more powerful than existing hardware and should prevent future outages. Thank you for your patience and understanding as our team worked with our Gannett Co. IT staff to make these upgrades possible.

MACHINE666
08-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I figure that all these server troubles have been the secret work of Smarg and Michaep forming an allegiance and hiring Ccxiq to meddle with the message board. They're the root of the cause!

:D :D :D :D :D

BURAWSKI
08-03-2011, 06:23 AM
I'd like to thank Military Times Administrators for running these boards. I think having an avenue to express your opinions is a great concept and my hope is that the change to the newer servers will only enhance our capabilities to be heard.

RobotChicken
05-09-2013, 02:05 AM
:lock1 Hmmmmmmm....:baby